| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13010 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83 ... 521  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:54 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Desdemona wrote:
ashley wrote:
So, my company's Ruth's Chris christmas dinner last night! It was probably the funniest restaurant meal I've ever been presented with.

Dinner was 4 spears of steamed asparagus, 6 broccoli florets, and half a tomato. All arranged artfully on a plate. No seasonings of any kind. I ate this while my coworkers all ate steaks, lobster, and huge portions of various side items.

For dessert, I was served half a cup of berries. While everyone else got servings of cheesecake and chocolate cake the side of their heads.

I mean, look, I understand that this place is meatville and vegan food isn't really their thing. But apparently "vegan" translated as "does not eat food." It was just not an appropriate atmosphere to complain, so I didn't. But it was such a sad, almost demeaning experience.
This is just complete bullcrap. Borderline starvation aside, I would refuse to participate next time if only because that miserable excuse for a "dinner" reinforced all sorts of mainstream stereotypes about how difficult, alienating, and essentially joyless it is to be vegan. You just know your colleagues went home that night clucking about how "poor Ashley can't eat anything," how sorry they felt for you, and how they could never survive on that kind of diet, etc., etc. And of course they're absolutely right, because no one could survive for long on 4 spears of steamed asparagus, 6 broccoli florets, and half a tomato. Fortunately, that's not all that vegans eat, but they have no way of knowing that because the only vegan "meal" they've ever seen was apparently catered for a (not very hungry) rabbit. Way to go, Ruth's Chris! And what the hell kind of incomprehensibly stupid forking name is that for a restaurant, anyway?!

I got looks of pity from my co-workers the whole night! My friend sitting next to me tried to get them to bring me something better, but the server's response was something along the lines of, "we're a steakhouse, bisque."

One of my other co-workers looked at my plate and told me, "well, it is a large tomato" as she inhaled a steak the size of a dinner plate. I wanted to tell her that if she didn't have anything supportive to say, she should just keep her forking mouth shut. But I didn't.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:05 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Ashley, that's such a bummer! I went to a Ruth's Chris in San Diego about 5 years ago for my parents' anniversary and they made me a great meal. I can't recall exactly what I had but I do remember really delicious grilled portabellas. It was a hearty dinner for sure, not a few sad veggies. They also made me a separate appetizer with roasted veggies in a bunch of fancy dipping sauces. And they definitely didn't make any snooty comments about a vegan in a steakhouse.

I wonder if it's because you were in a big group or the chef was inept. Either way, you should call them and complain about the bad service! Part of their thing is supposed to be providing a great dining experience...that's what you're paying for! My parents complained once about having their reservations jacked up and the manager was totally apologetic and comped most of their meal. I bet if you complain they will ask you to come back so they can give you a better experience (mostly) on the house.

ETA: I never would've considered complaining back in the day but my husband worked at a really fancy restaurant for many years and says it's expected. He said their goal was to make people happy. People complained about really minor things but the restaurant never balked because thy wanted to retain a good rep. So I think telling them you were made uncomfortable and were served a sub-par meal is totally legit.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:13 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I may try that, couroupita. The part that sucks is that my boss really did try to get them to make something good for me (called more than once before the dinner and was assured there'd be a "vegan menu" for me)... that did not pan out. I told my boss I was happy with my meal just to make him feel okay about it. It's not his fault. But I may complain to the restaurant on my own. They need to be told.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:21 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

ashley that's so annoying! Just from glancing at their online menu I can spot some things that they could easily veganize. You should definitely complain.

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:29 pm 
Semen Strong

I am so sorry ashley!

ashley wrote:
the server's response was something along the lines of, "we're a steakhouse, bisque."

That is so messed up! I would be slamming the restaurant on Yelp and to the managers. Its called the "hospitality industry," at least be nice to someone who is at a corporate dinner and going to be giving you a huge tip.

I would definitely tell my boss, otherwise he'll think you liked it and book it again. If he has all the information, you are leaving him free to do whatever he thinks is right, including making a call to the manager, if he is annoyed about the fact that his instructions were disregarded.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:31 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Yeah if your boss called and was reassured, that's even worse! It you don't get anywhere with the individual restaurant, you can contact their corporate hq.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:24 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Yelp review it!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:48 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

lavawitch wrote:
We have a mandatory faculty lunch this week. They sent out an email for our orders. We can choose from three different chicken dishes from a Chinese restaurant that has lots of vegetarian or vegan things on their menu or, marked specifically for "vegetarians only please" vegetable lasagna with Greek salad from an Italian restaurant.

They cant make any of those vegan, so I'm out of luck. It wouldn't annoy me so much if they weren't getting this crepe from a place I *could* have something nice.

What can I bring myself that doesn't need refrigeration that will make them jealous? Hrmph.

If it's mandatory, I would think they would accommodate you if you let them know your requirements? I'm sure they don't want everyone ordering different things, but you have a legitimate reason. Why wouldn't they include you, if you reminded them?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:05 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

No. I already did ask. I was told that "maybe" the Greek salad would be ok, or there might be some vegetables.

It's a painful professional development thing. They try to ease the sting by feeding people.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:25 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Greek salad usually means feta cheese to me :-(

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:28 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

ashley wrote:
So, my company's Ruth's Chris christmas dinner last night! It was probably the funniest restaurant meal I've ever been presented with.

Dinner was 4 spears of steamed asparagus, 6 broccoli florets, and half a tomato. All arranged artfully on a plate. No seasonings of any kind. I ate this while my coworkers all ate steaks, lobster, and huge portions of various side items.

For dessert, I was served half a cup of berries. While everyone else got servings of cheesecake and chocolate cake the side of their heads.

I mean, look, I understand that this place is meatville and vegan food isn't really their thing. But apparently "vegan" translated as "does not eat food." It was just not an appropriate atmosphere to complain, so I didn't. But it was such a sad, almost demeaning experience.

If this happened to me I would write a letter to corporate headquarters telling them how it made me feel. But I find letter writing very cathartic!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:32 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Yes, and Greek salad minus feta means it's just going to be very sad boring salad.

That's pointlessly unhelpful! Why on earth would they refuse to get you anything you can eat, if they're feeding everyone else? What would they expect someone with allergies to do? Did you ask what the reason was you couldn't have something vegan from the Chinese place?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:38 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Apparently they get the deal by ordering just the chicken dishes. Who knows? Why do they get the vegetarian stuff somewhere else? And beg only vegetarians to request it because it's expensive?

But, I'd guess that the school admin has enough real work stuff to do and doesn't want to be bothered. Fair enough, I suppose.

Last edited by lavawitch on Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:39 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

sbwalker123 wrote:
My biggest vegan pet peeve is when I tell people that I have 3 goat companions and they ask "What do you do with them" or "Wow you must love getting fresh goat milk" Honestly I sometimes want to ask them back what do you do with your dog or cat???? do you like getting fresh dog milk?? Its the most annoying thing in the world how animals that are traditionaly used for agriculture are only seen as that by the majority of the population, not adorable creatures who come running to the gate when every they see you or call to you when you go inside. (and obviously I do not get fresh goat milk because I do not plan on breeding my goats, and if I did the milk would be for the babies)

people HONESTLY seem to think dairy cows were put on this planet to produce milk and that they walk around with huge sacks full of milk dragging on the ground just begging to be milked and consumed. i have had several people i work with who i would otherwise say are smart, intelligent, human beings say "but isnt that what they are for? what are they going to do with the milk??"

i have 3 female guinea pigs.
im gonna start milking them.

hmmmmm guinea pig milk!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:45 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

ashley wrote:
I may try that, couroupita. The part that sucks is that my boss really did try to get them to make something good for me (called more than once before the dinner and was assured there'd be a "vegan menu" for me)... that did not pan out. I told my boss I was happy with my meal just to make him feel okay about it. It's not his fault. But I may complain to the restaurant on my own. They need to be told.

As someone who has been in your boss's position, I really think you should tell him the meal was unsatisfactory. He's an adult and should know that it wasn't his fault and that you aren't blaming him, but he needs to be aware about any problems so he can follow up with the restaurant to tell them that the way one of his employees was treated and the meal they were served were both unacceptable. Whether or not anything comes of it is another story, but someone at the restaurant should know you had a bad experience.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:56 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Ugh. Holiday parties. Lucky for me, this company sucks, and we don't really have one. A happy hour at the italian restaurant downstairs. Cheese and cracker and shitty wine. Definitly NOT going. Easy to get out of, since everyone is super unfriendly and nobody will even notice if I am not there. Hell, they probably wouldn't notice if I went naked!

My partner's company...sigh. Same party at a Sheraton every year. 2 drink tickets each. Every year they said they would have a vegan option, and it is always cheese ravioli. Whatevs, I just eat before I go. He has been working there forever, so I know most of his co-workers/employees anyway, and they know I am vegan, so it is not too uncomfortable.

However this year they INSIST they will have something for me. And this year it is buffet style. I am worried that they will have no vegetarian option, only a vegan option. Which sounds great right? no. It wll be something terrible like rice and sad veggies. Then all the vegetarians will be mad that they are missing out on an awesome cheesy pasta dish (I would be mad too!). There are about a dozen or so vegetarians at his company. Really, I wish he had not even told them. I am fine with eating ahead of time. I don't want to peas anyone off.

(the reason I say this...at a company function one time, there was me, a vegan, and a GF person who was omni. Every meal it was a GF AND vegan meal. She was very mad. So was I. The food was terrible. I wanted some grains, and she wanted meat. Instead we got soggy 'risotto' for pretty much every meal and salad)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:08 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

newest pet peeve:
all the delicious looking candy and chocolate and treats being delivered to our office from various clients and vendors and all i can eat is a plain cashew!

WAHHHHH I WANT TO EAT YOU CHOCOLATE COVERED PRETZEL!!!!! :-(

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:41 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

LisaPunk wrote:
newest pet peeve:
all the delicious looking candy and chocolate and treats being delivered to our office from various clients and vendors and all i can eat is a plain cashew!

WAHHHHH I WANT TO EAT YOU CHOCOLATE COVERED PRETZEL!!!!! :-(

This will probably be me in a week. A couple of the vendors I work with know that I'm vegan, but they don't know what that means really. One asks if I've been eating my vegetables whenever he calls and has brought me a fruit cup before though. And actually last year the other vendor sent a variety of fancy popcorn and some was vegan friendly.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:04 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I got a beautiful, non-vegan caramel apple last week, as a holiday present from a vendor. I brought it home and my partner ate it. He loved it :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:03 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

best part of working for myself: no mandatory holiday parties

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:11 pm 
Impressive boner

LisaPunk wrote:

hmmmmm guinea pig milk!

Retail it in thimble sized containers. It could be the addition to a really exclusive type of coffee beverage, the 'caviapuccino'.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:15 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

torque wrote:
best part of working for myself: no mandatory holiday parties

+1 yummiest.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:33 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

8ball wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:

hmmmmm guinea pig milk!

Retail it in thimble sized containers. It could be the addition to a really exclusive type of coffee beverage, the 'caviapuccino'.

Pair it with coffee beans that they poop out and you might be on to something.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:37 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

8ball wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:

hmmmmm guinea pig milk!

Bwahahahaha!

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:00 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

8ball wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:

hmmmmm guinea pig milk!

i love it!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13010 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83 ... 521  Next