| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Writers "Kick in the Pants" thread
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:42 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Procrastinating on nano. Currently at around 12.5K, should probably be quite a bit higher. Doubt I'll get more writing done tonight. Maybe tomorrow night? But I might have plans for tomorrow night. Definitely hoping to get all caught up on Sunday.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:15 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I sent in a huge chunk of my manuscript! Yikes. Yikes. Yikes.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:42 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Good luck, vijita!

After days of doing other stuff (mainly cleaning and baking and taking care of accumulated paperwork), I've finally managed to integrate all my notes, and I'm currently at

My goal for the weekend: reaching 50%.

Also, my motivation will never lessen. I got some praise from just the right person, which makes me so happy I could dance around all day (or better yet, write all day!!).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:24 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

lillianp wrote:
Procrastinating on nano. Currently at around 12.5K, should probably be quite a bit higher. Doubt I'll get more writing done tonight. Maybe tomorrow night? But I might have plans for tomorrow night. Definitely hoping to get all caught up on Sunday.

If it makes you feel better, I'm at a little over 3,000- just about 7 pages of work.

I had to kick my own asparagus the other day and make myself write. There's no reason not to!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:25 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

*kicking everyone's pants a little*

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:00 pm 

Thank you! My unrealistic goal for today is 8500.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:48 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

vijita wrote:
I sent in a huge chunk of my manuscript! Yikes. Yikes. Yikes.

Good luck!

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:27 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Even though I accidentally drowned my poor old laptop in coffee (it's working again today!!), I got such a lot done. I could borrow a nice little laptop with a keyboard that felt very comfortable, so I could type really fast.

I'm over 50%!

Still, I have so much to catch up on. My course materials were on my hard drive, so there's a lot to do in the next couple of days.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:16 pm 
WELFARIST!

Good luck to everyone who has submitted stuff!
Phoenix wrote:
Also, my motivation will never lessen.

This is how I feel. I usually don't need any kicks in the pants, I need someone to tell me to stop being so ambitious and take a vacation once in a while!

Kicks to everyone (which hurts me more than it hurts you).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:16 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

53%, last time I looked. My short story got rejected, but I won't give up trying just yet.

Also, it's amazing how much stuff I get done when I actually like most of it!

seitanicverses wrote:
I need someone to tell me to stop being so ambitious and take a vacation once in a while!

Yep, me too. I have too many vacation days left over.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:37 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Got all caught up with nano! But would like to start pulling ahead by tiny increments. Hopefully writing 2k tonight. But we'll see since I have to get my bike fixed, cook & do laundry as well. Blah humbug.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:28 pm 
WELFARIST!

This is probably only open to Canadian writers, but there's a CBC Canada Writes contest for true stories with "Close Encounters with Science". There's no entry fee, grand prize is $1000 and it's only calling for 400-500 words which is like, a page and a half. You can do that in an evening. Deadline is next week.

Here's the link for details: http://www.cbc.ca/books/canadawrites/20 ... lenge.html

CBC contests always get thousands of entries so it's probably a crepe shoot to get that prize but you never know, the judges might dig what you can come up with. Also, they're restricting this to one entry per person, so that'll help keep their volume down. I've been working on my own entry the last couple of days after putting my novel time in.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:17 pm 

seitanicverses wrote:
This is probably only open to Canadian writers, but there's a CBC Canada Writes contest for true stories with "Close Encounters with Science". There's no entry fee, grand prize is $1000 and it's only calling for 400-500 words which is like, a page and a half. You can do that in an evening. Deadline is next week.

Here's the link for details: http://www.cbc.ca/books/canadawrites/20 ... lenge.html

CBC contests always get thousands of entries so it's probably a crepe shoot to get that prize but you never know, the judges might dig what you can come up with. Also, they're restricting this to one entry per person, so that'll help keep their volume down. I've been working on my own entry the last couple of days after putting my novel time in.

eeeeeee! I cannot resist. Thanks for posting!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:27 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

61%!!! That's practically (almost) two thirds! Also found out that a topic I've been working on for some time totally fits in here as well, so I guess it's quite impossible for me to end up with too little material. Annnnnd picking up the book again.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:29 pm 
One Trick Dick

Might be joining a writing group a friend is starting. That'll be a nice kick in the pants.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:59 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

alan wrote:
Might be joining a writing group a friend is starting. That'll be a nice kick in the pants.

Excellent! Taking a class that's really a writing workshop is probably the best motivation I've had all year.

And by "motivation," I of course mean "kick in the pants."

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:34 am 
WELFARIST!

I always remember workshops as being very creatively stimulating. I sort of always listened to the criticisms everyone has and take note of it, but the people I really tended to really listen to were are the ones who seemed to grasp what I was trying to do in the first place. If someone doesn't "get" you, or your style or the way your mind works or whatever, I never found their criticism held much value when it came to close reading, but I never dismissed them entirely because they can also notice something in a very broad stroke way that is valuable to know (in my experience). And honestly, if a professor is moderating, I've found their criticisms to be the most apt because, yeah, experience counts for a whole lot in the writing world.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:50 pm 
Grandfathered In

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:23 pm 
Grandfathered In

I wrote tonight, for the first time in... a month?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:04 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I took a day off yesterday and met actual people and had brunch with them and talked about books and my friend's awesome new job (she gets to do translation for videogames) and stuff. Slowly walking back home through the cold city (with a stop at LUSH) was a nice change too.
Project somewhere around 70%. Too little material never an issue.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:46 pm 
WELFARIST!

Yay for progress, Phoenix and footie!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:49 pm 
WELFARIST!

So what's happening, folks? Catch me up on your stuff. I was looking at my novel stuff today (even though I was supposed to take the month off--but I'm enthused--good sign!) and decided that it's probably gonna have to be satire. I can't write it seriously--it would be a joke. Might as well make the joke intentional, you know? Also, what kept jumping out at me as keepers for the next revision when I skimmed the manuscript were the funny bits so I think I need to stay with that. Also, as soon as I decided it should be satire, I felt comfortable instead of anxious about it, as in before I was thinking "how am I ever gonna pull this serious shiitake off?" The thing is, I can't so I won't. I really can't be the heavy, it's just not me. We'll see though. I know I always have to keep an open mind and close no idea off at this point. It's still so early.

Even though I won't add anything new to the novel this month, I'm sure, other than ideas for the New Year, just sticking my head in there and thinking about it and seeing where I'm at is beneficial.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:29 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

seitanicverses wrote:
Even though I won't add anything new to the novel this month, I'm sure, other than ideas for the New Year, just sticking my head in there and thinking about it and seeing where I'm at is beneficial.

I'm 100% convinced this works!
Did practically nothing all week (just added one or two lines so I wouldn't forget what I was thinking), but reread some things and listened to a lot of music mentioned in the books and basically always had the project at the back of my mind. Now I think/feel that I've managed to find just the right frame of mind to do this. And I think I've managed to back up all my arguments with examples. All I need to do now is to connect all my notes and scribbles and make it sound professional. So let's do this!
(Oh, except I have two deadlines to meet in January, so I guess I'll be working on the smaller projects for a while and hopefully finish this big one in January/February.)

P.S. Short story rejected by 3 magazines already. Although I got lots of positive feedback from people who have read it, it doesn't seem to fit into any literary category. (fork categories.)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:27 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

4th submission: done.

Learning a lot about standard manuscript format (and variations thereupon). I don't have Courier font installed, but I hope Times New Roman will do.
At least it's looking more and more professional.

Not giving up.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:21 am 
WELFARIST!

My stuff gets rejected all the time! I've even seen improvements in the quality of my rejection letters as progress. For example, I used to (and still sometimes do) get the photocopied rejection page with no personalized comments but now I often get encouragement from editors (though still a rejection) with a special little mention about what they think makes my work special or tell me what they like about it and one magazine is especially awesome to me and when they rejected one of my stories, the head editor of the mag sent me a full handwritten page saying that she would consider the story again if I expanded it, etc., and had all these specific suggestions as to what her readers wanted and how I could amend my story to her readershioop and I was just so touched that even though it was a rejection that she took the time to do that. And I could tell from her remarks she read the story carefully and and with great insight, like she knew exactly what I was trying to do as a writer with it and so that was amazing. That's the kind of help from editors and critical types I'm always on the lookout for. (I appreciate her advice and agree with it but I actually like the story as it is so I have continued to send it out and it keeps getting rejected. It's under consideration somewhere now but I expect it will be rejected there too. I actually plan to expand the idea into a novel but I don't really want to work on it as a short story any further anyhoo).

It's the folks who can keep brushing themselves off and get right back up on the horse that get published eventually (at least in the short story/poetry literary magazine type world). Rejections get much easier in time. I used to be bummed for a couple of days when I got a rejection, then for an afternoon and now when I get rejection you could ask me an hour after the rejection came from what story/poem it was for and what magazine it was and I've already forgotten because I'm already focusing on what I can do to improve the work and where it can go next for consideration. Onward! You do grow a callus and get tough to it. I think when I finish my novel those rejections will live with me a little longer and maybe a little harder as the amount of work that's going to go into the damn thing.

Never give up!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 25  Next