| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Planning a vegan wedding!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:24 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Hi guys!

My fiancé and I are starting on the extremely confusing journey of planning our wedding. Aside from the fact that we don't really know where to start, we're wanting it to be as vegan as possible.

So, things like...catering, cake, etc will need to be vegan. Also we'll be looking to go on a honeymoon where we can eat vegan but that's a different part.

Anyone got any tips on planning a vegan wedding? Recommendations for bakers, caterers etc? We're in Leicester if it helps.

Cheers :)

-Vixki

Post subject: Re: Planning a vegan wedding!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:11 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

If I was in Leicester I'd totally get one of the big Indian places to cater it. And probably some cake from Vegan Cakery for anyone who cares about that sort of stuff. But others will have other more sensible and appropriate suggestions, I'm sure.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:38 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I ended up doing it all myself, as we couldn't afford it any other way! I know Jojo was in a similar vein. One of your biggest problems will be finding venues that let you do your own thing - so many of my friends have had it prescribed that you had to choose one of their three recommended caterers - no way! We were lucky in that we fell in love with the first barn we looked at, and they were so flexible they spent most of the weekend bent backwards.

Food: DIY! It's not a scary as it sounds, although having the summer holidays (a weekend or two would do) and my mum's enormous chest freezer helped - we did almost all the cooking before hand, leaving salads until the day before. So long as you plan your menu right, no-one knows. Happy to share my menu ideas if you want to go down this route!

Cake: this was the major one I didn't want to do as I wanted it to be perfect, but I ended up doing and it turned out fine, and I was SO proud of myself! All the quotes I had were around £400 for a three tier vegan cake - jog on! I bought polystyrene rounds and iced them for the bottom two tiers as a lot of vegan cakes are too heavy to stack, and then made a light fruit cake which was iced and put on top. Out back I had enough iced cake to feed an army, so after doing the 'first cut' on the fruit layer, our cake was whisked away, and a few minutes later trays of 'cut' cake appeared - most people were none the wiser. Cake freezes and can be defrosted two days before, and iced the day before. Easy peasy.

Honeymoon: everywhere we go, we make our own guide book from Happycow.com. All you need!

I kinda wish I'd blogged more about the wedding at the time, although truth be told, I was too busy to! The write up I do have is here: http://vanillasugarblog.blogspot.co.uk/ ... dding.html
All the pictures have broken and I don't know why, but the text tells you what you'd need to know!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:01 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Dress: most wedding dress shops I went to were relly helpful in finding all the ones without lace/silk in. Just ask, they all know their stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:04 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Table decorations: we used seasonal fruits in Kilner jars (from Asda, which are now all in my kitchen holding rice, choc chips etc) rather than buying loads of cut flowers, and my bouquet was mainly made up from flowers our florist had grown on site.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:57 am 

Thank you all :)

Rachwins - I thought about doing a cake myself because it seems so ridiculous to pay so much for cake when I'm a pretty good baker myself...however my problem is I cannot decorate to save my life. My fiance even says to me that my cooking looks terrible but tastes great. So that won't work for a wedding cake :P My mum is exactly the same, I get my baking and (lack of) decorating skills from her! But apparently she knows people who decorate cakes, so maybe I will contact them and see if they can decorate a cake of our baking!

I was kind of thinking of DIY food. We're looking at doing a buffet probably...we'll get in some Indian stuff from one of the millions of Indian places round here but it'd be nice to have a mixture with not so spicy food as well (Don't want wedding photos with a runny nose from spiciness :P). What sort of things did you do? I do have some family members who are staunch meat-eaters but we're adamant that there'll be none of that at our wedding!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:28 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Appetizers: tartex paste and bread, inspired by our summer trip round Europe last year. We lived off tartex salad sandwiches, munched on the side of far too many European motorways to mention.

Hot mains:
Empanada-style pasties - from Another Dinner is Possible by Isy from the Cowley Club, Brighton
Sweet potato en croute - this was the filling from the Sweet Potato Crepes (from Vegan With a Vengeance - don't pretend you don't know it) wrapped in puff pastry in a big log. Fancy fancy.
Moroccan tagine - another one from VWAV.
Mushroom, aubergine and chickpea chimchurri - the chimchurri recipe from Appetite for Reduction, but with the tofu subbed for mushrooms, aubergines and chickpeas.

Cold mains:
Pad thai noodle salad - from Appetite for reduction, again
Carrot cayenne coleslaw - from Bryant Terry's Vegan Soul Kitchen
Mint lime rice salad
Potato salad.

Pudding:
From the wedding cake...
Chocolate raspberry cake
Lime coconut bundt cake - from Veganomicon
Fruit cake - by me

And for those that don't want cake...
Apple pies
GF option - Silken chocolate mousse from My Sweet Vegan - you're right, I reviewed this recipe a few weeks back. I told you it was good.

Evening food:
Sausage rolls
DIY sandwiches
Leftovers

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:27 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Rachwins wrote:
Dress: most wedding dress shops I went to were relly helpful in finding all the ones without lace/silk in. Just ask, they all know their stuff.

Lace isn't vegan?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:30 pm 

Sluggie wrote:
Rachwins wrote:

Lace isn't vegan?

It's sometimes made with silk...not so often these days though!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:32 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Congratulations. We had a small vegan wedding in 2009, and found it wasn't too troublesome at all. These are the caterers we used: http://www.veg-out-sussex.com/, though they're way down in Sussex so I'm not sure that's too helpful. I"m pretty sure there is a vegan caterer based in Nottingham but I cant remember what they're called. Maybe someone from this site could help: http://www.vegan-nottingham.co.uk/. There are these folks too: http://changekitchen.co.uk/

On the subject of dresses, the flower girl and I got ours from eBay. I had it refitted, but it was still a steal, and I got something unique and perfect for me. :) The man got a suit new, but mostly because he needed one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:02 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

We're in the final stages of planning a vegan wedding this April.

After an extensive search we found vegan / vegan friendly suppliers for the main things (though several will be travelling 200+ miles) and will DIY the rest (partly for personal touch, partly cause we're picky).

You can get synthetic wedding attire off the peg - we decided to cut costs in other areas and have ours custom made. With men's in particular you run into the same problem you do with any smart clothing - good quality non-wool/silk/leather options are virtually nonexistent in the UK.

We'll blog our suppliers etc after the wedding, but if you get particularly stuck on anything then send me a PM and I'll point you in the right direction.

Do you have a rough date set?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:18 pm 
Impressive boner

These Nottingham folks cater. The food I've had from them has been good. http://www.veggies.org.uk/
They often get their baked goods (pasties, sausage rolls, cakes) from Screaming Carrot who also make celebration cakes http://www.screamingcarrot.co.uk/products/celebrationcakes.htm.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:33 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Vegan Barbecues & Buffets by Linda Majzlik is a good book, it's my first stop whenever I'm cooking for a party buffet and need easy to pick up and eat food (pates, pasties, dips and little savouries). You can pick up a used copy on the internet for £4-5 incl postage.

Love the tiered cake trick Rachwins!

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:33 pm 

How's the planning going?

Our's went rather well - pictures and list of suppliers got blogged this week here:

http://www.rocknrollbride.com/2013/05/d ... ah-steven/

We chose a 7 day restaurant binge in NYC for our honeymoon. We ignored practically all the tourist sites, opting for 12 v*gan places instead - Candle Cafe, 79, Blossom, Pure Food & Wine, Peacefood, Lulus, Dunwell, Brooklyn Mac, Beyond Sushi, Angelica Kitchen, Moaz. There was one more, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was ;)

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:17 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Are you reviewing the eateries on your blog Mr F? Which was your favourite and least favourite? I'm eating my way round NYC til Thursday!

Your wedding looks lovely, I love all the little details.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 2:16 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Many congratulations, Mr Flibble. Cherryvalentine's dress is gorgeous!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:09 am 
Ninja Master

Mr Flibble wrote:
How's the planning going?

Our's went rather well - pictures and list of suppliers got blogged this week here:

http://www.rocknrollbride.com/2013/05/d ... ah-steven/

We chose a 7 day restaurant binge in NYC for our honeymoon. We ignored practically all the tourist sites, opting for 12 v*gan places instead - Candle Cafe, 79, Blossom, Pure Food & Wine, Peacefood, Lulus, Dunwell, Brooklyn Mac, Beyond Sushi, Angelica Kitchen, Moaz. There was one more, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was ;)

Your pics are lovely! I love your wife's hair piece and her dress.

That sounds like a great honeymoon to me too!

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:54 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Oh my word Mr Flibble, I hope my wedding ends up being half as good as yours! Congratulations and a huge thumbs up for those beautiful pictures!

Please can you stop the noise, I'm trying to get some rest from all the unborn chicken voices in my head.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:55 pm 

Thanks! :)

We spent ages sourcing suppliers but were really pleased with them all in the end. There are loads of details that didn't make Rocknrollbride that I'll blog at some point and may be of use to others planning a vegan wedding.

Talking of which I've a massive blog post backlog at the moment - the honeymoon will end up there eventually. The foodie highlights of New York for us though were Dunwell, Lulu's and Candle Cafe's seitan kebab - I would go back to NY just for this, I've have never had fake meat like it :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:45 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I know! I don't know why no one does it here, or why none of our cakes are as good as Vegan Treats. (They sell the Candle skewers at the Wholefoods deli counters too.)

I was also longing for the ice cream but having regular access to Boho Gelato's creations have spoilt me and I found the ice cream I'd previously loved was a disappointment.

Looking forward to the full blog posts.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:01 pm 

Didn't know they sell the skewers in Wholefoods - is that a countrywide thing or just NY? I'm back in the states this summer. I'll stock up next time I see them!

Wholefoods deli counters scare me in general - too much meat around and staff who seem to not care / know what veganism is. We bought vegan chicken salad from Columbus Circle a couple of weeks before this happened:

http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm351564.htm

Gotta love how they're more worried about carnivores accidentally eating soy than vegans eating chicken!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:34 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I would imagine the skewers are just NYC as it's marked as 'Local' but I don't know for sure. They usually had two flavours and I'd eat them cold for breakfast!

Did you try anything made with Beyond Meat? I only saw one salad dish made with it on the buffet but did try it. I'm not sure I liked it, it was scarily dense like I think I recall meat being but it might be better if it was warmed up. I was in a hotel this time so couldn't try cooking with the chilled packs.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:22 am 

Well, the wedding is in three weeks! Whoo :D

Food wise - we've put in a big order of indian food - samosa, pakora etc. Also because a lot of my mums family aren't that spice-tolerant we're making some food too. Gonna have a load of "make your own salad", got a load of dips and breadsticks and crisps etc, buying in some redwoods sausage rolls. Etc etc.

Ordered cakes from the Vegan Cakery! :) And going to make some cookies. And we live near a strawberry farm so we're going to get a load of strawberries and soya cream :)

And a sweet buffet!

And then we're off to Sicily for a week :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:18 am 
Ninja Master

sounds rad Vixki. Hope you have a great time in Sicily too - that's one of the many places on my list of countries I'd like to visit!

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:08 am 

Thanks! :)

I'm getting all wiggly about it at the moment because my mum has been a star and done so much of the organising. She's basically said to me "tell me what you'd like, I'll get it done" which is wonderful because she seems to know everyone and seems to have a friend who is an expert in everything, but I am such a "control" person/perfectionist that it's killing me not to be DOING EVERYTHING. When I've organised big things before - fetes, fundays etc - I've never trusted anyone to do it for me and have ended up running around mad on the day. Which of course I can't do on my wedding day, but it was strangely soothing to be so busy. I guess this whole "sit back and we'll take care of it" attitude is leaving me twiddling my thumbs a bit.

That being said, I was supposed to be making up the orders of services but I've only gone and lost the ribbon I was using! I can get some more easy, it's cheap but grrr.