| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 940 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 38  Next
 Post subject: Re: Silly and shallow celebrity gossip
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:14 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Ruby Rose wrote:
The Queen has a constitutional role - she is technically the independent final arbiter of law making. Even if a new law is voted through the House of Lords and the House of Commons. It doesn't come into force until she gives her consent. In practice, she automatically does, but it is supposed to protect us from political extremism. I don't know if she also fulfils this role in the other Commonwealth countries of which she is also Queen.

In Canada, yes. Though, again it's symbolic. And by proxy. Queenie don't give a shiitake about ol' Canada.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:30 am 
Chard Martyr

The Queen is on my money and I have this dumb mug because I was born the same year and month as Prince William in England that is worth a bit of money, apparently. I keep meaning to sell it so I can buy groceries.

To my knowledge, Canada's Governor General consults with the Royals, but on what, I do not know.

I should probably add that that information is from my grade ten social studies course so, um...I don't know shiitake.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:59 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Sort of political, but my roommate was telling me that apparently there's opposition to letting a firstborn daughter rule because it would just open up the monarchy debate again.

And I'm totally against the monarchy, but even I think that's a stupid reason. Wouldn't it slightly make people a little more okay with the monarchy?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:47 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

YOU GUYS, I'm interested in the royals, but we are missing out on Lindsey Lohan punching a woman in a club and owing the IRS hundreds of thousands of dollars.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:48 am 
WRETCHED

Ruby Rose wrote:
She also acts as an independent advisor to the Prime Minister - and frankly, since she has worked with every Prime Minister since Winston Churchill, there's no-one in the UK with more political experience than her.

I have nothing against the Queen herself, just the general idea of a monarchy. If she passes and say Charles passes soon after, would we say the same about William? What value would he really add? And even to go further, say the Queen, Charles and William all die within a 5 year period or so and a child is left as the #1. What value does that child add? And I understand that they'd have a proxy until they are 18 but still.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:11 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

Every now and then I pause to think about the fact that I am, technically, a subject of the Queen of Australia.

It's a strange feeling.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:05 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ndpittman wrote:
YOU GUYS, I'm interested in the royals, but we are missing out on Lindsey Lohan punching a woman in a club and owing the IRS hundreds of thousands of dollars.

this is a good point but isnt that kind of like a normal Wednesday in her world?

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:08 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I think being hit with 4 criminal charges in 2 states on the same day is a record, even for her.

I used to sort of root for her to get herself together. Now, I've just lost interest. I don't think she is going to pull a Drew Barrymore.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:12 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i wonder if she will actually have to go to jail now. she always seems to get off really easy.
i think she needs both her parents out of her life and a good stint at rehab. i think her parents really messed her up good.

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:17 pm 
WRETCHED

Well Drew Barrymore was screwed up prior to being an adult then got her act together. Its hard to go from being screwed up to non-screwed up if you were screwed up as an adult. I mean it is possible but I think Drew Barrymore's success was in at least part of her maturity.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:35 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Did LL start the drugs and alcohol and whacked behavior in her teens? Maybe not as young as Drew, but she was still basically a kid.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:40 pm 
WRETCHED

Yeah, I'm not sure, I had figured she was a young looking adult (17, 18) but I could be wrong. Drew was like 11 I think.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:51 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I read Drew's book Little Girl Lost back when it was published (late eighties/early nineties) and my sense of Drew was that she really wasn't an alcoholic in the sense of hitting bottom or whatnot--she struck me more as a teenager dabbling in drugs who got into some trouble and was labeled "alcoholic and drug addict" when, meh, I've seen alcoholic and drug addict and the behavior she describes in that book is not it. It was dabbling, it was some pretty thorough experimentation. I think Lindsay's addiction troubles have gotten to a point of being much more significant than Drew's ever were (I don't actually know this, but based on tabloids/troublesome behavior).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:59 pm 
WRETCHED

And I'm not an expert on alcoholism/drug addiction but I'd sort of agree with you based on the interviews I've seen of Drew talking about that time period. It was more other things were driving her to drinking/drugs/recklesness rather than an alcohol/drug addiction. Meaning it was something she could've grown out of whereas people don't grow out of alcohol/drug addictions.

And I can see Lindsay Lohan's initial problems being seen as something like that, as a 'phase' but it seems beyond that point now.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:34 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

linanil wrote:
And I'm not an expert on alcoholism/drug addiction but I'd sort of agree with you based on the interviews I've seen of Drew talking about that time period. It was more other things were driving her to drinking/drugs/recklesness rather than an alcohol/drug addiction. Meaning it was something she could've grown out of whereas people don't grow out of alcohol/drug addictions.

And I can see Lindsay Lohan's initial problems being seen as something like that, as a 'phase' but it seems beyond that point now.

She will be 27 next July. I don't want to make a joke out of the 27 curse but its like she is trying to achieve something tragic.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:51 pm 
Mediocre Tart

mumbles wrote:
Every now and then I pause to think about the fact that I am, technically, a subject of the Queen of Australia.

It's a strange feeling.

Pretty sure I exchanged the Royal Family for you a page ago, so... You're now the Queen of Australia? And Canada? And Scotlandia and its associated countries? Good job on the promotion! Now you have all the islands! And some! Way to go.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:06 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

OK, this is adorable.

Jay-Z rode the subway and very humbly explained who he was to an older person.

http://gawker.com/5965706/jay+z-rides-t ... e-old-lady

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:39 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Yikes - this is just awful. Apparently the nurse who got tricked by those sophomoric DJs has killed herself. I enjoy making fun of the royals as much as the next person, but I can only imagine that William and Kate must feel horrible. I wonder what will happen next?

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/12/07/15753452-nurse-at-duchess-kates-hospital-who-was-hoaxed-by-djs-found-dead

"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:43 am 

Oh my goodness--that's so sad!!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:57 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Desdemona wrote:
Yikes - this is just awful. Apparently the nurse who got tricked by those sophomoric DJs has killed herself. I enjoy making fun of the royals as much as the next person, but I can only imagine that William and Kate must feel horrible. I wonder what will happen next?

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/12/07/15753452-nurse-at-duchess-kates-hospital-who-was-hoaxed-by-djs-found-dead

Why are they even calling that a prank? They impersonated someone for the purpose of obtaining private medical information...such a funny joke.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:04 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Fee wrote:
Desdemona wrote:

Why are they even calling that a prank? They impersonated someone for the purpose of obtaining private medical information...such a funny joke.
I know! This is all part and parcel of living in the fishbowl our society has become. People get randomly thrust into the spotlight, it immediately gets all over the internet, TV & radio news, etc. and then all bets are off. And even though our collective ADHD guarantees that it will be replaced by someone/thing else in about 15 minutes, not everyone can stand up to that kind of unremitting focus, especially if they're a bit fragile to begin with. And now two children have no mother; those idiots should be very proud of themselves right now.

"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:06 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

omg that's terrible!
that poor person to be driven to such lengths. those poor kids :-(

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:09 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

So this happened in October, but I didn't know that Natina Reed from Blaque (who were all in Bring It On) was killed by a car while crossing the street, they were in the middle of recording a comeback album.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:44 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

what?! that is really tragic.
on another note i love bring it on.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:14 am 

And that video is hilarious. I'm sorry to hear that.

Reply to topic  [ 940 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 38  Next