| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4322 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89 ... 173  Next
 Post subject: Re: First World Problems
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:36 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Tofulish wrote:
Yes, I was troubled by the title as well, for all the reasons listed above, but thought we figured it was okay to use a term that had slipped into the vernacular and is more pithy than "Minor Problems Too Insignificant To Warrant Their Own Thread But Annoying Enough to Bother PPKers that Don't Fit Into the Myriad Other Minor Things Threads That Have Accumulated Over The Years Like the Pet Peeves Thread or The Space For Things That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread."

Yep, pretty much this. Nobody has changed the topic yet and this gets rehashed every few dozen pages or so. This is (mostly) the "trivial crepe" thread.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:31 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

Mars wrote:
Wait... pretty sure this is a problem in first and second world countries too.

Oh, sorry, I was unclear with that -- I was just responding to someone else's post about blood drives, not saying that it was a "first world problem".

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:38 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

Jigglypuff wrote:
Does anyone else find the idea of "first world problems" kind of weird and problematic? I mean, sure, there are parts of certain "third world" countries where there are issues with hunger or high infant mortality, but then there are parts of those same countries where people sip beverages and complain about their wifi connection. I feel like it contributes to seeing certain regions as a monolith of starving children who need to be saved when really there is a large range of economic circumstances.

Edited because I found this, written by Teju Cole:
"I don't like this expression 'First World problems.' It is false and it is condescending. Yes, Nigerians struggle with floods or infant mortality. But these same Nigerians also deal with mundane and seemingly luxurious hassles. Connectivity issues on your BlackBerry, cost of car repair, how to sync your iPad, what brand of noodles to buy: Third World problems. All the silly stuff of life doesn't disappear just because you're black and live in a poorer country. People in the richer nations need a more robust sense of the lives being lived in the darker nations. Here's a First World problem: the inability to see that others are as fully complex and as keen on technology and pleasure as you are."

I'm not trying to criticize anyone here. I just thought it was interesting.

I actually completely agree with this. :) I started the thread as a sort of tongue-in-cheek thing. Soon after we'd started the thread, it was pointed out to me that it is problematic, and I entirely agree with that assessment. But since I already had started the thread, I felt like it would be disingenuous for me to try to shut down what I had already started, and I think it's actually better if we leave the thread open and periodically discuss why it's problematic.

So, please, continue to criticize! That's how anybody's ever going to learn anything :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:39 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Can you give blood if you're a woman who has had protected sex with a man that's had protected sex with a man? Do they even ask?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:39 am 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

My apartment building is back to threatening to kick us out unless we get rid of potted plants and other personalized things, like patio furniture. They prefer the army barrack look.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:02 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I've got myself listed as an organ donor, too, and wonder how smart that is of me. I'm kind of slutty, and not always safe I'm sad to admit. Plus there's the whole 'I take a hormone every day for my whole life' thing, that's not exactly something science has a whole lot of info on...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:06 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Fee wrote:
Can you give blood if you're a woman who has had protected sex with a man that's had protected sex with a man? Do they even ask?

If you're a woman who has had sex with a man who's had sex with a man, you must wait 12 months before donating.
Also, if you've ever received "money, drugs, or other payment" in exchange for sex, you are also never allowed to donate. (If you've ever paid for sex, you're allowed.)

I just did a bit of research, since I haven't looked at this issue in a couple years, and it seems that all the major blood transfusion orgs, including the Red Cross themselves agree that the restriction on men who have sex with men should be changed. It's the FDA who has refused to change it, and the Red Cross is required to follow FDA regulations.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:14 pm 
Semen Strong

Fee wrote:

I asked if I could give blood given that my sexual partner from West Africa had never had sex with anyone in West Africa (where the strain of HIV that may be undetectable in current testing originated) and had only had 1 other partner before me. And the answer was no.

And if I could give if I had been a vegan while in Europe, and the answer also was no. The guy said that I might have been exposed to meat without my knowledge. So yeah.

Its not like anyone is patrolling this stuff, so I could walk in, lie and donate, but I don't really feel like that is ethical.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:08 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I need to put up my numerous Christmas decorations because the boxes have been out for 3 days now but I am wasting time looking at the internets.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:32 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

Tofulish wrote:
Fee wrote:

I asked if I could give blood given that my sexual partner from West Africa had never had sex with anyone in West Africa (where the strain of HIV that may be undetectable in current testing originated) and had only had 1 other partner before me. And the answer was no.

And if I could give if I had been a vegan while in Europe, and the answer also was no. The guy said that I might have been exposed to meat without my knowledge. So yeah.

Its not like anyone is patrolling this stuff, so I could walk in, lie and donate, but I don't really feel like that is ethical.

I can't decide what's more unethical: me lying or them creating stupid rules.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:21 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

choirqueer wrote:
Fee wrote:
Also, if you've ever received "money, drugs, or other payment" in exchange for sex, you are also never allowed to donate. (If you've ever paid for sex, you're allowed.)

I did not know this, but wow, it's crazy!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:40 pm 
Saggy Butt

Mars wrote:
I've got myself listed as an organ donor, too, and wonder how smart that is of me. I'm kind of slutty, and not always safe I'm sad to admit. Plus there's the whole 'I take a hormone every day for my whole life' thing, that's not exactly something science has a whole lot of info on...

I would think that if it were that important they would ask like they do with blood donation, not leave it up to individual responsibility. The need for organs and other donate-able tissues is so high that I think they'd rather everyone is registered and they can weed out unsuitable donors from there. When a person dies, the window to harvest is incredibly small and frequently otherwise healthy and eligible donors can't be used because of the manner of their death. Plus, in some cases the recipients options are transplant or certain death, so pretty much anything is a better bet than what they have.

Good on you for registering as an organ donor, by the way! My sister works in transplant and is always talking about how they need as many donors as they can get. Spread the word!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:16 pm 
WRETCHED

I'm an organ donor too, my mom has this theory that if you are an organ donor that EMTs/Paramedics will let you die more readily, but I think she is just crazy.

Also, I do try to give blood as often as I can. I'm apparently one of the 10%? of people in the US that has blood suitable for babies and those with compromised immune systems. I can't remember what it is but most people have a blood borne virus that is mostly harmless except to certain populations. So the cards I get in the mail always have pictures of babies on them urging me to give blood.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:19 pm 
Semen Strong

joyfulgirl wrote:
Tofulish wrote:

I can't decide what's more unethical: me lying or them creating stupid rules.

I don't think I can police anyone's ethics but my own (mine are pretty shady).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:23 pm 
Dead by dawn

linanil wrote:
I'm an organ donor too, my mom has this theory that if you are an organ donor that EMTs/Paramedics will let you die more readily, but I think she is just crazy.

Also, I do try to give blood as often as I can. I'm apparently one of the 10%? of people in the US that has blood suitable for babies and those with compromised immune systems. I can't remember what it is but most people have a blood borne virus that is mostly harmless except to certain populations. So the cards I get in the mail always have pictures of babies on them urging me to give blood.

Sounds like you're CMV-negative. Most people have been exposed to it. I was CMV-negative at least when I was a teen/young adult and had a special code on my donor card to make sure that my blood was earmarked for immune-compromised people versus parted out or used for research, and when I was 18 I did directed donations to the youngest baby ever born at Cedars-Sinai. I don't know if I'm still CMV-negative because I just can't donate anymore. I don't have good veins for it anymore. (Last time was right before Veganstock I and I showed up with my arm violet from the crook of my elbow halfway down to my wrist from them yanking out a clot and me bleeding into my skin.)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:24 pm 
Semen Strong

You guys are awesome for donating! I'd love to donate - I do think it is so important. Take my blood forkers!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:25 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

monkeytoes wrote:
(Last time was right before Veganstock I and I showed up with my arm violet from the crook of my elbow halfway down to my wrist from them yanking out a clot and me bleeding into my skin.)

I feel queasy now.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:25 pm 
WRETCHED

Yeah, CMV. I always forget what it is. My veins are pretty strong so I generally don't have a problem.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:28 pm 
Dead by dawn

I would still donate if they could take blood anywhere but from your arm. I think that's a rule too and, as one nurse put it, my "rivers have changed their course" over time. So now I'm on the marrow registry and am an organ donor, but no blood. Which is too bad because I'm O-.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:51 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I wish I could donate blood. I try each time there is a blood drive, but when we get to the part about living in Europe in the 80's, I strike out. At my previous job they gave out baseball tickets for blood donors, and I still got them even though my lovely, clean, vegan blood was not good enough for them.

I am an organ donor, which I wanted to be ever since I was maybe 6 or 7 years old. I always reminded my mother of the fact, even though she didn't like the idea of having to face situations where that would have come true.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:24 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

choirqueer wrote:
Fee wrote:

http://www.redcrossblood.org/donating-b ... al-listing

Red Cross website wrote:
You should not give blood if you have AIDS or have ever had a positive HIV test, or if you have done something that puts you at risk for becoming infected with HIV.

You are at risk for getting infected if you:

have ever used needles to take drugs, steroids, or anything not prescribed by your doctor
are a male who has had sexual contact with another male, even once, since 1977
have ever taken money, drugs or other payment for sex since 1977
have had sexual contact in the past 12 months with anyone described above

received clotting factor concentrates for a bleeding disorder such as hemophilia
were born in, or lived in, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Congo, Equatorial Guinea,Gabon, Niger, or Nigeria, since 1977.
since 1977, received a blood transfusion or medical treatment with a blood product in any of these countries, or
had sex with anyone who, since 1977, was born in or lived in any of these countries. Learn more about HIV Group O, and the specific African countries where it is found.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:32 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

What happened in 1977 that didn't in 1976?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:55 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Oh, sorry for rehashing an old topic! That's what happens when you don't read all 85 pages of a thread, haha.

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:05 pm 
WELFARIST!

lavawitch wrote:
What happened in 1977 that didn't in 1976?

HIV was first identified in North America.

Although I saw a special on PBS years ago that theorized that it was first identified in Africa in 1958.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:38 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

But the virus has been around (if not known) for almost 100 years though, and was identified in the 80s. It just seems all so arbitrary.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4322 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89 ... 173  Next