| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15374 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 369, 370, 371, 372, 373, 374, 375 ... 615  Next
 Post subject: Re: What was the best thing about your day?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:25 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I did an irresponsible thing today (I woke up early as I normally do for work, but then I fell asleep like a rock on the couch with my kitty until forking noon, which I never do, well at least on work days). I was supposed to be at work at 8:30. I even set my phone alarm when I felt myself drifting, but I guess I slept right through it. Anyway, I drove to work sobbing because I felt so awful--I've just reprimanded an employee under me for doing the exact same thing, and I am really, really obsessed with being good at my job. And my boyfriend told me last night that he misses seeing me write (my first passion) and just sleeping and working, and it made me sad, so it stung doubly to fork up my job by sleeping.

Anyway, this is the best things thread. My boss was so understanding and so amazing about it. She told me how amazing I have been in my position, and how I've "earned" the right to minor hiccups like this. She even segued into a conversation about moving forward with my position to take on more responsibility but also play to my strengths and get rid of some of the stuff that is just exhausting. Then later on she had me shadow her in a meeting so that I can be trained on more stuff (and be paid more!).

I still feel a bit guilty, but I'm so grateful to be appreciated in a work environment where it is not necessary to slap hands and write people up when mistakes happen. I think this is the first time I've experienced it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:29 pm 
WELFARIST!

Your boss sounds awesome! I hope you can find time to write too because I know as a fellow writer, writing can sort of make me happy like nothing else (it's as good in its own way as falling in love when it's going well!) and you deserve to have that feeling again, too! <3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:48 pm 

seitanicverses wrote:
Your boss sounds awesome! I hope you can find time to write too because I know as a fellow writer, writing can sort of make me happy like nothing else (it's as good in its own way as falling in love when it's going well!) and you deserve to have that feeling again, too! <3

Thank you! I think the whole thing stemmed from me becoming really sad about not finding the time or energy to write, and I have a lot of stress about writing projects with a due date that MUST get done. I hope I can get a raise so I can stop pouring all of myself into my day job. I guess one of the reasons I was so frustrated this morning is because I am about to ask for a raise...

Anyway, I go above and beyond almost all of the time, so I am glad that that negates my silliness today.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:55 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I put christmas lights on my bike! Which is good because I discovered my rear light broke off (I have it still because apparently it broke last night or this morning before I left).

HR folks at work want me to make my bike into Rudolph. Pretty sure I'm A-OK with just the christmas lights since I'm not a huge holidays person but I like festive lights.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:26 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I asked someone out and didn't implode! And they said yes!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:28 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

GymClassZero wrote:

All the high fives!

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:55 pm 
Saggy Butt

I tested out a new storytelling piece at an open mic tonight and then got to watch a pal do a great stand up set after.

I love it when I see great comedians who make it look so easy and who inspire me to write more - even though I know it's NOT always easy.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:22 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

GymClassZero wrote:

That's terrific!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:37 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I got a mole on my face that I've hated my entire life removed! But I look like Frankenstein at the moment.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:02 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

oxycodone!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:47 am 
Level 7 Vegan

A group brought trained therapy dogs on campus for stressed-out students to pet. How can you worry about an essay when you're patting a poodle's floofy head?

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:53 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Jigglypuff wrote:
A group brought trained therapy dogs on campus for stressed-out students to pet. How can you worry about an essay when you're patting a poodle's floofy head?

Had this existed when I was still in university, I might even have ended up with a Masters degree.

<3 all the dogs <3

Best thing about my day: discovering about Provamel hazelnut milk and using it to make hot cocoa. Yum.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:11 pm 
Nailed to the V

My girlfriend's parents are taking me and her on a cruise to Mexico and the Cayman Islands. They just booked it. I'm so excited!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:14 pm 

My cat Agnes was suddenly and mysteriously sick and she went back to the vet today and she doesn't have a fever anymore and she's hydrated again and she's gained a little weight. It was super scary there for a bit, and she's still not totally back to normal, but I am relieved. My vet didn't really reveal how worried she had been until today, she might have been freaking out more than I was.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:15 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Shiney, new macbook pro. My precious.......

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:47 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

My husband is here for the next five weeks! yay!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:42 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Motorbike ride today in a "code orange weather alert" ....

This road was close to my house which doesn't have priority when it comes to dealing with snow.
The main road didn't get much of a salt treatment either and the (short stretch of) highway was slippery too.

Maybe not the smartest thing to go out riding when they advise to avoid riding your car unless you really have to, but it was a memorable ride. (my commute is less than 2 miles)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:27 pm 

Got in to work and someone had left a present on my desk! It's a really pretty keyring with a bird bead, and some other beads cascading down and some multicoloured bells underneath. There was a note saying she'd brought it back from India.

That made me really happy, and then about half an hour into being at work someone else from a different department gave me a tiny gold lucky cat (with chocolate inside, but I'm not sure what kind), after I'd admired the tiny gold pig he brought someone else back from Hong Kong.

Unexpected gifts at work make the day go better!

Also, someone from my department told me I'd given him hilariously bad advice when I was drunk last Thursday. Apparently we were talking about how he should proceed with the girl he's interested and I told him to "just grab her boob".

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:51 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Just got another interview for Tuesday! I think that will be the last one (this will be a total of 7 interviews) for this particular company. Hearing back about another one, honestly a company I am more interested in, on Monday.

Been looking for a long time, and now I have 2 companies interested in me at once. And both jobs pay 15-25% more than I am making right now.

So yeaaaaa...but hopefully I am not jinxing it. Haven't actually got offers yet, but it's looking good!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:56 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Veg_Eric wrote:

This road was close to my house which doesn't have priority when it comes to dealing with snow.
The main road didn't get much of a salt treatment either and the (short stretch of) highway was slippery too.

Maybe not the smartest thing to go out riding when they advise to avoid riding your car unless you really have to, but it was a memorable ride. (my commute is less than 2 miles)

Finally someone dumber than my dad.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:56 pm 
Semen Strong

Veg_Eric wrote:

Did you use your helmet cam? I loved watching the video of you going through floods in NJ. I almost felt like my feet got wet!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:13 pm 
A Bad Person

Veg_Eric wrote:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8481/8252 ... 9cb1_z.jpg

I've ridden my bicycle under those conditions a few times, and that was usually a disaster. So kudos to you if you managed to keep it upright!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:17 pm 
WRETCHED

We got our garbage disposal fixed today (finally). Tomorrow is supposed to be 63 degrees so we are going to DC. I already have dinner narrowed down to either pizza or mexican. I'm pretty leery of mexican restaurants outside of southern california but I'm willing to try plus it has oaxaca in the name! It has to be good, no?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:56 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Snuck away from the kids for a bit and got a much needed haircut. I was also able to hit up the health food store and stock up on much needed items. It costs a lot to cross the bridge so we rarely go. I treated myself to coffee and then decorated my parents' tree with them and my girls.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:03 pm 

brian wrote:
Veg_Eric wrote:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8481/8252 ... 9cb1_z.jpg

I've ridden my bicycle under those conditions a few times, and that was usually a disaster. So kudos to you if you managed to keep it upright!

But I mean, was it necessary? I just don't understand taking unnecessary risks driving/riding. I get that there is a thrill factor, but at what cost?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15374 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 369, 370, 371, 372, 373, 374, 375 ... 615  Next