| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Best series
Original 14%  14%  [ 10 ]
Next Generation 64%  64%  [ 46 ]
Deep Space Nine 11%  11%  [ 8 ]
Voyager 7%  7%  [ 5 ]
Enterprise 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Make my Gene, Parmesan. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 72
 Post subject: Re: Star Trek Thread
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:43 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

LazySmurf wrote:
He just keeps getting better, as does the show!

I agree with this, he gets better every episode, all the way up to the very last one lol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:49 am 
rowdily playing checkers

GuiltyofBeingSprite wrote:
Garak is quickly becoming my favorite character in the ST universe. He's got some amazing episodes in Seasons 2 and 3.

Totally. I <3 Garak. He made that show for me.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:29 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Garak is played by Larry from Hellraiser. So I look at him and hear 'come to daddy' and then I dry heave a little.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:42 am 
Bathes in Braggs

churning through DS9, and man it's so much better than TNG. TNG has not in any way survived the test of time, but DS9 is significantly more mature, and actually relevant.

+ 1. I rewatched DS9 and loved it. I tried with TNG and couldn't stomach many of the episodes. Rodenberry's praise for embracing politics in the 60s with TOS went to his head and he over did, IMO, in TNG. Many episodes come off as didactic.

Quote:
I still think it's funny that the 3 women's jobs with major roles in TNG was to take care of people.

You are forgetting Denise Crosby as the gung-ho security chief, Worf's predecessor.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:54 am 
Bathes in Braggs

LazySmurf wrote:
I still think it's funny that the 3 women's jobs with major roles in TNG was to take care of people.

I always thought it was interesting that Marina Sirtis originally went for the part of Tasha Yar and Denise Crosby was up for Troi.

Interesting! I can not see Sirtis in Crosby's role.

Quote:
I also recently learned that the true reason the Dr. Crusher was fired at the end of season 1 was because she was complaining to the writers about the poorly written female characters. Then, the writer eventually got fired and she came back.

I liked the crusty doctor they had after Crusher and I thought it was cool she had two guest roles in TOS

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:54 am 
Bathes in Braggs

It's too bad not much was fixed when she returned.

Garak is quickly becoming my favorite character in the ST universe. He's got some amazing episodes in Seasons 2 and 3.

Ditto.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:58 pm 
Nailed to the V

While DS9 has much better writing and characters, being confined to a station let them break away from the boring 4 episode themes (A/many crew members are sick; the ship is sick, the seemingly nice aliens have something up their sleeve, Romulans/Klingons/Ferengi/Cardassians/ are *almost* always bad) and actually get deeper into the politics and characters. There's also much more continuity between episodes, even if it's a minor subplot, lends much more to immersion.

tng suxx

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:16 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Yes, but they still have the overdone device of "lets have a fantasy episode in the holodeck" that is the bane of all modern Treks.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:35 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Star Trek: Into Darkness trailer just dropped. Love what Abrams is doing with the franchise. Haters gonna hate.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:38 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I don't know. I don't feel like a hater but I'm not looking forward to this moive. The reason I like Star Trek so much is that it makes me feel happy and optimistic or at least not depressed about the weight of the world. This movie looks like it would give me nightmares.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:51 am 
Nailed to the V

I'm a hater. It's nothing to do with Star Trek. It's an action movie using some similar proper nouns as the series we know as Star Trek.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:55 am 
rowdily playing checkers

Abrams took Star Trek in the single most boring direction he could have: dark, dark anti-heros in a grimdark future.

I mean, they straight up murder some dudes at the end of the first movie. And then just kind of smirk about it and go on their way. fork, man. fork.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:55 am 
rowdily playing checkers

Abrams took Star Trek in the single most boring direction he could have: dark, dark anti-heros in a grimdark future.

I mean, they straight up murder some dudes at the end of the first movie. And then just kind of smirk about it and go on their way. fork, man. fork.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:18 am 
WRETCHED

The merging of Star Trek and Star Wars is now complete.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:29 am 
A Bad Person

So are they going to get on a space ship in this movie? I'm not sure I saw any starships, or space at all, in that trailer.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:35 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I liked J.J. Abrams first Star Trek movie.

As far as Star Trek movies in general go I am bit tired of the focus being on space operas and a single, large, monolithic destructive force menacing the federation.

I would Star Trek to get back to science fiction and speculative fiction, that is what captured my imagination as a child and made me a life long fan.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:39 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I just noticed this thread. So much Voyager hate! I agree that many of the episodes are a hot mess (like the aforementioned Janeway/Tom Paris having lizard slug babies one) but some of them are a lot more interesting and high-concept than any of the other series. And the bad ones usually just make me laugh and laugh and laugh and laugh. I say that having seen every single episode of TOS, TNG, DS9 and Voyager, because I am a crazy person who watches too much TV.

Favourite series: Tough to call, but TNG is probably the most coherent of all of them
Character: Worf is unquestionably the best. The Doctor from Voyager is close runner-up. Honorable mentions go to Data, Lt. Barclay, and Tuvok.
Alien species: Don't have one, some are interesting and some are not
Episode: "The Inner Light" and the Data/Sherlock Holmes ones from TNG, "Blink of an Eye" from Voyager, the Trouble With Tribbles/DS9 mashup, and "The City on the Edge of Forever" and "The Savage Curtain" from TOS (the latter of which admittedly is terrible, but I've always been fond of its outlandish stupidity). Have I mentioned that I watch too much TV?
Villain: Gul Dukat
Movie: Star Trek 4 (Save The Whales)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:29 pm 
A Bad Person

http://www.fathomevents.com/#!star-trek ... th-worlds/

YEEEEEEESSSSSS

Also, hilarious that I'm moving about an hour away from my nearest participating theater the weekend before this. DON'T CARE! I will drive that hour there right after work, watch two hours of Star Trek, and drive all the way home. I will make a four hour commitment to TNG on a work night.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:29 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

When I checked, tickets were like $15. I don't know why the hell they can't just charge regular ticket prices.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:55 pm 
A gift from the crasshole god.

Now that I am unemployed I am planning on working my way through TOS and then TNG (because TNG is my favourite and these are the two complete seasons that I own) which should be fun.

As far as the new movies go, I enjoyed the first and I am looking forward to the next. They aren't the ST that I fell in love or grew up with and I agree with Mumbles that they have taken the predictable, darker route. I was also bothered by that casual murder. On the other hand it is still fun. Whatever happens Picard will always be my Captain and "This is sex" Worf will always be my #1 ST crush!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:05 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6