| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46434 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1187, 1188, 1189, 1190, 1191, 1192, 1193 ... 1858  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:29 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Homemade bread is the damn thing. A woman my mother used to work with made loaves of homemade white bread for tons of people every year and I still remember how good it was.
Throw some Manos on in the background to really get into the seasonal spirit. You can start charging people to come to your gift making parties and you'll end up making money.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:31 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Did we lose some posts today or is it just me? I started a thread and now it's gone without a trace. If the mods don't want it up, that's fine, but I'm kind of curious what happened.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:11 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Poopy, have you seen this book? It's interactive and a lot of fun to read aloud.

Press Here by Herve Tullet
From Publishers Weekly
Quote:
"Tullet's brilliant creation proves that books need not lose out to electronic wizardry; his colorful dots perform every bit as engagingly as any on the screen of an iPad. 'Ready?' the voiceover-style narration asks on the first page; it shows a yellow dot on a plain white background. 'Press here and turn the page,' it instructs. When the page is turned, there's a second yellow dot beside the first one. 'Great!' it says. 'Now press the yellow dot again.' A third yellow dot appears beside the first two. 'Perfect,' the narrator continues. 'Rub the dot on the left... gently.' On the next page, voila! — that dot is now red. 'Well done!' the book congratulates. The fun continues as the dots proliferate, travel around the page, grow and shrink in response to commands to clap, shake, or tilt the book, etc. The joy is in the tacit agreement between artist and reader that what's happening is magic. Shh! Don't tell. All ages. (Apr.)" Publishers Weekly (Copyright PWyxz LLC)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:38 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Tofulish wrote:
I hate the Giving Tree. SO FREAKING MUCH. Its a barely/thinly veiled metaphor for the martyr mother.

I want to vomit whenever I see it and I wish I could unsee it forever.

This actually makes a ton of sense. #mommyissues

ETA: I'm actually freaking out a bit how much sense this makes. Of course a martyr mom would wreck me. Not that I need a martyr, just not a narcissist.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:00 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I'm definitely getting sick of all the Christmas stuff. And when I posted something about that on facebook, some people started telling me that I should just make myself love Christmas, because Christmas is full of love, or something like that. I'm fine with the love and peace on earth, goodwill toward man part. I'm just sick of the lights and songs and Santa.

My body is objecting to the cold weather, too. Every time I go outside, my muscles tense up, and it's making everything hurt.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:49 pm 
Chard Martyr

I cancelled my cable tv and got netflix. I don't watch tv enough to justify the price of cable/dvr.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:09 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I've been up all night for the past few nights because of the dog's kennel cough. She does the awful harsh sounding cough all through the night. Neither one of us sleeps, and it really sucks.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:32 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Well, the semester is over and I'm three measly points short of an A in my history class. UGH.

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:36 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

ndpittman wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:
Are they into cooking/helping out in the kitchen at all? I had this idea to get my friends kids a small mixing bowl and mini spatula and some cute muffin papers and then a jar of homemade muffin mix.

Oh my goodness! That is such a cute idea! Hmm. . . I will have to investigate this--thanks for sharing!

If you can face Ikea at this time of year, they do some great 'real' kid-sized Montessori-style baking stuff in their children's department.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:17 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

ijustdiedinside wrote:
acr wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:
Grinch Warning!

Why can't Christmas just be celebrated on CHRISTMAS. Why is it a whole month long thing that I have to keep thinking about and seeing! Argh. Does anything else take over everything like Christmas does? I'm fine with having our cute cozy tree up for a few weeks, but I feel like I've spent all freaking month thinking of gifts. I hate gifts. /rant

ETA: specifically, I hate gifts around thi time because there's so much pressure to get presents for so many people and it's so expensive. I really like giving birthday gifts or gifts for random occasions.

awww, i love christmas time in new york. everyone looks all snuggly in their hats and mittens, and the lights and decorations that go up over the streets are so pretty, and when you walk by a cluster of trees for sale on the sidewalk the smell stays with you all the way down the block. but it's a low-pressure time for me, because i don't have a circle of gifting friends. one person has a holiday party every year, and we pass around some little silly things, but mostly it's about drinking and wearing garlands. my sister demands a physical gift, and i buy something nice for my cousin because i love her like a daughter, but i can usually get away with just taking my parents out to a nice dinner or something, and that's it. so, have fewer/worse friends, i guess, and all your problems will be solved.

I think I'd be fine with it if it weren't for the gift giving. I think it's also because it's kind of culture shock for me since I'm Jewish and I didn't celebrate Christmas at all until I started dating my husband and he had all these gift giving traditions with people. I think it's super great that I'm included in that now, but my family never made a big deal about gifts. we didn't even do chanukkah presents after middle school. So, I've just never been immersed in this gift giving culture. Also, I don't have a job, so we're kinda struggling right now and I don't think any of our friends know that. I just really like celebrating at home, making cinnamon rolls on Christmas morning and also making latkes during Hanukkah.

I like Christmas and I kind of like gifts, but I think it is utterly ridiculous how much money we spend on them. It's like this polar feeling of "hey, it's Christmas! We all go in debt at Christmas. Ho ho ho." and "can someone please shoot me because I am many, many dollars in debt?".

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:45 am 
Seagull of the PPK

poopiebitch wrote:
It's taken me years and years, but I've pretty much taught my friends and family that I love them, and I want to celebrate with them, but I don't do gifts.

this is exactly what we are. I grew up with gifts and holidays being a total panic-attack-inducing chaos. MrT grew up without presents, without money, and not Christian. We give presents to each other when we see them and think they'd be welcomed. My family got used to it, slowly.....

I also hear you on the "too much" for kids, and I agree entirely, but it's hard to balance for the kid as they get older.... FC just turned 13 and she got tired of hearing about the heaps of presents her friends got, so we decided to do the advent calendar with small, useful things every day- hair elastics, clips for her drawings, makeup things that I would buy if she asked me anytime, but now she also gets to feel a little less "different" because at least she "gets stuff". I hate this part of the holidays.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:29 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

It is cold in my house. The bottle of olive oil on the table has solidified.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:29 am 

Also, I really need to pee, but I'm waiting for my veg bag to be delivered. She'd normally have been here by now, so I don't want to go in case I'm mid flow and the doorbell rings. Gah!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:31 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

torque wrote:
poopiebitch wrote:
It's taken me years and years, but I've pretty much taught my friends and family that I love them, and I want to celebrate with them, but I don't do gifts.

this is exactly what we are. I grew up with gifts and holidays being a total panic-attack-inducing chaos. MrT grew up without presents, without money, and not Christian. We give presents to each other when we see them and think they'd be welcomed. My family got used to it, slowly.....

I also hear you on the "too much" for kids, and I agree entirely, but it's hard to balance for the kid as they get older.... FC just turned 13 and she got tired of hearing about the heaps of presents her friends got, so we decided to do the advent calendar with small, useful things every day- hair elastics, clips for her drawings, makeup things that I would buy if she asked me anytime, but now she also gets to feel a little less "different" because at least she "gets stuff". I hate this part of the holidays.

I wondered about that! Wilson's family had gifts, I think, but it was more about going to church. I have a hilarious picture of him when I woke him up (at the crack of 10 am) and shouted that SANTA WAS HERE and made him open presents. He's like, what is this? What's happening? And I'm wired from too much coffee because I'd been up for hours, and I just keep screaming, "WILSON! SANTA CAME! SANTA CAME!"

Man, I miss that kid.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:37 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

torque wrote:
poopiebitch wrote:

this is exactly what we are.

I am a very happy member of the No Gifts Club. As young adults/late teens, my siblings and I agreed to not exchange gifts, which made us all so happy. We did gifts with our parents for a few more years and then quit that too. My partner and I don't even exchange christmas gifts any more. I've trained all my friends to know I don't do christmas gifts. The trick is to be really firm with new friends when they give a christmas gift. There is this temptation to reciprocate just this once, but if you do, they will buy you a gift again next year and you will get sucked back in to the hideous christmas vortex! I tell them "Thank you, this is very thoughtful of you, and I really appreciate your intent, but you need to know that I absolutely do not do christmas gifts. Please, if you care about me, don't do this again next year."

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:01 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I called the oral surgeon's office to schedule a work up before my surgery (early January!) and the scheduling woman goes, "Oh, I didn't tell you?" What the fork? "It's next Tuesday, at 7 am."

So we had to set up the ride, and I have finals next Tuesday, so now I'm frantically emailing teachers that I might be late and hoping the work up doesn't take too long. Boston is a two and a half hour ride for me, so I have to get up wicked early, and this forks up just about everything. I wouldn't have scheduled it on that day or that early but now it's too forking late to change it.

And I'm having a hard time getting someone to accompany me for the surgery itself. I have to have an adult and my sister flaked on me. She came up with some lame, "Oh if you stay overnight, I can't go. I have appointments the next day." Very vague. She was the one who promised me up and down she would go and then she took a shiitake all over that. Mom? If she "has to", she will, but there's a laundry list of ridiculous excuses that add up to "it would be kind of not fun".

And I have work later today and can't stop panicking because I'm sure I'm going to be fired any day now. I would like to leave this job very much but the thought of actually being told I suck is making me nervous.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:35 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

GymClassZero wrote:
And I have work later today and can't stop panicking because I'm sure I'm going to be fired any day now. I would like to leave this job very much but the thought of actually being told I suck is making me nervous.

*hugs* I have been on both sides of that one. I was in a horrible job and I just knew I was going to get fired any day. What I did, besides of course looking for another job before getting the axe, was to take all my stuff home. When they fired me and allowed me to pick up my bag, they told me they would have the rest of my things shipped home. I told them "That's fine, I took everyhing home already". They were surprised that I knew and planned for it in advance, and in a small way it was me telling them "I am not stupid, you know?"

Usually the part about how much we suck comes before the firing, when they try to motivate you to get better by making you feel like an idiot. I had never been fired before, and since I hated the job so much, it felt like I was free...floating...happy...I hope it's the same for you.

And on the manager's side of the issue, I have had to fire two people and believe it or not, unless your manager is totally heartless, it's very hard to do. I was told not to go into any detail because, really, what's the point? It was just a "This is not working out. Today is your last day". And then I was told to bolt from the room and let HR pick up the pieces. Once I had to go back into the firing room after the deed, and the young woman I fired was crying...I had to leave quickly because I was crying too!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:39 am 

Angelina wrote:
GymClassZero wrote:

*hugs* I have been on both sides of that one. I was in a horrible job and I just knew I was going to get fired any day. What I did, besides of course looking for another job before getting the axe, was to take all my stuff home. When they fired me and allowed me to pick up my bag, they told me they would have the rest of my things shipped home. I told them "That's fine, I took everyhing home already". They were surprised that I knew and planned for it in advance, and in a small way it was me telling them "I am not stupid, you know?"

I had a similar situation! I wasn't going to quit a job I hated, but I hated it so much that I couldn't help but do a terrible job at it, so I was kinda waiting around to get fired. When I did, it still sucked to have people tell me I sucked, but I hardly had anything there and when they said "sorry, but we can't let you back on your computer. if there are any files you need we'll get them for you" and I had always deleted everything at the end of the day including my browser history and everything so I was able to just said "oh, I never saved anything on there"

I also got to tell them it was the worst job I ever had, so that was fun. I still cried as soon as I left, but it was definitely a good thing overall.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:47 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I was just asked the most absurd question in the history of my time on earth.
"If you were body swapped would you eat meat, because it isn't going in your body...?"
Umm... thanks for not getting it.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:53 am 

kfad wrote:
"If you were body swapped would you eat meat, because it isn't going in your body...?"

HAHA. that's sort of awesome. At least it's original(ish)?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:16 pm 

I've had the heating on for about 3 hours. I've had the gas stove on for some of that time too. I've got the door closed and a draught excluder at the bottom of the door. I'm wearing my coat, hat, scarf and several layers of clothes under that, and I'm still cold. Thank fork I'm going out soon!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:34 pm 
WELFARIST!

kfad wrote:

Wow, what the hell? I don't even.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:35 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Help me, I'm awkward. Yesterday I got a voicemail from a potential employer and they asked me to call them back. I did, about an hour after the call when I got home. She didn't pick up, so I decided to wait a bit and try again. I called again, no answer, so I left a message saying I would try again but that I would also be available to talk for the rest of the day. It was kind of awkward at the the end, because I started saying "and..." and realized I didn't have anything else to say so I was like, "and... ...yeah!" Thanks! Bye!" I hope it didn't make the person say "not calling this idiot back."

Anyway. What does a normal person do in this situation? I'm thinking I'll call one more time today, and if nothing happens I assume they aren't interested after all. Do I leave another message if I get voicemail? Or just assume that they have caller ID and know it was me?

My boyfriend's like, CALL THEM CALL THEM DO IT DOOO ITTTT CALL THEM but I tend to feel that the whole job-seeking thing is a little bit more like dating. You can't be obsessively calling a potential employer or they'll be turned off, right?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:40 pm 

bathsheba wrote:
Help me, I'm awkward. Yesterday I got a voicemail from a potential employer and they asked me to call them back. I did, about an hour after the call when I got home. She didn't pick up, so I decided to wait a bit and try again. I called again, no answer, so I left a message saying I would try again but that I would also be available to talk for the rest of the day. It was kind of awkward at the the end, because I started saying "and..." and realized I didn't have anything else to say so I was like, "and... ...yeah!" Thanks! Bye!" I hope it didn't make the person say "not calling this idiot back."

Anyway. What does a normal person do in this situation? I'm thinking I'll call one more time today, and if nothing happens I assume they aren't interested after all. Do I leave another message if I get voicemail? Or just assume that they have caller ID and know it was me?

My boyfriend's like, CALL THEM CALL THEM DO IT DOOO ITTTT CALL THEM but I tend to feel that the whole job-seeking thing is a little bit more like dating. You can't be obsessively calling a potential employer or they'll be turned off, right?

if they don't c all you back by this afternoon, give them a call back and DO leave another message asking them to call you back. You should definitely call back and leave a message. Two phone messages is hardly obsessive. I know this stuff sucks. I get panic attacks about phone calls, but I also know intellectually that's it's ok to just call back. If you don't hear back tomorrow, then give them another call on Monday. You won't seem obsessive.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:42 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Yeah, definitely call again! For what it's worth, I think a lot of people are a little awkward at voicemail, I can't see a little thing like that making a potential employer not call you back.

I guess I have a Twitter now

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46434 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1187, 1188, 1189, 1190, 1191, 1192, 1193 ... 1858  Next