| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: I organize my recipes like this....
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:18 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:52 pm
Posts: 74
Location: U.S. Coastal West
I need to do an overhaul of my recipe binder. It's busting at the seams.

I like to have my recipes printed single-sided on loose-leaf pages or clippings pasted on pages so that I can easily take them out of a binder and stick them onto my magnet board when they're in use. However, I have so many now that I need to do some pruning and probably create an index of some kind.

How do you have your loose recipes organized?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I organize my recipes like this....
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:39 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 12:58 pm
Posts: 164
Location: New England
My grandmother gave me a metal box and some index cards. And a few loose scraps of paper too, of course.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I organize my recipes like this....
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:36 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:11 am
Posts: 50
Mine are in a binder and I have them organized with tabs by category, but I think adding an index would be a great idea. Originally I had it in alphabetical order within each tabbed section, but then it became difficult to find a recipe if I didn't know what word it started with and then I'd end up flipping pages anyway.

But writing down an idex on each of my tabs would be pretty easy to scan for what I'm looking for, and then just adding new ones to the end of the section would make it easy.

What I've done with cookbooks is gone through and written down on a piece of paper all the recipes I want to try first and foremost (usually from reviews on the PPK) and the page #. Then I put that page in the front of the book. I can usually remember which recipe I read about is in a particular book, but even if not, it does make it easier than searching through the whole index of a book.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I organize my recipes like this....
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:46 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:02 pm
Posts: 51
Location: West Michigan
I keep mine on my computer. I put my most used ones in my drop box folder so I can get to them anywhere I have an internet connection. I like this because I can easily update if I change a recipe.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I organize my recipes like this....
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:22 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:46 pm
Posts: 3824
Location: 5 mi east of philly
i have an e-mail address specifically for recipes, and i access them from my ipod touch. (also helpful for subscribing to blogs, FYI. i have a thread around here somewhere dedicated to that topic.)

i put the recipe name and source in the title, although i should probably start putting the source in the very beginning of the body as well, because that'd make it easier to find something, since the ipod only shows you a certain amount of characters, and if the title is long, you won't know the author unless you open the mail.

i still have my old binder and index file around, but it's such a pain to keep it in order, since i'm lazy. with the ipod, i never actually take it out of it's place to use it.

_________________
I solved it for once and for all -- and for everyone -- by intentionally leaving behind some 9-lives burritos... ~Lorelei4mc
supercarrot.com, vegan groupony things, vegan coupons


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: I organize my recipes like this....
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:52 pm 
Chip Strong
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:51 am
Posts: 993
Location: RI
I have a binder with tabs for appetizers, entrees, etc, and I try to keep everything in sheet protectors. But right now its a mess with tons of new recipes jammed in the front. Need a bigger binder and more protectors.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I organize my recipes like this....
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:27 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:55 pm
Posts: 3022
Location: The land of maple syrup and beavers.
I have a number of printed pages, a few that permanently live on the fridge, others that are stuffed into various drawers in my desk, as well as a number of recipes saved on allrecipes.com and a bookmarks folder on my browser that has food links saved. Don't use my system.

_________________
Anyone for some German Shepherd Pie? - daisychain
Well! Fruit is stupid! These onions taste nothing like fruit! - allularpunk
Dwarf-tossing for God: A Story of Hope - Invictus


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I organize my recipes like this....
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:32 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:37 pm
Posts: 1084
Location: Western Mass
I have a composition notebook for mine. It's a work in progress, as I have printed recipes tucked in the back and lots of untested recipes. Also, a lot of them are online.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I organize my recipes like this....
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:08 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:13 am
Posts: 1805
Location: Southern United States
jenlovesdoggies wrote:
Mine are in a binder and I have them organized with tabs by category, but I think adding an index would be a great idea. Originally I had it in alphabetical order within each tabbed section, but then it became difficult to find a recipe if I didn't know what word it started with and then I'd end up flipping pages anyway.

But writing down an idex on each of my tabs would be pretty easy to scan for what I'm looking for, and then just adding new ones to the end of the section would make it easy.

What I've done with cookbooks is gone through and written down on a piece of paper all the recipes I want to try first and foremost (usually from reviews on the PPK) and the page #. Then I put that page in the front of the book. I can usually remember which recipe I read about is in a particular book, but even if not, it does make it easier than searching through the whole index of a book.


this is exactly what i do! we are organizing twins ;)

i also will nerdily add, that once i make a recipe for the first time, i pencil in a smiley or frown face (thankfully the frown faces are rare!) and put the date. i also jot down if i made any changes and/or what i will try different for next time.

_________________
"....but I finally found block tempeh a few weeks ago with the intent to give it my virginity." -Moon

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I organize my recipes like this....
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:11 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:13 am
Posts: 1805
Location: Southern United States
Moon wrote:
I have a number of printed pages, a few that permanently live on the fridge, others that are stuffed into various drawers in my desk, as well as a number of recipes saved on allrecipes.com and a bookmarks folder on my browser that has food links saved. Don't use my system.


LOL, but in a way your system is so awesome. you are so carefree and not anal about organization (no offense meant at all to jenlovesdoggies who i just dubbed my organizing twin!) that i can only imagine how laid back and chill you are in real life ;)

_________________
"....but I finally found block tempeh a few weeks ago with the intent to give it my virginity." -Moon

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I organize my recipes like this....
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:19 pm 
Not NOT A Furry
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:49 pm
Posts: 517
Location: Vancouver
I'm generally really organized, but all the recipes I use that aren't from a cookbook are scribbled down on scrap paper and shoved into a cookbook or floating around on my cookbook shelf.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I organize my recipes like this....
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:55 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:26 am
Posts: 107
Moon wrote:
I have a number of printed pages, a few that permanently live on the fridge, others that are stuffed into various drawers in my desk, as well as a number of recipes saved on allrecipes.com and a bookmarks folder on my browser that has food links saved. Don't use my system.


Haha! Recipes are to be collected! Not organized. I am so bad at writing recipes on a scrap of paper then adding it to the IPP. (Important Paper Pile.)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I organize my recipes like this....
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:01 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:38 am
Posts: 1144
Location: Windmill row
I keep most of my stuff as blog posts or drafts of blog posts (my blog currently has a 101 posts and 90 drafts, I try to keep the number of drafts lower than the number of posts). Recipes I find online often live for weeks as open tabs in my webbrowser. My cookbooks are studded with paper slips and post-its to mark which recipes I like or intend to make at some point.

_________________
Can you read Dutch? Kom eens kijken op Vegetus!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I organize my recipes like this....
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:26 am 
Wears Durian Helmet
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:40 pm
Posts: 886
I have a binder with the recipes in sheet protectors, but now I pretty much have everything in Paprika on my iPad. It's a big improvement.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I organize my recipes like this....
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:02 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:03 pm
Posts: 2083
Location: I can't believe it's not England!
I have a pile of books, a few magazines that are scattered around (but I don't really cook from magazines) and I use pinterest for the blog recipes I use usually. Unless it's PPK recipes in which case I just poke around the recipes section to find what I need. Lately I've been doing a lot of 'inspired by' cooking so it's never exactly a recipe I'm following.

_________________
"Vegan to me means Oreos for breakfast." -Poopiebitch
"THE POWER OF NOOCH COMPELS YOU" -Gulliver


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I organize my recipes like this....
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:10 am 
And you never will.
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:41 pm
Posts: 3981
Location: Meh-phis
I have (an older version of) this. I pretty much love it.

_________________
I'm in a pure mood with poopietits now. Damn her jugs! - interrobang?!
give my you inquiries! and give poopie you burritos. - acr
Sometimes I think, it's really my lack of cybernetic implants that keeps me from being truly human. - Mars


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I organize my recipes like this....
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:13 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:52 pm
Posts: 74
Location: U.S. Coastal West
bookwormbethie wrote:
jenlovesdoggies wrote:
Mine are in a binder and I have them organized with tabs by category, but I think adding an index would be a great idea. Originally I had it in alphabetical order within each tabbed section, but then it became difficult to find a recipe if I didn't know what word it started with and then I'd end up flipping pages anyway.

But writing down an idex on each of my tabs would be pretty easy to scan for what I'm looking for, and then just adding new ones to the end of the section would make it easy.

What I've done with cookbooks is gone through and written down on a piece of paper all the recipes I want to try first and foremost (usually from reviews on the PPK) and the page #. Then I put that page in the front of the book. I can usually remember which recipe I read about is in a particular book, but even if not, it does make it easier than searching through the whole index of a book.


this is exactly what i do! we are organizing twins ;)

i also will nerdily add, that once i make a recipe for the first time, i pencil in a smiley or frown face (thankfully the frown faces are rare!) and put the date. i also jot down if i made any changes and/or what i will try different for next time.


I like the smiley face rating system!

One of my major sources for recipes is the library, which means lots of clunky photocopied pages. I also copy recipes from the internet onto a Notepad program and convert them to plain text. The big issue for me with all these compulsively-selected recipes is that I haven't made many of them! I really need to make a massive index or spreadsheet, with recipes sorted by name, ingredient, feature (baked? fried? raw?), cooking time, etc. Going though & getting rid of recipes I haven't used or I know I never will helps, too.

I'm not ready to have my recipes digitized for tablet use, but that does seem like an efficient way to do it. I must admit that I am still a sucker for flipping though paper, though.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I organize my recipes like this....
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:14 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:52 pm
Posts: 74
Location: U.S. Coastal West
poopiebitch wrote:
I have (an older version of) this. I pretty much love it.


Hey, this looks cool! It even has a nutritional analysis plugin!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I organize my recipes like this....
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:16 am 
And you never will.
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:41 pm
Posts: 3981
Location: Meh-phis
It is cool! The nutritional analysis is a little fiddly, but after you get it working well for you it's easy.

_________________
I'm in a pure mood with poopietits now. Damn her jugs! - interrobang?!
give my you inquiries! and give poopie you burritos. - acr
Sometimes I think, it's really my lack of cybernetic implants that keeps me from being truly human. - Mars


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I organize my recipes like this....
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:17 am 
Not NOT A Furry
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:26 pm
Posts: 466
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Gourmet Recipe Manager is free (as a bird, but also free of charge), open-source and cross-platform:
http://grecipe-manager.sourceforge.net/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I organize my recipes like this....
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:23 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:52 pm
Posts: 74
Location: U.S. Coastal West
poopiebitch wrote:
It is cool! The nutritional analysis is a little fiddly, but after you get it working well for you it's easy.


I'm definitely going to give this a try. I don't have an iPad, but all of the indexing & analytical features would still make it totally totally worth it.

I mean, why reinvent the wheel when you can just... download it from Apple? :)

ETA:
rhelune wrote:
Gourmet Recipe Manager is free (as a bird, but also free of charge), open-source and cross-platform:
http://grecipe-manager.sourceforge.net/


This also looks great, but I am really drawn to that nutritional analysis feature on MacGourmet. I'll check out both.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I organize my recipes like this....
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:47 pm 
Dead by dawn
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:54 pm
Posts: 7443
Location: Seattle
GymClassZero wrote:
I have a composition notebook for mine. It's a work in progress, as I have printed recipes tucked in the back and lots of untested recipes. Also, a lot of them are online.

This is me, exactly. Which means I never really know where to find that recipe I just know I have. Is it written in the spiral notebook? On a random piece of paper tucked into the back of it? Did I bookmark a blog post? Copy it into a Word document? Imagine it?

_________________
facebook
"The PPK: Come for the pie; stay for the croissants." - tinglepants!
"Cockblocked by Richard Branson- again!" - Erika Soyf*cker


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I organize my recipes like this....
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:12 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:13 am
Posts: 1805
Location: Southern United States
lizzielove wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:
jenlovesdoggies wrote:
Mine are in a binder and I have them organized with tabs by category, but I think adding an index would be a great idea. Originally I had it in alphabetical order within each tabbed section, but then it became difficult to find a recipe if I didn't know what word it started with and then I'd end up flipping pages anyway.

But writing down an idex on each of my tabs would be pretty easy to scan for what I'm looking for, and then just adding new ones to the end of the section would make it easy.

What I've done with cookbooks is gone through and written down on a piece of paper all the recipes I want to try first and foremost (usually from reviews on the PPK) and the page #. Then I put that page in the front of the book. I can usually remember which recipe I read about is in a particular book, but even if not, it does make it easier than searching through the whole index of a book.


this is exactly what i do! we are organizing twins ;)

i also will nerdily add, that once i make a recipe for the first time, i pencil in a smiley or frown face (thankfully the frown faces are rare!) and put the date. i also jot down if i made any changes and/or what i will try different for next time.


I like the smiley face rating system!

One of my major sources for recipes is the library, which means lots of clunky photocopied pages. I also copy recipes from the internet onto a Notepad program and convert them to plain text. The big issue for me with all these compulsively-selected recipes is that I haven't made many of them! I really need to make a massive index or spreadsheet, with recipes sorted by name, ingredient, feature (baked? fried? raw?), cooking time, etc. Going though & getting rid of recipes I haven't used or I know I never will helps, too.

I'm not ready to have my recipes digitized for tablet use, but that does seem like an efficient way to do it. I must admit that I am still a sucker for flipping though paper, though.



i'm in no way ready to digitize my recipes for tablet use either, esp since i don't even know what a tablet is. i just got a smart phone a year ago, i do like it a lot, but i'm still old school. i still play CDs on my boombox that has a tape deck i might add! and yes, i still have cassettes! i swoon for paper!

_________________
"....but I finally found block tempeh a few weeks ago with the intent to give it my virginity." -Moon

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I organize my recipes like this....
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:42 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:16 pm
Posts: 1045
Location: ATX
Right now I have a big file folder with hanging files sorted into categories...but after reading this thread I can't believe I never thought of digitizing them and keeping them in my Dropbox to access on my phone. I'm going to make that my new project!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I organize my recipes like this....
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:44 pm 
Not NOT A Furry
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:26 pm
Posts: 466
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
I do have a tablet, but don't want to use it in the kitchen because I'm terribly clumsy. I print recipes when I need them (or, sometimes, just read them and if necessary make a few trips to and from computer to make sure I use the correct amounts of ingredients).

- recipes from magazines - in a binder
- printed recipes - in a drawer
- one cookbook shelf; I, too, write in my cookbooks
- recipes on the blogs - I use RSSOwl RSS reader, label recipes, so when I do clean-up, labelled posts don't get deleted. The problem is searching for ingredients: many bloggers don't make whole posts available in RSS, just a few sentences.
- recipes on the web - a folder in my browser Bookmarks
- one folder on the disk with a few recipes in plain text
- One email folder for recipes I'm subscribed to (PCRM, other animal rights orgs)
- Calibre for PDFs
- Gourmet Recipe Manager for my recipes (I gave up importing recipes from blogs, websites etc.)
- many of my recipes exist only in my CRON-o-Meter logs

So, when I precook the legume of the week, I have to search in many different places for recipes with that legume.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: solipsistnation and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer