| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I organize my recipes like this....
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:18 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I need to do an overhaul of my recipe binder. It's busting at the seams.

I like to have my recipes printed single-sided on loose-leaf pages or clippings pasted on pages so that I can easily take them out of a binder and stick them onto my magnet board when they're in use. However, I have so many now that I need to do some pruning and probably create an index of some kind.

How do you have your loose recipes organized?

Post subject: Re: I organize my recipes like this....
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:39 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

My grandmother gave me a metal box and some index cards. And a few loose scraps of paper too, of course.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:36 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Mine are in a binder and I have them organized with tabs by category, but I think adding an index would be a great idea. Originally I had it in alphabetical order within each tabbed section, but then it became difficult to find a recipe if I didn't know what word it started with and then I'd end up flipping pages anyway.

But writing down an idex on each of my tabs would be pretty easy to scan for what I'm looking for, and then just adding new ones to the end of the section would make it easy.

What I've done with cookbooks is gone through and written down on a piece of paper all the recipes I want to try first and foremost (usually from reviews on the PPK) and the page #. Then I put that page in the front of the book. I can usually remember which recipe I read about is in a particular book, but even if not, it does make it easier than searching through the whole index of a book.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:46 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I keep mine on my computer. I put my most used ones in my drop box folder so I can get to them anywhere I have an internet connection. I like this because I can easily update if I change a recipe.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:22 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

i have an e-mail address specifically for recipes, and i access them from my ipod touch. (also helpful for subscribing to blogs, FYI. i have a thread around here somewhere dedicated to that topic.)

i put the recipe name and source in the title, although i should probably start putting the source in the very beginning of the body as well, because that'd make it easier to find something, since the ipod only shows you a certain amount of characters, and if the title is long, you won't know the author unless you open the mail.

i still have my old binder and index file around, but it's such a pain to keep it in order, since i'm lazy. with the ipod, i never actually take it out of it's place to use it.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:52 pm 
Chip Strong

I have a binder with tabs for appetizers, entrees, etc, and I try to keep everything in sheet protectors. But right now its a mess with tons of new recipes jammed in the front. Need a bigger binder and more protectors.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:27 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I have a number of printed pages, a few that permanently live on the fridge, others that are stuffed into various drawers in my desk, as well as a number of recipes saved on allrecipes.com and a bookmarks folder on my browser that has food links saved. Don't use my system.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:32 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I have a composition notebook for mine. It's a work in progress, as I have printed recipes tucked in the back and lots of untested recipes. Also, a lot of them are online.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:08 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

jenlovesdoggies wrote:
Mine are in a binder and I have them organized with tabs by category, but I think adding an index would be a great idea. Originally I had it in alphabetical order within each tabbed section, but then it became difficult to find a recipe if I didn't know what word it started with and then I'd end up flipping pages anyway.

But writing down an idex on each of my tabs would be pretty easy to scan for what I'm looking for, and then just adding new ones to the end of the section would make it easy.

What I've done with cookbooks is gone through and written down on a piece of paper all the recipes I want to try first and foremost (usually from reviews on the PPK) and the page #. Then I put that page in the front of the book. I can usually remember which recipe I read about is in a particular book, but even if not, it does make it easier than searching through the whole index of a book.

this is exactly what i do! we are organizing twins ;)

i also will nerdily add, that once i make a recipe for the first time, i pencil in a smiley or frown face (thankfully the frown faces are rare!) and put the date. i also jot down if i made any changes and/or what i will try different for next time.

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:11 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Moon wrote:
I have a number of printed pages, a few that permanently live on the fridge, others that are stuffed into various drawers in my desk, as well as a number of recipes saved on allrecipes.com and a bookmarks folder on my browser that has food links saved. Don't use my system.

LOL, but in a way your system is so awesome. you are so carefree and not anal about organization (no offense meant at all to jenlovesdoggies who i just dubbed my organizing twin!) that i can only imagine how laid back and chill you are in real life ;)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:19 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I'm generally really organized, but all the recipes I use that aren't from a cookbook are scribbled down on scrap paper and shoved into a cookbook or floating around on my cookbook shelf.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:55 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Moon wrote:

Haha! Recipes are to be collected! Not organized. I am so bad at writing recipes on a scrap of paper then adding it to the IPP. (Important Paper Pile.)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:01 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I keep most of my stuff as blog posts or drafts of blog posts (my blog currently has a 101 posts and 90 drafts, I try to keep the number of drafts lower than the number of posts). Recipes I find online often live for weeks as open tabs in my webbrowser. My cookbooks are studded with paper slips and post-its to mark which recipes I like or intend to make at some point.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:26 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I have a binder with the recipes in sheet protectors, but now I pretty much have everything in Paprika on my iPad. It's a big improvement.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:02 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I have a pile of books, a few magazines that are scattered around (but I don't really cook from magazines) and I use pinterest for the blog recipes I use usually. Unless it's PPK recipes in which case I just poke around the recipes section to find what I need. Lately I've been doing a lot of 'inspired by' cooking so it's never exactly a recipe I'm following.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:10 am 
And you never will.

I have (an older version of) this. I pretty much love it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:13 am 

bookwormbethie wrote:
jenlovesdoggies wrote:

i also will nerdily add, that once i make a recipe for the first time, i pencil in a smiley or frown face (thankfully the frown faces are rare!) and put the date. i also jot down if i made any changes and/or what i will try different for next time.

I like the smiley face rating system!

One of my major sources for recipes is the library, which means lots of clunky photocopied pages. I also copy recipes from the internet onto a Notepad program and convert them to plain text. The big issue for me with all these compulsively-selected recipes is that I haven't made many of them! I really need to make a massive index or spreadsheet, with recipes sorted by name, ingredient, feature (baked? fried? raw?), cooking time, etc. Going though & getting rid of recipes I haven't used or I know I never will helps, too.

I'm not ready to have my recipes digitized for tablet use, but that does seem like an efficient way to do it. I must admit that I am still a sucker for flipping though paper, though.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:14 am 

poopiebitch wrote:
I have (an older version of) this. I pretty much love it.

Hey, this looks cool! It even has a nutritional analysis plugin!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:16 am 
And you never will.

It is cool! The nutritional analysis is a little fiddly, but after you get it working well for you it's easy.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:17 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Gourmet Recipe Manager is free (as a bird, but also free of charge), open-source and cross-platform:
http://grecipe-manager.sourceforge.net/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:23 am 

poopiebitch wrote:
It is cool! The nutritional analysis is a little fiddly, but after you get it working well for you it's easy.

I'm definitely going to give this a try. I don't have an iPad, but all of the indexing & analytical features would still make it totally totally worth it.

I mean, why reinvent the wheel when you can just... download it from Apple? :)

ETA:
rhelune wrote:
Gourmet Recipe Manager is free (as a bird, but also free of charge), open-source and cross-platform:
http://grecipe-manager.sourceforge.net/

This also looks great, but I am really drawn to that nutritional analysis feature on MacGourmet. I'll check out both.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:47 pm 
Dead by dawn

GymClassZero wrote:
I have a composition notebook for mine. It's a work in progress, as I have printed recipes tucked in the back and lots of untested recipes. Also, a lot of them are online.

This is me, exactly. Which means I never really know where to find that recipe I just know I have. Is it written in the spiral notebook? On a random piece of paper tucked into the back of it? Did I bookmark a blog post? Copy it into a Word document? Imagine it?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:12 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

lizzielove wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:
jenlovesdoggies wrote:

I like the smiley face rating system!

One of my major sources for recipes is the library, which means lots of clunky photocopied pages. I also copy recipes from the internet onto a Notepad program and convert them to plain text. The big issue for me with all these compulsively-selected recipes is that I haven't made many of them! I really need to make a massive index or spreadsheet, with recipes sorted by name, ingredient, feature (baked? fried? raw?), cooking time, etc. Going though & getting rid of recipes I haven't used or I know I never will helps, too.

I'm not ready to have my recipes digitized for tablet use, but that does seem like an efficient way to do it. I must admit that I am still a sucker for flipping though paper, though.

i'm in no way ready to digitize my recipes for tablet use either, esp since i don't even know what a tablet is. i just got a smart phone a year ago, i do like it a lot, but i'm still old school. i still play CDs on my boombox that has a tape deck i might add! and yes, i still have cassettes! i swoon for paper!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:42 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Right now I have a big file folder with hanging files sorted into categories...but after reading this thread I can't believe I never thought of digitizing them and keeping them in my Dropbox to access on my phone. I'm going to make that my new project!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:44 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I do have a tablet, but don't want to use it in the kitchen because I'm terribly clumsy. I print recipes when I need them (or, sometimes, just read them and if necessary make a few trips to and from computer to make sure I use the correct amounts of ingredients).

- recipes from magazines - in a binder
- printed recipes - in a drawer
- one cookbook shelf; I, too, write in my cookbooks
- recipes on the blogs - I use RSSOwl RSS reader, label recipes, so when I do clean-up, labelled posts don't get deleted. The problem is searching for ingredients: many bloggers don't make whole posts available in RSS, just a few sentences.
- recipes on the web - a folder in my browser Bookmarks
- one folder on the disk with a few recipes in plain text
- One email folder for recipes I'm subscribed to (PCRM, other animal rights orgs)
- Calibre for PDFs
- Gourmet Recipe Manager for my recipes (I gave up importing recipes from blogs, websites etc.)
- many of my recipes exist only in my CRON-o-Meter logs

So, when I precook the legume of the week, I have to search in many different places for recipes with that legume.

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next