| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: healthy snacks for pregnant ladies
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:54 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Im struggling with finding healthy snacky items for the work day. I went through a very long period of not being able to eat anything due to either morning sickness, the flu, or acid reflux. I just didn’t want to eat. I think I am finally on the other side of that and damnit im hungry!
We have free snackies at work but most of them are NV and the ones that are are granola bars, pretzels, and chex mix. So lots of salty fatty stuff made of white flour and sugar.
I usually bring a half a cuke sliced up and eat that with hummus in the morning. ive started buying soy yogurt. And that’s like literally as far as ive gotten. I guess I could bring MORE veggies and MORE yogurt…..
Any ideas? Nuts maybe?
I still have pretty bad acid reflux so I cant really deal with anything really acidic. That leaves out like all fruit pretty much……
Maybe I should have multiple lunches?
Im trying to eat healthy because obviously I want to get all the proper nutrients and stuff but I also don’t want to gain 800 lbs.

Post subject: Re: healthy snacks for pregnant ladies
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:05 am 
WRETCHED

For my husband, he gets an entree but also 2 sandwiches (1 PB, 1 hummus), a piece of fruit and a yogurt with (previously) frozen berries. How about adding a sandwich? PB, hummus or whatever?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:07 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Nuts fill me up really quickly and they keep me full for a long time. Some almonds should do the trick.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:07 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

nuts are good. anything with protein! snacks don't have to be traditional snacky foods. Sandwiches make great snacks. Tofurkey, PBJ, chickpea, tempeh or tofu salad - those are great with bread or crackers. Also, I know it can be hard to get enough protein during pregnancy, so those cliff builder bars are a pretty good choice and you can buy boxes of them on Amazon for cheaper than in the store.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:21 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Those builder bars have quite a bit of sugar in them which is something LP said she wanted to avoid, they have 4Tbsp of sugar per bar.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:33 am 

fupapack wrote:
Those builder bars have quite a bit of sugar in them which is something LP said she wanted to avoid, they have 4Tbsp of sugar per bar.

just a suggestion for getting in some more protein if she's having trouble. She doesn't have to eat them every day. And anyway, they have about 20 grams of sugar in them, according to the website and there's about 4 grams of sugar per teaspoon, so that's less than 2 tablespoons. I wasn't saying they're the healthiest thing in the world, but definitely an option if you're hungry.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:40 am 
WRETCHED

Bars in general are always great to have on hand. I usually have a Luna bar in my purse whenever my husband and I go somewhere as he will start to get cranky if he is in hungry.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:53 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Yeah that's a typo, personally I wouldn't recommend them though.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:03 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i had a "duh" lightbulb moment with the PBJ suggestion. that's the perfect thing to have and i didnt even think of it so thanks. :-)
i like the NuGo bars. i dont think they are advertised as specifically protein bars but i think they have a good amount of protein in them. (they also arent necessarily "healthy" either but one a day wouldnt be a tragedy)
im trying to eat healthier in general since i wasnt able to eat anything for so long. i literally went at least a week eating mainly campbells veg soup.
i made the everyday quinoa salad from AFR last night as im trying to convince myself that quinoa isnt gross. i think if i dump enough of the balsamic dressing you make with it on it i will be ok. it's got lots of protein and calcium if i remember correctly.

to be honest i havent been thinking much about if ive been getting enough protein or other nutrients. i should probably do that. i hit 20 weeks tomorrow and ive gained MAYBE 2 lbs this entire pregnancy. i see my dr next week for the anatomical u/s so hopefully everything is ok and i survived the prolonged sickness period. ive been eating like a cow the past few days so i guess that is a good sign.

im gonna have to stock up on pbj, bread, nuts, yogurt, hummus, and quinoa (blech).

keep the suggestions coming :-)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:41 am 
WRETCHED

I know quinoa is nice with protein and what not, but you could try other things including using rice instead of quinoa. You could also make a faux chicken salad type thing with tvp, soy curls or similar.

The cool slaw from Appetite for Reduction is a nice snack as well using a cashew based dressing.

I can't remember what cookbooks they are from but I've also had a chickpea/sunflower seed faux chicken salad type thing and a tempeh/sunflower seed faux tuna salad type thing.

Something similar to this:
http://ohsheglows.com/2012/01/16/lunch- ... lad-wraps/
http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-tempeh- ... lad-126365

Last edited by linanil on Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:44 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I keep a snack stash at work in my desk. I have cashews, peanut butter, tomato soup, whole wheat crackers, soy milk, and unsweetened apple sauce. They're all shelf stable and help fill in nutritional gaps.

If you get little individual containers of plant milk, read the nutrition data carefully since many don't fortify the tiny sizes the same way they do the larger sizes.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:43 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

If you like chickpeas, roasted chickpeas are a good choice and you can flavour them differently each time you make them (they're quick to make), so you don't get bored. Also, if you get tired of regular hummus, you can always use other beans (white beans, etc) or add things like roasted peppers.

If you don't like quinoa, don't worry about it! You don't have to eat it! If you are getting protein other ways, then just use a grain you do like. It's better to eat a grain salad with lots of beans and nuts and greens added than it is to end up not eating it because you used quinoa, which you don't enjoy.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:55 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

this is true. i guess a brown rice salad with beans and nuts would equal out the protein aspect.

the everday quinoa salad was actually pretty good if i dumped enough dressing on it.

the cool slaw is a good idea ive been wanting to try that but have a brain block on making cole slaw in the winter.......yes i realize that's weird :-)

i think grapes might be good too. they are in season and though kinda pricey i dont think they will aggravate the acid reflux as much as other fruits.

maybe apple sauce cups. not sure about the apple sauce. that might be acidic......

all great ideas! :-)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:28 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Spread hummus on tortilla. top with shredded carrots or TJ's broccoli slaw. Roll up. (You can slice into pinwheels if you want to eat like a toddler)

Make or buy marinated baked tofu, cut into cubes.

Marinate, skewer, and grill (panini press, foreman, whatever) seitan?

Revolutionary Spanish tortilla from VWAV. Pepper sauce is optional (and maybe too messy for travel). You could throw in some different veg too, probably. Also consider making a quiche or frittata - make extras for dinner to take the next day? But the spanish tortilla is mildly flavored enough that it probably won't gross you out.

Bagel + PB/hummus/tofutti/jam/whatever.

Sprouted bread sammich w/ PB or veggie lunch meat. (For some reason I find the sprouted bread a little more filling/healthful than other things).

Inari - it's not that hard to make your own, since you can get the wrappers in your local Asian supermarket and sushi rice isn't too hard to make...

Edamame

Somebody shared this link when I was looking for something to do with forbidden black rice and I've made it over and over since. http://inmybox.wordpress.com/2008/01/24 ... gratitude/ The avocado is nice and filling and you could add some tofu or beans very easily. It'd make a good lunch of elevenses.

When I was pregnant I inhaled fresh fruit. Couldn't get enough of the stuff. Berries are so good for you!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:11 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

the cashew ricotta from v'con is a good protien-filled snack for when you're completely sick of hommus ;)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:23 pm 
Semen Strong

ijustdiedinside wrote:
fupapack wrote:

just a suggestion for getting in some more protein if she's having trouble. She doesn't have to eat them every day. And anyway, they have about 20 grams of sugar [ETA: This should say protein] in them, according to the website and there's about 4 grams of sugar per teaspoon, so that's less than 2 tablespoons. I wasn't saying they're the healthiest thing in the world, but definitely an option if you're hungry.

Yes, I kept those on my bedside table when I was pregnant and hadn't hit 60 to 80 grams of protein. That 20 grams of protein makes a difference!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:58 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Mmm, yeah, that cashew ricotta is awesome. Drain and mix defrosted frozen spinach into it and add even more nutrtion.

Step 1: cashew ricotta
Step 2: ???
Step 3: happiness

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:05 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I was also gonna suggest roasted chickpeas.
How about some salad rolls? They are so easy to make and transport well! You could fill them with salad stuff and baked tofu or just leftovers!
How about soy curls?
Kale chips?

xo
kittee

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:10 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Tofulish wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:
fupapack wrote:

just a suggestion for getting in some more protein if she's having trouble. She doesn't have to eat them every day. And anyway, they have about 20 grams of sugar [ETA: This should say protein] in them, according to the website and there's about 4 grams of sugar per teaspoon, so that's less than 2 tablespoons. I wasn't saying they're the healthiest thing in the world, but definitely an option if you're hungry.

Yes, I kept those on my bedside table when I was pregnant and hadn't hit 60 to 80 grams of protein. That 20 grams of protein makes a difference!

I think these are an amazing pregnancy snack.

I also loved primal strips during pregnancy. I only like Texas BBQ, though. High in sugar, yes. Tasty, yes.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:13 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

you guys are making me wonder if im getting enough protein.

hmmm......

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:14 pm 

not to derail this thread too much, but I meant to say sugar up there, not protein. there's also 20 grams of protein, but I was responding to fupapack saying there are 4 tablespoons of sugar per bar, so I was just pointing out that there's a lot less than that.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:28 pm 

LisaPunk, maybe ask your doc if they have a pamphlet or something on general pregnancy nutrition. You don't need a TON of information, but some info would be good to have like how much protein and the super important vitamins. There are also a lot of books on the subject and I think there are some threads that talk about specific books for vegetarian moms. It sounds like you're eating pretty healthy when you can, so I'm sure you doing ok overall!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:33 pm 
Semen Strong

Sorry ijdi!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:38 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ijustdiedinside wrote:
LisaPunk, maybe ask your doc if they have a pamphlet or something on general pregnancy nutrition. You don't need a TON of information, but some info would be good to have like how much protein and the super important vitamins. There are also a lot of books on the subject and I think there are some threads that talk about specific books for vegetarian moms. It sounds like you're eating pretty healthy when you can, so I'm sure you doing ok overall!

i have Vegan for Life which has a pregnancy and breast feeding section and i have a book called "your vegetarian pregnancy" or something like that that is very vegan friendly.

i read all the details early in pregnancy im just sort of waking up after being stoopid sick for almost 5 months.
ill have to bust out the books again.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:46 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Protein is a priority.