| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: frozen shoulder safe space
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:09 am 
Naked Under Apron

molasses jane wrote:
kittee wrote:
just checking in 8 months later! still frozen, but range of motion is slowly coming back a little. at least it stopped hurting in time for my other shoulder to start seizing up. good times!

oh kittee i can't believe this is ongoing. i'm so sorry! has anything helped? acupuncture? massage? anything? how are you doing your hair??

i wore pigtails all winter! i can raise my left arm high enough to get my hair up now, but i have to be careful. it's starting to strain my good shoulder. once you get it one side, it's pretty common for the other side to freeze, too. i'm trying to avoid that.

xo
kittee

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:32 am 
Naked Under Apron

almost a year later and the good shoulder is trying very very very hard to freeze. this should be called the bisque-y shoulder syndrome.

pakupaku
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 3:43 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

I had mild frozen shoulder after having arthroscopy done on the shoulder post car-accident. It was so frustrating, and it was only mild...so I can't even begin to imagine how it is for you, sorry to hear this. Mine was mostly frozen in certain ranges of motion (ie I could lift my arm above my head but absolutely could not reach behind my back for instance). My surgeon offered to do a manual mobilization under anesthesia but I really wanted to avoid that route. I did get a cortisone injection once (ouch!) but I am not sure what benefit that really had. The main thing that really helped me was going to PT and having my therapist do some really awful mobilization of the shoulder that helped to release the fibrosis. It was incredibly terrible during the time but helped so much. I told her that I felt like my shoulder was literally going to break in half during it because there was such a lack of mobility and she was forcing it (gently, but still) to move. If you can find a PT that is really dedicated to manual therapy (not just exercises), it might be really beneficial. I also take a turmeric/boswelia/other anti-inflammatory herb supplement from Pure Encapsulations called Phyto-4. Yoga really helped as well, specifically the standing bow and pigeon postures, as they helped to release the pectoral muscles that were contributing to the lack of movement in my shoulder.

Best of luck with this, Kittee, I understand your frustration. Mine took nearly a year to get back to normal-ish and I still have days that I am scared it's starting again. Apparently being a lean woman is a big risk factor, but they don't really know why. Anyway, hope you get relief soon!

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:30 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Look for 'the frozen shoulder workbook' on Amazon. It has lots of detailed self massage techniques to help....I reccomend it all the time!
Signed,
Late to the party massage therapist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:55 pm 
Naked Under Apron

My right shoulder is frozen solid, and it hurts. All the time. I am so sad. If I had gotten in some sort of bike accident and ripped all the shiitake out in both shoulders, I would be all healed up by now X 48488484.

pakupaku

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:15 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Kittee I have no advice but it sounds painful and I hope it heals quickly! Our bodies should be as mindful of us as we are of them :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:06 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Just wondering how everyone's frozen shoulders are doing. I was diagnosed with the frozen shoulder/tennis elbow combo on my left side and it hurts so much. I am taking strong anti-inflammatories that kill my stomach with acid, swish the acid up in my throat and make me cough a lot.

I am also doing physical therapy with some exercise but mostly massage and with the PT gently but mercilessly trying to bend me in ways I don't want to. It's so weird because where I go to do therapy it's always packed with people with ice on their legs and yet they do not limp...they jump around, do stuff, and seem to be fine. I am the one with tendonitis which does not sound like much compared to maybe the broken bones other people suffered, and I am the one who seems to suffer the most. Of course I know everyone there is suffering, so I must be the wuss whriting in pain on the little bed when they push my arm back...

Tonight was awful, and I am so tired of the pain. It will be quiet and then suddenly it feels as if someone is sawing my arm off at the shoulder...urgh..

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:52 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Edited because I didn't realize how old the original post was!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:03 am 
Naked Under Apron

sorry to hear you're in pain, angelina! my right shoulder is still frozen, although it stopped hurting non-stop in october maybe? i feel like it's maaaaaaybe starting to loosen up a little, like enough i can just barely close the hatchback without standing on tiptoes and arching my back, but still frozen.

i have been doing zero PT for it, since the PT on first shoulder did nothing. but as soon as this releases, i plan to do some shoulder strength training with dumbells and maybe a session with a personal trainer.

xo
kittee

pakupaku

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:20 am 

Thank you, Kittee. It's good to know that it will end someday. At least the pain! I actually saw I had bruises on my shoulder this morning from last night's therapy. It has been helping me, it's just made more complicated by my tennis elbow. I think I am going to cave in and get a cortisone shot in the elbow (ugh...that is going to hurt so much).

When this is over, I want to strengthen my shoulders too. Maybe if the muscles are in better shape, the whole thing will work better.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:35 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I'm sorry you are still having pain, my shoulder is so so wack, it isn't frozen but it has all this scar tissue and it's hard to move. It hurts every single day and gets worse as the day goes on. I wish I could go to massage therapy all the time because that helps so much.

I have been doing yoga DVDs every day and they really really help too. When I come home and do one after work it doesn't hurt the rest of the night. Maybe they would at least help gain mobility after in unfreezes and strengthen it so it doesn't happen again. If anyone is interested, here are the ones that I have found helpful
Yoga Link: Shoulder Shape-Up with Jill Miller - this one has a lot of moves that I can't do (my range of motion is riciculously bad) but it has a couple that have been lifesavers that I do every day now. Highly recomend
Yoga Tune Up: QuickFix Rx - Upper Body Series -this one has much simpler moves but I still feel a lot better doing. Both of them also have tennis ball massage which is pretty awesome for self massage.
Jill has a lot of stretches on her you tube channel.
Viniyoga Therapy for the Upper Back, Neck & Shoulders with Gary Kraftsow (2009) this one is more about gaining mobility through doing vinyasas (moving in and out of the pose with the breath) it's very gentle.
Yoga for Stress Relief- This one has two shoulder practices one that is passive and one that is active, but not like power yoga active! More like simple backbends like cobra
Element: Yoga for Stress Relief & Flexibility- This one isn't specifically for the shoulder but I've found the flexibility one very helpful for stretching it out.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:51 am 

That is one of the things I miss the most...yoga. I know I can't take a class because I can't even do a downward dog, but I am definitely going to check out your recommendations.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:21 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Angelina wrote:
That is one of the things I miss the most...yoga. I know I can't take a class because I can't even do a downward dog, but I am definitely going to check out your recommendations.

oh yeah, there is definitely not anything that hard in any of these! No load baring poses. I wish I could do yoga class too!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:16 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I don't know if anyone said this already but there is a frozen shoulder workbook on amazon.com, you will need something called a therapy cane to go with it so you might as well buy them together but the book is really good.

http://www.amazon.com/Frozen-Shoulder-W ... r+workbook

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:01 pm 
Naked Under Apron

My shoulder seems to be coming around!

pakupaku

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:35 pm 

Mine is still hurting...it's so hard to do therapy for it because I also have tennis elbow on the same side, and when they try to move my shoulder, my elbow screams out. Sometimes my hand and fingers will shake and twitch for a while after a therapy session.

Seeing the doctor again in a week.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:43 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

kittee wrote:
My shoulder seems to be coming around!

This is awesome to hear, kittee!

I know I am bumping an old thread but I was just recently diagnosed with this and have read some helpful stuff in here.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:22 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

You guys need to find a good massage therapist. Someone trained in treating this. You can gain range of motion and dramatically decrease pain quickly (usually) with the help of a good therapist! It really frustrates me that so many people suffer when they don't need to. But it can seem overwhelming when you're the patient looking for treatment/insurance coverage, etc, etc, etc.

I want to start a low/no cost for vegans clinic. Seriously. I'll treat you for free or what you want to pay or donate to a farm sanctuary or something. But, you know, discriminating against omnis and all......

--from a therapist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:58 pm 

I have been thinking seriously about massage. When I get back to SD I will look for a therapist. Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:11 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Good for you!

Just make sure you really check around for a *qualified* therapist, which, BTW, does not at all equate with years of experience. There are many different modalities of massage, and most therapists don't specialize in this kind of treatment work. This isn't a spa-type of Swedish massage you're going for. If you end up going to someone who isn't familiar with treating this you may very well end up frustrated, disappointed, and out of a fair bit of money.

Oh, dear, I sound like a downer! Just want you to get results! Word of mouth is the best lead, IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:21 pm 
Naked Under Apron

tofucheez wrote:
You guys need to find a good massage therapist. Someone trained in treating this. You can gain range of motion and dramatically decrease pain quickly (usually) with the help of a good therapist! It really frustrates me that so many people suffer when they don't need to. But it can seem overwhelming when you're the patient looking for treatment/insurance coverage, etc, etc, etc.

I want to start a low/no cost for vegans clinic. Seriously. I'll treat you for free or what you want to pay or donate to a farm sanctuary or something. But, you know, discriminating against omnis and all......

--from a therapist

Both my shoulders are a million times better, but I did see a lot of therapists for this. I had regular acupuncture and cupping, a physical therapist and occasional massage. I also read some of the trigger point books and was using a theracane as much as I could tolerate.

xo
kittee

pakupaku

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:22 pm 
Naked Under Apron

~Sz wrote:
I have been thinking seriously about massage. When I get back to SD I will look for a therapist. Thank you!

I hope yours is just a mild case Sz. Feel better soon!
xo
kittee

pakupaku

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:36 pm 

Thank you, Kittee and thank you Tofucheez. I'm finally returning to my regular life tomorrow and will have to focus on this. Kittee, I think it is mild, but then I reach for something and it is so intensely painful. I have reasonable strength and range of motion, so I am thankful for that.

As for massage, I don't believe in "relaxation massage" -- I need deep tissue, which is why it's been hard for me to find someone. I'm going to start with my physical therapists office and go from there. You're not a downer, TC!

And kittee, I know acupuncture would help, I may have to go back to that.

xoxo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:20 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

~Sz wrote:
As for massage, I don't believe in "relaxation massage" -- I need deep tissue, which is why it's been hard for me to find someone.

you need "treatment work," which does not always equal deep tissue. There are specific ways a massage therapist can treat this if they have been trained to do so. You may find a therapist that does amazing deep tissue, but that doesn't mean you will see improvement. Look for someone trained in "treatment work."

I hope I don't sound bossy, that's not how I mean it, really! Just trying to help clarify what you should be looking for. It can be confusing :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:54 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

My husband has battled it (first on one side, then the other) for a while. We found that a great massage therapist, loads of turmeric for the inflammation and an intense heat and ice schedule alongside the p.t. instructions had him back to something close to full range of motion in 6 weeks. But this was a really hyper-intense routine.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs