| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Herbs in a Container Garden
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:23 am 
Tofu Pup

So, this year I tried planting an herb garden. I live in an appartment, so I planted three herbs in three different pots. Now, it's been super hot and dry here, so I've been watering them everyday. Even still they look very brown and dry, almost dead. Should I keep them watered until fall, or just clean out the pots and try again? Or maybe I should replant them all into one pot? Help or ideas wpuld be great.

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Herbs in a Container Garden
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:07 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I have terrible luck with container herbs on my apartment balcony. We had a heat wave a few weeks ago and all of mine died. If there's any green left I would try to put them in the shade and give them some water every few days.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:20 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Can anyone grow anything on the east coast this year?

All of my herbs died except my mint. Of course, that's a weed, but that thing is going full speed ahead and would probably take over the deck if it could.

My basil is all sad and stunted. My dill, thyme, oregano, and heat resistant, no-bolt cilantro all died. My parsley is like the Charlie Brown parsley plant. All of Molly's peppers died.

It's probably not you. The weather all up and own the east coast has been brutal for growing things, even if you know what you are doing (I don't).

By contrast, previous years, I had wonderful, beautiful herbs growing on my balcony. I figure if even basil won't grow, things are rough.

I'm going to try again closer to the fall. If our fall is more like summer, maybe I'll get a couple months of nice herbs then. In the meantime, try to keep them sheltered from the worst direct sun and maybe try watering them less but more often. Some herbs don't like too much water (our heavy rains here finished off what the heat hadn't).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:59 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Along with heat, wind can be really bad for container plants/dry them way out. So along with just watering a lot, I think it helps to make sure they're as sheltered from wind as possible on the balcony. I killed pretty much everything I tried to grow on my last balcony and in hindsight, pretty sure it was the wind.

I'd keep watering them personally. Worst thing that happens is they die outright, in which case you're no worse off!

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:28 pm 
Tofu Pup

They're in the shade, so I'll try to keep watering them. If they do die, should I try another batch in mid-September, or just wait 'til next year?

ETA: Although, I'm glad it's not just me with the herb fail this year.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:42 pm 
Tofu Pup

What herbs did you plant? The things with plants is if you water them too much they can look like they are wilty and sad. Knowing what kind you planted will help determine how to have a success next time around!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:58 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I have a kitchen window garden, and my basil, Thai basil, lavender and coriander are all thriving. But my rosemary looks crispy and brown, with some new growth still. Am I overwatering it? Does it need less sun than my others?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:53 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Lovelytofu, what herbs are you growing and how large are the pots you're growing them in? Do they get any direct sunlight or are they in the shade all day? Have you fertilised them at all? Sorry for all of the questions; the more we know, the better we'll be able to help! :-)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:59 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

ScandinaVegan, it's possible the rosemary is being overwatered... are you giving it the same amount of water as the basil? Rosemary likes it drier than basil and if it's receiving the same amount of water, that may explain why it's struggling. Also, does it share a container with the other herbs, or are they all planted is separate containers? The rosemary I bought last year started off quite small but it quickly grew and had to be repotted in a much larger pot of it's own.

Is the lavender you're growing edible? I've been curious about growing lavender for use in the kitchen! :-)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:45 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i have never really had success with potted herbs until i moved to a different place. Especially rosemary, where i have a hard time drawing the line between "it likes less water" and "eternal drought".

@littlechicken, hello antipode gardener!! post in the garden thread! we need more southern hemi gardeners and my spring garden is just rolling into full swing, sounds like you have some good stuff too.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:27 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

torque wrote:
@littlechicken, hello antipode gardener!! post in the garden thread! we need more southern hemi gardeners and my spring garden is just rolling into full swing, sounds like you have some good stuff too.

Thanks torque! :-) I'm actually having a gardening 'crisis' at the moment, so maybe I'll post about it in the gardening thread and see whether anyone has advice... I definitely need it! :-)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:54 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

lovelytofu wrote:
They're in the shade, so I'll try to keep watering them. If they do die, should I try another batch in mid-September, or just wait 'til next year?

ETA: Although, I'm glad it's not just me with the herb fail this year.

Depends on what kind of herbs. Parsley, basil, thyme, rosemary, cilantro, marjoram, sage, green onions can all do well in a pot in a sunny window, if it gets too cold where you live, to leave them out.

Never hurts to try, especially if you already have the seeds. Nothing like fresh herbs!

http://alinaspencil.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:50 am 
Tofu Pup

Well even I have small nursery of herbs,I don't have much herbs only rosemary and cilantro.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:40 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I find they don't like tiny containers. Also, apparently you should go for depth rather than width when choosing a container. Rosemary is definitely hardier than a lot of other herbs (as are thyme and marjoram).

I want to try growing things again but the wildlife gets to everything before me!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:07 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I recommend you google each plant that you have and read what it likes. They like different amounts of sun, different amounts of water, and some do better in hot weather and some do better in cooler weather. Most of them will die if it freezes. You also need to start with good soil. Buy some that says it's for pots or container gardening right on the label. You'll do better if you get some from a garden store than if you get some at home depot in my experience. Then you have to feed them occasionally a little fertilizer. Get some that is for vegetables and if it's liquid you use it every week but if it's the little pellets or more like dirt you add a little each month or each season. It will say on the bag.

For watering, most summer herbs like basil like a lot of water. You can water them every day if it's hot. If the leaves start to droop that means they need more water. Herbs like Rosemary don't need nearly as much but you don't want them to dry out either. What you can always do is stick your finger in the dirt, if it feels dry all the way down you need to add water, if it's really moist an inch down then you can wait. If you have all the plants on saucers you can just fill the saucer with water. The roots will soak it up and when it's gone you can add more. This way you will never over water. If you think that they aren't getting enough sun you can stick some mirrors out there. Most of them probably need 6 hours a day to thrive. Maybe the mirrors or white fabric could block some of the wind. But if they are getting too much sun you can get some shade cloth for them to be under.

There is no end to what you can do to make plants happy so don't get overwhelmed! The most important thing is to keep trying cause eventually you will figure it all out and then you'll have fresh herbs forever which is really nice. If you would be interested in a book I loved Garden Anywhere by Alys Fowler and it had a lot about container gardening.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]