| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: where have you been that was your favorite?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:27 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

The UK! <3 <3 <3

Imma need one of you who lives there to get me a visa so I can live and travel the whole of your lovely countries, kthanks.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:34 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I am going to add York and Edinburgh.

And for a North American city, Vancouver and Victoria. I just can't seem to escape these two cities--they always pull me back in. I didn't think I'd fall in love with Vancouver when I started grad school there, but it has its charm and the mountains/ocean/trees thing is pretty dramatic.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:35 pm 
WRETCHED

Oh I forgot, we loved Montreal when we visited. It was cheap to visit, quick flight and was an awesome little city.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:24 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I haven't done a whole lot of travelling, so my places aren't too interesting in comparison to other ones here, BUT:

Cuba was awesome, Mike and I went after a couple years of dating and it was lovely. We stayed in the Jibacoa area so it wasn't like a "resort strip", and the people were wonderful and friendly.

My favourite city visit so far has been Chicago. I like to live in the country and big cities can intimidate me but I walked all over the place alone and loved it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:05 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

The only place outside of Saskatchewan that I've ever been to is Calgary. The first time I went it was terrible, but I was really sick and was only there for MRIs and assorted tests. The second time I went was this past August. That will always hold a special place in my heart because it was my first plane trip (and I went solo!) and I rode the C-Train and navigated Calgary all by myself.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:52 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

About seven years ago, when I was 18, my dad and I did some mountaineering in Peru. My dad is a long-time climber and all-around jock, so even in his fifties he smoked me. I'm not very athletic and kind of afraid of heights. Just one more way I disappointed him! :) Anyway, here are some photos from the trip. I apologize for the shitty quality. I stole them from my dad's blog.

The highest elevation I reached was approximately 18,000 feet. It's hard to breathe up there! My dad did a higher mountain on the same trip with another guy more up to the task. I definitely didn't mind being left behind on that one.

I've also been to Canada (where underage kids from upstate NY go to drink!), Mexico, and the Caribbean. I'm not sure which is my favorite.

Last edited by JonnyWoop on Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:59 pm 

Moon wrote:
I haven't done a whole lot of travelling, so my places aren't too interesting in comparison to other ones here, BUT:

Cuba was awesome, Mike and I went after a couple years of dating and it was lovely. We stayed in the Jibacoa area so it wasn't like a "resort strip", and the people were wonderful and friendly.

Cuba is super interesting. I'd love to go there! In fact, I'd also like their healthcare system.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:30 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

vijita wrote:
I am going to add York and Edinburgh.

I loved York. It was my favorite of all the cities I visited. The people and the setting was amazing. I also went to a really good vegan restaurant there.

I stupidly didn't get to Scotland but I'm sure I'd love it there.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:41 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

JonnyWoop wrote:

I've also been to Canada (where underage kids from upstate NY go to drink!), Mexico, and the Caribbean. I'm not sure which is my favorite.

This made me laugh. It's like comparing rutabagas to pineapples. I can't imagine you would have found much to like in Canada if you only came across the border far enough to drink. If that's the case, I guarantee we aren't just a land of concrete and outlet stores!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:46 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I'm still convinced Vancouver is the best place on Earth, but I might be biased. Otherwise, Uruguay really surprised me. We ended up there slightly by chance and spent some time in tiny towns along the coast - no running water, no electricity, about 100 people living there, and lighthouses. I'm obsessed with lighthouses, so it was so magical.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:07 pm 

Moon wrote:
JonnyWoop wrote:

This made me laugh. It's like comparing rutabagas to pineapples. I can't imagine you would have found much to like in Canada if you only came across the border far enough to drink. If that's the case, I guarantee we aren't just a land of concrete and outlet stores!

Besides having bars and liquor stores willing to serve 16-year-olds, you also have very nice head shops! :)

I'm also totally jealous of your healthcare system. Scratch that. I'm totally jealous of the healthcare system of almost every industrialized country on earth that isn't the United States.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:01 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I went to Israel over 30 years ago and would love to go back. Beautiful country. I went to Arequipa in Peru a few years ago because my sister lived there and was marrying a local guy, so the family went over for the wedding. We were there for two weeks, and it was absolutely amazing. Fantastic place, fantastic people.

And twenty or so years ago I went to New York, which might be my favourite. I did all the stereotypical touristy stuff, and it was GREAT.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:31 pm 
Saggy Butt

London! I lived and worked there for six months, long ago, and it was far too brief. I visited again with my best friend about two years ago and I cried on the plane ride home because I didn't want to leave. :( I'm with bathsheba - anyone over there with connection who can throw around some work visas?

Also: this amazing, magical little city in the Czech Republic called Cesky Krumlov. I went when I was studying abroad nine (eek!) years ago and those memories are still so crisp and clear. It was like stepping into a medieval fairy tale, with cobblestone streets and steep little houses AND even a pastel castle!! Beautiful.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:34 am 
Saggy Butt

I've haven't been to many places, so I will list Portland, OR. I loved it there. I am applying for jobs there as I type this.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:42 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Evian and Lyon, France- both magical

Yamadera, Yamagata, Japan - if I ever decide to go be a mountain hermit, that's where i'm going to do it, monkeys and all
Kusatsu, Gunma, Japan- stinky sulfur hot spring town, mountains, apple farms. Monkeys too.