| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:04 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Finally made the chocolate stout cupcakes last night!! I have had the recipe bookmarked for about 2 years now so I'm glad they lived up to my expectations. Not too sweet, a delicious crumbly topping and light airy texture. Nom!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:31 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

ComradeSquirrel wrote:
Finally made the chocolate stout cupcakes last night!! I have had the recipe bookmarked for about 2 years now so I'm glad they lived up to my expectations. Not too sweet, a delicious crumbly topping and light airy texture. Nom!

I've made too few from this book, but I've made the chocolate stout cupcakes and they are indeed delicious!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:30 am 
Tofu Pup

Made the toasted coconut cupcakes for someone's birthday. Peopled absolutely died for them today (all omnivores). They are super dense though, not the lightest or fluffiest cupcake you'll ever have. No one seemed to mind though!

I also couldn't find vegetable shortening (sad.. I'm in Australia so don't know where/what to buy because we don't have crisco!), so just made some frosting out of coconut oil, coconut milk and icing sugar. Fab.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:33 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

The mint chocolate cupcakes were a huge hit. I couldn't find mint extract so I used peppermint, but nobody complained or even knew the difference. I also put chocolate chips on top of the frosting, instead of making the ganache, which worked really nicely. Next time I might actually put chocolate chips in the cupcake batter.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:05 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

I'm loving' this book. I can trust blindly and would try all cupcakes one by one. Till now, I've tried Golden Vanilla Cupcakes and Cookies n' Cream cupcakes. Both came out delicious and pillow soft. The hubby & friends raved about it and couldn't believe there was no eggs or dairy products. I'm getting compliment calls from friends. *blushed*

Now, below cupcakes are in my list to try asap.
- Carrot Cake Cupcakes
- Brooklyn Brownies Cupcakes
- Mexican Hot Chocolate Cupcakes
- Chai Latte Cupcakes and lots more.

Thanks heaps to both authors!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:59 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I made the maple cupcakes tonight and they are great! I couldn't find soy milk powder for the frosting, though, so I did the basic buttercream and added a teaspoon of maple extract.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:25 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I just made the right-side up pineapple cupcakes. Oh my goodness! They are delicious!

Messy, but delicious!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:28 pm 
Saggy Butt

On a slightly off topic note about the book, the latest issue of Hit and Miss (an Australian roller derby magazine) in their review section this month did cake books. The reviewer cited VCTOTW as her cake bible. I had a little happy moment. (This was along with a Babycakes and a couple of non-veg cake books, none of them got quite the same rave reviews however.)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:32 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I made chocolate cupcakes with the German chocolate cake variation. I added the whiskey to the frosting, of course.

These were so amazing--we ate them all, with my dad scarfing them 3 at a time.

I made them on a whim and these were the ones that used pantry items. I'll be making them to bring to work next week (minus the whiskey).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:51 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I've made lots of cupcakes from this book but I only tried the margarita cupcakes today. They had an odd, gummy texture. I haven't had cupcakes come out like this before. What did I do wrong?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:51 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I just made the pineapple right-side-up cupcakes this weekend. But as cake, because I didn't have cupcake tin liners.

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:49 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I just re-bought the book (once gave it to a friend and never got it back) and wanted to bake some cupcakes, but I dont know where I would find vegan shortening in Germany, is there a good replacement for the frostings? could i just use more margarine?

ashley wrote:
I have never thought "This coffee is okay, but it would be better if it were oily."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:23 pm 

I actually prefer frostings made with margarine myself, because I like the extra flavour it adds (I usually only use shortening for decorating frosting or if I'm wanting it to be pure white). I think you should be fine subbing it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:23 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I've been wondering about shortening too. Could I use coconut oil? The most common kind of CO here is hard as a brick, much like lard (shortening is supposed to be a replacement for lard, right?). Would it work? It doesn't really taste like coconut either.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:55 am 
Ninja Master

ninjablossom wrote:
how do UK folk make their frosting?

I have trex and pure and have tried following various combinations in the book and the frosting always comes out awful, looks fine in the bowl but then splits or slides down on the cake. I leave the cakes to cool for 2 hours, its not heat.

I make sure the cupcakes are cooled. I leave out the pure and the trex to room temperature and follow the recipe. I use cup measures.

I'm expecting the fluffy standup icing you get in the pic's and end up with a sloppy mess :( heartbreaking as the cakes them selves are sooo good.

But wondering if the pure isn't suitable? Double the about of icing sugar?

I don't really like pure so I use vitalite. But I have used pure before and it's worked. I don't bothing leaving them out til room temp, just straight from the fridge and mash them together well with a fork then add the sugar slowly and a dribble of soymilk where needed.

It's never split on me. Mabe you do need less liquid/more sugar. I never follow the recipes for frosting to the letter, I just add the sugar til it looks right.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:06 pm 

amonik wrote:
I've been wondering about shortening too. Could I use coconut oil? The most common kind of CO here is hard as a brick, much like lard (shortening is supposed to be a replacement for lard, right?). Would it work? It doesn't really taste like coconut either.

I think you could. I'd try it, if I had cocoanut oil currently in my house! :-p I have a friend who's replaced hard fats in cookies with it before...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:26 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I think I'll try it with margarine and if it doesnt work I'd try refined coconut oil, if it tastes like coconut that would be yucky.

ashley wrote:
I have never thought "This coffee is okay, but it would be better if it were oily."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:44 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i've requested this book from the library. anyone have any suggestions for recipes i should make to blow all those vegan doubters out of the water by how freakin' awesome the vegan cupcakes taste? please do not suggest any with nuts as i am allergic to all nuts.

any errata list online that i need to know about?

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:40 pm 

I decided not to wait for Christmas and moved this from my wishlist to my basket - it should be here at the end of the week! I want to make the ginger cupcakes for Christmas.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:28 am 
Ninja Master

amonik wrote:
I want to make the ginger cupcakes for Christmas.

I am making these for christmas too, instead of my usual chocolate log. They are good.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:11 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

How forgiving/delicious are the gluten free chocolate cupcakes? I am baking them with a client of mine, so there may be a few measurement errors and it will be quite disastrous if they don't turn out. I've never made anything gluten free before.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:22 pm 

The ginger cupcakes are indeed good! And the frosting is fine with just margarine. I left out the ginger pieces and added lingonberries instead, worked very well. My only problem right now is that I want to try a lot of the recipes - but I don't like how I feel when I eat that much cake...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:46 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Quote:
How forgiving/delicious are the gluten free chocolate cupcakes?

Very, as to delicious. At least somewhat, as to forgiving. I've made them a bunch of times and a (non-gf, omni) pastry chef friend said they were the best GF dessert she had ever had!! I don't have that much experience with GF baking, but I have found that I sometimes have to bake waaaaay past the time stated in the recipe. A celiac friend said that happens all the time and when in doubt, leave it in longer. That definitely happened with the chocolate cupcakes and they were still good.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:58 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

baps wrote:
ninjablossom wrote:
how do UK folk make their frosting?

I have trex and pure and have tried following various combinations in the book and the frosting always comes out awful, looks fine in the bowl but then splits or slides down on the cake. I leave the cakes to cool for 2 hours, its not heat.

I make sure the cupcakes are cooled. I leave out the pure and the trex to room temperature and follow the recipe. I use cup measures.

I'm expecting the fluffy standup icing you get in the pic's and end up with a sloppy mess :( heartbreaking as the cakes them selves are sooo good.

But wondering if the pure isn't suitable? Double the about of icing sugar?

I don't really like pure so I use vitalite. But I have used pure before and it's worked. I don't bothing leaving them out til room temp, just straight from the fridge and mash them together well with a fork then add the sugar slowly and a dribble of soymilk where needed.

It's never split on me. Mabe you do need less liquid/more sugar. I never follow the recipes for frosting to the letter, I just add the sugar til it looks right.

I just use Pure, icing sugar and the tiniest amount of milk. Tried with trex but it always just ends up being lumpy, not a good quality in buttercream :/

Blog: veganbutnotscary.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:06 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Thanks Dave the Cat! Hopefully there will be no meltdowns next Friday. Fingers crossed.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next