| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 834 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 34  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Walking Dead season 3! (NO COMIC SPOILERS!)
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:57 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Have they mentioned the tea at all since the first woodbury episode? I feel like they brought it up and then changed their minds.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:37 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Not the tea specifically, but they've had a lot of focus on other drinks. Andrea and the Governor are always on about the booze and when they were having that party when Michonne was in the governor's lair he was all "get more drinks out there!" and it was kind of weird considering you know...you'd be conserving drinks in the midst of your zombie apocalypse

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:10 am 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i really think you guys are reading a lot into the beverage situation. i'll be surprised if it amounts to anything. not unpleasantly surprised, but still.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:36 am 
Bathes in Braggs

LOL....yes, that would be funny if season 3 rolls around to an end and somebody brings this up "Hey, looks like the tea was just about tea "

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:23 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I don't know, I didn't notice it until you guys pointed it out but it is really, really prominent in every single episode. In the one before this last one, I said something to my husband about how there hadn't been any beverages so far and then literally like 10 seconds later the Governor brought out the whiskey. I don't know whether it's just a weird stylistic detail or what but they definitely seem to be making a big deal of it on purpose.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:42 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Whiskey (especially sippin' whiskey) is a luxury drink, to be enjoyed while relaxing. Drinking whiskey is shorthand for how comfortable they've gotten in Woodbury-- they don't just have water for survival, they have drinks for enjoyment. And since the Governor is in charge, he gets the best drinks for enjoyment.

Plus strong liquor isn't going to go bad after a couple of months or years unrefrigerated. I bet the number of drinkable pre-outbreak beers is basically zero.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:46 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

There is a beverage in almost every shot! And Milton was very purposefully drinking tea during the failed experiment with the turning dying guy. And they act totally weird and suspicious every time they take a sip of anything. The tea means something goddamit!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:53 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i think you're hypersensitive to the presence of drinks because you decided early on that the tea had to mean something. i'm just not sold on the conspiracy. but i'm amused by the tension it's created. i'm going to start carrying around an unlabeled glass jar of tea and drinking from it whenever someone looks at me. "mmm, tea," i'll say. neighborhood watch on my doorstep in two weeks, tops.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:10 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

molly wrote:
I don't know, I didn't notice it until you guys pointed it out but it is really, really prominent in every single episode. In the one before this last one, I said something to my husband about how there hadn't been any beverages so far and then literally like 10 seconds later the Governor brought out the whiskey. I don't know whether it's just a weird stylistic detail or what but they definitely seem to be making a big deal of it on purpose.

Their thing with the tea or drinks other than water might just be another failed, homegrown, superstition they cultivated like how a piece of the person remains after death, possibly being able to be held onto with cues like music, pictures etc.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:32 pm 

acr wrote:
i think you're hypersensitive to the presence of drinks because you decided early on that the tea had to mean something. i'm just not sold on the conspiracy. but i'm amused by the tension it's created. i'm going to start carrying around an unlabeled glass jar of tea and drinking from it whenever someone looks at me. "mmm, tea," i'll say. neighborhood watch on my doorstep in two weeks, tops.

I AM NOT HYPERSENSITIVE!!! DON'T TELL ME WHAT I AM YOUDONTKNOWME!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:36 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

of course you're not, dear. why don't you have some tea? it'll relax you. mmm, tea.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:07 pm 
protein lump

solipsistnation wrote:
Whiskey (especially sippin' whiskey) is a luxury drink, to be enjoyed while relaxing. Drinking whiskey is shorthand for how comfortable they've gotten in Woodbury-- they don't just have water for survival, they have drinks for enjoyment. And since the Governor is in charge, he gets the best drinks for enjoyment.

yeah, this is how i see it. they're so safe and comfy in their little town that they don't have to worry about things like water.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:09 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I keep wondering where Rick's group gets water to drink. There is no electricity to run well pumps and there can only be so much bottled water left around.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:47 am 
Bathes in Braggs

If you start thinking like that, you have to start wondering who keeps all of those lawns cut

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:07 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

beforewisdom wrote:
If you start thinking like that, you have to start wondering who keeps all of those lawns cut

Zombie sheep.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:13 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

And why the women have no pit or leg hair. Or unibrows. I'd look like a Sasquatch.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:53 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

That is simple to explain. When they risk their lives to go into drug stores for other things, they pick up depilatory products to use in those spare moments in between running house to house.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:39 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

i think the beverage situation is just showing that there's hospitality in woodbury.

(and it's also possible that that totally sweet teapot in the first woodbury episode was a product placement. of course i didn't see a name, but if you're industrious enough, you might be able to find it.)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:14 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I wonder if they ever end this show, if they decided to do it gracefully, what the ending would be.

The CDC is gone, but they never mentioned the President who is supposed to have a bunker or something in case of nuclear war. I'm guessing they could use that as an element in a future ending to the series. Maybe scientists in his enclave find a vaccine, maybe some sort of gas to put the zombies down and they invite the group to live there, while they slowly take back the country.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:16 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

the prez is probably dead. i wouldn't be surprised if one of the elderly cabinet members or whatever died naturally and ate everyone in the bunker. they probably wouldn't have known about the need to keep an eye on natural deaths until too late.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:27 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

That would make a really good scene :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:51 am 
Not NOT A Furry

About the tea: this is behind the scenes stuff, so I'll spoiler tag it.

Spoiler: show
On Talking Dead, one of the producers mentioned that someone on the staff always has a cup of tea. The writers thought that would be a neat little character trait to put in. It's just a personality quirk to add some dimension to a character.

Unless, of course, that's a ruse and it turns out to be something more significant, which would be hilarious.

For winding up the show, I had a thought that depends on something that's only been alluded to on the show.

Remember when the Governor asked Milton why Michonne's pets, who were incapable of eating, weren't starving? He replied that they are, they just do it much more slowly.

The same question applies to why the walkers aren't simply decomposing and falling apart. And the answer is the same: they are, they just do it much more slowly. Greg Nicotero has mentioned that the zombie makeup has been changing each season to show the increasing decay.

So that means eventually there will come a time when the number of zombies will be drastically reduced. Sure, there's a new zombie created for every human death (unless they get shot in the head or the brain is otherwise destroyed, of course), but those numbers would never come close to replenishing the numbers of the initial huge mass of zombies. It would drop from the billions to the thousands. Securing territory and cleaning up would be a cinch at that point.

How long would that take? It depends on the rate of decomposition in this particular fictional world. Could be five years, could be twenty-five. Whatever the writers come up with.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:11 pm 

Pyewacket wrote:

On Talking Dead, one of the producers mentioned that someone on the staff always has a cup of tea. The writers thought that would be a neat little character trait to put in. It's just a personality quirk to add some dimension to a character.

Unless, of course, that's a ruse and it turns out to be something more significant, which would be hilarious.

I had read that but I still think it's BS. THE TEA MEANS SOMETHING!!!!! (ps for anyone wondering, that isn't a huge spoiler or anything.)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:33 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

IsaChandra wrote:
Pyewacket wrote:

I had read that but I still think it's BS. THE TEA MEANS SOMETHING!!!!! (ps for anyone wondering, that isn't a huge spoiler or anything.)

mmm, victory tea.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:40 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I humbly bow and applaud the use of spoilers. Thank you, thank you all ...........

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 834 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 34  Next