| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: It's official! Transgenderism no longer a disorder!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:22 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2012/12/0 ... ?mobile=nc

Quote:
This Saturday, the American Psychiatric Association board of trustees approved the latest proposed revisions to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, what will now be known as the DSM-V. This marks a historic milestone for people who are transgender and gender non-conforming, as their identities are no longer classified as a mental disorder. Homosexuality was similarly declassified as a mental disorder in 1973.
. . .
The new manual will diagnose transgender people with “Gender Dysphoria,” which communicates the emotional distress that can result from “a marked incongruence between one’s experienced/expressed gender and assigned gender.” This will allow for affirmative treatment and transition care without the stigma of disorder. Earlier this year, the APA also released new health guidelines for transgender patients, as well as a position statement affirming transgender care and civil rights. Both documents align with a new standard for respecting trans people in the medical community.

Post subject: Re: It's official! Transgenderism no longer a disorder!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:25 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Yay!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:13 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Whoo-hoo!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:30 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

woo!! This is very exciting!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:11 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

this is awesome. i hope that this means the danish system will change aswell.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:40 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

So glad this finally happened. I remember taking Abnormal Psychology waaaaay back in undergrad and there was a whole textbook chapter on "fetishism" and a big part of it was on non-gender conforming people. And nobody in class really saw that as an issue. This was circa 2003 or 2004.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:09 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Woohooo! That's awesome!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:39 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Good. This makes it clear that the body is the problem - not the mind.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:32 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

It's not really clear to me why this is such a big deal. I mean, I don't see it as a bad thing, but it just seems like sort of a neutral thing to me. They've just changed what they're calling the diagnosis given to transgender people from one that has the word "disorder" to one that has the word "dysphoria". If the reason this is supposed to be a good thing is that the word "disorder" carries stigma, nothing is going to change if they start calling it "dysphoria" because until mental illness becomes destigmatized, any word associated with mental illness is going to carry stigma. If anything, it will probably just make it more difficult for transgender people to get insurance coverage for transgender-related medical care, since it's now officially "not really a disorder". (Most insurance companies specifically exclude any transgender-related medical care from coverage, and many exclude any mental health related care too.)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:27 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

choirqueer wrote:
It's not really clear to me why this is such a big deal. I mean, I don't see it as a bad thing, but it just seems like sort of a neutral thing to me. They've just changed what they're calling the diagnosis given to transgender people from one that has the word "disorder" to one that has the word "dysphoria". If the reason this is supposed to be a good thing is that the word "disorder" carries stigma, nothing is going to change if they start calling it "dysphoria" because until mental illness becomes destigmatized, any word associated with mental illness is going to carry stigma. If anything, it will probably just make it more difficult for transgender people to get insurance coverage for transgender-related medical care, since it's now officially "not really a disorder". (Most insurance companies specifically exclude any transgender-related medical care from coverage, and many exclude any mental health related care too.)

I took a 200-level child psych class this semester and there were a lot of students who couldn't get their heads around the instructor saying that something called "gender identity disorder" wasn't an actual disorder. I think your take here is really valid, but I think the word "dysphoria" might clear up some of that confusion for those people.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:40 pm 
Chip Strong

choirqueer wrote:
If anything, it will probably just make it more difficult for transgender people to get insurance coverage for transgender-related medical care, since it's now officially "not really a disorder". (Most insurance companies specifically exclude any transgender-related medical care from coverage, and many exclude any mental health related care too.)

This is what I've been concerned about. I guess I'm on the fence in that yes, it could be a positive step if being trans is becoming less stigmatised, but if it's harder to access necessary medical care, that's not such a great thing. I guess for me personally, if it helps me to get the medical care that I need, then I don't really care about the diagnosis I receive (as long as it's not preventing me from doing other important stuff). I totally understand that this is different for other people.

And like CQ said, I'd rather see mental illness becoming less stigmatised overall, so that it's less of a problem to have a diagnosis of GID/Gender Dysphoria/whatever, or any other kind of disorder or mental illness. I don't feel that being trans is a mental illness, but I also don't like the way that some trans people are so keen to distance themselves from people with mental illnesses.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:28 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I think still dysphoria is a much better term. Transgender or genderqueer covers a LOT of diverse gender identities. Some people in that category need more health care than others, and its not fair to say that by being non-cis, there's something wrong with you, you're inherently disordered, you know? Dyshporia instead addresses those who need help instead of every single non-cis person. While I agree mental illness needs to be de-stigmatized, I don't think its really an attempt to de-stigmatize trans-ness, but prevents the unnecessary diagnosis of people who don't need it, thus unclogging the health care system.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:02 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

Shy Mox wrote:
I think still dysphoria is a much better term. Transgender or genderqueer covers a LOT of diverse gender identities. Some people in that category need more health care than others, and its not fair to say that by being non-cis, there's something wrong with you, you're inherently disordered, you know? Dyshporia instead addresses those who need help instead of every single non-cis person. While I agree mental illness needs to be de-stigmatized, I don't think its really an attempt to de-stigmatize trans-ness, but prevents the unnecessary diagnosis of people who don't need it, thus unclogging the health care system.

The term that they stopped using was "gender identity disorder". "Transgender" or "genderqueer" have never been diagnostic terms.

I don't think it will unclog the health care system to switch from "gender identity disorder" to "gender dysphoria". Actually, the opposite will probably occur. The "gender dysphoria" diagnosis is more liberally applicable than "gender identity disorder", and the increased awareness of "gender dysphoria" will result in more practitioners applying that diagnosis.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:12 pm 
Saggy Butt

choirqueer wrote:
Shy Mox wrote:

The term that they stopped using was "gender identity disorder". "Transgender" or "genderqueer" have never been diagnostic terms.

I don't think it will unclog the health care system to switch from "gender identity disorder" to "gender dysphoria". Actually, the opposite will probably occur. The "gender dysphoria" diagnosis is more liberally applicable than "gender identity disorder", and the increased awareness of "gender dysphoria" will result in more practitioners applying that diagnosis.

Maybe that could be one possible positive outcome? I know there are people out there who, being non-binary, don't really fit under the usual diagnosis of GID, but definitely do experience gender (and sex) dysphoria and would really benefit from treatment of some kind.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:05 pm 
Tofu Pup

That's good news!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:21 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I thought this post from Feministing was interesting. I don't have anything to add because I don't know much about the subject, but apparently this change still pathologizes transgender people.

http://feministing.com/2012/12/18/actua ... the-dsm-v/

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:14 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

choirqueer wrote:
Shy Mox wrote:

They were never diagnostic terms, but they were also not recognized identities. The old diagnosis was fraught with cissexism (ACLU has the scan: http://www.aclu.org/files/images/asset_ ... _30369.pdf) where no gender spectrum was recognized, either you were a "boy" who wanted to be a "girl" or vice versa. If you were non-binary, you could get diagnosed with Gender Identity Disorder Not Otherwise Specified which had no real criteria. Gender dysphoria does not make the distinction that you are x who wants to be a y, but that you are y and are suffering mentally for many reasons that are special to non-cis people.

I would think that the health system would unclog as those who have no dysphoria but perhaps were made to go to therapy by others (parents particularly, but people can be pressured to go by partners and friends as well) now have a very clear definition of what isn't wrong. But you're right, this now expands who can seek help and makes it more known. If anything, at least transphobes can be held accountable for exasperating dysphoria and even creating it rather than making it only the patient's problem.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:17 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Jigglypuff wrote:
I thought this post from Feministing was interesting. I don't have anything to add because I don't know much about the subject, but apparently this change still pathologizes transgender people.

Gah, seriously? So its really nothing like how they're reporting it. AWESOME.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:01 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Shy Mox wrote:
Jigglypuff wrote:

Gah, seriously? So its really nothing like how they're reporting it. AWESOME.

Yup, most of the reporting has just been rewriting press releases. Julia Serano's analysis is really good and knowledgeable. Her blog is linked at the end of the feministing post, I think?