| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2854 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86 ... 115  Next
 Post subject: Re: the lactation station: share your breast feedin' stuff h
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:55 am 
Saggy Butt

Thanks! Glad to see it's normal. I wasn't even worried until my husband started freaking out.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:21 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Malka is formula fed and dropped very slightly from 50-75% to squarely 50% on everything between 6 and 12 months. Also, the charts were made when formula feeding was done differently than it's done now (I don't know anybody now who formula feeds who doesn't do it "on demand" like breastfeeding), so who knows how they match up to formula fed babies today. What I've heard is that babies may start out one way (pudgy, skinny, in between), but when they start crawling/walking they tend to get in line with whatever the family body type is and that should track into their older childhood, so that means some kids go up and some go down on the percentile charts around that time and it's totally normal.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:26 pm 
Inflexitarian

Breastfeeding humor for the day:

Biology Exam
Students in an advanced Biology class were taking their mid-term exam.

The last question was, 'Name seven advantages of Mother's Milk.'
The question was worth 70 points or none at all.

One student, in particular, was hard put to think of seven advantages.
However, he wrote:

1) It is perfect formula for the child.
2) It provides immunity against several diseases.
3) It is always the right temperature.
4) It is inexpensive.
5) It bonds the child to mother, and vice versa.
6) It is always available as needed.

And then the student was stuck.
Finally, in desperation, just before the bell rang indicating the end of the test, he wrote:

7) It comes in two attractive containers and it's high enough off the ground
where the cat can't get it.

He got an A.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:09 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Heh, that is excellent!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:45 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Amazing!

And ariann, that is really interesting! Grey was so, so skinny as a baby and now he is 50th percentile but very muscular and I don't think he looks skinny!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:41 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

As much as I don't care for pumping full time - I have to say it is very satisfying to sit down with two empty bottles - and 30 minutes later have two full ones!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:41 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Making two full bottles after pumping sounds pretty awesome.

I am having a harder and harder time fitting pumping into my work schedule, which is complicating things, production-wise. It is also making it hard for me to work on my special projects at work because I have to pump between patients instead of doing other stuff. I made 6 ounces today for 15 ounces worth of lechita that Carlos drinks at daycare. He has been supplementing with formula for a couple months now (or maybe 1.5 months??). He is 10 months now. I am really glad he was already eating solids well by the time we had to start doing that. I am kind of wanting to be done pumping after 12 months but without giving up the nighttime and morning nursing sessions right away. I am not sure about that though. I know some people can keep it up that way, but I worry about how long my milk will stick around. I will be really disappointed if I can't make it to 12 months though after all the insanity we have been through. Two more months to go!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:05 am 
Married to the wolfman

annasrobbie wrote:
As much as I don't care for pumping full time - I have to say it is very satisfying to sit down with two empty bottles - and 30 minutes later have two full ones!

Sometimes I pump both sides at once and end up with two full 8 oz bottles. 16 oz. AKA a pound of milk. I was coming to this thread to bisque about how much I hate pumping so thanks for reminding me that it is a little bit awesome in some ways.

Kimba, you're almost there! Keep up the hard work!

As for me, I am pretty much not pumping on campus anymore. I never found a good place. (I did find a single bathroom with a door that locked, and that's what I've been doing, but then my schedule got so busy that I had no time. So I've been going from 1 p.m. to 11 p.m. without expressing any milk. What's weird is that some days my body is totally fine with it-- most days actually-- I'm pretty full by the time I get home but not engorged per se. Then the other day, I was SO engorged by only about 5 p.m. Of course, that was the day that I didn't even have my hand pump with me (argh) or even any bags, and so I was literally pouring milk down the toilet and crying a little about it.

Next semester I am almost definitely going to be on campus three days a week (serious boo) but for far more limited hours (serious yay) which should be better for the milk situation.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:41 am 

C&s, that is an amazing supply you got there.

Today I woke up around 3 with breast pain so I grabbed the baby from her crib and brought her to bed to nurse (she was sleeping soundly). I do this lots of nights and we both go to sleep with her nursing away the problem. Not today! I had a bad pain in my left nipple that I've never experienced before and she was congested and couldn't manage to nurse and breath. So now I've got an angry awake baby and still pain in the boob. Didn't get back to bed until 5. Right about the time i need to get up. Hope the rest of this day goes better.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:13 am 
Semen Strong

Oh yikes, Butternut! I am so sorry you had a rough night. It must have been so painful for you to wake Babynut. Do you think its a plugged duct? I hope it all resolves itself soon and you can get a nice evening of rest!

Good luck to everyone!

A friend made me oatmeal chocolate chip peanut butter coconut maple cookies and they were really good and they made my milk come in like whoa. So, clearly I have to eat them again for medicinal purposes, right?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:33 am 
Inflexitarian

Just a tip when you find yourself with very little time, no pump and no bottles or bags you can hand express into an empty water bottle. To make sure it's "sterile" use a new sealed water bottle and pour out the water - don't put your lips on the bottle. If you have a pump but no bottles (I've found myself in this situation more than once) you can pump into the water bottle as well.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:35 am 
Inflexitarian

Butternut wrote:
C&s, that is an amazing supply you got there.

Today I woke up around 3 with breast pain so I grabbed the baby from her crib and brought her to bed to nurse (she was sleeping soundly). I do this lots of nights and we both go to sleep with her nursing away the problem. Not today! I had a bad pain in my left nipple that I've never experienced before and she was congested and couldn't manage to nurse and breath. So now I've got an angry awake baby and still pain in the boob. Didn't get back to bed until 5. Right about the time i need to get up. Hope the rest of this day goes better.

Yikes, the breast pain doesn't sound good. Could the pain be engorgement pain? Instead of waking up the baby in the middle of the night you could take ibuprofen for a couple nights to deal with the engorgement pain and within a few days your supply should adjust to her not nursing that way you won't have to wake her up to nurse and you won't have to wake up either!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:08 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Tofulish wrote:
Oh yikes, Butternut! I am so sorry you had a rough night. It must have been so painful for you to wake Babynut. Do you think its a plugged duct? I hope it all resolves itself soon and you can get a nice evening of rest!

Good luck to everyone!

A friend made me oatmeal chocolate chip peanut butter coconut maple cookies and they were really good and they made my milk come in like whoa. So, clearly I have to eat them again for medicinal purposes, right?

At the very least, you need to eat them again to see if t happens again. Do it for science T!

The water bottle idea is a really good one! Normally i don't carry a water bottle or anything with me-- I commute via bus with a backpack and there is really only room for the barest necessities (plus, I have to lug everything around with me once I'm on campus). But, it'd be worth the 99 cents or whatever to buy a bottle of water at the library, chug it, and squeeze into it if I find myself in that situation again...

On that note, I better go stick my hand pump in my bag while I'm thinking about it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:51 pm 

Kimba, you can do it! I can't imagine how moms work and pump all the time. I was exhausted when we were pumping regularly. Whew.

That idea about the water bottle is great!

Butternut, did you figure out what the pain was?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:55 pm 

I think it's a plugged duct. Saturday it would have been a year without any plugged ducts...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:33 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I couldn't find my damn hand pump after posting earlier, but I was in a hurry so I just stuffed some bags in my bag and thought I'd hand express into them. Here is the flaw in my plan: turns out my nipples have a greater circumference than the mouth of the bag, so no matter how I positioned it, milk was spraying out somewhere. Ho ho ho. I am now sticky and covered in milk and I only got about half an oz out before I gave up.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:53 pm 
Inflexitarian

Aww phooey! Hand expressing definitely takes some practice to get the aim right. I wish I learned how to do it earlier on. I feel like I'm playing catch up now. My breast are so used to either a baby or electric pump that when I use a hand pump I have to hand express and use the pump so it's a looong process. But I'm getting better at it. My LC mentor recommends practicing to express into a bowl then making the container smaller and smaller until you can express right into a bottle.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:53 pm 
Chip Strong

I forgot my pump yesterday for the first time and was freaking out. Then I remembered that I was in a hospital, on the postpartum floor... One of the nurses just handed me a brand new hand pump! I almost cried of happiness, and the nurse was just like, uhh, no big deal.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:42 pm 

Urgh, I hate the stickiness.

Moo, that is very cool!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:52 pm 

You guys I'm freaking out. Yesterday I thought I had a plugged duct and did all the recommended stuff for fixing that (massage, nursing, hot shower, ibuprofen) and it felt a ton better today so I stopped worrying about it. Then tonight I was nursing her at bedtime and I realized that I have a massive lump in that breast. Huge. It like the size of a small egg. My armpit is also a little stiff.

So I'm really worried again. I haven't gone to dr. Google yet but I'm about to. Could that still be a plugged duct?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:20 pm 
Saggy Butt

Butternut, I got chronic plugged ducts for the first six months or so and mine would be huge like that! Sometimes they weren't even all that painful or sore but I could still feel it in my breast. So in my experience it's certainly possible your duct is still plugged even without the rest of you feeling horrible. Hope it gets resolved soon!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:22 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Yes, absolutely!

I had this experience a couple months ago. I also was in a lot of pain!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:25 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I get something similar every weekend (happens only when I nurse exclusively, weird). I started to take lechithin and pump a bit before I nurse. Watch for redness or if you start feeling ill... otherwise hopefully babynut sucks it right out!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:17 am 
Semen Strong

I have a giant egg in my armpit constantly since pregnancy (and a smaller lump in the other one). Apparently breast tissue does end up in your armpits and it has ducts in it and can get engorged as well. The surgeon I saw said that it was normal but that she could excise it if I found it unsightly.

I hope you feel better soon!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:54 am 
Chip Strong

Have you tried "clearing the path" by hand expressing from closer to your nipple, then working your way back toward the plug?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2854 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86 ... 115  Next