| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 770 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Veganomicon
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:41 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

almiratanner wrote:
PSA: Make the Snobby Joes, as well as some oven fries. When it's done, but the oven fries in a pyrex and cover with the Snobby Joes and some daiya. Put it all back in the oven for 5-10 minutes until the daiya is melted. Eat it straight out of the pyrex.
[This was inspired by The Wallflower's (Vancouver restaurant) Thunder Fries]

Oh my goodness, this sounds amazing.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:36 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

tenderoni wrote:
Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
I'm going to make the Cornmeal-Masala Roasted Brussels Sprouts for dinner tonight (with Tamarind Lentils). But the recipe calls for 8 Tablespoons of oil?! And serves 4 to 6, so that's 1 and a half to two servings of oil just in the vegetable portion of dinner! I mean, I'm sure it would be delicious as is, but has anyone tried reducing the amount of oil in this recipe? Can I just cut it down to maybe 4 TBS? Should I replace some of the oil with broth?

I have had a lot of success cutting the oil in half for many of the recipes in this book so I don't think it would be a problem.

I ended up mixing the corn meal with 4 T oil plus 2 T veg broth, then coated the pan with one T oil. It turned out well, although I've never made them the original way, so I can't compare. Next time I'd probably double the seasoning in the corn meal mix, which is unusual for a v'con recipe with me.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:57 pm 
Nailed to the V

I made the lower fat banana bread and I didn't have molasses so I used 2T maple syrup. I don't know that I could taste the maple syrup - but the bread was PERFECT! I brought it to work and everyone loved it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:39 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

almiratanner wrote:
PSA: Make the Snobby Joes, as well as some oven fries. When it's done, but the oven fries in a pyrex and cover with the Snobby Joes and some daiya. Put it all back in the oven for 5-10 minutes until the daiya is melted. Eat it straight out of the pyrex.
[This was inspired by The Wallflower's (Vancouver restaurant) Thunder Fries]

Cheers for Thunder Fry Replica Dinners!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:00 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I finally got around to making the pumpkin baked ziti - delicious, as advertised!

I think the real star for me was the cashew ricotta. So good, so simple! I'm going to make it again to spread on bagels.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:10 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I can eat that cashew ricotta with a spoon it's so yummy! That pumpkin baked ziti is actually on my radar to make again this fall. I've only made it once, but it was delicious!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:11 pm 
Chard Martyr

annamal wrote:
I finally got around to making the pumpkin baked ziti - delicious, as advertised!

I think the real star for me was the cashew ricotta. So good, so simple! I'm going to make it again to spread on bagels.

there's an herbed cashew tofu spread meant for bagels in Vegan Brunch. It's delish!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:47 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Yum, I'll check it out! Vegan Brunch is another cookbook that I shamefully underuse.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:42 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I made the french lentil soup for the first time the other day. It is good and makes a ton!

I did change the method though: cooked the lentils with stock and bay leaves separately and added the cooked tomato/carrot/onion stuff when they were almost done, because I was not so happy about the instructions to cook legumes with an acid (tomato). Has worked awfully for me in the past. I also deglazed the tomato pan with a good splash of dry sherry. Yum!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:42 am 
Saggy Butt

I made the mashed potato rolls again yesterday, half in pull-aparts and half into flat buns. They are so soft and delicious. The boys ate the flat buns with veggie burgers. I find that I have to reduce the amount of water, dependent on the amount of liquid in the potatoes and the type of potato, and of course bread is finicky anyway depending on the flour and the humidity in the air.

I used a cup of water at first and added more "until it was right". I am not a cookbook author :-)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:32 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I just made the berry-coconut crisp using raspberries and mangoes. Ohhhh my stars. It took like 5 minutes to put together and tastes like a million dollars.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:30 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I made the Messy Rice with the Hot Sauce Glazed Tempeh last night - both were so good. Just the right amount of heat for me.

The only downside I had is the rice stuck to the pan and seemed to be done way before the suggested time. What I ate tasted just fine, I just hated cleaning the pot. :)

I think I'll definitely make it again, but I'll make it in my rice cooker. Takes longer but always turns out just right.

I keep looking at the Pumpkin Ziti and I want to make it because of all the great reviews, but something keeps holding me back. Maybe I'll read the great reviews again, ha ha.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:39 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Lily wrote:
I made the french lentil soup for the first time the other day. It is good and makes a ton!

I did change the method though: cooked the lentils with stock and bay leaves separately and added the cooked tomato/carrot/onion stuff when they were almost done, because I was not so happy about the instructions to cook legumes with an acid (tomato). Has worked awfully for me in the past. I also deglazed the tomato pan with a good splash of dry sherry. Yum!

I love that soup, and love how much it makes cause I can freeze some for later.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:39 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Lily wrote:

I can not, for the life of me, find french lentils in any of my nearby grocery stores. Can I just use basic canned lentils?

"Well! Fruit is stupid! These onions taste nothing like fruit!" -allularpunk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:56 am 

This might be a silly question, but I've never made yeasted bread before - when I'm making the focaccia, is it okay to let it rise overnight? I'm having friends over for dinner tomorrow night and we won't have time to let it rise right before baking it and I want it to be fresh baked when we eat it. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:02 pm 
Huffs Nooch

VeganMeredith wrote:
This might be a silly question, but I've never made yeasted bread before - when I'm making the focaccia, is it okay to let it rise overnight? I'm having friends over for dinner tomorrow night and we won't have time to let it rise right before baking it and I want it to be fresh baked when we eat it. Thanks!

You should be able to keep it in the fridge overnight to slow down the activity of the yeast, but you'd still need to take it out of the fridge in time to let it warm up and rise, I think. Maybe one of the more expert bakers can add to this. Is it out of the question to bake it the day before and gently reheat it?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:37 am 
Not NOT A Furry

VeganMeredith wrote:

I think it should work to make the dough and do the first rise, then shape it and put it in the fridge over night. Take it out to let it warm up when you turn the oven on.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:08 pm 

Thanks guys! I ended up just baking it the night before and warming it up tonight - I was worried that it wouldn't have enough time to warm up if I took it out of the fridge after work.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:08 pm 

Oh and it turned out awesome, although a bit dense. I may have kneaded it too much?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:55 am 
Saggy Butt

If it was too dense it may not have risen enough before baking, or there was too much flour for the amount of water.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:18 am 

Arisaig wrote:
If it was too dense it may not have risen enough before baking, or there was too much flour for the amount of water.

Thanks! I let it rise for longer than the amount of time it said and I thought it was ready, but I wasn't totally sure.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:46 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Moon wrote:
Lily wrote:

I can not, for the life of me, find french lentils in any of my nearby grocery stores. Can I just use basic canned lentils?

Can you find basic dried lentils? I'd go with those over canned. It would probably work with canned, but you'd have to adjust the cooking time since the lentils will be already cooked and you don't want to end up with total mush. And you will have to figure out how much already cooked lentils to use to equal the dried amount. And it's going to be more expensive to make with canned.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:16 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Moon wrote:
Lily wrote:

I always use just the regular brown lentils. If you were going to use canned ones, I'd sauté all the carrots/onions, then add the tomatoes, and sauté for a bit. Then add your broth/stock and a full can of lentils. Simmer for just a bit so the flavours meld without your lentils getting overdone. I'd try about 10 minutes or so.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:44 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Just tried the cheezy sauce and it was disgusting! Is it just that I don't have the right kind of nooch, or is this one of those love/hate recipes? I like my nooch on sandwiches just fine, but when it was warm - the worst thing I've cooked in a very long time.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:10 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

amonik wrote:
Just tried the cheezy sauce and it was disgusting! Is it just that I don't have the right kind of nooch, or is this one of those love/hate recipes? I like my nooch on sandwiches just fine, but when it was warm - the worst thing I've cooked in a very long time.

I think it's a love it or hate it kind of thing. Noochy cheese sauce was sort of an acquired taste for me.

Reply to topic  [ 770 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 31  Next