| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Buttercup squash
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:41 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

My partner went shopping and brought home some beautiful buttercup squash. I've never cooked it before, and while I imagine it will behave much like other winter squash, I'm wondering if you food geniuses (genii?) of the PPK might have suggestions about the best thing(s) to do with them? Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Buttercup squash
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:53 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I use it in ratatouille for a change (with aubergine and courgette). Roasted with beetroot is great (oil, salt). Chestnut and b'nut squash soup is amazing.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:14 pm 
WELFARIST!

I'm actually using a butternut or buttercup squash ("golden beauty" it's called or something like that--it has a sticker) and Imma sub it as pumpkin in the pumpkin and black bean posole from Vegan Eats World this weekend. I also used a butternut last week in one of Chef Chole's recipes--it was a curried stew with lentils and apple. I liked it all right--not my favorite but pretty good. I expect the posole to be oustanding though and I bought a 2 lb. organic butternut for it! Makin' that tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:53 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

seitanicverses wrote:
I'm actually using a butternut or buttercup squash ("golden beauty" it's called or something like that--it has a sticker) and Imma sub it as pumpkin in the pumpkin and black bean posole from Vegan Eats World this weekend. I also used a butternut last week in one of Chef Chole's recipes--it was a curried stew with lentils and apple. I liked it all right--not my favorite but pretty good. I expect the posole to be oustanding though and I bought a 2 lb. organic butternut for it! Makin' that tomorrow.
I don't have Vegan Eats World yet (it's on my Xmas list); report back on the results, and I may have you PM me the recipe!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:42 pm 
WELFARIST!

Desdemona wrote:
seitanicverses wrote:
I don't have Vegan Eats World yet (it's on my Xmas list); report back on the results, and I may have you PM me the recipe!

OK, I'll report back and see if you want to make it yourself. (It's called a "Goldie" butternut squash--I took a better look since posting). I plan on making it tomorrow! <3

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:14 am 
WELFARIST!

I've made stuffed shells with it before. No recipe, I just kind of did it as I went along.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:37 am 
Nailed to the V

I like sweet braised squash (pretty much all the squashes/pumpkins work except spaghetti)

Quarter, seed, peel and cut into 1" chunks
saute/sweat shallots, garlic and ginger in medium pot with splash of olive oil
add squash and couple of T of your favourite sugar and saute over medium heat to glaze the squash (3-4 minutes)
throw in some salt and pepper and cumin/corriander/something spicy like sambal oelek
add about a cup of stock, bring to simmer and cook until tender (5-10 minutes depending on the ripeness and size of pcs)
if needed, turn up heat to evaporate the extra stock til it is a nice viscous sauce
finish with lime juice and serve

It can sit in the fridge for a few days and use as a side for your dinners, or serve over rice/quinoa/millet/etc with some protein of choice.

Aside from the peeling which is a bit of a pain, it is really easy and tastes divine (even cold right out of the fridge).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:55 am 
Seagull of the PPK

this thread inspired me to roast up a large squash (we call it a strawberry, it's like a buttercup only pizza sized). i ate some yesterday with some homemade green tomato chutney. there's a lot of it so it will probably get frozen for later consumption. it was great though.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:37 pm 
WELFARIST!

The pumpkin, black bean and posole stew from Vegan Eats World is quite good and easy to make. Let me know if you want me to PM you the recipe! It makes a LOT. The recipe says four to six and I got six big servings that could be stretched to eight with sides.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:29 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Cut it in half and stuff it!

Use this as a guide for whatever you wish to stuff it with:

http://tastespace.wordpress.com/2012/10 ... and-beans/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:02 am 
Flounceiad 2011

seitanicverses wrote:
The pumpkin, black bean and posole stew from Vegan Eats World is quite good and easy to make. Let me know if you want me to PM you the recipe! It makes a LOT. The recipe says four to six and I got six big servings that could be stretched to eight with sides.
Yes, please; that would be great. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:28 pm 
WELFARIST!

Sorry I missed this yesterday. PM'ing it now! <3 It's really good--so fresh and flavorful and healthy. I said in another thread that I think the toppings are essential and I used every one except cabbage but the toppings just takes it to a new level.

Okay, PM'ing. <3