| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dessert with wow factor for a 18 stubborn omnis, help!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:49 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

My husband's department hosts a bimonthly meeting where various members bring in dessert. For the past two years I have made pumpkin cookies and they are a hit--people have even requested them for the cookie exchanges; however, this year I want to bring in something different. There are some adamant vegan naysayers in the group this year and I really want to bring in a dessert that obliterates the silly preconceptions that vegan food/dessert isn't as good as non-vegan food.

I really need some suggestions, ideas, favorite recipes with wow factor--I need decadent, think diabetic coma!

I figured cupcakes or cookies would be the easiest for serving 18 people. What are your favorite tried and true dessert recipes that have omnis begging for more?

I was considering Fauxstess Cupcakes from Isa or Chloe Coscarelli. Anyone try both recipes? Which recipe do you prefer? Or perhaps Chloe Coscarelli's Ginger Nutmeg Spice Cupcakes, but I have not heard much about them. Again would love to hear any and all suggestions!

Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Dessert with wow factor for a 18 stubborn omnis, help!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:22 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

The coconut lime cupcakes from VCTOTW are also awesome, especially if you do the decorations like in the picture with the flaked coconut and slice of lime.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:38 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I made a layer cake w/ peanut butter cake & chocolate cake, peanut butter cream frosting, ganache, garnished w/ chicosticks for a friend's birthday years ago. I was the only vegan in a very vegan unfriendly area. This cake solidified my place as the official cake maker for my group of friends. All recipes were adapted from vctotw.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:44 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

To me, whoopie pies say both 'delicious' and 'diabetic coma'. I made them a couple years ago using spinach puree (it was undetectable) in the soft cookie shells, I think I combined Jerry Seinfield's wifes idea from her vegetable puree book and then must have been some vegan whoopie pie recipe I would have got off the internet. Maybe I shallhave to make them again, they were wonderful and went fast.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:56 pm 
Saggy Butt

I made the banana split cupcakes from vctotw, except into a two-layer round cake. (doubled the cupcake recipe) then used the vanilla frosting for filling and on top and swirled it up nice and high like frosting, then poured the ganache right on top and then covered it in walnuts, sprinkles and maraschino cherries. it was suuuuper impressive and decadent and looked like a giant sundae. i suggest that.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:58 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

The fruit tart from VPiTS is amazing and will wow anybody. Two 10" tarts would probably be enough. You could also do mini tarts, which would be adorable.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:03 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I would make a VPITS pie. The balsamic raspberry pie (or whatever it is called) is my mum's favourite recipe ever. She makes it for her very omni friends. I also can't imagine anyone disliking Smlove (from Veganomicon).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:08 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Whoopie pies are a good idea! So decadent, fun, and people would be really surprised that they are vegan! Also easy to make/serve for a big crowd.

I have gotten really really really good feedback when I make chocolate cupcakes with Peanut butter buttercream in the middle, on top, and drizzled with a ganache. (all from VCTOTW). They look pretty fancy. Not too hard to make. They taste awesome. There are some really amazing cupcakes in that book, but I usually go back to these. Its all about the double processed dutch cocoa powder.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:08 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

the coconut lemon bundt cake from v'con is also very impressive and quite easy given there's no assembly or frosting. The lower fat chocolate bundt is great too, and can easily be made more decadent by the addition of chocolate ganache. ok, so you can tell I'm into bundt cakes lately.

I've also had a lot of success with a cupcake bar for co-workers. I made chocolate and vanilla cupcakes, mint, pb and chocolate buttercreams (all from vctotw) and had people assemble their own preferred combinations. That may or may not be practical, but people were still talking about it years later.

I've made the fauxstess cupcakes from vwav and they're very good, but hard to keep neat during transport.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:26 pm 
Saggy Butt

Dave the Cat wrote:
The coconut lime cupcakes from VCTOTW are also awesome, especially if you do the decorations like in the picture with the flaked coconut and slice of lime.

This! I made these cupcakes over a year ago and took them to my mom at her work. She shared them with her co-workers (all of which are non-vegans). And to this day, when I go in there is one woman who asks me every time about these cupcakes and when will I make them again.

The cardamom cupcakes in VCTOTW are very good but some people can be picky about the cardamom taste. I think its amazing. The Tiramisu cupcakes are great too and are very attractive when you decorate like the picture.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:59 pm 

Thank you for the ideas and recipe reviews!

Dave the Cat wrote:

I have always wanted to make these and never have. Hmmm, this may be my pick.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:13 pm 
Semen Strong

lavawitch wrote:
The fruit tart from VPiTS is amazing and will wow anybody. Two 10" tarts would probably be enough. You could also do mini tarts, which would be adorable.

I came here to post this. Esme brought it to a potluck while she was testing for VPiTS and it was gorgeous and so delicious. I've never seen a prettier tart - like a work of tart.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:36 pm 
Saggy Butt

The peanut butter pillows from VCIYCJ are amazing and impressive, if you're ok with doing cookies. But I like aiee's idea of a cupcake bar best!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:28 pm 

Strawberry Basil Balsamic Ice Cream from my book. People buy the book after trying it.

I know, it sounds strange, but the balsamic takes it to this whole gourmet level.

Or you could do Raspberry Chocolate Chip Frozen Yogurt. Or Avocado Ice Cream. Those will give you red and green colors for the holidays. The Strawberry Basil Balsamic is more pinky.

http://alinaspencil.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:33 pm 

Tofulish wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

I came here to post this. Esme brought it to a potluck while she was testing for VPiTS and it was gorgeous and so delicious. I've never seen a prettier tart - like a work of tart.

Hmmm, I wonder if it would be overkill to do two desserts...These tarts sound perfect. I don't know why, but I always feel the pressure to overly represent and prove to everyone that vegan food is amazing. People hold on to so many misconceptions about vegan food and it drives my husband and I crazy!

Thanks again for all of the suggestions.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:37 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

The Raspberry Blackout cake in VWAV always is a hit for me. Even people who don't think they like raspberry plus chocolate love it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:40 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

my aunt actually gave me money to make her a batch of the white chocolate cranberry biscotti (i think it's from VCTOtW)

::edit:: also, those lacey macadamia caramel cookies in the same book would be a really nice wow cookie to bring.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:51 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

joyfulgirl wrote:
The Raspberry Blackout cake in VWAV always is a hit for me.

Yes, I would say that one always impresses.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:27 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
joyfulgirl wrote:
The Raspberry Blackout cake in VWAV always is a hit for me.

Yes, I would say that one always impresses.

Agreed!