| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46046 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1179, 1180, 1181, 1182, 1183, 1184, 1185 ... 1842  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:57 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

kfad wrote:
I am going to a Robotics competition with my youngest. I am looking forward to the competition part. But... it is all day and at a place with no food nearby. I am packing some.

Also, not looking forward to dealing with other parents.

Is this FIRST Robotics? My brother was the captain of his team in high school, but I never made it to a competition. Good luck to your kiddo's team.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:04 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Oh effing heck! My friend moved into her house 2 weeks ago and sent me a message the other day to call up today and to bring the dog. So of course I did. The dog kept sneaking off and anytime I called her back my friend said leave her off she is fine. She changed her mind when a smell of poo wafted into us. The dog had done a big, stinking turd in the middle of the living room. I was mortified. Luckily the friend was fine because her dog has been pooing all over the place since she's moved in.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:16 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

There are not enough bad words to cover my feelings for the guy who has been my partner for a term project in one of my classes. He continues to make me hate him more each day, and once this project is complete on Thursday, I will never speak with him again.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:31 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

It's 2:30 and I'm not tired. I usually try to just sleep all weekend to get it over with. Now what do I do? Having to be awake is kind of miserable.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:39 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Amajorrecords wrote:
missdelaney wrote:
Today, I found mold behind my bed. A ton of mold. Eurgh. I cleaned it up, but this house is scaring me. Doors that don't close, mold, tons of dust...time to move. Already finding plenty of places, but all are reliant on other people moving with my roommate and me.

We found mold today too. Good times in rainy old puget sound!

hah. Commiseration. It's even worse because there's a freaking tree right at the corner of my house where my bedroom is.
Seriously, though, I love living here. But it's rained a lot this winter.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:44 pm 
Impressive boner

We have a moldy house too, with black mold growing in various places. I stalk the rooms with a spray bottle of white vinegar.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:48 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I have mold growing too. I really need to buy a dehumidifier.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:13 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

linanil wrote:
Mars wrote:
Gulliver wrote:
Good thing: Epic Christmas Feast was better than I could have hoped for.

Bad thing: I was really, really sick. My alcohol tolerance is shockingly low for a man of 6'1". Like, I probably had about five glasses of wine? That's not much, everyone else had more, I wasn't, like blotto, but bleueueueueuergh all the same.

Five glasses is a lot! You sure everyone had more?! I consider myself fairly averge tolerance, definitely not low like many people I know... And five glasses.... I would probably be barfing. (Though to be honest red wine kind of affects me more than other alcohols.)

Yeah 5 glasses seems like a lot to me and I used to have a fairly high alcohol tolerance.

Now though, a few sips of wine and I'm tipsy. I wouldn't even be able to drink 1 glass.

5 glasses of wine is a standard work night out in the UK. For my office Xmas do, we provide about 1/2 bottle per person at the in-office bit, and another 1/2 bottle per person at dinner. And we're starting at 1pm. We usually go to a pub afterwards, but if everyone drinks their share, (according to Google) that's 6 glasses each by about 7pm. Of course, there are a few people who don't drink (or just don't drink wine), so there will be a few people who have way more than that before we finish dinner.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:20 pm 
WRETCHED

rachell37 wrote:
5 glasses of wine is a standard work night out in the UK. For my office Xmas do, we provide about 1/2 bottle per person at the in-office bit, and another 1/2 bottle per person at dinner. And we're starting at 1pm. We usually go to a pub afterwards, but if everyone drinks their share, (according to Google) that's 6 glasses each by about 7pm. Of course, there are a few people who don't drink (or just don't drink wine), so there will be a few people who have way more than that before we finish dinner.

I haven't worked in an office setting for any other company in the US so I'm not sure what other companies are like. There is no alcohol allowed within our offices and if someone wants alcohol at any external setting, they have to pay for it themselves.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:56 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

linanil wrote:
rachell37 wrote:

I haven't worked in an office setting for any other company in the US so I'm not sure what other companies are like. There is no alcohol allowed within our offices and if someone wants alcohol at any external setting, they have to pay for it themselves.

Drinking is such the done thing here that our CEO is teetotal (his dad was an alcoholic) and no one would even dream of not having booze for the holiday party. In fact, I think people expect it - they would be annoyed if it wasn't provided (at least a bit). In fairness, everyone has to pay £15 towards the cost of the day, so it's kinda like they're paying for their drinks, but it's all pre-ordered.

In case anyone was wondering if Manischewitz potato pancake mix can be made vegan by using egg replacer, the answer is, yes it can. Also, now my eyes sting (from the frying).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:02 pm 
Impressive boner

Watching Ghost Ship and marveling at how young Desmond Harrington looks.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:09 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I bought my sister a big pack of diapers (she actually did ask for them) and then a $30 Amazon gift card, then sent her a text to expect her gift on Tuesday. She sent me a text saying she got the t-shirt from our parents' house and wondered if she should expect more. I completely forgot about the t-shirt. So I was accidentally over-generous for her Xmas present. Though to be fair, I didn't really buy anything for my nephew (he's 3 months old, he doesn't know what anything is) and I addressed the gift card to her and her husband.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:12 pm 

I bought three boxes of Candy Cane Joe Joe's today. No shame!

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:38 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

linanil wrote:
rachell37 wrote:

my department heads provided wine for office parties, and plenty of it; they went to trader joe's and bought it by the case. it was another good reason to avoid those parties. it's really uncomfortable talking to your manager on monday if on friday you saw her fall out of her chair after moaning for 45 minutes about her failed career as a ballerina.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:40 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

My mum phoned to ask how I felt about going to my cousin's house for Christmas dinner. I'd really been looking forward to a quiet, veg*n dinner with my mum and dad at their house, and if we go to my cousin's it will be her, her husband, their three sons, my aunt and her husband plus my parents and me, there'll be loads of stinky meat and we'll have to bring something veg which will jostle for space in the oven along with turkey and ham etc., it'll be noisy and I'd feel bad about presents (because I'd either have to buy presents for them all, or feel bad about not having got them decent presents, whereas if I don't see them I just send something like wine and chocolates for them to share. I'm pretty broke since going part time in October).

So I told my mum I didn't fancy it. I said if they wanted to go they could and I'd just see them some other day. Which makes me feel like I sound like I'm emotionally blackmailing her. Now I'm really forking annoyed with my cousin for what I'm sure she felt was a nice thing to do, and I feel like I'm being a 37 year old spoilt brat about it.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:04 pm 
Semen Strong

I figure that if someone asks you, that is a nice thing, but only if you are absolutely free to say no. And its not blackmail to say how you feel :)

I like all my holidays best in small groups of people that I really like eating vegan food. I feel like there is so much significance to Christmas that I don't want to feel like I am just tolerating it to make someone else happy. Its my holiday too! I really feel you on the smell thing too - my MIL started frying kielbasa in the middle of the last Christmas Eve at her house that I ever went to and it stank so bad. I really just don't like the smell of meat and its hard to feel the holiday spirit when you're trying not to barf.

And its sad, but we weigh the costs of presents too. I really appreciate our friends who don't do gifts, because when money is tight the last thing you want to be doing is spending money you don't have on gifts that people won't really like in exchange for gifts you don't really need. <======ba humbug. I like making or buying stuff for people too - but not when its instead of groceries.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:26 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Are UK wine glasses smaller than American wine glasses? A normal-sized bottle here is like 4 glasses, right?

I'm pretty tipsy after two, and I'm an average sized lady.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:32 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

missdelaney wrote:
Amajorrecords wrote:
missdelaney wrote:
Today, I found mold behind my bed. A ton of mold. Eurgh. I cleaned it up, but this house is scaring me. Doors that don't close, mold, tons of dust...time to move. Already finding plenty of places, but all are reliant on other people moving with my roommate and me.

We found mold today too. Good times in rainy old puget sound!

hah. Commiseration. It's even worse because there's a freaking tree right at the corner of my house where my bedroom is.
Seriously, though, I love living here. But it's rained a lot this winter.

I think we need new windows. Too much moisture is getting in. One street by our house has been flooded for over a month. It's nuts! I guess that's what we get for the unusually dry summer and fall we had.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:34 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

About to leave for my date! I've put on my fanciest underoos for tonight even though it's just a movie date. It seems like the thing to do.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:49 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Have tuna!

what the fizzle? Weirdest iPad autocorrect ever.

Maybe have fun instead. You know, in case tuna isn't your thing.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:51 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

kfad wrote:
I am going to a Robotics competition with my youngest. I am looking forward to the competition part. But... it is all day and at a place with no food nearby. I am packing some.

Also, not looking forward to dealing with other parents.

Why do you have to "deal" with the other parents? Idle chit chat should cover things.

Good luck to your smarty pants kid! Hope he/she has a blast.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:34 pm 
Saggy Butt

Friendly reminder to motorists that pedestrians have the right of way, especially when the light is in their favour and they're in a marked crossing. And if you have to turn across an intersection /slightly more slowly/ to avoid vehicular manslaughter, it is really not necessary to honk, slam on your brakes, then lean out the window to scream at that pedestrian as you drive past. Especially if you are screaming at them to look where they're going, as you lean backwards halfway out of your window while you're driving a few tonnes of metal.

Also, 'SORRY BUS FULL' and 'HAPPY HOLIDAYS' look almost identical on the bus displays from a distance, so I keep watching buses approach with 'ADFSDKG ADSFDFD' and getting all sad because it's cold and I don't want the bus to abandon me. Then it turns out the bus was just being festive, and I like Christmas even less.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:36 pm 
Naked Under Apron

lavawitch wrote:
Idle chit chat should cover things.

I thought that read, "Idle clit chat should cover things." I was really confused for a moment.

Writing Praying Vegan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:49 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

xGreenling wrote:
Friendly reminder to motorists that pedestrians have the right of way, especially when the light is in their favour and they're in a marked crossing. And if you have to turn across an intersection /slightly more slowly/ to avoid vehicular manslaughter, it is really not necessary to honk, slam on your brakes, then lean out the window to scream at that pedestrian as you drive past. Especially if you are screaming at them to look where they're going, as you lean backwards halfway out of your window while you're driving a few tonnes of metal.

I hate it when crassholes in cars don't know when they don't have right of way!

I love this video about Oregon law called Every Corner is a Crosswalk (because legally it is in Oregon!). It's super cute.

http://www.portlandonline.com/mayor/ind ... 1&a=248292

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:25 pm 

AutumnLeaves wrote:
lavawitch wrote:
Idle chit chat should cover things.

I thought that read, "Idle clit chat should cover things." I was really confused for a moment.

Well, it would be more exciting than talking about the weather...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46046 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1179, 1180, 1181, 1182, 1183, 1184, 1185 ... 1842  Next