| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: rau Om's tofu misozuke in Denver, NYC
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:40 pm 
Tofu Pup

Just wanted to let folks know that Rau Om's tofu misozuke is now on the store shelves at Fairway markets on the UES and UWS and at Nooch Vegan Market (a new case is headed their way this week, to be there by 11/30 for sure) in Denver.

We're still on the shelves at Rainbow Grocery in SF, New Leaf Community Markets in San Jose & Santa Cruz, Sacred Wheel in Oakland/Berkeley and Takahashi's Market in San Mateo. Do say hello if you happen to pass by our stall at the Palo Alto Farmers' Market on California Avenue in Palo Alto.

more information about our tofu misozuke: http://www.rauom.com/goodies/tofu-misozuke/

Take care,
Dang

Post subject: Re: rau Om's tofu misozuke in Denver, NYC
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:47 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Any plans to expand to other stores in NYC? I'm not near either of those Fairways, sadly, but am definitely curious about this.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:09 pm 
Tofu Pup

What a perfectly timed question! Thank you! We're sending out cases of tofu misozuke on Monday to Fairway Markets in Plainview and Pelham, in addition to the UES and UWS stores.

If you'd like to suggest a store, please let me know and I'll try to get the buyer there interested.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:09 pm 

Availability at Whole Foods would be ideal (Chelsea, Union Square, Bowery), as those stores are the closest to me. Any intention to get distribution there?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:03 pm 
Tofu Pup

I will see what I can do with Whole Foods. They have expressed interest in carrying tofu misozuke before, but things are proceeding slowly.

Meanwhile, we're packing tofu misozuke for the Kipps Bay Fairway store, which is quite a bit closer to your neighborhood if I read my maps right.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:14 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

The 4th Street food co-op might be a good place to try. It's a small store, so it might be easier to get your product in there. You could also potentially contact Vegan Bodega https://www.facebook.com/VeganBodega They don't have a store front, but they sell at local markets like Vegan Shop-Up (www.veganshopup.com)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:04 pm 

I can't wait to see where you expand – I'd never trust myself to make this stuff properly on my own!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:35 pm 
Tofu Pup

@ijustdiedinside - Thanks for the suggestions; we probably wouldn't be able to connect with the stores until after the holidays. It'll be crazy from now on.

@alice1drland - thanks for the encouragement! This has been a crazy ride; I have no idea what we originally expected but clearly that's all been cast aside.

The final tally for tofu misozuke to show up at Fairway Markets this weekend is now: UES, UWS, Harlem, Kipp Bay, Parasmus, Pelham, Plainview, Stamfod and Woodland Park .

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:00 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Ooh, I was hoping for Woodland Park. I'll keep an eye out for it!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:08 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

RauOmDang wrote:
We're still on the shelves at Rainbow Grocery in SF, New Leaf Community Markets in San Jose & Santa Cruz, Sacred Wheel in Oakland/Berkeley and Takahashi's Market in San Mateo. Do say hello if you happen to pass by our stall at the Palo Alto Farmers' Market on California Avenue in Palo Alto.

more information about our tofu misozuke: http://www.rauom.com/goodies/tofu-misozuke/

Oh hey, I just spotted it at the New Leaf downtown and wondered what it was. I think we're having something for dinner that would work with tofu misozuke. I'll give it a try.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:50 pm 
Tofu Pup

Fairway Market Westbury too.

Thanks for giving it a try!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:58 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Oh man. That was good.

We got 2 packages (lumps? pieces? What do you call it? you should offer a larger lump size for enthusiasts who want to share) and a baguette (which I sliced fairly thinly) and it was amazing.

Back in the day before I realized what was giving me such terrible stomach issues, I liked cheese. I liked creamy tangy cheeses and delicious aged cheeses... This is the closest I have come to that aged blue-veined French cheese flavor. There's more to it than that, of course, and while the texture is creamy, the flavor isn't, quite. C&S says it's quite miso-y, but I don't get as much of that as I do delicious fermented tang. The Roquefort comparison is pretty accurate.

7 bucks for 2.5 ounces puts it on the expensive side. I like the little bamboo trays it comes in-- I see that it's quite soft, and packing it without some kind of structure around the lump would mean it just squished out all over the place, but now I'm not quite sure what to do with these little wooden tray thingies. 8) They'll probably end up on my model-building workbench, holding tiny parts or mixed paint or something. The thin paper wrapper ripped quite easily when I unwrapped the misozuke, and in a couple of places I had to pick little bits of it out of the lump. This is a pretty minor complaint, but I can see unwary unwrappers finding themselves with paper in their mouths.

Anyway, I recommend the hell out of this stuff. It is expensive-- for the amount, more expensive than comparable cheeses. I hope that if it picks up in popularity the cost will drop a bit. I expect it won't end up CHEAP, and I despair of cheap tofu misozuke in the same way as I despaired of cheap cheeses back in the day. But for a special dinner or a treat? Yeah. Go for it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:57 pm 

Iii want this so badlyyyy. I need to un-lazy myself and take a long train ride.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:07 am 
Tofu Pup

@solipsistnation thanks so much for the kind words. Lower prices and sturdier packaging are issues I'm always mindful of and thinking about. The bamboo canoes are cute, but they are sustainable and degradeable so don't feel too bad about tossing them out.

@alice1drland if you can wait until this weekend, there will be a Fairway Market closer to you that will stock tofu misozuke I think.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:01 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I get it at Nooch and it's awesome! Thanks for making it!