| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: It's feels so isolating being vegan sometimes!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:21 am 
Tofu Pup

Okay so I just need to vent to people who actually get it. I was criticized by some one on facebook for feeding my dog a vegan diet. She then went on to say she's passionate about animals. And I asked her if she's so passionate about them, then why does she still eat them? Well I got the typical omnivore response of eating humane meat and how human's are designed to eat meat. It would be nice to have some back up sometimes. I'm sure I'm not the only that's felt this way. How do you deal with the emotions? I feel like I can handle it better. Writing this has helped a little.

Post subject: Re: It's feels so isolating being vegan sometimes!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:49 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Hugs! I just try not to engage anymore or I say something silly in response. It's not worth the mental and emotional stress when someone is trolling you on Facebook and they're not interested in learning from what you write anyways.

My fb experience has improved 10000% since adding ppk fb friends and deciding who of my omni friends get to see my posts/profile.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:55 am 
Tofu Pup

The thing is, I was engaging in because she really is concerned about animals so I thought really elaborating on certain things would change her mind. I recommended that she check out Forks Over Knives and Earthlings and she said she would. If I think I can really get through to some one and make them question their beliefs I will.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:09 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

If you can get through to her without ripping your hair out, that's great! Once someone brings out the "but we're designed to eat meat!!" argument, I'm done. It never seems to go anywhere good!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:41 am 
Tofu Pup

Yeah you really do have to pick your battles. I at least got her to admit we don't need to eat animal products whether she realizes it or not. =)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:06 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Yeah... I have to agree, some arguments are simply not worth having. Some people just don't get it. Some people *never* are going to get it.

I am also very isolated in my veganism. I live in a part of the country where people are passionate about their meat. These same people are also passionate about their morality. However, the disconnect between their morality and their meat consumption is something they just can't see. They will defend to the death their right to eat meat.

Compassion is something you have to live, walk, eat, and breathe, right in front of them, day in, and day out, in utter silence if necessary. Without defending yourself, without even attracting attention to yourself. Eventually, someone is going to pull their head out, look around, and figure out that the person *living* compassion, empathy, mercy, kindness, gentleness, honesty, goodness, etc, is YOU! Not those who are screaming the loudest and defending their rights, or those who insist on enforcing their version of "morality"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:46 am 
Not NOT A Furry

A meat-eater, complaining about vegans on one forum: "Live and let live!" Irony-meter explodes.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:38 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I rarely ever post anything on facebook, so I don't even give people a chance to comment on anything I'm doing with my life. But I kind of live that way out in the real world too. Unless I am having a chat with someone who is really interested in me being vegan it doesn't even come up. I don't put it out there or make a big deal about it so no one else can either. The idea of constantly arguing or having debates with people over my personal life choices makes me annoyed, so I just don't do it. Not worth my time and energy.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:50 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i also just dont bother with it. i feel like unless you are the most intelligent well spoken vegan on the face of the planet with every single fact lined up perfectly with 12 references to back it up you always come off looking bad just for sticking up for your own beliefs.

i rarely post anything on fb about being vegan. i am one of those people that will post pictures of food they make but i dont post other vegan "things" on fb. it's just asking for a fight.

you can just come here and chat about vegan things with cool people or vent your frustrations :-)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:40 pm 
Saggy Butt

I try to say something witty in response. Here are a couple of great links for ideas on what to say:

http://www.chefmayrakitchen.com/witty-responses-to-five-common-vegan-questions

[*]http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?8441-Witty-vegan-comebacks-one-liners