| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 370 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Slings/carriers/papooses..what do you recommend?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:08 pm 
Married to the wolfman

If it's significantly icy, I'll probably just stay inside, because I am clumsy as shiitake. But if it's just cold (my hope) and rainy, I'll have to work something out. At 23ish lbs, dude is like tearing my abs apart when I wear him on front.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:07 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

You can use that peekaru vest for a back carry, too. Probably a major hassle to get it on. I haven't tried it yet.

Map, I have the same problem with the clothing issue. I wish I could switch between the stroller and baby wearing, but you have to dress so differently it doesn't really work. One thing that has helped a bit is we have this one-piece bunting/fleece that goes over her regular clothes. That way it's just one thing to put on when we go to the stroller. Here she is modeling.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:34 am 
Semen Strong

I love the bunting! I will say that getting a fleece jacket zipped over us in a back carry is way easier than a Peekaru. Plus a Peekaru is pricey and doesn't keep your arms warm. Oh and L likes to be able to get one hand free to wave at. Things and in the Peekaru the baby's arms are under the fleece. So there you have my thoughts on the Peekaru.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:31 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

My feelings on the Peekaru- I use it a lot, so it is useful, but it could be a lot better. I think it should have unzippable arms so it can be used in vest or jacket mode. Redic that I have to wear an open jacket on top of it. I understand the zipper is on the side so it can be worn in front or back carry mode- but I can't zip the side zipper. So I need help every time I wear it. I have to check LittleMap constantly to make sure his little head is still sticking out his head hole, he falls inside it sometimes. His head hole should have a zipper or button, it's stupid that if he falls asleep while we are out he gets woken up when we get inside due to me pulling it over his head. If I had known all this ahead of time, I think I would have bought a way more expensive baby wearing jacket with smarter features instead- but now I have this vest, and he *is* very warm and cozy in it, so it's not all negatives.

We have a fuzzy suit, too, Butternut, but LittleMap isn't quite big enough for it yet. Maybe in a month! Then we could just leave that in the stroller and it's one layer to negotiate when we are out and about.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:18 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I wish the giant fleece jacket solution worked all the time dor us! Now it's just too cold for me not to wear a real coat. We got a couple fleecy suits for tiny wu at the secondhand shop, so she wears her clothes, a suit, and a hat and booties. Also for outdoors we use our vintage corduroy snugli, which gets really warm, and at 6weeks old her legs are still inside. But, me wearing the big coat under the carrier means if she falls asleep--and she does--then I'm stuck in my coat indefinitely.

On another note, we love bw so much we just got a moby--our first wrap carrier. tiny wu is only 6 weeks and just over 9 lbs, but she likes to stretch her legs out, so I'm not sure the best way to carry her. suggestions? I haven't found a bw group here in Denmark, sadly.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:31 pm 

Scandina, that's interesting as one of the bigwigs in the babywearing world is this Danish guy: http://www.babywearingconference.co.uk/keynote-speaker/ (who founded? Ergo baby)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:48 pm 
***LIES!!!***

The Moby carrier was our favorite! If Baby is willing to do kangaroo-pouch style, that is super comfortable for everybody and also adorable and easy to do. If he's not, the two next-best choices are sideways carry and X facing you carry. Sideways carry (which I haven't seen anybody but me and my husband do) involves putting the baby in as though you're doing the kangaroo carry, but sideways, so that they are sitting facing to the right or left of you. This carry is great because the kids are basically sitting comfortably in the Moby, but they still can see the world, their legs get a little more room to maneuver, and if they fall asleep or it's chilly, you can pull a shoulder strap to cover the side of their head - still nothing in front of the face at all, so plenty of room to breathe, but full coverage. Malka enjoyed sideways carry for months. Here's my husband demonstrating when Malka was about 10 weeks - you can put the outer arm in or out depending on how much they want to wave: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

The classic X carry with their legs dangling will require more winter protection on their lower half. My solution of wearing an extra large and long jacket worked really well last year when Malka was 3-5 months old and often in an X carry (facing in or facing out).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:56 pm 
Semen Strong

I LOVE THAT PICTURE!!! Chubby baby Malka!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:22 am 
Not NOT A Furry

refinnej wrote:
Scandina, that's interesting as one of the bigwigs in the babywearing world is this Danish guy: http://www.babywearingconference.co.uk/keynote-speaker/ (who founded? Ergo baby)

Well, we don't live in Copenhagen--maybe that's where all the babywearers are? I don't terribly often see people wearing babies in our city here (we used to live in Berkeley CA, and it seemed much more common there), mostly just using prams. No one in my mothergroup uses a carrier at all, but maybe we can find some other crunchy hippie types somehow....

Ariann, thanks for the tips--I will try them out straightaway!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:13 am 

Scandia- my sweetheart is Danish, and we were just in Odense and people were actually stopping me on the street to chat with me about me wearing LittleMap- I think it is definitely less common to wear your baby in Odense than in Oslo. I was just told that at Babywearing School (something to do with the International Babywearing thing-o) they recommend to not wear your baby outside your jacket until the baby is 1 year old- some babies easily get frostbite. A German woman on a forum told me there have been several instances in Germany with babies getting frostbite when they were worn outside the parent's jacket. We are using a tri-cot slen now (A Belgian version of a stretchy wrap that is basically like a Moby) and I can tell that LittleMap is about to outgrow it (the material is too giving as he gets heavier). I am asking for a woven wrap for Christmas. Both the nice Norwegian brand of wraps and the nice German brand of wraps have some for sale, and the German ebay has a lot also. http://www.ellevill.com/categories/restelager http://www.didymos.de/en/Special-Offers/
I'm using this carry in the stretchy wrap that I really like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ekpqs0b6KA except I wrap the material around my tummy at the end a couple more times and pull that up over LittleMap also so that there are four layers of fabric holding him up. It's really secure and cozy.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:58 am 
Semen Strong

There are a lot of good babywearing resources out of the UK.

Plus you guys get the Manduca, which is a fantastic carrier that works great for all sizes. It can't be sold in the US bc Ergo threatened to sue it if it sells here for patent infringement, which is ludicrous bc the Manduca is so much better. My sister wore her daughter in her Manduca from near birth until she was almost 3. She has older twins and neede her hands free!

http://www.manduca-baby-carrier.eu/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:49 am 

OMG Ariann- I wish I could eat while wearing littlemap! curse these short arms. as it is we try to time everything just right so he falls asleep, we finish preparing dinner, and try to eat before he wakes up. this never works, so then we take turns eating and baby minding.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:15 am 
Bathes in Braggs

mapmapmap wrote:
Scandia- my sweetheart is Danish, and we were just in Odense and people were actually stopping me on the street to chat with me about me wearing LittleMap- I think it is definitely less common to wear your baby in Odense than in Oslo. I was just told that at Babywearing School (something to do with the International Babywearing thing-o) they recommend to not wear your baby outside your jacket until the baby is 1 year old- some babies easily get frostbite. A German woman on a forum told me there have been several instances in Germany with babies getting frostbite when they were worn outside the parent's jacket. We are using a tri-cot slen now (A Belgian version of a stretchy wrap that is basically like a Moby) and I can tell that LittleMap is about to outgrow it (the material is too giving as he gets heavier). I am asking for a woven wrap for Christmas. Both the nice Norwegian brand of wraps and the nice German brand of wraps have some for sale, and the German ebay has a lot also. http://www.ellevill.com/categories/restelager http://www.didymos.de/en/Special-Offers/
I'm using this carry in the stretchy wrap that I really like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ekpqs0b6KA except I wrap the material around my tummy at the end a couple more times and pull that up over LittleMap also so that there are four layers of fabric holding him up. It's really secure and cozy.

i have an ellevill... it's this one http://www.ellevill.com/en/products/jade-deli

i love it. so pretty, and very comfy. i have a short one, so i can really only do ruck carries although i squeezed the newborn into a front cross a couple days ago. i highly recommend that brand... they're so nice looking that you can wear it as a shawl and not feel like you've just got a giant swath of fabric draped over you.

we've done 3 winters of babywearing now, and i find you need a different approach for each stage. the first winter is super easy... with a newborn, they often fit under a regular coat and they can be wrapped up in a stretchy wrap, woven or sling, in just a sleeper and a hat. no need for mitts or boots, they're small enough that a front carry isn't really impractical for actually doing stuff, and they like being little furnaces.

the second winter with an older baby is the toughest. they're bigger, so front carries aren't always super comfy, they like to be active and move around but can't regulate their own temps well, so they have to be contained. i used a babywearing coat (http://www.upmama.com/catalog.php?category=12 )that i borrowed from a friend and which was really super. it was roomy enough that we didn't feel squashed and it was easy to adjust her for nursing or napping, it was easy to put on, and it was useful even without a carrier. there were definitely times i popped her in the coat and carried her out to the car, or into the grocery store, or whatever. that winter we mostly still just dressed her in regular clothes, but with mitts, hat and booties and a sweater. that winter, i also made a winter carrier cover with a waterproof outer layer and fleece inside. she still needed warm layers underneath, but not a full out snowsuit. i used that a few times for back carries.

the third winter was pretty easy. i'd usually put her in her snowsuit, put some legwarmers over her boots and pant legs to prevent a gap, and throw her up on my back in the boba. keeping her hat on was the hardest part, so i didn't do in super super cold temps. but it worked for most of our babywearing needs. she still fit into the cover, so i used that on colder days. the bulk of the snowsuit wasn't too bad, we use a compressable one anyway because of the carseat.

this winter i have a newborn AND a 3 year old who's still a slow walker, so i imagine i'll need to figure out a way to carry both of them occasionally.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:27 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

littlebird wrote:
we've done 3 winters of babywearing now, and i find you need a different approach for each stage. the first winter is super easy... with a newborn, they often fit under a regular coat and they can be wrapped up in a stretchy wrap, woven or sling, in just a sleeper and a hat. no need for mitts or boots, they're small enough that a front carry isn't really impractical for actually doing stuff, and they like being little furnaces.

the second winter with an older baby is the toughest. they're bigger, so front carries aren't always super comfy, they like to be active and move around but can't regulate their own temps well, so they have to be contained. i used a babywearing coat (http://www.upmama.com/catalog.php?category=12 )that i borrowed from a friend and which was really super. it was roomy enough that we didn't feel squashed and it was easy to adjust her for nursing or napping, it was easy to put on, and it was useful even without a carrier. there were definitely times i popped her in the coat and carried her out to the car, or into the grocery store, or whatever. that winter we mostly still just dressed her in regular clothes, but with mitts, hat and booties and a sweater. that winter, i also made a winter carrier cover with a waterproof outer layer and fleece inside. she still needed warm layers underneath, but not a full out snowsuit. i used that a few times for back carries.

This is where all my pondering about what to do comes in. I was expecting baby Z to be small and fit in the Cuddly Wrap (Moby-style wrap), and snuggle under my coat. But he is huge! I'm not even 100lbs myself, and he is nearly 20 already! So he's super heavy for me, and the stretchy wrap doesn't really cut it anymore. We've been using an Ergo, but none of my jackets really fit around him. I may end up just dress him warmly, and tuck a fleece blanket around him on the windy days.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:49 am 
Bathes in Braggs

yeah, i'd suggest investing in a carrier cover. they fit over backpack carriers so you can do a back carry which is so important with a heavier kid.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:16 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Good to know, thank you!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:34 am 
Not NOT A Furry

mapmapmap wrote:

That's definitely been my experience here too--even people in my mothergroup and at the HFS (which is where the crunchier types can be found) are really surprised and interested to see a baby up in a carrier. People comment on it all the time--mostly to say, "oh, she's sleeping so well in there! so sweet!"--but it seems like babywearing is just more unusual here.

Good to know about keeping baby inside the jacket. Of course I want her to be warm enough, but here the common practice is to put your baby outside in the pram for a nap unless it's below -10 C, so I wasn't sure. tiny wu is now back inside my borrowed "maternity" (really just large) fleece jacket. I think I will have to look for something else at the secondhand store, though, since it's not that heavy and not full-length, so not super suited to winter here.

I will have to check out the Norwegian wraps as tiny wu grows.

For the Moby, I've tried the front cross carry and that works really well. And I want to try some others, but am waiting til my husband comes home from working abroad so there's someone to help out and spot us as we get in. So glad the FCC worked, because, the "hug hold" that came with the wrap just didn't seem comfortable or reliable to me for some reason. The straps kept sliding down and off. I am a small person with narrow shoulders, so was worried the Moby just wouldn't be it for us, but now with a success under my belt I feel much better! (And so does tiny wu, who's napping in it as I type).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:56 pm 
***LIES!!!***

The thing with the Moby is that as long as you tie it tightly and always follow the rule of putting the kid in the "inner pocket" first (the shoulder cross strap closer to you), you're basically safe. All the other layers do is hold the kid more securely and warmly - it's that inner pocket which really is necessary to make it safe.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:42 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Ariann wrote:
The thing with the Moby is that as long as you tie it tightly and always follow the rule of putting the kid in the "inner pocket" first (the shoulder cross strap closer to you), you're basically safe. All the other layers do is hold the kid more securely and warmly - it's that inner pocket which really is necessary to make it safe.

Yeah, the pocket is the very most important part! Wraps are so very cozy!

Tangential note - the Moby's stretchy, right? Anyone have experience using it with a heavier child? Mine (Cuddly Wrap, just a stretchy wrap) says it goes up to 35 lbs. Really? That company doesn't recommend back carries, so it'd be on the front. So heavy! I know the little one won't fall out, but it seems like it'd get stretched out during use. I loved using it when Z was small, but now I've got three carriers and really don't need to be buying yet another, so no woven wrap for me right now. Maybe when I get my sewing machine working. But yeah, anyone done it with a larger baby?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:38 am 
Married to the wolfman

I carried the Emperor constantly in a Moby til he was like 23 or 24 lbs, and have occasionally stuck him in there at larger weights more or less for fun. If you tie it SUPER tightly, you can get away with it for a bit but yes, it sags quite badly at those weights. Some people told me washing it more frequently helps but that wasn't my experience.

With the Magician, I switched to a (homemade) woven wrap when he was like 15 lbs and then the ergo (mostly back carries) when he was maybe 6 months. He's still not as big as E was by the time I moved on for good from the moby!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:36 am 
Bathes in Braggs

c&s, my back aches just thinking about that! i stopped with the stretchy wrap by 16 or so lbs. of course, tzipi's tiny, so she was actually quite old by that weight and a more structured carrier was useful for other reasons than weight.

i'm getting a maya wrap sling for free! i was thisclose to buying a new one last week, but i held off cause i have spent a fair amount on carriers over the last couple years and the budget is pretty tight these days. i really wanted a sling though, since i loved my old one (a not very well made one that bit the dust ages ago). a friend was thinking about passing hers on so i get a practically new sling for the price of shipping. woo!

i'm thinking about attempting to make a back-carrying winter coat. someone gave me a down-filled jacket last year, and i've been wearing it since my only other jacket is a ski jacket that isn't super warm. but it's a little beat up and i'd like to replace it with a non-down jacket next year anyway, so i think i won't care too much if i kind of ruin it. i'm not sure yet how i'm going to do it... i'm going to have to google around and see what kind of tutorials are out there.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:50 am 
Married to the wolfman

E was still pretty young at that weight, but in hindsight, I should have switched way sooner.

Homemade back carry coat! Neat!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:06 pm 
***LIES!!!***

We (mostly my husband) carried Malka regularly in the Moby until 18 pounds or so. Then my husband switched to full-time Baby Bjorn use and I switched to a Mei Tai (we still front carry 99% of the time). She likes the Bjorn more than the Mei Tai, but basically can't deal with being in either more than few minutes now. She is still freaked out by back carry, she just doesn't understand it. We have gone back a few times to the Moby to chill her out when she's gotten hysterical around bed time - the very snug wrapping is very soothing for her. It seems to still work fine (she's 22 or so pounds).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:11 pm 

So, my family is asking about wish lists, etc. for Christmas for my gang. I'm going to ask for a baby wrap. I'm hoping to try and borrow an Ergo from our local sling meet on Thursday to try it out. I've heard really good things about the Kinderpack and we have had good times with our borrowed Mei Tai. I'm not sure what to ask for (it doesn't need to be one of these).

I need:
Something I can put on by myself, if needed
Able to do back carries with Freya now, before she's able to really assist me much in the process
strong enough to carry a tall, heavy munchkin
large enough to fit around my ample self
able to let Freya have her hands/arms free

I'd like, but not necessary:
something K could use too, even though he's tall and slim
could go in the washing machine

Hoping my family doesn't think this is too weird. They saw how happy she was in the Mei Tai this summer though, so yeah. :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:16 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

my vote is for a boba, especially if you find the ergo not fitting you right. kinderpacks are great too. definitely go with a ssc anyway.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 370 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next