| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: What do you do?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:24 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

j-dub wrote:
Fee wrote:
I don't think anyone sounds embarrassed about working for "the man"

But there are actually many jobs that aren't - and those individuals aren't necessarily privileged. In fact, they're probably underpaid and get no benefits.

Hell to the yes.

Well, I'm underpaid, get no benefits and work for "the man." :)

Just out of curiosity, what kind of jobs are you folks talking about?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:26 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

Assistant wine buyer at the third largest Whole Foods in the world. We have over 3000 wines and a wine bar. It's crazy and busy and custies want me to read their minds and think for them. But this is the happiest I've pretty much ever been with work. I get paid well for not having a degree, have awesome benefits and quite a bit of autonomy. And i get to go to fancy wine tastings and try amazing wine i could otherwise never afford. Plus, I superlove my team. They are amazing.

I'm also about to finish my first semester on my way to becoming a registered dietician. Chemistry is hard but I love kinda love it.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:31 pm 
Saggy Butt

I'm an undergrad university student. On the side I try to pick up work here and there, and so far I've only had seasonal stuff - working as a zombie at an amusement park at Halloween and now shelving kids' toys for the Christmas season. I'm hoping to get something a little more permanent (like, a year or two instead of a month or two!) but still probably some kind of banal part-time food-slingin' at a movie theatre or a coffee shop or something.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:35 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I'm a student nurse midwife. I'm so excited to graduate in May!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:36 pm 
Saggy Butt

I am a Nature's Marketplace Team Leader at Wegmans!
I have my own poster!

Untitled by norelle!, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:38 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Norelle wrote:
I have my own poster!

I used to work on the Nature's team at a Wegmans! I quit for internship!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:39 pm 

xGreenling wrote:
I'm an undergrad university student. On the side I try to pick up work here and there, and so far I've only had seasonal stuff - working as a zombie at an amusement park at Halloween and now shelving kids' toys for the Christmas season. I'm hoping to get something a little more permanent (like, a year or two instead of a month or two!) but still probably some kind of banal part-time food-slingin' at a movie theatre or a coffee shop or something.

I've wanted to get a job at a movie theater for the longest time. That was like my dream job when I was sixteen. In my imagination you just get to watch movies all day!*

*I know that's probably not the case, sadly.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:40 pm 

Norelle wrote:
I have my own poster!

Untitled by norelle!, on Flickr

That's so cool! You're famous :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:47 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I'm a self-employed massage therapist, energywork practitioner/instructor, and artist (I crochet stuff). I am also taking online (for-credit) classes to prepare to eventually apply to "real" music school.

Since I am self-employed, and I am not The Man, I do not work for The Man. My financial situation is sort of complicated since I have medical conditions that do not qualify for disability but prevent me from full-time employment anyway, but suffice it to say, I do not make a lot of money.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:51 pm 

choirqueer wrote:
I'm a self-employed massage therapist, energywork practitioner/instructor, and artist (I crochet stuff). I am also taking online (for-credit) classes to prepare to eventually apply to "real" music school.

Since I am self-employed, and I am not The Man, I do not work for The Man. My financial situation is sort of complicated since I have medical conditions that do not qualify for disability but prevent me from full-time employment anyway, but suffice it to say, I do not make a lot of money.

Gotcha, good example. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:01 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Another example: private school teachers typically make $10k or so less than public school teachers, don't get pension funds, and often don't get benefits.

Smaller companies usually can't afford to provide benefits like health care. I worked for a small carpet cleaning company for a while, and while moderately successful, health care was impossible. The best quotes were over $1000K/month per single employee. Owner's profit was $12,000/ month, but she had 15 employees. Some of the profit money went back into the company.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:06 pm 

lavawitch wrote:
Another example: private school teachers typically make $10k or so less than public school teachers, don't get pension funds, and often don't get benefits.

Smaller companies usually can't afford to provide benefits like health care. I worked for a small carpet cleaning company for a while, and while moderately successful, health care was impossible. The best quotes were over $1000K/month per single employee. Owner's profit was $12,000/ month, but she had 15 employees. Some of the profit money went back into the company.

I don't know. I guess I feel like if you're employed in the private sector, whether it's a small business or a big business, you're working for "the man." You're being exploited in the Marxist/surplus value sense. It's just "the man" comes in different sizes.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:09 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I suppose, but, in theory, smaller, local businesses are supposed to be better for the community.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:23 pm 
Impressive boner

I work for the government. It's a small, tucked away, barely heard of minor section of a large department. We're meant to support and assist those who've been legally appointed to deal with the affairs of those who are no longer mentally capable to do so (Usually due to dementia, brain injuries, cerebral palsy or mental illness.) but we tend to be more of an expensive hindrance. I haven't been to work for a little while due to a chronic medical condition and the time off has allowed me to realize that I don't want to do this job any more, but I'm not sure what I want to do. I have difficulty working with people but I'm limited in choice due to my financial needs.

Outside of the day job I'm a musician. I live for making music and would probably become a little unhinged without it. I only usually make back about 75% of my expenses but I don't mind, the day job picks up the financial slack.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:30 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

I'm workin' on a building.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:46 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

project engineer turned certified massage therapist. and yeah, i work for the man.

i make less than half of what i used to but i'm three times as happy - so i can't complain too much.

w00t!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:51 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

OH I forgot: I also catalogue lists that include things like,

(ace job imo)

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:19 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Quote:
But there are actually many jobs that aren't - and those individuals aren't necessarily privileged. In fact, they're probably underpaid and get no benefits.

I taught private school for a few years, and LW is spot-on- got good benefits, but a crummy salary (if my kids had been older, they would have gotten free tuition, which would have been a great deal, and that's how they maintain a good base of teachers).
What I do now, I could not do in the US: Self-employed, no health insurance. At least here I can pay out of pocket for electives, and for emergencies use the public system. My last job in the US was the Anti-Man-- running a non-profit to get people fit to vote, get their citizenship, go to college, become more active participants in society. But it was a 35-hour a week position, so no health insurance. It is part of the reason why we decided to come live down here for a while.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:42 am 
Tofu Pup

I study philosophy, my 5th and final year, so hopefully in 7 months I will have my master's degree. If it were possible I would study philosophy forever, I don't really wanna grow up and get some boring job (but you never know, maybe I will get a job I actually like!). Besides that I work at a collectively-run restaurant and bar. I work nights at the bar: the pay is okay, half of the collective are friends of mine and no bosses!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:52 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I'm librarian trained but since I started work at a large Further Education college as a librarian I have taken on other roles, so now I'm a support department manager, still responsible for the library but also careers guidance, admission, reprographics and a host of other stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:01 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I clerk for a judge, but that finishes on January's 18. I'm dying to be a criminal defence lawyer. Getting admitted as a solicitor on December 13 (hopefully).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:09 am 
Tofu Pup

I'm a grad student and a literary translator. I also teach Finnish as a foreign language. I'm not teaching or translating at the moment though since I'm working on my thesis.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:11 am 
WRETCHED

lavawitch wrote:
I suppose, but, in theory, smaller, local businesses are supposed to be better for the community.

Yeah, I associate large corporations with 'the man'. I work for a large one and I've been treated fairly well but they had been hugely profitable the last few years while laying off thousands of workers. Some of them I understand 'worker y works on x, we stopped doing x, no other options for worker y'. In other instances though, I makes no sense to me but I'm just a worker bee.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:15 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I definitely work for the man, since I'm in the Air Force. Actually, in many circumstances at work I am the man.

"forking vegans" ~~linanil

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:35 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i definitely work for the man.
i am an accounting jack of all trades at a company that provides mobile medical services to hospitals and doctors offices and surgery centers. we do many different things but the two main ones we do are lithotripsy (blasting kidney stones) and breast biopsy.

we have customers all over the country and also in S America and are own by a German country but i work in the home office in MA.

i process employee expense reports, do inventory related stuff for the breast biopsy division, and i handle all of our sales tax stuff (which i taught myself, FUN!), and other misc accounting crepe.

im completely burnt out and hate it here but i think it's more me than anything else. next year in April/May im gonna have a baby and am planning on leaving my job. no clue what i will eventually do for work after that since i have no marketable skills and have no clue what i want to do with my life.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next