| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Feeding vegan kids
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:15 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Aubade wrote:

I think it is definitely some psychological thing with kai, not that he doesn't like the food. I gave him the chili/potatoes twice after I last posted, and both times at first he cried his face off not wanting to take a bite. But then he finally tried one bite and was like "mmmmm!" Then he proceeded to eat it. So go figure.

Same here- there are things, if I can just get a smidge of it past his lips, even a crumb- I know he will like it. Sometimes I want to tie his arms down and force him to taste things because I know he will eat the shiitake out of it from then on.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:55 pm 
Married to the wolfman

That pea spread sounds good... Like something I'd want to eat.

The Emperor is really anti-bean lately. Again, it's psychological, if I can get them in his mouth he loves them. But if he can visually identify it as a bean, or you tell him it has beans in it, no way Jose.

So you will understand that I nearly cried when he eyed his soymilk suspiciously this morning and then told me, "Daddy said this is made out of beans.". Really Daddy? What were you thinking?

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:30 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

How much "You need to try X number of bites"-type stuff do you guys do?

I keep going back and forth about whether I think this is a good idea. On one hand, I think Westley really DOES need to try the things I cook. On the other hand, I hate there being a lot of "have to"s around eating. Both my partner and I have some pretty serious issues around food (which we're working through), and I would like to transfer as few of those as possible to my kid(s).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:44 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Noelle wrote:
How much "You need to try X number of bites"-type stuff do you guys do?

I keep going back and forth about whether I think this is a good idea. On one hand, I think Westley really DOES need to try the things I cook. On the other hand, I hate there being a lot of "have to"s around eating. Both my partner and I have some pretty serious issues around food (which we're working through), and I would like to transfer as few of those as possible to my kid(s).

I tried to cajole Kai into taking a bite a couple times, but it didn't work at all. If he doesn't want to eat, he doesn't want it no matter what I do. A few times I even tried putting it in his mouth when it was open, and he just spit it right out. I also have the same concerns as you - not wanting to force him to eat. So I gave up on that pretty quickly.

What seemed to work was I gave him a few other options (bread and fruit) but left the chili on his tray. Eventually, after he got to eat what he wanted, he gave the chili a try.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:50 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I don't force him to eat anything, but so far he's been a very good eater (I am jinxing it, I'm sure). I am wary of introducing power struggles into eating, because like others in the thread, I have food issues.

Walter has been eating so much lately, like almost as much as I am. I wonder if a growth spurt is coming. For breakfast he eats an entire banana, a half sandwich with almond butter, yogurt with coconut milk mixed in, and raisins. And soy milk. The other day I thought I would split a gluten-free muffin and a green smoothie with him, and he ate the entire muffin and drank half the smoothie. Damn, kid!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:26 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Grey has been a great eater so far. I am mostly doing baby led weaning and letting him feed himself, but he really knows what to do! Of course, he eats things I don't really want him to eat. He was sitting in the driveway the other day and a few puffs had fallen out of the car, I see he is eating them off the driveway. He is still getting 95% breastmilk.

We go to the dr this week for his nine month checkup and I am worried that Hearst gained much since his last visit.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:10 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Ok, I know this isn't the picture perfect place to put this, but I didn't want to start a whole thread...

Our doctor wants us to start giving Ezra floride drops, since we have well water. We brush his teeth once a day (Toms with floride), and it'll probably be another year or so before we take him to the dentist. Does anyone else give their toddler floride? I'm not coming at this with "Ahh! Floride is bad!", but I'm just wondering if it's necessary. Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:52 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

flavabean wrote:
Ok, I know this isn't the picture perfect place to put this, but I didn't want to start a whole thread...

Our doctor wants us to start giving Ezra floride drops, since we have well water. We brush his teeth once a day (Toms with floride), and it'll probably be another year or so before we take him to the dentist. Does anyone else give their toddler floride? I'm not coming at this with "Ahh! Floride is bad!", but I'm just wondering if it's necessary. Thanks!

I can't speak to the kids perspective but about a year ago we switched from Crest/Colgate etc to Toms with flouride and my last dental appointment revealed several caveties (hadn't had one in years previously). We're on well water as well but had been for years so the only change was the toothpaste. I'm not sure if Tom's doesn't have as much flouride as the major brands but the dentist ended up putting me on some prescription stuff (which I can only assume is not vegan unfortunately) that has double the normal level of flouride as crest/colgate. It might be worth checking the flouride level in Toms just to make sure that's not the issue, just speculation on my part to this point though.

Ugh I saw all these cave paintings complaining about vegan cheese options. I don't miss those days. -Isa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:45 am 
Nooch of Earl

We had well water growing up and I never got drops but at the dentist every once in a while I'd get these fluoride gel bath things. One year I opted for bubblegum flavor and it was the nastiest thing. Also had to have that horrible slobber vacuum in the whole time and if my tongue touched the bubblegum gel it would make me wince and shudder (it was weird and sour and gross) but then the vacuum would suck up my tongue and dry my mouth out..blech, if I had a choice I'd have gone for drops..

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:17 am 

I grew up on well water, too. Never had a cavity but I doubt that had much to do with it. I also had those awful fluoride bubblegum rinses at the dentist. They don't do that anymore?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:45 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

annak wrote:
We had well water growing up and I never got drops but at the dentist every once in a while I'd get these fluoride gel bath things. One year I opted for bubblegum flavor and it was the nastiest thing. Also had to have that horrible slobber vacuum in the whole time and if my tongue touched the bubblegum gel it would make me wince and shudder (it was weird and sour and gross) but then the vacuum would suck up my tongue and dry my mouth out..blech, if I had a choice I'd have gone for drops..

I remember that -- they always put the gunk in these oversized styrofoam things and had me clamp down on them. The styrofoam things were so big they made me gag. Then, I would be left alone in the room for what felt like ages.

And the bubblegum flavour. God, I miss that shiitake. It was so forking good. NOT.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:43 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Alrighty. Malka lost over a pound between her 12-month and 15-month appointments. She is totally not into eating and not really that into formula, either. Putting aside the feeling that I should let her figure out food in her own time, I am a little concerned about her weight now and definitely do not want her to continue to lose. I'm looking for ideas to either fatten up what she's already willing to eat or introduce new foods she might be into.

Now she eats like this:
Eats often (most days, although not so much in the past couple weeks): cold, soft tofu (will not eat it cooked except in miso soup), O's, macaroni in tomato sauce or Earth Balance, oatmeal

Sometimes (a few times a week): black bean soup (but not plain black beans), various kinds of bread, sometimes with Earth Balance, peanut butter (she will lick off the peanut butter), or hummus on them, edamame

Occasionally (once a week or less): pureed green vegetables in a self-serve tube (but not apple sauce), grapes, tomatoes, grapefruit, kiwi, potato

She is only willing to eat very small portions of any food, even if she seems to really love the food. I'm talking about 2-3 bites. She will usually eat a bit more when it comes to soft tofu. Kid loves soft tofu.

She also loves miso soup, which she doesn't get very often. She once willingly ate some kind of vegan butter straight, and I am totally open to giving her as much butter as she wants if she's willing to eat it, although I wonder how wise that is. There are a ton of things she just has never been willing to eat despite trying them dozens of times, like bananas, avocado, and whole peas. She also does not like fruit juices.

Ideas? Are there foods I'm not thinking of? She's really never been into table food, we always try to get her to eat whatever we're having for dinner, but she pretty much always rejects it without even trying or will just have one bite and throw the rest on the ground angrily.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:26 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Will she eat guac? Vi is iffy on plain avocado, but i can shovel guac in by the spoonful. She also really likes the squeeze fruits, which seem to go in faster than anything else, and I have also been putting soy/coco-gurt in that beaba squeeze container.

Another thing she's been loving lately is smoothies. I don't feed her straight juice, but we do a mix of frozen fruit and banana with soymilk and some juice in a straw cup. She also likes PB-banana-soymilk with a little agave.

Luckily V gained wait, though only a tiny bit, from her 12 to 15 month appts. Our pediatrician had already been urging us to put oil on everything (V is 25% for weight, 95% for height) so I'm sure a loss would've earned us the riot act.

To keep things in perspective, though, I recommend checking out the It's Not About Nutrition blog. I get the impression that pediatricians are trained to encourage people to just shovel calories at any cost into below-average-weight kids, give the thumbs up to average-weight ones, and then panic when kids are above average weight. This drives me up a wall. I was at the play cafe Monday and overheard some mothers in a playgroup talking about how one of their kids won't touch most fruit and vegetables anymore because "she's had chicken and mashed potatoes and hamburger and she knows there's better stuff out there now." But "the pediatrician isn't worried because her weight is fine." *sigh*

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:32 pm 
***LIES!!!***

She will not eat guac or squeeze fruits (but will, occasionally, eat squeeze vegetables). I am sort of philosophically opposed to giving her juices, but I attempted it when she couldn't keep things down and she hates them anyway, so it doesn't matter.

A smoothie is a good idea - will try that. Also, I forgot she used to like yogurt, we stopped giving it to her mostly because it's stupid expensive and usually sugary.

I'll look at that blog. The doctor wasn't actually as worried about it as I am. Mostly I think kids figure out food themselves if you let them, but if she's losing weight I can't imagine that doesn't affect her physical development - she should be putting on bone and muscle at this point and if she's gaining height and losing weight, that can't be a good thing for her bone health.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:44 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Arg "weight" why can't I edit my spelling mistakes? This is embarrassing.

Good luck - if your pediatrician isn't overly concerned, I wouldn't panic. Scales can change calibration or maybe it wasn't the same scale, too, which can magnify little or nonexistent differences. The scales at the hospital that gave us such grief during the Great Jaundice Debacle were only accurate to like 4 ounces, which is a big difference on those charts.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:32 am 
***LIES!!!***

Definitely not the scale. We weighed her on a variety of scales in the office and they all said exactly the same thing: 20 pounds even.

Well, she just woke up from a dead sleep to puke, so we're back to the pediatrician's tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:20 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Lucy went from around the 25% for weight to the -10% around the same time. She's only now 26 lbs at 3.5 years old. We added liberal amounts of coconut oil and/or earth balance to almost everything. Be forewarned, though, that coconut oil can have a laxative effect! Baked beans were and remain a favorite of hers. We use the Eden's organic canned variety, and I used to add coconut oil to them. Since she only eats small amounts, maybe try giving her a big old scoop of peanut butter or almond butter before bed and/or as a snack. Yogurts are good, though I hear you on the sugar.

It seems like it's really common around that age for kids to plateau or even drop weight. And it's made so much harder because they are usually picky as hell. We just kept slogging along making sure to get extra fats into her any way we could. (By the way, Lucy was and is totally fine despite her weight - she's just tiny.) Finally, I hope Malka is feeling better soon!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:45 am 

Babynut likes peanut butter and almond butter in her smoothies, not at the same time. If she likes smoothies, maybe you can add healthy fat that way.

I wouldn't give up on the table food, either. Even if she's not eating it, it's good to model eating healthy foods and she may surprise you one day and try something.

Yogurt has become a big hit around this week. Also noodles usually go over well. You mentioned that she likes miso soup...we had that last night with udon noodles and she was shoveling them in (but the tofu is here big love there).

I second whoever said baked beans and guacamole. She loves both but doesn't like plain beans and doesn't eat much plain avocado. She kinda has to have a sauce of some kind to eat most thing which is a pain in my asparagus.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:25 am 
Level 7 Vegan

We do fruit smoothies with almond butter, coconut milk, flax seeds, and unsweetened soy yogurt. That's a lot of calories right there. Can Malka use a straw? She might have fun drinking her food through a straw.

And for a treat I feed him ice cream occasionally (soy or coconut) with peanut butter mixed in.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:17 am 
Chip Strong

Have you tried mixing in some higher fat additions to her oatmeal? You can add nut butters, flax, etc. With the tomato sauce you can make it a creamy tomato sauce with cashew cream. If she likes licking the peanut butter off of bread she might eat some by the spoonful. The same with hummus. And yeah, as everyone said above, smoothies!
As far as her interest in eating a ton of food, it took Ada awhile to start eating a lot. I would say it was around 16 or 17 months that she started getting a bigger appetite.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:13 am 
Semen Strong

If she likes miso soup, can you make her a miso sauce? Leela LOVES miso sauce on veggies. She will inhale any veg that has esme's special sauce on it. viewtopic.php?f=18&t=544. She also loves the lentils from Trader Joe's and those are high in protein and iron, so I try and make her dishes with that, and she will eat anything I put nooch on. She loves avocado on toast with a little red onion and nooch on it. Also coconut oil on anything, like on greenbeans (yum!).

And for treats, we really like the oatbran and dried fruit muffin from Veganomicon. I omit the sugar, but its plenty sweet from the apple sauce.

Once Malka feels better, if you'd like, I can bring Leela over and we can have them eat a meal together. We have a playdate with an insanely picky toddler, who will eat pretty well with Leela there. We have another 2 friends with similar issues - because Leela will literally shovel her food in at the slightest opportunity, the other kids will eat around her.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:31 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Has Malka been throwing up a lot lately unrelated to a virus? Your post made it seem like that. About the same age my four year old started having problems with vomitting, refusing to eat, and losing weight. boring story even more boring she has many food allergies we were unaware of, severe reflux, and gastroparesis. She ended up having surgery this past summer. We had a check up with her gastro doc yesterday. She is finally just now at a normal height and weight after being 95 percetile for both as an infant and then dropping down to 5% in weight. Most importantly she is eating well now. I hope this isn't the case for Malka but maybe there is more to her story than just a picky eater? We really had to push our pedi for a referral so please if you think her vomitting may be something more serious make it a big issue.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:14 pm 
***LIES!!!***

amajorrecords - that is really scary! I hope we're not dealing with anything like that. The vomiting seems to be totally connected to the cold(s) she's been dealing with for the past month - a result of swallowing mucous which makes her nauseous and then post-nasal drip which makes her cough and gag. She experienced the same thing when she had RSV at 2 months, but other than that she has never been a vomiter. She also had one day a week and a half ago of just throwing up all day, but my husband was throwing up the whole day before, so again, likely just a virus.

This morning we tried: peanut butter on a spoon (wouldn't try), a smoothie of coconut milk, peanut butter, and oatmeal through a straw (loves straws, tried one sip and made the most awful face ever - I added maple syrup and tried to get her to taste it again but she wouldn't, so hopefully she'll try it later in the day and like it), earth balance on toast (took a bite, chewed it, then clawed it off her tongue), squeeze apple sauce (I don't know why I bother trying that), grapes (took a bite, chewed, clawed off tongue). She had 3 oz. of formula before pushing the bottle away and several sips of water. Water was the only thing she kept coming back to. This was over a two hour period or so before I had to leave for work. My husband is going to have a doctor friend check her out and then try to go back to our peds today or tomorrow.

Miso sauce is a great idea. I think she really likes salty stuff, but she also really likes liquid that comes off spoons or through straws, and miso soup can do both of those things. I don't know that she would eat it off anything, but she might eat it straight. Fattening up the tomato sauce is also a good idea.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:29 pm 
Semen Strong

Her symptoms sound a lot like what L had when she had the stomach flu in April. Do you think she might take pedialyte instead of water if she's vomittty? Then maybe just dial back on the food, let her drink that for a day and see if it eases her discomfort?

Clawing her tongue off sounds terrible, poor baby!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:46 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Yeah, as someone else suggested, does she like nooch? We make a walnut/brown rice flour/nooch "cheese" from Yellow Rose Recipes that Dahlia inhales, she'll eat anything with that on it. Also, if Malka will eat it, don't be afraid to give her pasta! On D's pickiest days a couple years ago she'd eat whole wheat pasta with olive oil and the cheese, without fail. Obviously try all different types of pasta made with different flours/grains.
We never had any luck with smoothies, D still won't drink 'em. But she loves nuts of any kind so we always give her those. And to be honest, even though she's 3.5, she still eats "porridge" from that Super Baby Food book every weekday for lunch!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next