| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is weight watchers a waste of money if you are vegan?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:37 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I've been trying to loose weight I understand how to do so as I've lost 40 lbs in 9 months before. However, I trade 15lbs up and down. I am older as of this year the weight is coming off slower than in years past. I think the missing component for me is having support. I've tried online sites but I think meeting in person and weighing it would be more effective for me at this juncture as I am on bit of a roll coaster in life right now.

Is this program worthwhile and do-able on a vegan diet?

Post subject: Re: Is weight watchers a waste of money if you are vegan?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:02 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I've done WW three times - once a million years ago with in-person meetings (as a vegetarian), and twice online (once vegetarian, once vegan). I absolutely hated the in-person meetings because they were full of discussions about how to read labels and other stuff I already knew. (e.g., just because the bag of popcorn says "lite" doesn't mean it is a better choice than regular) In general, I found WW to be biased toward "mainstream" foods where they already have the nutrition info pre-entered in the site/app you use to track food (e.g., frozen dinners like Healthy Choice that you can buy at the grocery store, none of which are vegan), and it was a pain in the asparagus to enter all the info for a meal you make from scratch. I bet you know all about nutrition and labels already from being vegan, so you won't get anything out of that part of the meetings, and I can also imagine it being an environment where the other members judge you for being vegan or make comments about why aren't you skinny if you're vegan, etc. (if you disclose to them, which you would probably do since there would be a lot of talk about food) But if you don't care about those things and are just looking for accountability for the weekly weigh-in, then go for it. Fruits and vegetables are zero points, including bananas! (but sadly, not avocadoes)

Hope that helped. I was actually thinking about signing up online again, and I think I just talked myself out of it because of annoyance with entering the foods in the tracker.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:02 pm 
***LIES!!!***

It's definitely doable on a vegan diet and the principles are the same no matter what. However, you might have to search for a meeting you like. I found the meetings kind of a turn-off because the members really liked talking about eating meat for some reason. I also really benefit from in-person support, so it'd be great to find a better meeting somewhere down the line.

P.S. I've been to a few meetings for several sessions and nobody ever had anything negative to say about my veganness except for the meeting leader at one place who was an idiot about nutrition issues. It's all about the leader and the make-up of the group. Having a group celebrate your successes is really motivational.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:24 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

I like it, because basically you're choosing your own diet within the allotted points. The free fruit & veg encourages healthy eating. Personally I need that encouragement. My meetings are at work so I think there's less personal disclosure than there is at regular meetings (I don't know for sure, I've never been to a regular meeting). We mostly talk about general strategies. But I agree that having a group is motivational, I want to get that 10% sticker already!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:33 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

When I was on WW, I was doing a plan that did not count the points. I lost about 60 pounds on it, and went to the meetings almost every week. I was already vegan at the time, and there was no one who made any comments about me being vegan, and I never kept it a secret. I would often participate in the meeting by suggesting vegan products and alternatives to what people were using, and I even got older Italian ladies to try tofu.

Conversations were mostly about handling situations like vacations, restaurants, creating a good environment, etc. Not really specific to food. My meeting leader was awesome...she always told us one day she would get in trouble for not talking up the WW food the way she was supposed to. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:44 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

^^I think there are a few of those types of leaders! They are generally overpriced and have higher points than supermarket brands.

I haven't been on ww since going vegan but I do keep an eye on what things are points wise. I bought AFR which has all the nutritional values so I can calculate the points and then all my carbs I weigh before preparing because portion control is a major thing for me!

If my weight went above a certain point I would go back but for now I'm happy to keep motoring away on my own. I wasn't overly keen on the meetings because they were too focused around connivence foods and I found I was getting lazy and not doing proper cooking. I wasn't getting the same level of satisfaction with food. What worked for me was the weigh in once a week. It helped rein me in if I was having a munchie sort of mood!