| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Family Holiday Food Traditions
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:55 pm 
Saggy Butt

Catalina wrote:
My family heritage is Norwegian so at Christmas we make big cookie platters to take to work/friends/businesses we like.
We also get together and make lots of lefse. We make vegan lefse first them switch to the regular one. It's my favorite thing about Christmas. Spread with lots of earth balance and sprinkled with some sugar, I want to make some right now.

Do you use one of those Bethany lefse boards? I've always wanted to try my hand at making it since I can't find store-bought vegan lefse outside of MN, but never wanted to spring for the board. Is it essential?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:35 pm 
WELFARIST!

I usually spend Christmas eve making cookies. My family (which consists of my sister and nephew--just the three of us) likes the ginger sparkles from VwaV, the alfajores from Viva Vegan and usually I make something with either chocolate or lemon (lemon bars from VCON or the chocolate mint cookies from one of Dreena's books or a brownie for variety). The ginger sparkles and the alfajores are absolute musts.

When I was a young'un, my mother was prized for her fruitcake, but I never liked fruitcake. So that was her thing. Sad her recipe got lost because it was supposed to be grand.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:18 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Quote:
My mum makes this dish for breakfast called "wife-saver" that should probably challenge my feminism, but it's my mum and she likes it. And it is quite disgusting, as it contains ham, rice crispies, eggs, cheese, and more. Adorably (but unfortunately), she makes a vegan version for me with Daiya and egg replacer, and I choke it down appreciatively.

We have this too! I did a vegan version once, but it was with tofu and spinach and it wasn't bad at all. Last year the vegans had mochi waffles, which is infinitely better than a Wife Saver.

Along with the Wife Saver, we always have cinnamon buns and fruit salad. This is at my aunt's house. We then eat constantly throughout the day and mosey over to my Grandma's to have Christmas dinner, which I'm already too full for. It's the usual (turkey, white and sweet potatoes, etc...). There is a rule that everyone must eat one brussels sprout. Most people hate them and it's become a kind of tradition to hide them off our plates. One time my mom went to cut a dinner roll in half to toast it a few days after Christmas and found a brussels sprout shoved in it!

I'm excited because my cousins from the states are coming this year which means that there will be two vegans and three vegetarians (plus two others than avoid dairy) at the table!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:46 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

almiratanner wrote:
Quote:
My mum makes this dish for breakfast called "wife-saver" that should probably challenge my feminism, but it's my mum and she likes it. And it is quite disgusting, as it contains ham, rice crispies, eggs, cheese, and more. Adorably (but unfortunately), she makes a vegan version for me with Daiya and egg replacer, and I choke it down appreciatively.

We have this too! I did a vegan version once, but it was with tofu and spinach and it wasn't bad at all. Last year the vegans had mochi waffles, which is infinitely better than a Wife Saver.

Along with the Wife Saver, we always have cinnamon buns and fruit salad. This is at my aunt's house. We then eat constantly throughout the day and mosey over to my Grandma's to have Christmas dinner, which I'm already too full for. It's the usual (turkey, white and sweet potatoes, etc...). There is a rule that everyone must eat one brussels sprout. Most people hate them and it's become a kind of tradition to hide them off our plates. One time my mom went to cut a dinner roll in half to toast it a few days after Christmas and found a brussels sprout shoved in it!

I'm excited because my cousins from the states are coming this year which means that there will be two vegans and three vegetarians (plus two others than avoid dairy) at the table!

That's hilarious! I totally thought it was just my mum's weird thing.

I want to eat all of your family's Brussels sprouts.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:14 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

oh man, food traditions!
I have a few separate ones, used to spend winter holidays all over the place.

-when I was at my dad's mom's house for chanukka there were latkes about half the time, but the only real tradition was the jelly doughnuts she would get from the bakery down the street every day.

-my mother's parents celebrate christmas, and the best food tradition was coffee, really. my aunt, myself, and my grandma are the only people in the family who drink coffee so my aunt would make campfire coffee and we'd just drink it all day while my cousins were running around with new toys and yelling and fighting, and my mother and grandfather were fighting about crossword puzzles. it was one of the things they used to let me do to have a safe space/excuse hang out with the adults, as for a good period of my youth my cousins made me really nervous. still do the same nowadays, 'cept it's just my aunt and I who drink coffee now.

-on years when my mother and I were on our own (most often for my teens), we would often go over to my friend's grandmother's place for "christmas dinner", there was usually turkey (which I couldn't eat, obvs). then after we would go home and eat leftover chinese food (always obtained the night before) because neither of us would be able to eat much at the actual dinner.
we had hot chocolate for breakfast, which I would make with cinnamon and my mother would say was too spicy.

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:36 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Ugh - rabbit pie (pate au lieve) and mincemeat pie (made with meat, usually deer). After midnight mass. I don't like regular double crust pies and meat pie is the worst, not just because of the meat but because the "pastry" is a thick heavy dough. Blech.

You may have figured out I have not veganized those.

In the 1970's my mom bought a Better Homes and Gardens Cookie Cookbook which I still have because it has some good recipes in it. One of them is Santa's Whiskers, a basic refrigerated roll and cut shortbread cookie that has chopped glace cherries added to it and shredded coconut on the edges. We have to have these http://www.food.com/recipe/santas-whiskers-41800

I used to make fruitcake but rum cake is my tradition now http://tinyurl.com/bo6yjgg. I only make it once a year so I am not sure but think I used some flax seed and some egg replacer for the two eggs. So buttery and rummy.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:35 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

mandycoot wrote:
Catalina wrote:
My family heritage is Norwegian so at Christmas we make big cookie platters to take to work/friends/businesses we like.
We also get together and make lots of lefse. We make vegan lefse first them switch to the regular one. It's my favorite thing about Christmas. Spread with lots of earth balance and sprinkled with some sugar, I want to make some right now.

Do you use one of those Bethany lefse boards? I've always wanted to try my hand at making it since I can't find store-bought vegan lefse outside of MN, but never wanted to spring for the board. Is it essential?

My mom has one that we use when we make lefse together but I've made it on my own before and improvised with a cutting board wrapped in a pillow case. It worked out just fine. Someday I want my own setup with a big lefse griddle and rolling board but for now I'm fine with making do with a pillowcase.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:30 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Arisaig wrote:
In the 1970's my mom bought a Better Homes and Gardens Cookie Cookbook which I still have because it has some good recipes in it.

Is it The Better Homes and Gardens Homemade Cookie Cook Book (1975)?

When I was a young girl, I made brownies from that book for a boy I liked. His father said that he shouldn't let me get away, but he did (and from what he's told me, he has regretted it ever since). We are still friends, though, going on 32 years.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:46 am 
Bathes in Braggs

That's it, vgnwitch! Those are some powerful brownies. I just went to look in the book and there is a whole chapter on brownies, at least 20 recipes. There is also a section on how to prepare and store cookies for gifting.

I use the rum ball recipe on occasion, this time of year.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:11 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I really want to veganize my mum's cheese ball. It used to be my favourite thing. I tried one from 500 Vegan Recipes but it was all wrong (in comparison, but it was fine to eat). My mum's had really sharp cheddar, garlic, parsley, beer, I think minced onion? I just can't figure out how to get the right texture and sharpness from a veganized version.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:25 am 
Flounceiad 2011

vijita wrote:
I really want to veganize my mum's cheese ball. It used to be my favourite thing. I tried one from 500 Vegan Recipes but it was all wrong (in comparison, but it was fine to eat). My mum's had really sharp cheddar, garlic, parsley, beer, I think minced onion? I just can't figure out how to get the right texture and sharpness from a veganized version.
We used to have those when I was a kid, too, and I loved them! I think the one my mom made started with sharp cheddar and probably some cream cheese, and it had walnuts in it...beyond that I can't really remember. Now I want a cheese ball!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com