| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2403 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 97  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Playground randomness thread
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:55 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Now Malka is barfing in addition to the sniffling/hacking. My husband has been sick for like a week and a half. My congestion is getting worse instead of better.

I. Am. Tired. Of. This. Child. Making. Me. Sick.

In other news, Malka now needs to be holding a book to go to bed. It's very amusing.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:40 am 
Married to the wolfman

GuineaPig wrote:
Putting pajamas on a one-year old at bedtime is like muay thai fighting a kangaroo, I'm pooped!

I've discovered that with M, it's easier to change his clothing after he's asleep. Process that for a second. It's crazy! Kids, people. What the heck.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:13 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

What sort of things would y'all recommend for a 1 1/2 year old on a long plane ride? Freya's bff (heh) is leaving later this week, emigrating to Australia. We are going to miss them loads and are hoping to put together a going away package that might keep S busy on their plane journey (and save mom's sanity). He's a very active, curious little boy.

I'm still secretly hoping they'll decide to stay...maybe I can bribe them with really good presents? :(

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:07 pm 
Semen Strong

I am getting so tired of people telling me that my kid is going to hate me. I can imagine that she is going to get frustrated with me, as I will with her, but I don't think we're ever going to hate each other. I know people think that is naive and "just you wait." But really, I hope that the AP stuff we do and all the respect and love we model for her will help us keep a respectful and loving relationship alive, with open communication and lots of gratitude and care.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:15 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

Tlish, I think hate is the wrong word for sure. It's more like "will challenge you", "may want to be the exact opposite of you JUST BECAUSE", "will want some distance from you". All of those things can be part of growing up, ya know? I agree that if you continue to always strive for a loving, respectful relationship with her, that there's no reason she'd hate you! Maybe I am naive too. But I was also a hellion teenager and I never "hated" my parents - I just didn't want to listen to them or be like them.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:03 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

You know, Shae is almost 14 and he's never said he hated either of us, or didn't like us, or anything like that. Of course we still have plenty of years for him to start, haha. I just don't think it has to be that way, you know?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:33 pm 
Semen Strong

Kelly wrote:
You know, Shae is almost 14 and he's never said he hated either of us, or didn't like us, or anything like that. Of course we still have plenty of years for him to start, haha. I just don't think it has to be that way, you know?

I don't think it does either, and my partner is FANTASTIC at reminding me of that. Seriously, I love that he doesn't indulge in any of that talk ever.

I was walking Cuddles and had Leela on my back, and this woman came up to us and was telling me that you need a ratio of one dog per daughter, because when your daughter hates you at least your dog loves you. She has two daughters and 2 dogs.

And I feel like I hear it everywhere - especially from mothers with sons. My MIL and B's cousin both have only ever had sons, but both of them will go on for ages talking about how grateful they are that they didn't have a girl. B's cousin's son is the kid that no one is surprised turns out to be a serial killer - he loves to hunt and tortures animals for fun and he has these crazy rage outbursts where he threatens to take a gun to school or shoot his mother in the head. But at least he isn't a girl. Because then she's be crying over clothes. Because that is what girls do.

My MIL repeats over and over again that you can't trust women. I keep wondering if she knows that she is one.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:57 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I can't believe people talk like that. I mean, I actually can believe it because I've heard it, but it's just so... unbelievable.

Anyway, I wanted to mention my awesome dream! I don't remember the whole dream, but in my dream, I saw Carlos as a 5 year old. And he ran up to me and hugged me and it was so cute and precious and just awesome. He looked like an older version of Carlos, but he could stand and walk and run. He still had crazy hair and he was wearing a blue shirt with patches on it (to make it look like a rag doll shirt, kind of - it wasn't actually worn it, it was just a style). It was super cute.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:06 pm 
Semen Strong

Oh that is too cute!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:13 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

That's adorable Kimba!

Tofulish, I've heard people say a ton of negative things about boys and don't I wish I had girls instead? I think it sticks with me more because I do have boys. I always say that my boys are amazing, check back with me when they're grown and I'll be saying the same thing.

I swear this is along the same lines as the crepe people say to pregnant women. They just HAVE to say something, even if its ridiculous.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:25 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

well, i kind of hated my parents for about 4 years. not like, all the time, and i never said it to their faces, but i was very dismissive of who they were as people and what they did and basically everything about them. and i was rude and mean about them behind their backs and avoided spending as much time as possible with them. i got over it and love them now...now that i can separate the things about their value system which i dislike from their worth as people. i don't think it's a "girl" thing specifically, but i do think girls are either socially conditioned or biologically predispositioned to be emotionally volatile during adolescence, and to take it out on their families, verbally, rather than engaging in the kinds of anti-social behavior that boys do. i said and wrote some awful things to my mother. i feel terrible about it now!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:08 pm 
Dead by dawn

littlebird wrote:
i don't think it's a "girl" thing specifically, but i do think girls are either socially conditioned or biologically predispositioned to be emotionally volatile during adolescence, and to take it out on their families, verbally, rather than engaging in the kinds of anti-social behavior that boys do. i said and wrote some awful things to my mother. i feel terrible about it now!

I never hated my mom, but I did say some horrible things to her and about her. I totally agree with the above... looking back, though, I think I knew I could take that emotional volatility out on my mother verbally because I trusted her to love me anyway. We have a very close relationship today. Your relationship with Leela will not always be smooth and perfect, but that love and respect you're trying to foster will make it resilient.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:49 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I kind of think if your kid says they hate you it's pretty good evidence that they love and trust you. I never told my parents I hated them, but I did and still have really strong negative feelings about them. Actual childhood hatred of parents = coldness, aloofness, avoidance, silence, self-harm, introvertedness, making yourself invisible. Histrionic teenage "hatred" = slamming doors, yelling at parents, telling them you hate them, writing diatribes against them, etc.

I am glad for my bubble. Nobody has said shiitake about girls vs. boys to me. Maybe because they know I'd punch them?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:54 pm 
Semen Strong

I wish people knew I'd punch them! I guess I have to start punching people now. Time to accept that Xmas invitation from my MIL, I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:55 pm 
Inflexitarian

I never actually hated my mom but I certainly told both my parents that I hated them over things that I felt, at the time, were so important (like going to the mall with friends or going to a college party when I was 14 and them saying no). And I was a really good kid who did everything you're supposed to do and had two really great supportive parents who were always there for me no matter what. Guineapiglet's dad and I used to joke "I wonder when will be the first time she says 'I hate you!' " we've each placed our bet on the age she'll say it first. We don't think she'll actually hate us but we fully expect, as a part of growing up and trying to find your independence in the world that she'll feel we're trying to ruin her life by not letting her do something or another just as we did with our parents and our parents did with theirs and so on. Do we think she'll ever actually hate us? No, just as we never actually hated our parents. I certainly have had many rough patches with my mom over the years but I can say with confidence that we still remain close, loving and supportive of each other. And she's still one of the only people I'll sit on the phone and talk for hours with.

My friends are really split half and half on this. Half of my girlfriends have always had really solid relationships with their mothers with no strife and the other half have had some really rough years along the way. But now that we're in our 30s I think everyone has a different appreciation for our mothers and the bond is different, stronger and better.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:56 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Hahahaha. You don't come off nearly as hostile as you could. Something to work on in the new year, put it on your list.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:00 pm 
Inflexitarian

Tofulish wrote:
I wish people knew I'd punch them! I guess I have to start punching people now. Time to accept that Xmas invitation from my MIL, I guess.

I find slapping to be a more "shock and awe" approach to punching. You could always slap with a glove for dramatic effect as well.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:03 pm 
Semen Strong

Ariann wrote:
Hahahaha. You don't come off nearly as hostile as you could. Something to work on in the new year, put it on your list.

Ha! Its taken so much work to get to sounding non-judgmental in the face of idiocy! I am still trying to work on coming across as less hostile. I could use some good pithy comebacks, if you've got any.

Hahaha fun fact. B's cousin doesn't speak to me any more bc I called her ignorant.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:10 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Ha! Yeah. I don't have good comebacks. I have good "I'll never call you backs." I do tell people that the things they are saying are not okay to say and that we won't continue having a conversation if they continue to say such things. I've only ever punched like two people and once I was a 12-year-old and it was my best friend and the other time I was drunk and talking to a misogynist. They both super provoked it, though.

I have never experienced you as coming off as hostile. And I have a good number of close friends so I guess people don't experience me that way, either, but they know I don't suffer fools.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:57 am 
Semen Strong

I bumped into one of the moms I know IRL, who is vehemently against formula and vaxing. Her husband was holding their 6 month old and smoking.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:50 am 

/facepalm

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:07 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I imagine this is something they've had a lot of arguments about.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:09 pm 

Does anyone know what's become of Momo...maybe you see her on FB, etc? Was thinking these past few days about the lovely PPKers I shared my preggo time with, and realized I haven't seen her around in awhile.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:54 pm 
Inflexitarian

According to my instagram she's still living life as a kick asparagus knitter, kick asparagus mama and kick asparagus chica and her little one is so darn cute!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:11 pm 

Ah, she should come back and share cute pics then!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2403 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 97  Next