| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The dairy industry is worried.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:05 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

So yeah, remember those "imitation milk" ads that seemed so desperate? Turns out they were!

http://consumerist.com/2012/12/12/dairy ... s-is-nope/

Quote:
One big name in the field says the decrease in milk drinking is a “crisis.” Where before it was almost taken for granted that at least kids were drinking milk at home, or the health-conscious adults among us were making sure we had our daily intake of dairy, that’s just not happening as much anymore.
“We cannot simply assume that we will always have a market,” Tom Gallagher, CEO of Dairy Management Inc. tells the WSJ.

Post subject: Re: The dairy industry is worried.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:46 pm 
Saggy Butt

Ha! Stupid dairy industry.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:54 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I wish everyone would realize how forking gross dairy is.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:31 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I enjoyed it until the last paragraph. Why is that even in there?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:01 am 
Saggy Butt

Quote:
As such, Kroger is going to start a new milk brand called CARBMaster using its own dairies in order to lure the health-conscious back into those aisles.

Haha yeah good luck with that dudes.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:23 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

In any other market area, they'd be told to stop whining and adapt. If your consumers don't want your product, make products they do want. Why isn't that happening?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:16 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Gulliver wrote:
In any other market area, they'd be told to stop whining and adapt. If your consumers don't want your product, make products they do want. Why isn't that happening?

Because most people think that Dairy is some government regulated health program and dont realize that it is a for profit business.

Its like a year or 2 back I remember reading about the Governor of Washington State activating the National Guard during a huge snowstorm to help ensure that the dairy deliveries were made. The only way that they could justify using government resources to help deliver dairy and not Pepsi, for example, is that people don't make the connection that is a business.

Thats also the reason they are allowed to market in schools to children. The normal rules dont apply to them.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:58 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Did anyone play the "game" over at http://www.gotmilk.com?

I thought it was pretty hilarious just how obviously upset the industry is over this whole thing.

Also, it was pretty nice to notice how it was having opposite the intended effect as I was going through it.

Drinking science is mathematical!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:27 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

SpiceMiner wrote:
Gulliver wrote:

Because most people think that Dairy is some government regulated health program and dont realize that it is a for profit business.

Its like a year or 2 back I remember reading about the Governor of Washington State activating the National Guard during a huge snowstorm to help ensure that the dairy deliveries were made. The only way that they could justify using government resources to help deliver dairy and not Pepsi, for example, is that people don't make the connection that is a business.

Thats also the reason they are allowed to market in schools to children. The normal rules dont apply to them.

Yes. This exactly. Dairy industry has been lobbying the US government for decades, and it is working. A product, just like any other, has special rules and exemptions. People have been trained to think they NEED dairy, that is is an essential part of their diet.

On the (seldom) occasions I have good discussions with people about using dairy animals for food, I always bring this up. It really surprises people when they find out all the political reasons behind the dairy industry.

Ugh. I hate lobbying. I don't even understand how it is legal.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:29 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Chicki wrote:
SpiceMiner wrote:
Gulliver wrote:

Yes. This exactly. Dairy industry has been lobbying the US government for decades, and it is working. A product, just like any other, has special rules and exemptions. People have been trained to think they NEED dairy, that is is an essential part of their diet.

On the (seldom) occasions I have good discussions with people about using dairy animals for food, I always bring this up. It really surprises people when they find out all the political reasons behind the dairy industry.

Because of lobbying.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:02 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

yeah. at this point it's a catch 22. the only way it'll become illegal is if the government is educated on how much money in healthcare (and subsidies) they'll save if animal food subsidies are cancelled. and i don't see that happening any time soon.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:17 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

can you imagine how much more the industry would be hurting if they didn't have the contracts for public schools, and had their own special spot on the food pyramid?

I love how they try to make cow milk seem so natural, and plant based milks seem so processed and weird, when in reality...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:10 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Chicki wrote:

At its most basic, lobbying can educate legislators about industries with which they might not be familiar. If an industry needs something changed, they can send somebody in to say "here's what is causing us problems; here's what would help," and ideally, a legislator can take that information, balance it against other information (from other lobbyists or whoever) and make an informed decision.

Unfortunately, that's not how it necessarily works in practice, but it's not inherently bad.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:18 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

chiveggie wrote:
can you imagine how much more the industry would be hurting if they didn't have the contracts for public schools, and had their own special spot on the food pyramid?

I love how they try to make cow milk seem so natural, and plant based milks seem so processed and weird, when in reality...

Yeah, the whole milk in schools thing is kind of nuts. I remember in high school mentioning that milk wasn't necessarily great for you, and three kids responded with lines word-for-word from milk advertisements.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:26 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

kilgore trout wrote:
I remember in high school mentioning that milk wasn't necessarily great for you, and three kids responded with lines word-for-word from milk advertisements.

Milk Zombies!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:58 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

My MIL grew up on a farm and seems to be under the impression that drinking either un-pasterized or un-homogenized (im sorry I cant keep those things straight) milk is like the most natural thing in the world and the greatest thing for you. She also seems to think that not drinking milk is somehow anti-farmer. Cause that’s where all the milk comes from is teeny tiny mom and pop dairy farmers who have three cows that all sleep in bed with them at night and not giant factory farms…..
Then someone at work had a baby earlier this year and I guess had some issues for awhile that they finally figured out was a milk based formula allergy so they had to switch him to soy. She was like freaking out. “HES GOING TO BE DEFICIENT IN SOMETHING!!!!” I was like “what? Deficient in cow-ness??”
It’s very interesting how deeply ingrained it in into our psyche’s that we somehow NEED dairy products. I feel like the emphasis on this has shifted from milk to yogurt. A lot of people don’t necessarily like the taste of milk but might like the taste of yogurt and they eat yogurt because YOU HAVE TO. HOW ON EARTH WOULD YOU GET CALCIUM OTHERWISE!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:02 pm 

LisaPunk wrote:
I feel like the emphasis on this has shifted from milk to yogurt.
It is a well-known scientific fact that women need yoghurt to poo.

At least, that's what the adverts have led me to believe...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:26 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

It's sooooo natural for an adult human to suck a cow.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:22 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Gulliver wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:
I feel like the emphasis on this has shifted from milk to yogurt.
It is a well-known scientific fact that women need yoghurt to poo.

At least, that's what the adverts have led me to believe...

is this why ive been having poo issues lately? i thought it was because im pregnancy b ut maybe it's all the not-eating-yogurt!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:52 pm 

rhelune wrote:
It's sooooo natural for an adult human to suck a cow.
Actually, I think it's natural for humans to use whatever is around them for whatever suits them. I don't hold with the "milk is unnatural" thing, personally.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:58 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

You could look at it that way, too. Humans are natural, so everything humans do is natural.

Personally, I don't care for naturalness (technology can do better), but the argument above sounds ridiculous.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:08 am 

knowyourtrees wrote:
Did anyone play the "game" over at http://www.gotmilk.com?

I thought it was pretty hilarious just how obviously upset the industry is over this whole thing.

Also, it was pretty nice to notice how it was having opposite the intended effect as I was going through it.

Drinking science is mathematical!!

Hahah that was hilarious. I actually really enjoyed crushing the coconut for it's milk and shaking my "imitation" milk before I could drink it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:07 am 
Nooch of Earl

So wait, I just started the got milk game, and hazelnut milk is a thing? Wait, where do I buy it? That sounds amazing.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:21 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

hahaha I made almond milk and sent it to all my FB friends. I get almond milk AND a bunny. Nice ad campaign, jerks!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:58 pm 

annak wrote:
So wait, I just started the got milk game, and hazelnut milk is a thing? Wait, where do I buy it? That sounds amazing.

pacific makes it. (it's really not as good as you'd expect, but i'm notorious for not liking brown rice sweetened things, so it might be different for you.)