| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1184, 1185, 1186, 1187, 1188, 1189, 1190 ... 1848  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:10 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

ndpittman wrote:
I really like the juxtaposition of tofulish's and rc's posts.

I am meeting more and more amazing women that I'd totally love, if they were only french bulldogs.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:25 pm 
Semen Strong

I like them, its just that I think "Oh if I end up friends with you its just going to mean that I'll end up needing to go to your omni events with meat and dairy and I bring my own dish or eat first blahblahblah, and be "That One Vegan" and it will just roundly suck." I prefer having only a few friends that want to go to vegan places with me, do vegan potlucks and just generally sit around and be vegan. I'd rather travel into the city to hang out with vegans than do something local with omnis. And I like being at vegan events with my kidlet, because I never have to worry about the food being non-vegan or having to wrestle food out of her mouth.

I am losing most of my vegan friends because I have primary responsibility for a toddler. And I'm meeting all these nice toddler mom people, but I just don't want to be around their food. I volunteered to host a potluck, forgetting that that would mean having dairy and meat in my house and then felt freaked out at the prospect and backed out.

I have just lived in my bubble for 7 years, slowly pushing all my non-vegan friends out, but now its gotten lonely. I do keep meeting veganish people, and I like them, but I'd like to find a way to be at peace with people who actually do eat an omni diet and not feel emotionally removed from them or like I couldn't connect to them. I have a friend that I like very much, but whenever she mentions eating meat, a part of me shuts off.

I remember having lots of omni friends, but at a certain point, you get tired of going to restaurants where there isn't food for you and picking over a salad, while your friends say "Oh I could never be vegan! Don't you get hungry?"

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:33 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

monkeytoes wrote:
raspberrycomplaint wrote:
Emilie wrote:
I had a cool dream last night. It had snowed avocado and the ground was covered in a thick layer of smooth guacamole.

I so want this to come true.

I had a dream that I planted a fajita so I could grow a fajita tree. Someone tried to tell me that "it doesn't work like that," and I got really angry at them.

I bet you could grow a fajita tree in a place where it snowed avocado.

I want to move there!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:49 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I definitely understand, Tofulish. I'm at the other end of the spectrum though, so going out with other vegans is just such a delightful relief. Hopefully you'll find balance. You all do non-food things, right? Playgrounds?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:52 pm 
Semen Strong

Everywhere we go with kids, people bring snacks. I feed L a huge breakfast, in hopes of keeping her full, but she still wants all the stuff that other moms bring out that isn't vegan. Today we had an epic, superfun playdate and I had made muffins, so I kept shoving them at her, plus there were other moms with dairy issues so there was other vegan food around. But we had one playdate, where she was begging for part of a turkey sub and another where I had to chase her down and take a hotdog from her.

I just have a hard time connecting with non-vegans. Which is weird as my husband isn't vegan. But I feel like I miss my vegan tribe, and am not ready yet to become a full member of another tribe.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:59 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Tofulish wrote:
I am realizing that I have such a hard time bonding with non-vegans! I had only vegan friends in my life for so many years and now I am meeting more and more amazing women that I'd totally love, if they were only vegan. I'm going to have to start working on that one. Any tips?

Dont talk about food, and ignore what they eat if you go out. If you have lots of things in common, it should be easy enough to mostly stay awake from that one.

But maybe it's just that veganism is something easy to latch onto as a bonding tool, so having to find other things is a rusty too, right now.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:10 am 
Semen Strong

Everything is about food. There is food at everything. People bring cakes, and bake cookies etc.

They're making a vegan lunch for me though this week :) So everyone can try cutting out the dairy, meat etc out of their diets. And I am introducing people to delicious vegan snacks, which is good. I've become everyone's go to friendly vegan resource, which is important because so many babies are dairy-intolerant and even a bit in their mama's milk will make them gassy and sad. I saved the day by bringing vegan cupcakes to an event where one of the kidlets has a dairy allergy so severe, that she'd go into anaphalactic shock if she ate it.

Its not that veganism is an easy bonding tool, its that I am finding veganism actively isolating right now. I am very social, I love people, I can talk about absolutely everything and I have no problem being with these people and even being liked by them. I have a problem liking them back, and part of it is that I feel like I have to watch what I say and what I post on FB and also part of it is that I feel judgmental when people talk about that great steak they had on date night or this good chicken recipe. I want a magical vegan mama community where I could open my heart fully to people around me, without feeling icked out that they participate in cruelty 3x a day. I'd like to go to an event and eat what everyone else eats, or share birthday cake, or not worry about my kid eating a hotdog.

I am just feeling a bit isolated - I think I am resisting that I now have a new tribe. I used to have so many vegans to call and chat, or hang out with and go get tea. My whole pregnancy was nice vegans being awesome to me. But they're all falling away and I barely see them any more, and I spend all my time with awesome non-vegans who have toddlers. Its a bit of a FWP perhaps, but it is wearing on me. I need to suspend judgement. I would like a safe space to drop my public persona of the nice, friendly, non-confrontational vegan and be my true, passionate, angry vegan self, disgusted by dairy and veal crates and gestational crates and battery cages, instead of having to ignore the eggs and mmmmm bacon comments.

Thanks PPK! I love being able to be a crotchety old kumquat with you lot.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:17 am 
Shopped till she dropped

There is a very persistant, long-winded spambot on the boards right now. Some bots at least try to seem like a real poster. This bot? Not in the slightest. My favorite thread title is the "pencil drawing jesus', but the internal links were pure gold. I'm tempted to copy/paste them all, so I can laugh about them later.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:35 am 

I used to sometimes have a hard time having friends who ate meat, but then I realized I just needed to be friends with awesomer people. One thing that's helped me is to just treat people like I assume they're going to be cool and respectful. Another is to share vegan food with them before they have a chance to form preconceptions about me and my veganism. It's been my experience that people are a lot more receptive to finding out that I am vegan when they find out because I'm giving them a cupcake than they are if they find out when we go out for dinner. But for the most part, my non-vegan friends are really cool about my veganism, they respect it, and they're entirely willing to cook something vegan for me or choose a place to eat that has vegan options or that sort of thing.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:47 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I had a PPK dream!

Isa threw a massive festival in her garden, with a focus on food and literature. Also, there was a castle there where you sort of went into an adventure game and had to solve puzzles for the characters there. Then, Isa gathered us all round and threatened to blow us all up with a bomb, or blow up the nearby town. In my dreams, Isa is a mad bomber who throws rad garden parties. Also, I lost my Learn Chinese book in the "lost and found books" wing of her giant beautiful house.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:19 am 
Ninja Master

My mum is so hard to buy christmas presents for. Wants a new cardigan or top but the only one I think she'll like is angora. I know it's not for me and I do buy the odd non vegan present for people but I can't bring myself to buy her a cardy made out of a bunny!

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:01 am 
WRETCHED

baps - that is why I don't do presents. Well its just too hard to buy things for people. My mom mentioned she was admiring someone else's ipad mini and I asked her if she wanted one. She said no.

Yesterday, I had an interesting conversation with a coworker of mine who was raised in a country where Christianity is a minority and she belongs to a non-Christian religion. She says they totally do the whole christmas thing including lights, trees, presents, etc. She also thought I was Jewish for some reason.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:49 am 
Semen Strong

choirqueer wrote:
But for the most part, my non-vegan friends are really cool about my veganism, they respect it, and they're entirely willing to cook something vegan for me or choose a place to eat that has vegan options or that sort of thing.

My non-vegan friends are awesome. They're just not vegan.

I miss hanging out with vegans, talking about veganism and being vegan. I need more vegan moms in my life. I just found another 2 so there is some potential, otherwise PPKers are going to have to move here and get to listening to candyman and knocking up.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:50 am 
Semen Strong

choirqueer wrote:
But for the most part, my non-vegan friends are really cool about my veganism, they respect it, and they're entirely willing to cook something vegan for me or choose a place to eat that has vegan options or that sort of thing.

I miss hanging out with vegans, talking about veganism and being vegan. I need more vegan moms in my life. I just found another 2 so there is some potential, otherwise PPKers are going to have to move here and get to listening to candyman and knocking up.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:06 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I won a blog giveaway! Neat.

Except the email went to spam, so I was one of those people who doesn't respond after they win. Oops.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:14 am 
WRETCHED

I'm not going to get to knocking up.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:25 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

baps wrote:
My mum is so hard to buy christmas presents for. Wants a new cardigan or top but the only one I think she'll like is angora. I know it's not for me and I do buy the odd non vegan present for people but I can't bring myself to buy her a cardy made out of a bunny!

Have you seen the cashmilon stuff in M&S? It's synthetic, but super soft and fluffy.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:35 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I went to a party last night hosted by my dear, dear friend. She cooked everything vegan. Because she is awesome like that. It was interesting to watch her be so frustrated that, despite her asking, no one brought (but me) brought anything vegan. She ended the evening with a better understanding of why I just deal with my own food.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:12 am 

Tofulish wrote:
choirqueer wrote:

Well, a few of us were just discussing the idea of establishing a PPKolony in outer space somewhere...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:15 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Can't focus today. I have a ton of shiitake to do, it's only 10 AM, but I just want to go home, eat veggie burgers and drink wine, and watch Planet of the Apes (the original).

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:19 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

My boss used to be vegan, which I know, I know, may sound annoying, but it has made her hypersensitive to what I can and cannot eat, and she always makes sure that when we have work functions offsite I will have something to eat that isn't super lame. It's really nice because I do get tired of the song and dance of interrogating our server/caterer, but she doesn't mind it at all.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:30 am 
Ninja Master

Ruby Rose wrote:
baps wrote:

Have you seen the cashmilon stuff in M&S? It's synthetic, but super soft and fluffy.

Oh nuts, is it?? I assumed it was made of cashmere, so just kept scrolling down the page! hahah, teaches me for not looking properly.

It's ok I found her a couple of animal free tops in M&S in the end.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:40 am 

vijita wrote:
My boss used to be vegan, which I know, I know, may sound annoying, but it has made her hypersensitive to what I can and cannot eat, and she always makes sure that when we have work functions offsite I will have something to eat that isn't super lame. It's really nice because I do get tired of the song and dance of interrogating our server/caterer, but she doesn't mind it at all.

Yeah, I feel like most of the people I know who used to be vegan still like vegan food and still understand about being vegan. That's super helpful to have someone who knows about it and cares if you eat!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:33 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Ruby Rose wrote:
baps wrote:

I have a cashmilon tunic from M&S, it's lovely and really comfortable to wear.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:37 pm 

Grinch Warning!

Why can't Christmas just be celebrated on CHRISTMAS. Why is it a whole month long thing that I have to keep thinking about and seeing! Argh. Does anything else take over everything like Christmas does? I'm fine with having our cute cozy tree up for a few weeks, but I feel like I've spent all freaking month thinking of gifts. I hate gifts. /rant

ETA: specifically, I hate gifts around thi time because there's so much pressure to get presents for so many people and it's so expensive. I really like giving birthday gifts or gifts for random occasions.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1184, 1185, 1186, 1187, 1188, 1189, 1190 ... 1848  Next