| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 806 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 33  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: I'm looking for a job.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:54 am 
Offline
Saggy Butt
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:11 am
Posts: 302
Location: Ch-ch-ch-ch-Chico, CA
This thread is for anyone currently looking for work. Maybe some other ppk'ers could hook us up. I have experience in admin, banking, and working with a variety of animals.
Admin: running an office independently and all the usual office stuff (faxes, filing, mail, phone calls, contractors, etc.)
Banking: some teller experience, but mostly working in the 'behind the scenes' stuff; processing ACH, debit and credit card transactions, checks, NSF items, etc.
Animals: I've worked at a farm animal sanctuary and a cat and dog shelter. Ideally, I'd work for a no-kill animal shelter, a farm animal sanctuary that's ran efficiently and the people are all nice and take care of each other, or with ELEPHANTS. I know the elephant sanctuary in TN is hiring, but there is one qualification I don't have. I'd also work behind the scenes for animals in the office capacity. Stuff like that.

So if anyone knows anyone that knows someone that has jobs like this, please let me know!

Now, your turn!

_________________
Sentients Radio - Find Sentients in iTunes, too!
I like cats and elephants.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I'm looking for a job.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:10 am 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:05 pm
Posts: 1944
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
i'd totally apply for the elephant sanctuary, even if you lack a qualification! what's the worst that can happen?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I'm looking for a job.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:12 am 
Offline
Saggy Butt
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:11 am
Posts: 302
Location: Ch-ch-ch-ch-Chico, CA
P.S. For any of those following the Portland saga in the worst thing about your day thread, I just emailed my landlord to see if there is anything we can do just in case they want to hire me. I'll share his answer once I get one.

Also, I forgot to mention that I am in radio! I can do lots of stuff; hosting, editing, etc.

_________________
Sentients Radio - Find Sentients in iTunes, too!
I like cats and elephants.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I'm looking for a job.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:16 am 
Offline
Saggy Butt
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:11 am
Posts: 302
Location: Ch-ch-ch-ch-Chico, CA
smoothie wrote:
i'd totally apply for the elephant sanctuary, even if you lack a qualification! what's the worst that can happen?

I applied with them before, got two interviews, then never heard back. I was thinking of applying again ...

_________________
Sentients Radio - Find Sentients in iTunes, too!
I like cats and elephants.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I'm looking for a job.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:22 am 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:47 pm
Posts: 1868
Location: NC
I'm not looking right now, but will be in a few months. I will have a MA in I-O Psychology, which covers a ton of territory, from general human resources all the way to more specialized functions like staffing, performance management, the list goes on.

I would like to work at an organization, profit or non, that is genuinely trying to do some good in the world. I need to stick around the US but can't move anywhere crazy expensive until I get my student loans paid off.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I'm looking for a job.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:25 am 
Offline
Saggy Butt
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:11 am
Posts: 302
Location: Ch-ch-ch-ch-Chico, CA
walrus wrote:
smoothie wrote:
i'd totally apply for the elephant sanctuary, even if you lack a qualification! what's the worst that can happen?

I applied with them before, got two interviews, then never heard back. I was thinking of applying again ...

Ah. Here's what I don't have:

Quote:
Bachelors Degree in related field
One year of paid or volunteer experience working with exotic or native wildlife

_________________
Sentients Radio - Find Sentients in iTunes, too!
I like cats and elephants.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I'm looking for a job.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:09 am 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:05 pm
Posts: 1944
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
APPLY! seriously. First of all, they already interviewed you, alas you are not completely off. Second of all, applying several times = showing an immense interest in the field, which proves that you will be a compassionate worker who love their job. Third of all, I read this really interesting survey that said that one of the reasons that men get better jobs is because they apply for things they don't have all of the qualifications for. (this was a danish survey, and of course that's not the only reason, and all that, but it sorta makes some sense).

When a company puts up a job, they ask for what they think will be the perfect employee. Your job is to show them that they totally misunderstood what they want; in reality YOU ARE THE PERFECT EMPLOYEE.

right?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I'm looking for a job.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:16 am 
Offline
Saggy Butt
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:11 am
Posts: 302
Location: Ch-ch-ch-ch-Chico, CA
I just applied! OMG can't breathe, etc. etc.

_________________
Sentients Radio - Find Sentients in iTunes, too!
I like cats and elephants.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I'm looking for a job.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:20 am 
Online
Impressive boner
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:57 pm
Posts: 3984
Location: Nottingham.
I'd love a new job. I've been looking in my local area but I don't want just any job, I need something that is a mutual fit. My current job is one I took to get me out of another one I was unhappy with and now I'm unhappy with this one.

I'm a great pragmatist. I solve problems, I'm an organizer, researcher and detective. I'm good at hooking people up with other people or services they need. If some information or a service can be found, I'll find it. Maybe I could set up my own detective agency. Oohhh, detective... now there's an idea!


Last edited by 8ball on Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I'm looking for a job.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:21 am 
Offline
Saggy Butt
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:11 am
Posts: 302
Location: Ch-ch-ch-ch-Chico, CA
bekki wrote:
I would like to work at an organization, profit or non, that is genuinely trying to do some good in the world. I need to stick around the US but can't move anywhere crazy expensive until I get my student loans paid off.

Do you have any organizations in mind?

_________________
Sentients Radio - Find Sentients in iTunes, too!
I like cats and elephants.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I'm looking for a job.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:29 am 
Offline
Saggy Butt
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:11 am
Posts: 302
Location: Ch-ch-ch-ch-Chico, CA
I just realized that I started a thread awhile back about applying for this job before. http://forum.theppk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9794&hilit=epicness

Perhaps a mod might want to combine the two threads, if multiple threads are annoying. Sorry about that.

_________________
Sentients Radio - Find Sentients in iTunes, too!
I like cats and elephants.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I'm looking for a job.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:17 pm 
Offline
Drinks Wild Tofurkey
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:51 am
Posts: 2770
smoothie wrote:
APPLY! seriously. First of all, they already interviewed you, alas you are not completely off. Second of all, applying several times = showing an immense interest in the field, which proves that you will be a compassionate worker who love their job. Third of all, I read this really interesting survey that said that one of the reasons that men get better jobs is because they apply for things they don't have all of the qualifications for. (this was a danish survey, and of course that's not the only reason, and all that, but it sorta makes some sense).

When a company puts up a job, they ask for what they think will be the perfect employee. Your job is to show them that they totally misunderstood what they want; in reality YOU ARE THE PERFECT EMPLOYEE.

right?

I agree so hard! My husband doesn't have a degree, he had to drop out of college to help his family. He is always applying for jobs that he doesn't have all the qualifications for and he is on the road to being an IT Director before 30. So, yeah, apply!

I am very, very casually looking for work. I applied for a job with the community alliance with family farmers, the position helps family farmers get their produce into local schools. I meet about 95% of their qualifications. The only problems are that it is an hour commute, at least and full time. I am not sure I want to work full time and I would only truly take it if we could move closer. Eh, we will see.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I'm looking for a job.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:02 pm 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:05 pm
Posts: 1944
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
walrus wrote:
I just applied! OMG can't breathe, etc. etc.


YAY.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I'm looking for a job.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:27 am 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:47 pm
Posts: 1868
Location: NC
walrus wrote:
bekki wrote:
I would like to work at an organization, profit or non, that is genuinely trying to do some good in the world. I need to stick around the US but can't move anywhere crazy expensive until I get my student loans paid off.

Do you have any organizations in mind?


Not right now. But mainly because I'm trying to focus on surviving this week.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I'm looking for a job.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:31 am 
Offline
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:43 pm
Posts: 10423
Location: Astoria, NY by way of San Diego, CA
I'm looking for work, too! as a registered dietitian. I'm mostly looking at nursing homes right now. there's not much being posted right now, but I'm thinking this probably due to the fact that right before the new year when budgets are running out is probably not the best time to be looking. I'd basically do any nutrition related job that isn't at a hospital, or at least isn't at a large hospital. I'd work at a small hospital, but hospitals are at the bottom of my list of places i'd work.

_________________
I am not a troll. I am TELLING YOU THE ******GOD'S TRUTH****** AND YOU JUST DON'T WANT THE HEAR IT DO YOU?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I'm looking for a job.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:41 am 
Offline
Drinks Wild Tofurkey
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:51 am
Posts: 2770
ijustdiedinside wrote:
I'm looking for work, too! as a registered dietitian. I'm mostly looking at nursing homes right now. there's not much being posted right now, but I'm thinking this probably due to the fact that right before the new year when budgets are running out is probably not the best time to be looking. I'd basically do any nutrition related job that isn't at a hospital, or at least isn't at a large hospital. I'd work at a small hospital, but hospitals are at the bottom of my list of places i'd work.

If you are willing to move to California it seems like I often see listings for RDs at schools and lots of other organizations. Lots of farm to school programs going on around here. Of course, many of the jobs are at non profits and living in the Bay Area can be hard on a non profit salary unless you are pretty debt free.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I'm looking for a job.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:43 am 
Offline
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:43 pm
Posts: 10423
Location: Astoria, NY by way of San Diego, CA
I'd actually love to move back to California. I also love the Bay Area, but I've sorta taken it off my list because I know how crazy rent there is right now. And yeah, I just graduated from Columbia, so I am FAR from debt free.
Where do you usually see these job listings? I've been searching California a bit.

_________________
I am not a troll. I am TELLING YOU THE ******GOD'S TRUTH****** AND YOU JUST DON'T WANT THE HEAR IT DO YOU?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I'm looking for a job.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:02 am 
Offline
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:43 pm
Posts: 10423
Location: Astoria, NY by way of San Diego, CA
PS, littlebear thanks so much for mentioning schools because I just found a job posting working on implementing farm to school stuff that I wouldn't have looked for otherwise. totally applying today!

_________________
I am not a troll. I am TELLING YOU THE ******GOD'S TRUTH****** AND YOU JUST DON'T WANT THE HEAR IT DO YOU?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I'm looking for a job.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:34 am 
Offline
Saggy Butt
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:11 am
Posts: 302
Location: Ch-ch-ch-ch-Chico, CA
My landlord said he'd be willing to work with me!

_________________
Sentients Radio - Find Sentients in iTunes, too!
I like cats and elephants.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I'm looking for a job.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:28 pm 
Offline
Banned from Vegan Freaks.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:15 pm
Posts: 370
Location: San Diego
What a perfect thread!

I'm looking for work, even on a volunteer basis. I just passed the CA Bar Exam(!), though I still have to take the MPRE before I'm licensed. My primary interest is in adult entertainment law. 1st Amendment stuff, anti-piracy, that sort of thing.

Eventually, I'd like to start a non-profit that provides entrance, mid, and exit counseling to porn performers and sex workers. Drug problems, financial/career planning, etc. But that's pie in the sky, way down the road type stuff.

I also model, under the pseudonym Dusty Williams. I've got a solo up on Dirty Tony, and filming for another company tomorrow. :-) Dirty Tony is not even remotely safe for work, of course.

_________________
"this thread needs some Robyn" - smoothie


Last edited by Squeak on Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I'm looking for a job.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:33 pm 
Offline
Plays The Sims 2 religiously
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:20 pm
Posts: 7121
Location: Portland, OR
Squeak wrote:
I also model, under the pseudonym Dusty Williams. I've got a solo up on Dirty Tony, and filming for another company tomorrow. :-)

Eep! *blushes*

_________________
i would schmear marmite on a moist scrotum for Mars. - interrobang?!
"Not everything." ~ mumbles (1973-2013) - mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I'm looking for a job.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:44 pm 
Offline
Plays The Sims 2 religiously
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:20 pm
Posts: 7121
Location: Portland, OR
Okay I am also looking for work!

-I would like this work to be in Portland! So it feels odd saying about this here but oh well, maybe if you don't live here you have suggestions of other manners

-I kind of want to get into food service, with the end goal of bartending. I know I'd probably be doing something not as fun to start but oh well. Here's the thing, I have no food service experience. Well okay, lies, I worked at Starbucks for a year. But never in something relevant.

-Should I start memorizing drink recipes?

-How would I even go about applying for something like this?

_________________
i would schmear marmite on a moist scrotum for Mars. - interrobang?!
"Not everything." ~ mumbles (1973-2013) - mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I'm looking for a job.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:20 am 
Offline
Addicted to B12 Enemas
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:59 am
Posts: 265
Location: San Francisco
I'm looking for work too!

I'm graduating in 2 weeks with a B.S. in Biology and I really wanna do research. I applied for a few research positions but I haven't heard back yet. I did have an interview today though with a food testing company. It's not the kind of work I want to do at all, so I'm not sure if I should take it if they offer me the job. It will probably pay better than a typical research position as well..........

I really need a job, but I've only been looking for a few weeks so I'm not desperate yet. Also, some of my current research is going to be published soon so that should make my resume a lot more impressive. SOoooo I don't know what to do! Do I take a job that I'm not passionate about just because I might not find one I really love?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I'm looking for a job.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:27 am 
Offline
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:50 pm
Posts: 3062
Location: The Bene
I'm going to be looking for a job soon. I'm more than likely moving down to Belgium in the next half year, which means I'll be leaving the bookstore job that I've been working for (good Lard) fifteen years. I never meant to stay there so long, but it's the kind of place that gets comfy and sucks people in. (You'd be amazed at how many people have been there longer than I have.)

I've got a Masters in Archaeology (completed in 2009) but haven't really pursued anything in the field. Now I'm hoping I might be able to put it to use, but I'm a little worried that the time that has passed between finishing my degree and looking for work is going to be a strike against me. I find it intimidating to approach anyone about a job in archaeology with this in mind (despite having graduated with honors and doing research I'm really proud of).

I have to find work, so I'll probably be applying for all sorts of non-archaeology related stuff. Stuff that I'm confident in my experience with: bookstore work, customer service, teaching EFL (which I hated), editing, etc. But I don't want to get stuck in the rut of staying at a meant-to-be-temporary job, while my degree rots in a drawer for the next however many years. I'm 45 for dog's sake! Time to grab the bull by the horns.

_________________
Ain't no guarantees in life, and nothing that comes out of my vagina can change that. - Erika Soyf*cker

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I'm looking for a job.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:52 am 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:05 pm
Posts: 1944
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
lepelaar wrote:
I'm going to be looking for a job soon. I'm more than likely moving down to Belgium in the next half year, which means I'll be leaving the bookstore job that I've been working for (good Lard) fifteen years. I never meant to stay there so long, but it's the kind of place that gets comfy and sucks people in. (You'd be amazed at how many people have been there longer than I have.)

I've got a Masters in Archaeology (completed in 2009) but haven't really pursued anything in the field. Now I'm hoping I might be able to put it to use, but I'm a little worried that the time that has passed between finishing my degree and looking for work is going to be a strike against me. I find it intimidating to approach anyone about a job in archaeology with this in mind (despite having graduated with honors and doing research I'm really proud of).

I have to find work, so I'll probably be applying for all sorts of non-archaeology related stuff. Stuff that I'm confident in my experience with: bookstore work, customer service, teaching EFL (which I hated), editing, etc. But I don't want to get stuck in the rut of staying at a meant-to-be-temporary job, while my degree rots in a drawer for the next however many years. I'm 45 for dog's sake! Time to grab the bull by the horns.



I totally understand that it's scary to apply within archaeology, but if you let more time pass you might never get the chance to work within the field. you need to grab the bull by its horns, you know? if it makes you happy, why not apply to a bunch of jobs and see what happens? you can always apply at bookstores etc. as well, but you shouldn't give up on archaeology! also, don't let it intimidate you. you graduated with honors! you did awesome research! now you're ready to take the archaeologyworld with storm!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 806 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 33  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: kaerlighed, linanil, Nebraskalaska, Vantine, zinnia and 13 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer