| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13641 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81 ... 546  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:11 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

lobsteriffic wrote:
DEG wrote:
I got one at the avocado festival last year

Whoa whoa whoa, an AVOCADO FESTIVAL? That sounds like heaven!

I agree entirely.

Thanks for the eggnog links, guys! I have a disastrously large amount of vanilla pudding mix that needs using, and hubby can only eat so much pudding. The PPK one looks good but too involved for my tastes. And I am not wasting an avocado on eggnog when I would rather have it eleventy billion other ways. Avocado is too good to hide!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:35 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

lobsteriffic wrote:
DEG wrote:
I got one at the avocado festival last year

Whoa whoa whoa, an AVOCADO FESTIVAL? That sounds like heaven!

Sadly, not nearly as heavenly as one would hope. Beyond the guacamole, there was not much to eat. I asked the tamale place if they had vegan ones, and after much conferencing they finally agreed that they had brought a few, but they were still frozen, and it would be 30 minutes. I got lots of good info on how to grow an avocado tree, which we will do as soon as our dead plum tree gets removed, and I got the avocado saver. Other than that, it was a bust.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:57 pm 
WRETCHED

Was this the one in Fallbrook?

I grew up where avocado and orange trees were plentiful and we used to pick pomegranates off of neighbor's trees. Now all I got are corn and soybeans.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:05 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

linanil wrote:
Was this the one in Fallbrook?

I grew up where avocado and orange trees were plentiful and we used to pick pomegranates off of neighbor's trees. Now all I got are corn and soybeans.

Yes, the avocado festival in fallbrook. I think I would have liked it more if I could actually eat any of the stuff there, but as it was it was just lame.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:00 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Of the three recipes on the back of a smoked tofu package, two contained chicken and the third called for cheese.

Be proud of who you are, smoked tofu. You are better than chicken.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:20 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

linanil wrote:
Quorn doesn't have sausages in the US, I don't think. It is odd though that they wouldn't offer the vegan burger in the UK either.

And anyone have a pumpkin spice recipe? :)

Bryanna's pumpkin spice nog. I'm not sure if that's what you were looking for, but I make this every year and have a hard time not drinking the entire batch in one go. And I think it's better than the store-bought pumpkin spice stuff (though I've only ever had the coconut milk variety, and I tried it for the first time this year).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:24 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I glad press & seal wrap my avocadoes. Works reasonably well for 1-2 days.

My peeve: The local independent coffee shop by my house has, the last few visits, been OUT of vegan lemon bars. Really strange, they say. More tomorrow, they say. There is some other rogue vegan in my neighborhood hogging* the lemon bars. Last time they didn't have the wedding cookies either.

* Tofuing?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:19 am 
WELFARIST!

torque wrote:
2) i was listening to the interview with the Smitten Kitchen lady on WNYC yesterday and this chef called in to compliment her, and then before he hung up said "just so you know, in the vaygun community, mushrooms are considered to be close enough to animals that they aren't vegetarian". Did anyone else hear that?
Uh, NO. NO and NO.

How?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:44 am 
Grandfathered In

Well, fungi and animals split apart from each other after they both split off from plants.

Of course, we parted ways with fungi a little while ago. Maybe, like, a billion years ago?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:13 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

The ppk filter has ruined things for me. Whenever I read recipes in English I "un-filter" words in my head: bisque, asparagus, fork, shiitake etc - very confusing.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:31 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

"But you don't know what is actually in that, there could be anything in it."

Quite the opposite you judgemental dumbpants..... my vegusto contains exactly the stuff it has on the ingredients list. Now, as for your decaying carcass on your plate......... God knows what added extras you are ingesting that you haven't got a notion about and not listed anywhere on the packet.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:40 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

So, my company's Ruth's Chris christmas dinner last night! It was probably the funniest restaurant meal I've ever been presented with.

Dinner was 4 spears of steamed asparagus, 6 broccoli florets, and half a tomato. All arranged artfully on a plate. No seasonings of any kind. I ate this while my coworkers all ate steaks, lobster, and huge portions of various side items.

For dessert, I was served half a cup of berries. While everyone else got servings of cheesecake and chocolate cake the side of their heads.

I mean, look, I understand that this place is meatville and vegan food isn't really their thing. But apparently "vegan" translated as "does not eat food." It was just not an appropriate atmosphere to complain, so I didn't. But it was such a sad, almost demeaning experience.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:51 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I had a work lunch and my boss kept asking me about my choices. I did not want to discuss this at work and kept trying to divert the conversation, but they just kept going. Our HR person would have been appalled.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:06 pm 
Dead by dawn

Ugh, sorry ashley. That's exactly why I'm not going to mine. My receptionist emailed the catering manager at the steakhouse my manager picked to see what they could do to accomodate the two vegans and one vegetarian. The answer was very enthusiastic. Of course they can make up a menu for the vegans. The can offer vegetables (your choice of sauteed or steamed) and baked potatoes. Any questions? Yeah I have a question: do you really think that's what vegans eat?! Fork me, I like a baked potato as much as the next guy, but it would pretty obviously be plain and a plain baked potato and some steamed veggies is just not a forking holiday celebration.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:13 pm 
Grandfathered In

At our sad, in-office holiday party yesterday, there were probably 4 appetizers (none vegan), about 4 entrees (1 vegan), and platters of nonvegan desserts (but there were 2 plastic-wrapped, golfball-sized vegan cookie things).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:47 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Once I went to a pizzeria with several meat-eaters. I wasn't worried because the menu listed boiled potatoes. I can survive on boiled potatoes. But, when I tried to order, the waitress told me they don't have boiled potatoes. So I ate "seasonal salad": lettuce with addition of some cucumbers, peppers and tomatoes.

Then, I went to the fanciest restaurant in another town and ordered double portion of boiled potatoes with parsley. It was quite expensive for less than a plate (how tiny is single portion), dried parsley and - a glob of butter in the middle of it, which prevented me from eating potatoes in contact with it.

Once I went to the most famous pizzeria in Zagreb. They use original Italian recipes. They have focaccia, so I knew there would be something to eat. But, it turned out, the pizza crust which is used for focaccia as well contains milk. Originally Italian. So I drank too expensive vegan beer - dark Erdinger and watched others eating.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:21 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

My pet peeve- having to pay for sub-par/non-existent vegan food (above examples noted). I'd rather just stay at home and cook.

Blog: veganbutnotscary.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:35 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

our work holiday party is usually at a restaurant and it's usually just appetizers. for a couple years in a row i got out of it becuase my husband's office xmas party was the same night and they actually invite the spouse's unlike my office and it's a sit down dinner.
this year i ran out of excuses so i said i would go. apparently we must be getting dinner this year because the manager who is putting to together called me and said they could give me vegan pasta primavera and vegan salad (i love the concept of vegan salad lol).

i thanked her for thinking of me and said that would be awesome etc and inside i was just thinking "ugh forking pasta primavera"

i have this sneaking suspicion it will be covered in butter and gross.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:40 pm 
Semen Strong

ashley wrote:

I mean, look, I understand that this place is meatville and vegan food isn't really their thing. But apparently "vegan" translated as "does not eat food." It was just not an appropriate atmosphere to complain, so I didn't. But it was such a sad, almost demeaning experience.

We were at the Hotel Corronado in San Diego, so superswank, and the restaurant served about 200 people beautiful four course meals. When everyone was eating their desserts, my plain pasta with tomato sauce came out. I had sat for 90 mins waiting for my food and whenever I'd ask, someone would say "it'll be right out.". Everyone at the table would stare at me when a new course came out and I'd have to say, "oh no go ahead!". It was humiliating and awful. I would have rather just ordered a veggie burger from room service.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:01 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

That forking sucks, Tofulish. I was at a conference the other day at a Westin hotel and my "vegan" (cheese ravioli) meal came out after everyone else had already eaten their entrees and were waiting for dessert. And then I couldn't even eat the forking thing when it finally came. I didn't bother to ask for a replacement because the meal would've been over by the time it came out. I was surrounded by strangers and had to explain my diet to them when they knew absolutely nothing else about me. Not cool.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:02 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

LisaPunk wrote:
our work holiday party is usually at a restaurant and it's usually just appetizers. for a couple years in a row i got out of it becuase my husband's office xmas party was the same night and they actually invite the spouse's unlike my office and it's a sit down dinner.
this year i ran out of excuses so i said i would go. apparently we must be getting dinner this year because the manager who is putting to together called me and said they could give me vegan pasta primavera and vegan salad (i love the concept of vegan salad lol).

i thanked her for thinking of me and said that would be awesome etc and inside i was just thinking "ugh forking pasta primavera"

i have this sneaking suspicion it will be covered in butter and gross.

so call the restaurant in advance and check on it - and maybe ask for something else?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:06 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I reckon on the work night out I am going to have to make do with tiny serving of stir fry veg and rice. With melon as starter and fruit as dessert. Looks like I will be bringing some Mr Kipling in my bag for dessert, some cashew nuts and a few bit of spices to put a bit of oomph in my stir fry and I will be happy enough with the melon as a starter.

On the way home I will stop by the pizza place and get me a veggie pizza with no cheese to fill me up.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:32 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

We have a mandatory faculty lunch this week. They sent out an email for our orders. We can choose from three different chicken dishes from a Chinese restaurant that has lots of vegetarian or vegan things on their menu or, marked specifically for "vegetarians only please" vegetable lasagna with Greek salad from an Italian restaurant.

They cant make any of those vegan, so I'm out of luck. It wouldn't annoy me so much if they weren't getting this crepe from a place I *could* have something nice.

What can I bring myself that doesn't need refrigeration that will make them jealous? Hrmph.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:53 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Had a classic conversation with my mum the other day
Mum:"But think of the cows! They need to get rid of all that milk!"
Me: "They wouldn't have a calf every year if we didn't want the milk, would they?"
Mum: "Do you want cows to go extinct?"
Me: Changed the subject.

Is there a vegan pet peeve bingo card? Because if there is, I want one. The holidays are coming and I have a feeling it would fill up fast...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:00 am 
WRETCHED

I'm trying to figure out what I want to do tomorrow. It is our holiday party and I said I'd bring my own food. The thing is all I want is a sandwich but I don't have sandwich stuffs at home. So.... I can either take something that'll need microwaving or I can buy a sandwich in the cafeteria. Slight problem is we have a meeting prior so I may not have time to go to the cafeteria but I could always send my husband if he is available. Then again the sandwiches tend to be messy.

I'm more inclined to take my own food and try to eat lunch after the party but I'll be starving by the time I can eat lunch.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13641 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81 ... 546  Next