| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12778 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78 ... 512  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:48 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Chicki wrote:
A 'close' friend of mine had a party this weekend, and I was not invited. Because I am vegan. At least, that is what another mutual friend said, and I am pretty sure that is the reason. (My Fiancé agrees.)

I don't get it. Friends who know I am vegan always say 'oh, you are so cool about it, you never talk shiitake at restaurants, you don't get crazy when we eat meat etc'. Because I don't. I barely talk about it. Most people don't even know. What do they think will happen? That I will bring a bucket of fake blood and throw it at anyone wearing leather? that I will start preaching about the evils of meat when someone offers me a canape? Hell no. I have never been like that, nor have I done anything like that. I don't understand. I have known this person for years, gone on vacations with her and everything. My eating habits are a non-issue.

I was pretty upset. Oh well. I heard the party sucked anyway. Lots of drama.

It's not you, it's them. From what you've said, it sounds like having a vegan around makes them feel uncomfortable or guilty about their own food decisions. Very sad.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:01 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

karichelle wrote:
Chicki wrote:
A 'close' friend of mine had a party this weekend, and I was not invited. Because I am vegan. At least, that is what another mutual friend said, and I am pretty sure that is the reason. (My Fiancé agrees.)

I don't get it. Friends who know I am vegan always say 'oh, you are so cool about it, you never talk shiitake at restaurants, you don't get crazy when we eat meat etc'. Because I don't. I barely talk about it. Most people don't even know. What do they think will happen? That I will bring a bucket of fake blood and throw it at anyone wearing leather? that I will start preaching about the evils of meat when someone offers me a canape? Hell no. I have never been like that, nor have I done anything like that. I don't understand. I have known this person for years, gone on vacations with her and everything. My eating habits are a non-issue.

I was pretty upset. Oh well. I heard the party sucked anyway. Lots of drama.

It's not you, it's them. From what you've said, it sounds like having a vegan around makes them feel uncomfortable or guilty about their own food decisions. Very sad.

I have a bad habit of picking shitty friends. Been doing it my whole life. I finally think I have a good group of friends, and they start being crassholes for one reason or another. Case in point - when I got engaged (like 4 years ago, jeez) I had a group of girlfriends that were single, and got upset that I was getting married. Refused to go to the wedding, refused to help me etc (I didn't even ask them for help!). They were 'tired of going to weddings' So yeah, I live in douchbag central. I try not to let it bother me, but it does sometimes. This is a thread for bisqueing about stuff, so I tend to vent a little.

You know what they say: "You can pick your friends, you can pick your nose, but you can't be vegan around anyone. Or get married."

(ok, maybe I am the only one that says that haha)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:57 pm 

Vent away...I was just trying to help you feel better. :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:10 am 
Grandfathered In

Meat eaters saying things like, "What's the point of fake meat? If you don't want to eat meat, why eat fake meat?!"

Dumbest question ever, and it's always asked rhetorically, with such authority, as though they're seeing right to the heart of a wicked, sprawling conspiracy.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:16 am 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

FootFace wrote:
Meat eaters saying things like, "What's the point of fake meat? If you don't want to eat meat, why eat fake meat?!"

Dumbest question ever, and it's always asked rhetorically, with such authority.

for a long time my dad tried to insist that my interest in fake meat was proof that i wanted to eat animal meats. i think it made him optimistic about it maybe being a phase i was going through. do people really not get that it might be as simple as wanting a little variety? i don't want to eat ham, but i also don't want to eat hummus and lettuce wraps every day for the rest of my life.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:20 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

It's even more annoying when it's coming from another vegan.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:21 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Fee wrote:
It's even more annoying when it's coming from another vegan.

It is more annoying. Because their veganism is superior to your veganism. Ugh!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:22 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I actually do answer: "Most vegetarians didn't stop eating meat because of disliking it, but because of ethical and/or health reasons."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:32 am 

Oh yes, the old "I'm more vegan than YOOUUUUUUU" argument.

Love that one.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:35 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

There is nothing I hate more than our REQUIRED department holiday potluck. I'm sure I've bitched about it on this very thread but UH! All the male supervisors buy a bird or a pig and the secretary makes a big deal about how generous they are. Then the rest of us are supposed to bring potluck stuff. Since one year I complained about making the main course more inclusive she always adds this line "For those with special diet concerns please bring a dish you are able to consume" which makes me really annoyed because obviously I will bring something I can consume!!!

I try to be cool in line, "ooo how did you make this bean salad?" then other "helpful" people try to tell me what might be vegan out of their obviously-to-me non vegan dish and I have to get into what is and isn't. One friend interrogates everyone on their ingredients even though I can easily tell it's not going to be vegan. Even if I am nowhere near her! She'll holler across the room, "Here you go, you can just pick the cheese off of this casserole". Then people (mostly my bosses boss) start make fun of me and talk about how they could never give up cheese or people eating tasty animals or all the other stupid things that people say. Then they all laugh about our rescued turkey's. Or talk about Lazysmurf's healthy cupcakes (they are not!) or here is Lazysmurf's gluten free stuff ARGH I dread every moment leading up to it. It's like the whole vegan pet peeves thread wrapped into one event.

But it's really not that bad! I wish I didn't dread it. It's, like, an hour out of my life. I'm thinking this year I will just bring my own lunch, avoid the potluck line, and see what happens. I'll probably just get a zillion people asking me why I didn't want to participate.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:52 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

My boyfriend's office team goes out of their way now to bring in vegan food and do their best to get him a meal or cookies (in the case of his bday). If it will not work they will tell him in advance and usually give him time off to eat...

My gripe of the day: Hollywood celebs masking extreme dieting as veganisim, failing to live off salad and then blaming veganisim...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:09 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

missmuffcake wrote:

My gripe of the day: Hollywood celebs masking extreme dieting as veganisim, failing to live off salad and then blaming veganisim...

Who did it this time?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:43 pm 
WELFARIST!

Chicki wrote:
missmuffcake wrote:

Who did it this time?

Ellen DeGeneris, I think. I know that I read something about her eating eggs now or something.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:58 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Mr. Shankly wrote:

Ellen DeGeneris, I think. I know that I read something about her eating eggs now or something.

Nope...I was talking about Hayden Panettiere this time around...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:02 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

LazySmurf wrote:

But it's really not that bad! I wish I didn't dread it. It's, like, an hour out of my life. I'm thinking this year I will just bring my own lunch, avoid the potluck line, and see what happens. I'll probably just get a zillion people asking me why I didn't want to participate.

Come eat with me that day! You can tell all your coworkers a friend is having a crisis and needs you. Feel free to make up something entertaining.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:56 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

People who are in the middle of eating the veggie burger that was advertised as a veggie burger, which they just bought off me, and start complaining about how it doesn't have any meat.

Seriously. The food truck says 'vegan' and the veggie burger is advertised as 'veggie burger'. Why does that not protect me from this bullshiitake?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:07 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Paloma wrote:
People who are in the middle of eating the veggie burger that was advertised as a veggie burger, which they just bought off me, and start complaining about how it doesn't have any meat.

Seriously. The food truck says 'vegan' and the veggie burger is advertised as 'veggie burger'. Why does that not protect me from this bullshiitake?

How dare you sell what you advertise!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:41 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

mollyjade wrote:
LazySmurf wrote:

Come eat with me that day! You can tell all your coworkers a friend is having a crisis and needs you. Feel free to make up something entertaining.

It's REQUIRED! You aren't allowed to take vacation! Or be sick! They tried to cancel my trip to Hawaii one year just to go to this stupid potluck.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:51 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

FootFace wrote:

Dumbest question ever, and it's always asked rhetorically, with such authority, as though they're seeing right to the heart of a wicked, sprawling conspiracy.

And as if they're the first person to ever see to the heart of said conspiracy.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:03 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

LazySmurf wrote:
mollyjade wrote:
LazySmurf wrote:

It's REQUIRED! You aren't allowed to take vacation! Or be sick! They tried to cancel my trip to Hawaii one year just to go to this stupid potluck.

A mandatory party? Add the word mandatory to add fun to any party! especially for the people that don't want to go!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:06 pm 
Saggy Butt

FootFace wrote:

My best friend's husband says this EVERY thanksgiving when I mention what roast I've brought with me. And every year I have to say a lot of us didn't stop eating meat because we disliked the taste. This was the 6th year. I think I may have to skip next time.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:42 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Someone called my work yesterday to interrogate me on the cider-making process to ensure that it is vegan. I went through several stages: 1) Yay! A vegan! I can totally relate and put their minds at ease because I know we make a vegan product. 2) Oh! They don't believe me that we do not use animal products in filtering or vegan sugar. 3) Yay! They seem satisfied. 4) Last sentence: "Okay well we're not sure if we feel comfortable coming because we heard you have bees pollinating the orchard." And they hang up.

It is nature. Bees (freely!) pollinate the orchard. That's what they DO. Don't be dicks and give people like me a bad name. (For the record, we don't bring in bees, make honey, or force them to do anything).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:45 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

how dare you let forking BEES into your orchard? MONSTERS.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:45 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Are you sure it wasn't someone playing a practical joke? That sounds like a wind-up to me! (it's the quizzing you for ages, and then a final issue and hanging up without waiting to hear your answer that makes me think that.)

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:47 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

dropscone wrote:
Are you sure it wasn't someone playing a practical joke? That sounds like a wind-up to me! (it's the quizzing you for ages, and then a final issue and hanging up without waiting to hear your answer that makes me think that.)

No, it was definitely legit. I actually know of the guy through someone else.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12778 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78 ... 512  Next