| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: How long are kids colds contagious?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:20 am 
Built this city on rock and roll

I should add that we have rules on this at daycare. We can bring kids with light colds. But parents are not bringing them in because they are ignorant. They usually have a good reason. I feel bad about it but I guess it's part of the learning curve when you send your kid to daycare.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:46 am 
Nooch of Earl

I do keep her home after a cold (well, after a few days I might run errands but we avoid the baby gym/gym childcare/play cafe/playdates for a couple weeks... once I took her to My Gym a week after she caught a cold and got completely chewed out by another mother for it - no runny nose at that point, but she still had a lingering cough. Fair enough, I shouldn't have taken her, but I don't think she was contagious and I'm pretty sure that's where she *got* the cold!) And that's why it's so annoying. I'm mulling overseas travel--I don't believe in taking babies on unnecessary plane trips so it's not an easy decision anyway--and I would definitely avoid groups of children for a few days before that, because I don't think it's good for kids' ears to be flying with a cold.

Anyway people are welcome to be angry at me or stay at home parents in general (I will cheerfully admit I was a much more interesting, capable, and useful human before having a baby!), but every anecdote I'm reading seems to confirm, not refute, the idea that there are two different circles/standards out there, depending on people's work and childcare situations. I am facing a situation right now where 1-2x/week there are meetings I need to attend for my husband's work, and when there is childcare available it's at the base daycare center, and it's really really annoying to have a sick kid after dropping her off for a couple hours to go to a meeting.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:13 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Tofulish wrote:
Pity mocking me with cookies? I see how it is s'nation. I see....

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:28 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

When I was pregnant a friend with 3 kids said that your child will get every cold, they either get it when they are infants/toddlers in daycare or once they hit kindergarten. I try and remember that every time Grey has a cold. He has had a few, nothing in a while which means we are due. I don't limit him in anyway, if I know a friend has a kid with a cold I don't stop them from playing because I figure he will get it eventually since we all hang out together and all the kids will probably get the cold. Of course, I don't have to worry about Nate like you do about Brett, so that is hugely different.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:20 pm 

littlebear wrote:
When I was pregnant a friend with 3 kids said that your child will get every cold, they either get it when they are infants/toddlers in daycare or once they hit kindergarten. I try and remember that every time Grey has a cold. He has had a few, nothing in a while which means we are due. I don't limit him in anyway, if I know a friend has a kid with a cold I don't stop them from playing because I figure he will get it eventually since we all hang out together and all the kids will probably get the cold. Of course, I don't have to worry about Nate like you do about Brett, so that is hugely different.

I feel the same way. I am pretty happy about the fact that F. only got 3 colds and not the predicted "normal" ten. Maybe this is bullshiitake, but don't they need to be sick to build their immune system?

I also know I would feel differently if I was in the OP's situation. That must really suck and I can understand the concern.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:54 pm 
Semen Strong

Mihl wrote:
littlebear wrote:

I feel the same way. I am pretty happy about the fact that F. only got 3 colds and not the predicted "normal" ten. Maybe this is bullshiitake, but don't they need to be sick to build their immune system?.

I think there are so many different permutations of colds out there you aren't going to eventually get everyone and while immune systems are strengthened by exposure, we feel like Leela eats enough gross stuff to keep hers running like a champion.

For me this is less about wanting Brett to stay healthy than it is that it truly sucks when L is sick because I don't sleep at night because she nurses non-stop to keep her passages open and is a gurgling mass of lung goo. Though obviously it sucks when your partner is sick for 4 weeks.

I am so grateful for my immune system, because mine appears to kick everything in a day ::knock wood::

I just want to say that all of us care about our children, so I don't think it should be problematic to discuss ones own experience and thoughts. And if you think something is offensive and want to educate another poster, maybe do it with as little judgement as you can, because it makes it easier to hear. I really feel like sometimes people get called out for an innocent statement in a way that is far nastier than the initial slight. We're all human, we're all learning, maybe we could all just be kinder to one another. Even if it is the internet, most of us know and trust each other as friends, and it would be nice if we could cut eachother some slack like you would an IRL friend.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:02 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Amajorrecords wrote:

I'm warning you now...the first year of school or daycare is going to be rough on your household. I'm pretty sure she was sick the entire year last year. I was pregnant and miserable catching everything! Now she brings home germs, doesn't get sick, and gives them to her baby sister. Ugh. I'm super strict on hand washing/sanitizing and it still doesnt help. I'm hoping next year will be better.

In our case this hasn't been true at all. I think it all depends on each individual child. Reno's first year of preschool was great. A lot of kids got sick and she had one or two colds but that was it. Her second year was even better and now that she is in Kindergarten she has only missed one day since September, and she wasn't really what I call "sick sick" meaning she could have gone to school that day, when a lot of other kids have already missed 5 or more days.

The shame about schools is that kids area only allowed to miss a certain number amount of days so kids go to school sick all the time.

Now with Miles who is 1 1/2 now...he has gotten croup two years in a row now and seems to catch more colds then Reno ever did in or out of school. I can see him being the sick all year his first year of preschool. :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:12 pm 
Semen Strong

Do you think that Miles gets sick from the stuff that Reno brings home or is it just that he has a different constitution?

Its so good to hear all the babies that didn't have a ton of colds!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:17 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I honestly think he gets them elsewhere. I blame Target and Whole Foods shopping carts the most. I see kids basically eating the handle part that most kids just hold on to. Miles also puts a lot of shiitake into his mouth that Reno never did do.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:18 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Jenna I'm really glad your daughter has an awesome immune system! Any tips or tricks? Or just good luck? I guess I was just shocked by how much my daughter (and we) got sick once she started school. She only had one cold and one stomach flu prior to preschool and she was two before even getting those. We were lucky in that sense. Having sick babies is no fun. Our 8 month old is still kicking a stomach bug one week later (and teething!) :( I am beyond tired.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:19 pm 
Semen Strong

Leela puts EVERYTHING in her mouth. We have been babywearing in the stores, and after your description will be doing so until she graduates HS.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:20 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I agree with Jenna. Every kid is different. Shae didn't get sick at all until he was 2 or so, then he started school when he was 5 and still never really got sick. I think he was 3rd or 4th grade before he started getting sick enough to miss school and usually that was a migraine. Sometimes his friends would all be sick and out of school nearly a week and he'd feel a little bad, go to bed early and wake up good as new the next day. He definitely never got that nonstop sick that everyone says happens to every kid in school/daycare.

Silas, however, has an immune system more like mine. He catches everything and gets it worse than everyone. He had rsv & bronchiolitis for 5 months as an infant and has very sensitive lungs. Even the smallest virus and he's wheezing like crazy.

I think you pretty much need to know your own kid and their limitations and should work around that. With Shae I didn't worry about him being around people with colds at all. That was until his friend gave Silas rsv. His dr made it very clear that we had to be really careful the first few years and we followed that. We aren't as strict about it now that he's older, but he does still end up on his breathing treatments when other kids just get a little cough.

I don't take kids out if they've had a fever in the past day, if they have uncontrollable coughs or if Silas has a green snotty nose. Shae can control his mucus so I don't worry about him. I warn people if the kids are sick and let them make their own choices. I don't take sick kids near babies or elderly people- Silas has his therapies at a rehab center where there are a lot of elderly people recovering from surgeries so this is a big one to me. I honestly don't worry about what's okay or what other people think, I just do what I feel okay about.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:21 pm 

Tofulish wrote:

I just want to say that all of us care about our children, so I don't think it should be problematic to discuss ones own experience and thoughts. And if you think something is offensive and want to educate another poster, maybe do it with as little judgement as you can, because it makes it easier to hear. I really feel like sometimes people get called out for an innocent statement in a way that is far nastier than the initial slight. We're all human, we're all learning, maybe we could all just be kinder to one another. Even if it is the internet, most of us know and trust each other as friends, and it would be nice if we could cut eachother some slack like you would an IRL friend.

I hope this wasn't directed at me because I think I was pretty respectful. I felt offended and still I don't think I was judgemental in my response. I was just sharing my personal experience because I don't like generalizations like "people who do this are like that".

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:29 pm 
Semen Strong

Mihl wrote:
Tofulish wrote:

I hope this wasn't directed at me because I think I was pretty respectful. I felt offended and still I don't think I was judgemental in my response. I was just sharing my personal experience because I don't like generalizations like "people who do this are like that".

It wasn't. And it wasn't meant to be offensive, so my apologies if you felt singled out. Like I said above, its really helpful when people share their own experiences and thoughts, its what makes this place so great. And yes, I've worked for many years, and given limited sick leave and even just the way people look at you when you can't make it in for a certain number days, it definitely becomes hard to justify keeping your child home for just a light cold.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:01 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I've gotten more lax about these things as Lydia has gotten older, but I think part of the reason is that a I'd take a sick 2 year old any day over a sick 5 month old. Sure, a sick kid is never fun, but I think it gets easier as they get older. When Lydia was 5 months old, she got her first bad cold, and it was ROUGH-- nursing was her only comfort, but she was too congested to nurse for very long. If she gets sick now, sure, it still sucks, but I can do more to comfort her at age 2. And she's not attached to my breast 24 hours a day when she's sick anymore either....

Lydia is not in daycare or preschool, but we do such a wide range of activities, exposing her to such a large number of different kids that I'm not convinced that she'd be getting sick more if she was in preschool or daycare. She's probably exposed to a larger number of other toddlers each week than a kid who goes full time to a small daycare with the same kids every day.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:32 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Our 8 month old, D, puts EVERYTHING in her mouth. She especially loves gnawing on grocery carts. Z, our four year old, never did that as infant. Maybe that's why D gets sick more than Z did as an infant as well. Different personalities, different immune systems, different amount of exposure...they all definitely play big factors. Being sick sucks..for everyone. Period. The end. Here's to everyone getting through cold and flu season safely!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:25 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Tofulish wrote:
Mihl wrote:
littlebear wrote:

I feel the same way. I am pretty happy about the fact that F. only got 3 colds and not the predicted "normal" ten. Maybe this is bullshiitake, but don't they need to be sick to build their immune system?.

I think there are so many different permutations of colds out there you aren't going to eventually get everyone and while immune systems are strengthened by exposure, we feel like Leela eats enough gross stuff to keep hers running like a champion.

For me this is less about wanting Brett to stay healthy than it is that it truly sucks when L is sick because I don't sleep at night because she nurses non-stop to keep her passages open and is a gurgling mass of lung goo. Though obviously it sucks when your partner is sick for 4 weeks.

I am so grateful for my immune system, because mine appears to kick everything in a day ::knock wood::

I hope that wasn't directed at me either, I was just saying my experience. I always tell people if grey has a runny nose.so far he has only had colds and not been vomiting or anything.

I don't want to say this and sound mean, but when you said about L keeping you up all night I kind of laughed since that is my every night! I don't mean that to sound like I don't feel for you, it just kind of hit my silly bone or something. I know we all have different challenges and I know that it really, really sucks to have a good sleeper devolve into a terrible sleeper!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:45 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

We need to keep this thread civil. No one should have to feel attacked in a thread like this.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:57 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

O, I really didn't mean anything by it, it was more like, I get the no sleeping baby thing and I would do anything to have a good sleeping baby. I am still not explaining it well. I totally and 100% understand where tofulish is coming from. I didn't mean to sound nasty at all.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:11 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Babynut didn't get sick until she was about ten months? Then she got a bad cold. I considered this a miracle because I work in a school and we live in a big city so she is definitely exposed to everything, and we didn't stay home. My policy is evolving, but I treated it like I do myself. I wouldn't go to work with a fever, but I would go with a cough and runny nose. So that's what we have been doing with her. Keeping her at home when she is miserable and allowing her to go out with mild cold symptoms. I certainly think its a good idea to warn people in advance when your kid has symptoms. I don't think it's realistic to stay home just because there is a little snot, but it's only polite to give others a heads up on the situation.

Today we got her second flu shot. My partner woke up vomiting and feeling like asparagus. She has been really snotty and went down before seven. I'm worried that I am next. I'm also pretty sure it's because she went to toddler playtime at the library on Friday, but I am pretty sure that working our way through this is more healthy than being homebound in the long run.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:52 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Minime has been sick a lot. My partner works in a huge office building so he gets sick then gives it to us and E also goes to daycare so he brings home illness all the time from there. I think (IMO) that there is a big difference between sending your kid to school sick or going out with them sick and bringing them to an intimate playdate sick without warning other parents. I never bring E to playdates sick unless he is almost over it and obviously not contagious anymore and even then I ask if it is ok first whether or not the person has kids. I do however send him to daycare sick unless he is miserable or has a fever. I also bring him out in regular public situations while sick (grocery store etc.) I have brought him to LLL meetings sick and just not let him leave my lap.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:11 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Carlos has had a stuffy nose basically every day since he started daycare. If it is not running, it is ready to come out when he sneezes. That is 5 months straight. When he got pneumonia and we kept him home, it stopped for a while. Then when he went back to daycare it was back. I have a different standard now than before because it is a very different situation. Carlos is not going to "get better" in a couple days and postpone his regular activities because of a cold because he *always* has a cold. I would be taken aback by someone not wanting their kid around Carlos because of his nose. That said, I was kind of traumatized when I first went to the daycare and saw all the gross noses. If I knew Carlos would just get better in a couple days then it would be a different situation, but that is not my choice now.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:55 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Aw, poor Carlos. :(

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:04 pm 
Semen Strong

Leela has had a bit of the cold that seems to be going around. She had a runny nose on Thursday and after treating it with eucalptus and sweet orange and Thieves Oil it cleared up for Friday. She has a bit of a cough, but really is fine (no fever) and a lot of it may be due to the fact that she has a large molar on top emerging (in July while she was teething with her top 4 incisors, she had a nonstop runny nose).

Most of the moms in my AP group said it wasn't a big deal and didn't want me to cancel playdates etc. At the same time, my husband's best friend was getting married and as his bride is immunocompromised, they disinvited us from their wedding.

So I think its just a reminder that you disclose if your kid is sick and you just have to be ok with whatever anyone decides.

And as we head into cold and flu and RSV season, I really can't blame anyone who wants to err on the side of caution. One of the moms in our AP group has a 5 month old who just came down with pertussis, of all things. Its all pretty scary.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:20 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Wait, you didn't go to the wedding after all? Oh my! It is funny how people react and choose differently. My partner's relatives are very cautious about any kind of cough or symptom, no matter how minor. They will cancel elaborate plans on the first sneeze.

When I was visiting my family last March, I got a stomach bug the night we arrived and was violently ill the entire night. As I tossed and turned and made my trips to the porcelain god, I was imagining my brother and his kids packing up and leaving first thing in the morning to get away from me. Dawn arrived and he just helped take care of babynut and left me alone. They stayed the weekend even though i was sick. You can't predict it! All you can do is be honest and upfront with people about what is going on.

My mom has RA, too, and I really hope we don't drag anything down to them again. I hope all the ppk babies are healthy this holiday season...we deserve a break from the snot and what not.