| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help me plan a month of the greatest food.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:42 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

So this semester has kicked my asparagus, and subsequently, cooking has taken a backseat. I have gone from thinking that making tamales wasn't really that big of a deal to being intimidated by the time it takes to throw together a pot of soup. But this Thursday, about 2:30, I'm free for a whole month. What do I need to cook? I have several cookbooks that have come out in the last few months, but have either barely used them, or not used them at all. This includes Vegan Eats World. I got it the second it came out and...nothing.

So, tell me, what have I missed in the world of vegan cooking since August? It's been so long since I've had hours to spend in the kitchen I don't even know where to start.

Post subject: Re: Help me plan a month of the greatest food.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:31 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Although prior to August, maybe you missed seeing this blog post by Isa? I will admit, and I don't mean to intentionally sound whiny, but as a relatively new vegan since Aug 2012 I really really really miss cheese! I never put it on as an extra to a sandwich but I did looooove grill cheese sandwiches and I ate cheese out of hand daily. Plus in April of this year I got diagnosed with being allergic to all nuts so I can't make any of the cashew based cheeses. Sigh. But Isa to the rescue with her sunflower mac n cheese. Of course it doesn't taste like cheese, but it is really good. Omni hubby cleaned his plate and that says something! I add a generous sprinkling of Annie's vegan worchestershire and some rooster hot sauce to mine, yummy!!!!!!

It makes a lot of sauce! We had enough to cover 4 portions, and some (not tons) leftover that I'll stick in the freezer.

http://www.theppk.com/2012/02/sunflower-mac/

Hubby & I recently made Robin Robertson's spicy indo-chinese noodles and they were awesome. They were in a back issue of VegNews but maybe you can find it on her blog? http://www.robinrobertson.com

P.S. What cookbooks do you have that you specifically want to cook out of? You can also check the cookbook thread and see what people have been cooking out them lately.

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

Post subject: Re: Help me plan a month of the greatest food.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:39 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Right now I am working through Vegan Eats World and I think you should crack it open! A lot of the meals are definitely projects but so worth it and there is a lot of great cold weather soups and currys that are perfect for this time of year. You can start with trips to international markets, make the spice blends, the seitans, the pickles, and then you are ready to go.

I am also really excited about the Dirt Candy cookbook, it was really fun to read because it's in graphic novel format and all the recipes are more project like but sound like a lot of fun.