| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Grilled Cheeze
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:23 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

The American rice vegan slices taste enough like Tofutti in a grilled cheeze, and they seem easier to find. Weird, if you ask me. The stores all carry loads of Tofutti products, so why not the slices?

I want to try that coconut cheese, but coconut vinegar is $9/ small bottle at Wegmans. Is it really worth it? And what else could I do with the vinegar to justify $9?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:27 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

erinwyso wrote:
lepelaar wrote:
Holy moly! My mouth started watering and my stomach started rumbling when I saw your pictures, erinwyso!

Thank you! This cheese is really amazing, and perfect as a soy- and nut-free cheese. I make and eat it all the time.

Erin, your pics look awesome, but I can't help but be so skeptical! I really do not like coconut flavor in anything that isn't supposed to have it, you know? I guess I should just try it because it's pretty cheap to make, but I'm just so sick of coconut flavored things!

Has anyone has luck making this with another type of vinegar? Personally, I feel like vinegar is vinegar, especially in that super small amount, but if coconut vinegar is super critical, I will seek it out.

ETA:: nevermind about my question. I just read the comments on your blog!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:05 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

lavawitch wrote:
The American rice vegan slices taste enough like Tofutti in a grilled cheeze, and they seem easier to find. Weird, if you ask me. The stores all carry loads of Tofutti products, so why not the slices?

I want to try that coconut cheese, but coconut vinegar is $9/ small bottle at Wegmans. Is it really worth it? And what else could I do with the vinegar to justify $9?

A good-sized portion of cheese only requires a tsp of the vinegar, so it will last forever. I've made ridiculous amounts of this cheese from one single bottle.

My tumblr

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:14 pm 

ijustdiedinside wrote:
erinwyso wrote:
lepelaar wrote:
Holy moly! My mouth started watering and my stomach started rumbling when I saw your pictures, erinwyso!

Thank you! This cheese is really amazing, and perfect as a soy- and nut-free cheese. I make and eat it all the time.

Erin, your pics look awesome, but I can't help but be so skeptical! I really do not like coconut flavor in anything that isn't supposed to have it, you know? I guess I should just try it because it's pretty cheap to make, but I'm just so sick of coconut flavored things!

Has anyone has luck making this with another type of vinegar? Personally, I feel like vinegar is vinegar, especially in that super small amount, but if coconut vinegar is super critical, I will seek it out.

ETA:: nevermind about my question. I just read the comments on your blog!

If you try it out, I hope you enjoy it! It's good stuff!

My tumblr

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:52 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I love mine with mozzarella Daiya and instead of butter I use tahini oh my!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:56 pm 

erinwyso wrote:

I am going to give it a shot. There was one comment saying it was awful with ACV and another saying it was good, so I'll probably give it a try with my fancy, organic ACV and report back.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:58 pm 

ijustdiedinside wrote:
erinwyso wrote:

I am going to give it a shot. There was one comment saying it was awful with ACV and another saying it was good, so I'll probably give it a try with my fancy, organic ACV and report back.

Yay! I'd love to hear how it goes. : )

My tumblr

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:23 pm 
Chard Martyr

ijustdiedinside wrote:
erinwyso wrote:

I too was amazed with the photos (and the innovation!), but I really don't like coconut that much. Does the taste really come through?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:45 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

erinwyso wrote:
happyfaced wrote:
quark wrote:
I want an ooey, gooey grilled cheese filling that's cashew-based and doesn't have too much nooch. Is that so much to ask for?

if you have agar powder you can try erinwyso's smoky cashew cheese. it's not overly noochy and super yum!

opps - i just saw you've had bad experiences with agar. sorry, quark! i bet you might be able to add cornstarch and heat up over the stove for something super thick-like and gooey. it might be worth a try.

Thanks happyfaced! Quark, have you ever experimented with coconut cheese and vinegar? I make it all the time, and have a couple of recipes on my blog if you are interested.

oh my that one got me hungry!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:17 pm 
Inflexitarian

Hm, I'm not sure if I get coconut vinegar here, but those sandwiches look awesome, so I'll definitely look!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:25 pm 

vijita wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:
erinwyso wrote:

I too was amazed with the photos (and the innovation!), but I really don't like coconut that much. Does the taste really come through?

Nope -- once the vinegar hits it, the flavor is immediately transformed into cheesiness (think queso blanco dip)

My tumblr

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:30 pm 

quark wrote:
Hm, I'm not sure if I get coconut vinegar here, but those sandwiches look awesome, so I'll definitely look!

I had a comment on my blog from someone who used white balsamic vinegar (in case that is easier to find) positive results, and blogged about it: http://sweetroots.blogspot.com/2012/06/vegan-quesadillas-homemade-coconut-milk.html

My tumblr

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:09 pm 

I made the coconut cheese using oranic acv. It really didn't taste like coconut! It smelled like follow your heart, but I think I don't like the taste of tapioca. It had the same flavor that I haven't liked about the cheese from the artisan vegan cheese book. Interesting! So, I wasn't a huge fan, but it definitely had a cheesy taste that surprised me.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:07 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I am so going to make Erin's coconut cheese too! Will visit my local ethnic grocery store asap to check for coconut vinegar.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:21 pm 

ijustdiedinside wrote:
I made the coconut cheese using oranic acv. It really didn't taste like coconut! It smelled like follow your heart, but I think I don't like the taste of tapioca. It had the same flavor that I haven't liked about the cheese from the artisan vegan cheese book. Interesting! So, I wasn't a huge fan, but it definitely had a cheesy taste that surprised me.

Thanks for trying! Sorry you were underwhelmed, but thanks for the feedback.

My tumblr

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:28 pm 
Saggy Butt

I just happened to be in the vicinity of the largest Asian grocery store here today and found coconut vinegar, 750 mL for $3.50. It has stuff floating in the bottom - I assume that's normal like other natural vinegars?

I cannot read a vegan cheese recipe without needing to try it. I will get back to you in a few days once I have tried this one.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:36 pm 

erinwyso wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:

It's ok! no need to apologize. It's actually cool that I've realized that for whatever reason I don't like the taste of tapioca. Explains why I don't like daiya either! I ate the rest of the cheese today in a grilled cheese with diced jalapenos and franks hot sauce and totally fulfilled my grilled cheese craving. It's definitely amazing that those few ingredients make a cheese like food.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:37 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

ijustdiedinside wrote:

Isn't Daiya made of tapioca? Just curious as I haven't tried this recipe yet, but I'm not a huge Daiya fan so I'd be curious to see if that's maybe tapioca is what turns me off about it. I'll definitely give it a go soon.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:37 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I made my mom a grilled tofutti sandwich for lunch and she was so happy- she's lactose intolerant, so she never has anything like Kraft slices anymore. She's going to get herself some tofutti!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:39 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

dur, we must've posted at the same time ijustdiedinside!

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:41 pm 

Quarantined wrote:
dur, we must've posted at the same time ijustdiedinside!

hehe, yeah! so, maybe that is it?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:54 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

It must be. I love vegan detective work. The intrigue!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:06 pm 

Arisaig wrote:
I just happened to be in the vicinity of the largest Asian grocery store here today and found coconut vinegar, 750 mL for $3.50. It has stuff floating in the bottom - I assume that's normal like other natural vinegars?

I cannot read a vegan cheese recipe without needing to try it. I will get back to you in a few days once I have tried this one.

Cool! Yeah, my bottle has gunk floating in the bottom too. Would love to hear your feedback! I have tons of posts about different types of coconut cheese you can make under my homemade vegan cheese tag.

My tumblr

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:11 pm 

ijustdiedinside wrote:
erinwyso wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:

It's ok! no need to apologize. It's actually cool that I've realized that for whatever reason I don't like the taste of tapioca. Explains why I don't like daiya either! I ate the rest of the cheese today in a grilled cheese with diced jalapenos and franks hot sauce and totally fulfilled my grilled cheese craving. It's definitely amazing that those few ingredients make a cheese like food.

Oh, I love Daiya. Way. Too. Much. Yes, tapioca does have a particular taste to it, but it doesn't bother me. Glad that the leftovers were good -- the next time I make coconut milk queso, I'm going to add jalapenos and hot sauce, what a great idea!

My tumblr

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:13 am 
Saggy Butt

erinwyso wrote:
Cool! Yeah, my bottle has gunk floating in the bottom too. Would love to hear your feedback! I have tons of posts about different types of coconut cheese you can make under my homemade vegan cheese tag.

Ooh that will keep me busy for a while.

Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next