| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Share your sauces
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:19 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

A place to share your crazy sauce creations. Exact measurements and such are totally optional.

My recent favorite: I smoked some halved roma tomatoes, onions, and garlic cloves and then threw the whole lot into the food processor with some balsamic and salt, then reduced the puree over low heat. It was pretty special.

Post subject: Re: Share your sauces
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:33 pm 
Mediocre Tart

I'll share my sauce alright

nvm.

oh come on

HP with extra vinegar is nice. Embra style.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:42 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Hmm,not really a sauce, and also not my recipe (I think it's Susan Powter? lol!) but a delicious double cucumber salsa topping thing: About a cup od raw tomatoes, chopped small, about 3/4 cup red onion, diced small, as much dill pickle as you like (1/2 cup?), chopped small, and at least a couple of cups of cut up cucumber. Can add some fresh parsley to the servings, if you like. I don't know why, maybe because everything marinates in the dill pickle flavors, but this is pretty yummy! It keeps for quite a few days in a tupperware in the fridge, too. Yum!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:33 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

most of mine are pretty lazy, as i usually don't want to spend more than 20 mins on cooking dinner.

lately i've made these a lot:

-red pesto/sundried tomato puree + a splash of soy cream + garlic + balsamic vinegar - mix with cooked pasta, heat, taste with salt and pepper.
-sauté a bunch of mushrooms, add broth, add soy cream, add garlic, taste. eat with pasta.
-lazy dhal: red lentils + marsala spice mix + broth + frozen spinach + coconut milk. let simmer for about 30 mins and eat with rice.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:23 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

1strangegirlbygolly! wrote:
Hmm,not really a sauce, and also not my recipe (I think it's Susan Powter? lol!) but a delicious double cucumber salsa topping thing: About a cup od raw tomatoes, chopped small, about 3/4 cup red onion, diced small, as much dill pickle as you like (1/2 cup?), chopped small, and at least a couple of cups of cut up cucumber. Can add some fresh parsley to the servings, if you like. I don't know why, maybe because everything marinates in the dill pickle flavors, but this is pretty yummy! It keeps for quite a few days in a tupperware in the fridge, too. Yum!

The insanity! Make it stop!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:29 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I'm super lazy and do a tahini+water+lemon+garlic sauce to go on like half of the food I make. There is a peanut sauce recipe-ish that I like that's basically equal amounts water and peanut butter, plus a little bit of soy sauce, rice vinegar, sugar and grated ginger if you're feeling fancy.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:40 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I have one that I love. I chop up a shitton of garlic and slowly sauté it in olive oil. I add a bunch of sun-dried tomatoes (also minced) and chopped artichoke hearts. I stir that around usually with thyme, oregano, basil and crushed red pepper. Once it's all fragrant I put a little veggie broth in and bring it to a simmer. I stir in a bunch of nooch so it becomes thicker. I cook it until it's to the thickness I want and then I add a bit of lemon juice to punch it up along with arugula that wilts down. Variations on this include a more tomatoey version where I stir in paste or frito. I've also been known to toss in some bread crumbs to thicken it up, add extra veggies like zucchini and sautéed mushrooms, and even a bit of margarine for richness.

It's a salty, lemony sauce that's awesome over pasta. The nooch makes it nice and creamy. I've even added splashes of soy cream and balsamic to get the balance of acid and richness I want.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:20 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

This is one I came up with when I was sauteeing an onion and realized that I was missing most of the other ingredients for the recipe I had intended to make. I was really proud of myself because normally I can't boil water without explicit written directions.

Saute one onion, add one can diced tomatoes, one can chickpeas, a can of water, lots of garlic powder and whatever herbs I have on hand (mostly basil and thyme). Simmer 20 min, serve with pasta (or actually after 20 min I throw in the pasta and let it all cook together, because I am lazy).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:32 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I make that peanut sauce, too: peanut butter, water, soya sauce or salt if using unsalted peanut butter. I mostly use it as a dip for steamed broccoli.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:34 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Chickpea sauce: Blend or mash chickpeas with water. Heat oil, add chickpeas, turmeric, cumin, chili powder and soya sauce, cook stirring until thick enough. Eat with any cooked grain / pseudo-grain or with veggies.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:24 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

interrobang?! wrote:
I'll share my sauce alright

nvm.

oh come on

HP with extra vinegar is nice. Embra style.

I'll keep an eye on this thread by commenting.

I have such an interrobang boner right now. You're welcome.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:33 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

This is the happy result of lots of tinkering, and (if I say so myself) it kicks all kinds of asparagus - green and figurative alike!

Saffron Hollandaise
Ingredients
~ 3/4 cup raw cashews
~ 2 cups plain, unsweetened soy (or other non-dairy) milk
~ 1/4 tsp. saffron threads
~ 2 tbsp. nutritional yeast
~ 1/2 tsp. each: salt, turmeric, dry mustard
~ A few grinds of black pepper
~ 1 tbsp. Earth Balance or other vegan margarine
~ 1 tsp. tarragon
~ 1 tbsp. garlic, minced
~ 2 tbsp. flour
~ Juice of 1 lemon

Directions
~ Heat the soy milk almost to boiling, add the cashews and the saffron threads, and allow to soak for at least 30 minutes.
~ In a food processor, combine the milk/cashew mixture, the nutritional yeast, salt, turmeric, mustard and pepper. Blend thoroughly until smooth.
~ In a saucepan, melt the margarine over low heat, then add the garlic and tarragon. Saute briefly before adding the flour to make a roux.
~ Raise the heat to medium, then begin gradually adding the blended milk/cashew mixture, stirring continually.
~ Cook about 5-7 minutes, continuing to stir, until heated through and thickened; if the sauce gets too thick, add a little water to thin it out to the consistency you like.
~ Remove from heat, stir in the lemon juice, and serve hot.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:34 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

that looks great, desdemona!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:35 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I want to go to Desdemona's house for dinner. I'll even eat kale!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:55 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I love this thread. I am weird with my baked potatoes, which we eat about once a week. I NEED SAUCE on them. I get so bored with EB and sour cream.

This is a fast pasta sauce I make sometimes. Toss it with spaghetti, steamed broccoli, carrots and dry-fried tofu. About 3 big servings.

Small amount of sesame oil. Add couple of cloves of minced garlic + grated ginger. Cook for a minute. Add 2-3 Tbsp of peanut butter, stir until it is warm. Add about 2 Tbsp Tamari, 1 tbs rice vinegar, 1-2 teaspoons of Chilli-Garlic sauce, and another 3 Tbsp of warm water. Stir and cook until it thickens into a sauce and toss with pasta.

It's really easy to mess around with the amounts to get more or less sauce. Its pretty yum.

I usually have all those ingredients at my house, so that is an easy (and high protein) pasta dish I can make in like 20 minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:59 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Chicki: my two favorite ways to eat baked potatoes are veg baked beans plus canned collards or the blog sunflower Mac cheeze sauce plus Lima beans. The cheesy sauce is my favorite.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:26 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

lavawitch wrote:
Chicki: my two favorite ways to eat baked potatoes are veg baked beans plus canned collards or the blog sunflower Mac cheeze sauce plus Lima beans. The cheesy sauce is my favorite.

I have to try that sunflower cheeze sauce. Everyone raves about it. The butternut alfredo (also on the blog) is SO AWESOME on potatoes.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:01 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I wanted a lower fat/calories easy cheesy sauce. My goal was a sauce that was creamy and versatile, while not containing any EB, oil, milks or wheat. This is what I came up with and I've been using it for everything: potatoes, pasta, veggies, rice, grilled cheese, etc. and I add salsa for a tasty queso.

2 cups water
1 cup rolled oats
Generous 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 Tbsp miso
1/2 Tbsp chili powder
1/2 Tbsp onion powder
1/2 Tbsp paprika
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp sea salt

Toss everything into a blender and blend until it's very, very smooth.
Simmer over medium heat, stirring CONSTANTLY, until it thickens to desired consistency (about 10-12 minutes). Don't let it come to a boil.

I don't have a Vitamix, and in my blender it takes about 8 minutes to get it smooth. I got impatient during my first batch and decided, "oh, it's smooth enough". It wasn't and gritty cheese sauce is gross. I cook it fairly thick, so that it's spreadable. If I want it thinned (for example, if I'm going to bake my mac a cheese) I just add water and it combines easily.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:49 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

From a recipe that's long disappeared off the internets:

Sauté garlic, onion and ginger. Add 1/4 cup each of peanut butter, chili garlic sauce or other hot sauce and soy sauce. Let the pb melt until you have a liquid brown mess. Stir in a can of coconut milk. Add mushrooms, carrots, random assorted veg on the brink of going bad in your fridge, dry fried tofu. Serve over rice or noodles!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:20 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I made something that was reminiscent of pesto yesterday, which was pretty decent for the minimal effort that went into it.

Halfway through cooking pasta spirals I put some curly kale (couple of handfuls) in the pot

In the Vitamix went about a third of a cup walnut pieces
a clove of garlic
2 tomatoes
Olives (maybe 10, mix of kalamata and green ones from an 'Ionian Salad')
And the kale when it was tender, and enough water to enable it to whizz freely

Drained the pasta, blended up the stuff, added it back to the pasta and back on the heat to take the edge off the garlic. I also had some gherkins lying around so I added a handful of those too.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:52 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Esme's sauce! I can't get enough of that stuff. I forgot about it then remembered it and now I'm happy.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:43 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

This is my stir fry sauce that I stole and modified from the HealthyBitchDaily website.

2-4 tbsp cashew butter
4 tbsp tamari
4 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp dried ginger powder

It's so freaking tasty, I don't think I will ever use another stir fry sauce.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:54 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

GraciaKai wrote:
This is my stir fry sauce that I stole and modified from the HealthyBitchDaily website.

2-4 tbsp cashew butter
4 tbsp tamari
4 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp garlic powder

That sounds amazing! I love that it's pantry-friendly too. I always have all of those things! Going to try it soon.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:37 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

bodhi wrote:
GraciaKai wrote:

2-4 tbsp cashew butter
4 tbsp tamari
4 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp garlic powder

That sounds amazing! I love that it's pantry-friendly too. I always have all of those things! Going to try it soon.

Blend! I forgot to say you add it all in a blender. Also I dont heat it with my food or anything. Just pour it over rice, tofu, broccoli, baby corn, and snow peas that were pan steamed in some veg broth. Rice cooked by itself!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:22 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Oh, and the Easy Breezy Cheesy Sauce from AFR with extra nooch and a generous tsp. each of Marmite and Coleman's mustard stirred in: heaven on everything!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com