| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Burnout Thread
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:22 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Anybody else feeling burnt out? I'm one week from the end of my internship and I've never been so tired in my life. My body, my mind, everything is just tired. This internship has been extremely emotionally taxing on me, and I'm just ready for it to be over.

Post subject: Re: The Burnout Thread
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:27 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Yes. Work has been nutty lately, and I've been running around like crazy just trying to keep up. I'm tired all the time.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:06 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

Totally. It's the end of the semester. I have a bunch of homework and a paper due and have to study for my final. We're in the midst if the craziest time of the year at work, and I'm also trying to learn a new position. Fred's new job means that if I don't see him at all unless I stay up until he comes home at 1.30-2am, but I work at 8 a lot, so I've been getting about 4-5 hours of sleep a night. This is after 13 hour days. And I'm still an introvert prone to anxiety and depression. And now I'm dealing with the loss of my aunt. Burnout barely begins to describe how I feel. All I ever want to do is sit on the couch and read or watch Star Trek and knit. But I can't. But I do anyway. Because I will go forking crazy.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:33 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

I work in retail. Tis the season. I'm ready for January.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:51 pm 
Saggy Butt

dakini wrote:

Retail plus exams. Ugggh. I am so ready for January, yeah.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:01 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

dakini wrote:

Totally.

I'm so excited though. Apparently there's a new law coming into effect in January in Mass that will mean we won't have to put price stickers on each individual item. This will make my life SO much easier.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:13 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I had it so bad yesterday. I mean it's still here today, but yesterday I was not functional at all, which sucked because I had (have) a million and five things to do...but my brain literally gave out on me and refused to function. Today...not much better, but I did just crank out like two pages of single space, so that's something, right?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:23 pm 
And you never will.

Ugh, yes, so burnt out. I want to get the Christmas decorations out and make things nice and fun for my kid, but I am so frackin' busy I just haven't had a chance. Taking care of a 2-year-old and a house is not so bad, but I also have weekly dessert orders for the cafe, I've had a million specialty orders for other random people, and I'm also selling to a pop-up shop this month so that's more more more. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for the business, but man I'd really like to be able to afford some child care so I don't have to spend every spare moment baking, and feel like I'm neglecting my child. And while we're at it, I'd like to go to bed before 2am and/or sleep past 6am just one night.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:28 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I have to say, I am ok right now. Working one day a week and having minimal requirements at home doesn't lend itself to huge burnout. But when I gave up my business the burnout was so massive and so all encompassing that I totally understand what others go through.

I was at a point that was so non functional that I could barely feed myself on weekdays, let alone the family... walking dogs on the weekend, laundry, dusting? Hell no. Sleeping only. So my thoughts are with those of you who are having the severe burnout now. Because it's not a fun thing

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:51 pm 

poopiebitch wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for the business, but man I'd really like to be able to afford some child care so I don't have to spend every spare moment baking, and feel like I'm neglecting my child. And while we're at it, I'd like to go to bed before 2am and/or sleep past 6am just one night.

That really sucks. :(

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:01 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

My clients have been very needy and abusive lately, and I have serious anxiety about going to my cousin's wedding in a week (yesterday my mom told me not to worry about what I wear to the rehearsal dinner because no matter what my extended family will say it is the wrong thing and that I'm fat and would look so much better if I lost 20 pounds) so I'm hella stressed and just have no space in my head for self-care. So much burnout.

I hope everyone gets a moment to breathe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:05 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I think I'm there. Not gonna lie, one of the big reasons I'm excited for jaw surgery next month- other than the fact that it'll correct a nasty open bite- is that I get to have about a month off from everything. I mean, I have vacation coming up, but I'm still stuck going to my shiitake deli job where the only perk is the coworkers. The thought of having to do anything makes me feel incredible sad and cranky. What I really want to do is be alone for a long, long time.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:54 pm 
And you never will.

JonnyWoop wrote:
poopiebitch wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for the business, but man I'd really like to be able to afford some child care so I don't have to spend every spare moment baking, and feel like I'm neglecting my child. And while we're at it, I'd like to go to bed before 2am and/or sleep past 6am just one night.

It does. I don't mean to sound so whiny, though. I think part of my problem is that my kid came to me yesterday with tears in his eyes saying "NO mummy work, sit with Peter... pleeeeease?". Ugh, way to make me feel like shiitake, kid.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:05 pm 

poopiebitch wrote:
JonnyWoop wrote:
poopiebitch wrote:

It does. I don't mean to sound so whiny, though. I think part of my problem is that my kid came to me yesterday with tears in his eyes saying "NO mummy work, sit with Peter... pleeeeease?". Ugh, way to make me feel like shiitake, kid.

Lol, your child speaks in the third person?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:34 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

aw pb you seem like you are a really attentive and loving parent and of COURSE your kiddo wants you to spend every waking moment with him, but don't feel like you are abandoning him just because you are spending some time working. <33

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:37 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

and yes, oh god so burnt out.
I keep falling asleep everywhere, am nauseous like 50% of the time, and busy busy busy with studio work.
at least in a few weeks I won't have to deal with school for a month and can possibly make up enough hours over the break that I can build up a buffer and work less job-for-money-hours next semester.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:42 pm 
And you never will.

JonnyWoop wrote:
Lol, your child speaks in the third person?

Haha, yes, he totally does. 2-year-olds aren't very good at subject or object pronouns, so they end up talking like elmo.

booberthefraggle wrote:
aw pb you seem like you are a really attentive and loving parent and of COURSE your kiddo wants you to spend every waking moment with him, but don't feel like you are abandoning him just because you are spending some time working. <33

I love you so much <3

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:43 pm 
And you never will.

booberthefraggle wrote:
and yes, oh god so burnt out.
I keep falling asleep everywhere, am nauseous like 50% of the time, and busy busy busy with studio work.
at least in a few weeks I won't have to deal with school for a month and can possibly make up enough hours over the break that I can build up a buffer and work less job-for-money-hours next semester.

Just reading that made me tired. I think you just need some cookies.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:47 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

omg yes.
cookies will solve everything.
so serious.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:20 am 
Kale Wreath

Yep, totally burnt out here. Also, my tummy seems to be rebelling against coffee now and there's still 2 weeks left. This is a serious state of affairs.

Internal dialog today:
9am, wake up, start working.

noon:
"can I go back to bed now?"
"NO"

1pm:
"NO"

2pm:
"NO"

3pm:
"NO"

4pm:
"ok, but only for 20 minutes"

*sleep for 80 minutes*

(cycle continues)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:40 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

pistachiorose wrote:
Yep, totally burnt out here. Also, my tummy seems to be rebelling against coffee now and there's still 2 weeks left. This is a serious state of affairs.

Can you drink maté? It might be easier on your stomach and still provide you with lots of energy. Warning, though, if you're at all like me you'll feel like you're on speed for a couple hours then crash hard. This isn't the typical reaction, I hear.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:03 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i am drinking my thing of mate right now (or chimarrão, as we call it) and the speed feeling is pretty much spot-on. yeeeeehaw!

i was looking forward to my schedule slowing down this month and then realized I've promised to spend my downtime developing curriculum. whoops. so much for relaxing summer and spending time at the beach!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:35 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

yeah. i'm basically past the stress and have reached the "i don't give a fork"-state. which would be okay if i didn't have my first exam tomorrow, and then another 5 (!) in the next month. no christmas break for me.. oh, and no other vacation for me until autumn 2013! because I have huge papers due, have to apply to design school and have to take classes all through summer unless I want to lose my only income, which is school support.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:18 pm 
Kale Wreath

j-dub wrote:
pistachiorose wrote:

Can you drink maté? It might be easier on your stomach and still provide you with lots of energy. Warning, though, if you're at all like me you'll feel like you're on speed for a couple hours then crash hard. This isn't the typical reaction, I hear.

I totally forgot about maté! I have some at home too. I just had some in lieu of my usual morning coffee, and I do feel energized, in a strange way - It's been awhile. Thanks for the brilliant suggestion!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:33 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

smoothie wrote:
yeah. i'm basically past the stress and have reached the "i don't give a fork"-state.

Me too! I just want to move, so bad, and it's finally getting close to happening so everything feels like 'UGH CAN I JUST GET THROUGH THIS DUMB bullshiitake FASTER SO I CAN MOVE ALREADY'. Everything else is dumb. Work, dumb. Holidays, dumb.

I also have a similar dialog to pistachiorose, except I get off work between 1:30-3 so I don't make it until four before napping (but I do only sleep for 20 minutes because I live in a world that conspires against me having naps).

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear