| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Lazy People Mainstream Food Thread
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:17 pm 
WELFARIST!

Not unlike my thread about cheap vegan snacks from mainstream companies in normal, everyday grocery stores but this time it's for meals.

Rules:

-Has to be from a relatively mainstream company
-Must be available at regular grocery stores (not TJ's, WF's or health food stores)
-Must be cheap (that rules out every Amy's product, ever)
-Must be for lazy people (it doesn't take long to cook, etc)

I'll start!
Healthy Choice frozen meals- Asian Potstickers and Vegetable Teriyaki. You can get them for about $2, maybe $3 and it's in the regular frozen section.
Healthy Choice canned (and microwaveable cup) soup- Country Vegetable and Garden Vegetable.
Progresso Soup- Lentil, 99% Fat Free Lentil, Garden Vegetable, Vegetarian Vegetable with Barley.

Post subject: Re: The Lazy People Mainstream Food Thread
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:19 pm 
WELFARIST!

There's a bunch of Uncle Ben's microwaveable packets of rice medleys that are vegan as well. I don't have a list of which ones yet, though. Some even have quinoa in them.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:25 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Original Pillsbury Crescent rolls!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:29 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Is Thai Kitchen mainstream/inexpensive enough? Their Sesame noodle stir-fry is delicious and I've found it in every grocery store around here, although I live in an area with a relatively high Asian population, so your mileage may vary in, say, Kansas.

Lipton Sidekicks Singapore noodles and Asian Curry noodles are good too (side note - is it possible to get more vague than "Asian Curry"?). I'm pretty sure that there are other vegan flavours but I can't remember them offhand right now.

Bowl Noodle spicy kimchee flavour.

Um. What does it say about me that all the ones I'm familiar with instant noodles?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:39 pm 
WELFARIST!

Thai Kitchen is fine! Are these all dry or are any canned/frozen/refrigerated? The kimchee Bowl Noodle is vegan? I thought it had fish in it? Maybe I'm thinking of another brand.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:55 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

These are all dry. The kimchee Bowl Noodle is definitely vegan - at least the last package I bought was. But I still check the ingredients every time I buy them because there are so many brands that it gets confusing, and you never know when they might change a recipe.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:47 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

I'm sure there's lots more, but right off the top of my head are Near East mixes for pilaf, tabbouleh, etc. (http://www.neareast.com/#home), and frozen Pepperidge Farm puff pastry sheets!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:51 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Zatarains! The gumbo, dirty rice, red beans and rice, black beans and rice, and Spanish rice are all vegan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:52 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Hormel vegetarian chili- love this stuff.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:20 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

original Bisquick mix!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:36 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Heinz canned spaghetti. It seems easy enough to find in the little International sections of most supermarkets. Sometimes it's expensive though--price seems to vary hugely.

It's good with a bunch of nooch added to make it cheesy.

Some of the Liptons quick spanish or Mexican rice mixes are vegan, but I never remember which. That + can of refried beans + tortilla + whatever else I have is a great lazy taco or burrito.

The Amy's burritos are a filling lunch for me. Those are often on sale, or else only 2.59.

Fantastic Foods sloppy joe mix.

My favorite lazy lunch for a couple of days: couscous, can of chick peas, bottled salad dressing of some sort, lettuce, on a tortilla. I mix it up in a big bowl and just scoop out enough for wraps each day.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:16 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Fantastic Foods, I think all of their mixes are vegan and they're all great.
Near East, same deal
not exactly mainstream, but every Indian-flavored ramen I've ever seen (usually called things like "spicy masala" flavor)
Vegetarian baked beans, many brands
non-frosted pop tarts, but I haven't seen them around much anymore
Stacy's pita chips (I don't love these), almost all brands of tortilla chips, salsa, and hummus
Oreos, pecan sandies, the new Walgreens store brand fig newtons (brand is called something like True or Good?)
also maybe not mainstream (but it is around here), the vast majority of the kosher food section, including chicken and beef flavored soup mixes and dried noodle soups, and huge quantities of awesome weirdo Israeli snack foods (bamba!)
potato bread

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:23 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Nissin Top Ramen (Oodles of Noodles) ORIENTAL flavor. The one with the blue package. As far as I know it is the only vegan flavor. So cheap, so bad, but oh so good.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:03 am 
WELFARIST!

Aubade wrote:
Nissin Top Ramen (Oodles of Noodles) ORIENTAL flavor. The one with the blue package. As far as I know it is the only vegan flavor. So cheap, so bad, but oh so good.

This one gets me all of the time. There's one that's "Oriental" and another that's "Oriental Flavor" or something like that, each in identical packaging, each by the same company, one is vegan and the other is not.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:04 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Mr. Shankly wrote:
Aubade wrote:

This one gets me all of the time. There's one that's "Oriental" and another that's "Oriental Flavor" or something like that, each in identical packaging, each by the same company, one is vegan and the other is not.

I've never seen the non vegan one. I almost never find the vegan ones either for that matter. They always have the Maruchan brand flavor in oriental, which is not vegan. I went out of state and found the Top Ramen at a random gas station and brought a few back with me. They are gone now though.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:46 am 
Flounceiad 2011

missmuffcake wrote:
original Bisquick mix!
How could I have forgotten to mention this? Also: Heinz baked beans and Campbell's tomato soup (both major favorites with my kids).

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:50 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

kimba wrote:
I've never seen the non vegan one. I almost never find the vegan ones either for that matter. They always have the Maruchan brand flavor in oriental, which is not vegan. I went out of state and found the Top Ramen at a random gas station and brought a few back with me. They are gone now though.

Same for me. You gotta be careful not to get the maruchan brand. It is a little hard to find the Nissin oriental flavor, but we are lucky to have a few stores nearby that sell them, and usually buy a lot of packs when we see them so I'm kept in a constant supply of the fattening ramen goodness.

Sometimes if I'm feeling fancy I mix in some frozen cauliflower.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:17 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

kimba wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:
Aubade wrote:

exactly, the one i always can find has beef extract in it :(

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:26 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Aubade wrote:

i always throw the seasoning packet away and just eat the noodles. you can eat them raw like crackers.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:22 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

The Keebler Jumbo Fudge Sticks, but ONLY the Jumbo ones that come in a box. The small ones that come in a plastic sleeve are not vegan, for whatever reason.

Mejier isn't a national chain, but if you're in the midwest and you see one, they have their own store organic brand, off the top of my head the thing from that I buy the most is their variety of flavored refried beans, like lime jalapeno and roasted red jalapeno. Brian and I often use those to make lazy bean and 'cheese' quesadillas.

I found some spanish rice in a can that ended up being vegan - I think it was Old El Paso? It wasn't great, but I wouldn't kick it out of bed for being as easy to make as it is (open can, dump in bowl, heat, slurp).

I haven't seen those Asian Potstickers around here in forever!

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:28 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

One of the cheap ramen brands has a chili lime flavor that is vegan. The albertsons near my house has it.
Also: good to know about the zatarains! Best seasoned rice packets ever.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:51 am 
Impressive boner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:53 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

8ball wrote:

ahh! I want!

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:46 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Frozen Amy's entrees are now in Target (mainstream) and they have some vegan entrees for about $3. The new light spaghetti and faux meatballs, the enchiladas and the tamale. Not super cheap, but not $5+ each like I usually see in the supermarkets. It's cheap enough for me, ms. supercheapchicki to grab a couple and keep in the freezer for emergencies.

Also Gaiden is in Target, and their beefless tips and mandarin chicken are always $3.99/bag. Again, not super cheap, but cheaper than a supermarket!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:48 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I thought none of the light and lean ones were vegan.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear