| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12029 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85 ... 482  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:21 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

New Dairy Free sorbet!*

*contains dairy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:23 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

karichelle wrote:
The brand that a lot of other places use is the one that the shop I patronize uses. :) They are proud of the fact that it's dairy free and also mark all their gluten free flavors. They are a few cents more expensive per ounce so I guess they are trying to target other markets that the chain shops don't care about.

oh that's cool! do they have kiwi strawberry flavor? it's my favorite!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:36 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

this whole sorbet containing dairy is a tad upsetting.
i thought the whole point of sorbet is that it was dairy free?????
ive never double checked sorbet cause i thought the definition of sorbet was dairy free????

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:50 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I don't think I've had Kiwi Strawberry yet, but I really like the watermelon and pomegranate.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:58 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

LisaPunk wrote:
this whole sorbet containing dairy is a tad upsetting.
i thought the whole point of sorbet is that it was dairy free?????
ive never double checked sorbet cause i thought the definition of sorbet was dairy free????

Unfortunately not. Also, a lot of recipes for home-made sorbet contain egg-white, so you probably need to ask about that too in places that make their own, since a lot of people don't seem to consider eggs as dairy.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:09 pm 

also, some ice cream stabilizers have gelatin, so some sorbets have that in it, too. but that's sort of rare. However, sorbet made in restaurants often uses those gelatin based stabilizers. i found that out working in a fancy restaurant.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:52 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

boooooo.....

dairy is really pissing me off today. first this and then we got takeout for dinner and my husband specifically told them on the phone NO FETA on my sammich and my sammich came full of feta

AHHHHHHHH!!!

I HATE YOU DAIRY!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:50 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

ijustdiedinside wrote:
also, some ice cream stabilizers have gelatin, so some sorbets have that in it, too. but that's sort of rare. However, sorbet made in restaurants often uses those gelatin based stabilizers. i found that out working in a fancy restaurant.

Oh no! I like having sorbet in fancy restaurants. Boo.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:52 pm 

they might not! you just have to ask. the restaurant I worked in had been telling people their sorbet was vegan until I pointed out that it wasnt. they didn't even realize the stabilizer they were using contained gelatin. so now i'm wary.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:07 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

The amount of upset I am about this sorbet in fancy restaurants thing is not in proportion to how much this affects my life. I don't often eat in a fancy restaurant, but having sorbet is just one of the things that makes it more exciting since most places you can't get dessert. And it *was* nice to be able to get something on the menu without having to ask a bunch of weird questions about it (like everything else).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:08 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Well great, I guess we'll all just be having the fruit plate for dessert now. *grumble*

Anyway. Omnivore houseguests.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:18 pm 
Naked Under Apron

The past few years, my landlords have given me a big box of cheese and sausage from the university's School of Agriculture as a holiday present. This year, though, they gave me a potted African violet. I've never been able to keep potted plants alive for long, but I'll give it a try. It's better than the cheese and sausage box. (The box also always had a jar of "dipping mustard" that had egg yolk as an ingredient.)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:29 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Angelina wrote:
Chicki wrote:
annak wrote:

When I was working for a software company, our holiday parties were actually f'ing awesome. They were fancy without being obligatorily formal (software developers. No matter how fancy the party, some of them are still going to be in tshirts and sweatpants.), had good food and lots and lots of wine. Good time had by all.

I work for a software company and we don't have anything awesome. Ever.

Including the software.

Credit Unions can be cool too. When I worked there, I managed to convince the event planners (and they have lots of events!) that to be in line with the credit union's commitment to the environment, they had to have all their events catered by a vegan chef. They agreed and they are still using the same vegan chef, even though I no longer work there.

I worked as a server/bartender for many years, and usually the smaller, family-owned companies rocked Christmas parties the best. Buffalo Alice, a pizza place I worked at in Sioux City, IA for many years, had the most fun, dancing-on-the-tables, drink-anything-you-want-from-the-bar, guilt-and-shame built right in the next day, best, most kick-ass holiday parties ever. If you like that kind of thing. Most of us really, really did. Legendary.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:35 pm 

kimba wrote:
The amount of upset I am about this sorbet in fancy restaurants thing is not in proportion to how much this affects my life. I don't often eat in a fancy restaurant, but having sorbet is just one of the things that makes it more exciting since most places you can't get dessert. And it *was* nice to be able to get something on the menu without having to ask a bunch of weird questions about it (like everything else).

aw man, i feel really bad now! not that any of us want to be eating gelatin, but it sucks to learn this stuff. I agree that it's really nice to just not have to ask about a few items. I totally ate the sorbet at this restaurant before I worked (interned) there. But the good thing was that they asked me to help them find a vegan stabilizer and I found a few that seemed widely available, so it's totally possibly that lots of other places wouldn't have gelatin.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:03 pm 
Nooch of Earl

ijustdiedinside wrote:
kimba wrote:
aw man, i feel really bad now! not that any of us want to be eating gelatin, but it sucks to learn this stuff. I agree that it's really nice to just not have to ask about a few items. I totally ate the sorbet at this restaurant before I worked (interned) there. But the good thing was that they asked me to help them find a vegan stabilizer and I found a few that seemed widely available, so it's totally possibly that lots of other places wouldn't have gelatin.

It would hurt less if the fruit plate weren't mostly canteloupe.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:13 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Well, at least there is Tutti Fruti...Only if one was closer to me! The soy option is really creamy!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:26 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

My veg box is skipping a week the week it's christmas, so this week they gave us a box of stuff supposedly worth double the value. They included items like sauerkraut and pasta so you wouldn't have to worry about a fridge full of produce going bad. So far, so good. I was worried that the pasta might have eggs so I immediately read the package when I picked up. Squid ink. It has squid ink. Great!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:57 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I can't believe anyone is upset that sorbet might contain dairy. Sorbet sucks!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:59 am 
WRETCHED

I love sorbet, what is wrong with sorbet?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:06 am 
Seagull of the PPK

god that dairy-free soft serve was my first big vegan heartbreak. it was saving my asparagus in the beginning then i found out dairy free meant includes whey, apparently.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:21 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

linanil wrote:

I must have had lotas of bad sorbet then. Isn't it just more or less chunks of flavoured ice that you sometimes get instead of real ice cream?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:24 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

linanil wrote:

I always thought sorbet beat ice-cream hands down. Of course, my first experience of ice-cream was in the '70s when we didn't even have a freezer, just a shitty compartment at the top of the fridge, and would get Walls vanilla which tasted like nothing much, but I maintain that concentrated fruity sweetness is still better than creamy blah.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:36 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i think i dodged a bullet this holiday season. we get an Xmas gift from the company i work for every year. usually it is a jacket of some sort with the company logo on it. two years ago a Honey Baked Dead Pig showed up at my house and i was completely mortified.
since they usually dont do the same thing 2 years in a row i didnt think to say anything the following year and then i ended up with a second dead pig whcih that year i had a REALLY hard time getting rid of.
this year i thought ahead and asked the manager in charge of this if they were doing dead pigs and asked to be kept off the dead pig list since it goes against everything i believe in.
at the time she said they didnt know what they were doing but she would certainly do that if they did the hams.
i didnt think they were doing the hams this year because we are getting vests and there have been no payments made to Honey Baked Ham in the accounting system so i thought i was safe.
apparently we are still getting hams and they were sent out yesterday. those of us who work in the home office will probably get ours next thursday at the holiday party.
fingers crossed they remembered i dont want one!
i dont have faith in these people!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:09 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Efcliz wrote:
linanil wrote:

I must have had lotas of bad sorbet then. Isn't it just more or less chunks of flavoured ice that you sometimes get instead of real ice cream?

It definitely shouldn't be chunky! Nor icy. Just smooth cold delicious fruitiness.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:27 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Yeah, sometimes sorbet can really hit the spot. We have a Ben and Jerry's ice cream social, and they brought mango sorbet. I had like, 4 scoops. It was amazing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12029 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85 ... 482  Next