| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: looking for must-try recipes using butler soy curls
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:00 pm 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:13 am
Posts: 1808
Location: USA
yay my 2 packages of butler soy curls are on their way to me! what are some must try recipes using butler soy curls? (i'm allergic to all nuts) (i've already seen the recipe section on their website). what ways do you use your soy curls??

(i do have julie's vegan diner cookbook and i know there is a recipe in there......)

(hmmm... what's up with my overuse of parentheses today?)

_________________
"....but I finally found block tempeh a few weeks ago with the intent to give it my virginity." -Moon

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: looking for must-try recipes using butler soy curls
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:41 pm 
Offline
Kitchens Planning Manchester
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:18 am
Posts: 2608
Location: England
The Courico tacos and salsa from Vegan Brunch. I used them a couple of ways and didn't understand the appeal at all until I tried them in that. And I'd already made the tacos plenty with seitan, beans and TVP and loved them but the curls are the best in it.

_________________
http://cookingtheveganbooks.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: looking for must-try recipes using butler soy curls
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:53 pm 
Offline
Dying from Nooch Lung
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:01 am
Posts: 3382
Location: Chandler, AZ
I like 'em reconstituted with some spices and then simmered with sweet peppers and onion in BBQ sauce. Then, a toasty roll. No specific recipes, though sorry.

_________________
Half the lies I tell are not true.
"luckily us vegans dont go into cardiac arrest...but we do go into food comas" - Adam Crisis


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: looking for must-try recipes using butler soy curls
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:02 pm 
Offline
Huffs Nooch
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:40 pm
Posts: 139
Location: Oakland, CA
i only ever make smoky soy curls (a la Vegan Diner), and then I put them in everything or just eat up on they own.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: looking for must-try recipes using butler soy curls
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:13 pm 
Offline
Sick of Cupcakes
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:44 pm
Posts: 6884
Location: Modesto, CA
I like them with BBQ sauce or buffalo wing style. This is a good dish too:
https://thatwasvegan.wordpress.com/2012 ... spaghetti/

_________________
The Stay At Home Girlfriend: A zine that focuses on
vegan recipes, cat love and living with OCD.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/missmuffcake


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: looking for must-try recipes using butler soy curls
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:14 pm 
Offline
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:08 pm
Posts: 1655
our current obsession is buffalo wings, from http://kitteekake.blogspot.com/2012/09/in-which-i-buffalo.html. (We didn't actually make the wraps, just the soy curl wings and ate em with a bunch of different stuff.)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: looking for must-try recipes using butler soy curls
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:19 pm 
Offline
Inflexitarian
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:19 pm
Posts: 741
lathandplaster wrote:
i only ever make smoky soy curls (a la Vegan Diner), and then I put them in everything or just eat up on they own.


i was going to write this. they are that insanely good. i always make them to put in other things, and then end up eating them as if they were chips or some other snack food.

_________________
Chicken>Lacan all day, any day. -pandacookie


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: looking for must-try recipes using butler soy curls
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:36 pm 
Offline
Calls "cavemen" on that
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:53 pm
Posts: 2357
Soy curls are awesome. You can do SO MANY things with them, but I think you have to get the re-constituting method down right. A lot of recipes just call for soaking, but I think simmering liquid works way better.

I bring to a simmer a flavored liquid. Put the soy curls in (you want enough to cover the curls) and let sit for at least 10 minutes, up to about 40 minutes. I usually do about 20. Then drain. Get as much liquid out as possible. Use your hands a squeeze. Save the liquid for cooking. Then I cook the soy curls on a hot non-stick skillet with cooking spray, until they are browned. then I add back in the liquid, and cook it down.

I use a latin-type marinade for fajitas (stock or water, lime juice, garlic, mexican beer, chipotle peppers, lots of cumin, oregano etc) a soy broth for asian stir frys (stock, soy sauce, garlic, sesame oil, ginger, rice vinegar etc) I use a BBQ sauce for sandwiches (stock, liquid smoke, hommade or premade BBQ sauce).

Or, I make spicy soy curls to go in pho or other asian soup. Just use soy sauce and broth for the liquid, then add sirracha and agave when you are frying them up. So good. Dang, I really need to get some more soy curls. It's been to long.

but you said you wanted an acutal recipe? then this one is AWESOME:
http://veganyumyum.com/2008/05/sesame-s ... nd-quinoa/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: looking for must-try recipes using butler soy curls
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:37 pm 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:15 am
Posts: 1810
Location: rva
ohhhh, and you might get some yummy ideas from this older thread: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=21711&hilit=curls


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: looking for must-try recipes using butler soy curls
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:47 pm 
Offline
Flounceiad 2011
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:26 pm
Posts: 5564
Location: A New England
happyfaced wrote:
ohhhh, and you might get some yummy ideas from this older thread: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=21711&hilit=curls
I was just about to go hunting for that thread and suggest the same thing!

_________________
Nothing is safe from weiners in my neighborhood... ~ crowderpea
I didn't embarrass him by saying anything about wanking ~ 8ball
"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: looking for must-try recipes using butler soy curls
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:58 pm 
Offline
Mispronounces Daiya
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:11 pm
Posts: 1469
molasses jane wrote:
lathandplaster wrote:
i only ever make smoky soy curls (a la Vegan Diner), and then I put them in everything or just eat up on they own.


i was going to write this. they are that insanely good. i always make them to put in other things, and then end up eating them as if they were chips or some other snack food.


I third the Vegan Diner recipe. I substitute maple syrup and it tastes amazing.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: looking for must-try recipes using butler soy curls
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:16 am 
Offline
Nailed to the V

Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:19 pm
Posts: 547
Location: Sacred City, California
I used them in the peppersteak portabello stew in AFR. I was too lazy to make seitan. It turned out reeeeeaaaallly tasty!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: looking for must-try recipes using butler soy curls
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:45 am 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:01 pm
Posts: 477
Location: Coeur d' Alene, ID
Oooooh! Thank you for this thread and the link to the other one. I bought a whole case of them and as
much as I like the Smokey Curls, I was hoping to diversify. Now I'm looking forward to trying them with some of these recipes!

_________________
I once caught the clap from a salty navy bean on shore leave. Damn beans.--Desdemona


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: looking for must-try recipes using butler soy curls
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:21 am 
Offline
So Totally Yiffy

Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:36 pm
Posts: 41
Several ideas here: http://profoundhatredofmeat.blogspot.com/search?q=soy+curls


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: looking for must-try recipes using butler soy curls
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:05 pm 
Offline
Flounceiad 2011
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:26 pm
Posts: 5564
Location: A New England
SassyOh wrote:
I used them in the peppersteak portabello stew in AFR. I was too lazy to make seitan. It turned out reeeeeaaaallly tasty!
This is genius! I don't really like seitan, but I have a ton of soy curls; I am definitely doing this!

_________________
Nothing is safe from weiners in my neighborhood... ~ crowderpea
I didn't embarrass him by saying anything about wanking ~ 8ball
"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: looking for must-try recipes using butler soy curls
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:26 pm 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:13 am
Posts: 1808
Location: USA
Efcliz wrote:
The Courico tacos and salsa from Vegan Brunch. I used them a couple of ways and didn't understand the appeal at all until I tried them in that. And I'd already made the tacos plenty with seitan, beans and TVP and loved them but the curls are the best in it.


thanks, 'vegan brunch' is on my wish list. i'm lucky in that google books has a very generous preview of the book and i can see that recipe! i'll be sure to write it down! thank you! hubby loved isa's tacos with her TVP chorizo from VwAV so I look forward to trying this recipe!

_________________
"....but I finally found block tempeh a few weeks ago with the intent to give it my virginity." -Moon

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: looking for must-try recipes using butler soy curls
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:27 pm 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:13 am
Posts: 1808
Location: USA
Desdemona wrote:
happyfaced wrote:
ohhhh, and you might get some yummy ideas from this older thread: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=21711&hilit=curls
I was just about to go hunting for that thread and suggest the same thing!


thanks for that link, for some reason the 'search' feature was not working so that is why i created this new post. thanks again for the link!

_________________
"....but I finally found block tempeh a few weeks ago with the intent to give it my virginity." -Moon

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: looking for must-try recipes using butler soy curls
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:28 pm 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:13 am
Posts: 1808
Location: USA
missmuffcake wrote:
I like them with BBQ sauce or buffalo wing style. This is a good dish too:
https://thatwasvegan.wordpress.com/2012 ... spaghetti/


mmmmm....... maybe i could try a buffalo wing style pizza????!!!!

_________________
"....but I finally found block tempeh a few weeks ago with the intent to give it my virginity." -Moon

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: looking for must-try recipes using butler soy curls
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:30 pm 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:13 am
Posts: 1808
Location: USA
Chicki wrote:
Soy curls are awesome. You can do SO MANY things with them, but I think you have to get the re-constituting method down right. A lot of recipes just call for soaking, but I think simmering liquid works way better.

I bring to a simmer a flavored liquid. Put the soy curls in (you want enough to cover the curls) and let sit for at least 10 minutes, up to about 40 minutes. I usually do about 20. Then drain. Get as much liquid out as possible. Use your hands a squeeze. Save the liquid for cooking. Then I cook the soy curls on a hot non-stick skillet with cooking spray, until they are browned. then I add back in the liquid, and cook it down.

........


thank you for taking the time to type up your tip for me! question: do you simmer the soy curls in flavored liquid for your preferred 20 minutes? OR once the liquid has been brought up to a simmer do you remove the pot from the heat? do you cover the pot with a lid??

_________________
"....but I finally found block tempeh a few weeks ago with the intent to give it my virginity." -Moon

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: looking for must-try recipes using butler soy curls
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:32 pm 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:13 am
Posts: 1808
Location: USA
Audrey wrote:
our current obsession is buffalo wings, from http://kitteekake.blogspot.com/2012/09/in-which-i-buffalo.html. (We didn't actually make the wraps, just the soy curl wings and ate em with a bunch of different stuff.)


OMG. Drool. I need this ASAP!!!

_________________
"....but I finally found block tempeh a few weeks ago with the intent to give it my virginity." -Moon

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: looking for must-try recipes using butler soy curls
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:36 pm 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:13 am
Posts: 1808
Location: USA
gingerlime wrote:


thank you! saw many yummy things! what a beautiful blog, i will need to add her to my blogroll!

_________________
"....but I finally found block tempeh a few weeks ago with the intent to give it my virginity." -Moon

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: looking for must-try recipes using butler soy curls
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:38 pm 
Offline
Calls "cavemen" on that
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:53 pm
Posts: 2357
bookwormbethie wrote:
Chicki wrote:
Soy curls are awesome. You can do SO MANY things with them, but I think you have to get the re-constituting method down right. A lot of recipes just call for soaking, but I think simmering liquid works way better.

I bring to a simmer a flavored liquid. Put the soy curls in (you want enough to cover the curls) and let sit for at least 10 minutes, up to about 40 minutes. I usually do about 20. Then drain. Get as much liquid out as possible. Use your hands a squeeze. Save the liquid for cooking. Then I cook the soy curls on a hot non-stick skillet with cooking spray, until they are browned. then I add back in the liquid, and cook it down.

........


thank you for taking the time to type up your tip for me! question: do you simmer the soy curls in flavored liquid for your preferred 20 minutes? OR once the liquid has been brought up to a simmer do you remove the pot from the heat? do you cover the pot with a lid??


Oh, I bring to a simmer, add the curls, then turn off heat and let them sit. I'll put a lid on, especially if the liquid does not cover the curls completly. Even if you just let them sit for like 5 minutes it works well. And the stronger the liquid, the more flavorful the curls will be

haha. I had a dream about soy curls last night. I really need to buy some more.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: looking for must-try recipes using butler soy curls
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:04 pm 
Offline
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:11 pm
Posts: 200
Location: the Hills of Caledon
As I am reading this I'm eating ackee and "saltfish" made soycurls. Hubby's Jamacian and usually eats the real thing at his mom's but he makes this at home for us. Get yourself a can of ackee, google a recipe and make it Sooooo good.
We soak the curls in salty brine with added sea veggies (whatever we have on hand) and usually sprinkle some dried seaweed on it at the end.
Freaking delicious! Serve with yams and dumplins and you feel like you're in the islands!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: looking for must-try recipes using butler soy curls
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:11 pm 
Offline
Hearts James Cromwell
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:11 am
Posts: 50
I love this post! I have 3 bags and wasn't 100% sure what to do with them.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: looking for must-try recipes using butler soy curls
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:55 pm 
Offline
And you never will.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:41 pm
Posts: 4415
Location: Memphis
Whatever you do, don't forget to sauce it up and bake in the flavor.

_________________
Sometimes I think, it's really my lack of cybernetic implants that keeps me from being truly human. - Mars
One vegan baker to another: "Dude, do you even sift?" - FootFace


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer