| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: The dairy industry is worried.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:05 pm 
Offline
Dr Bronners, MD
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:58 pm
Posts: 4787
Location: Santa Cruz whoop whoop
So yeah, remember those "imitation milk" ads that seemed so desperate? Turns out they were!

http://consumerist.com/2012/12/12/dairy ... s-is-nope/

Quote:
One big name in the field says the decrease in milk drinking is a “crisis.” Where before it was almost taken for granted that at least kids were drinking milk at home, or the health-conscious adults among us were making sure we had our daily intake of dairy, that’s just not happening as much anymore.
“We cannot simply assume that we will always have a market,” Tom Gallagher, CEO of Dairy Management Inc. tells the WSJ.

_________________
"Trolling an internet message board, The Greatest Activism Of All." - pandacookie
Вы такие сексапильные, когда злитесь


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The dairy industry is worried.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:46 pm 
Offline
Saggy Butt
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:11 am
Posts: 302
Location: Ch-ch-ch-ch-Chico, CA
Ha! Stupid dairy industry.

_________________
Sentients Radio - Find Sentients in iTunes, too!
I like cats and elephants.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The dairy industry is worried.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:54 pm 
Offline
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:18 pm
Posts: 430
Location: L.A.
I wish everyone would realize how forking gross dairy is.

_________________
Hi, I'm Kylie
Cool Stuff I Make
Fellowship of the Vegetable


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The dairy industry is worried.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:31 pm 
Offline
Nooch of Earl
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:18 pm
Posts: 3750
Location: Bella Napoli
I enjoyed it until the last paragraph. Why is that even in there?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The dairy industry is worried.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:01 am 
Offline
Saggy Butt
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:10 am
Posts: 1150
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Quote:
As such, Kroger is going to start a new milk brand called CARBMaster using its own dairies in order to lure the health-conscious back into those aisles.

Haha yeah good luck with that dudes.

_________________
'forking. bogan as forking fork' - Joshua
'I can puke and be naked anywhere I want' - Fee


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The dairy industry is worried.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:23 am 
Offline
The Real Hamburger Helper
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:43 pm
Posts: 2336
Location: Wet and Windy Wiltshire
In any other market area, they'd be told to stop whining and adapt. If your consumers don't want your product, make products they do want. Why isn't that happening?

_________________
Moon - "This is the best recipe in the history of recipes forever."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The dairy industry is worried.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:16 am 
Offline
Huffs Nutritional Yeast
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:57 am
Posts: 115
Location: Kessel, Outer rim
Gulliver wrote:
In any other market area, they'd be told to stop whining and adapt. If your consumers don't want your product, make products they do want. Why isn't that happening?


Because most people think that Dairy is some government regulated health program and dont realize that it is a for profit business.

Its like a year or 2 back I remember reading about the Governor of Washington State activating the National Guard during a huge snowstorm to help ensure that the dairy deliveries were made. The only way that they could justify using government resources to help deliver dairy and not Pepsi, for example, is that people don't make the connection that is a business.

Thats also the reason they are allowed to market in schools to children. The normal rules dont apply to them.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The dairy industry is worried.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:58 pm 
Offline
Writes Vegan Haiku
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:55 am
Posts: 29
Did anyone play the "game" over at http://www.gotmilk.com?

I thought it was pretty hilarious just how obviously upset the industry is over this whole thing.

Also, it was pretty nice to notice how it was having opposite the intended effect as I was going through it.

Drinking science is mathematical!!

_________________
photo/video


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The dairy industry is worried.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:27 pm 
Offline
Calls "cavemen" on that
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:53 pm
Posts: 2415
SpiceMiner wrote:
Gulliver wrote:
In any other market area, they'd be told to stop whining and adapt. If your consumers don't want your product, make products they do want. Why isn't that happening?


Because most people think that Dairy is some government regulated health program and dont realize that it is a for profit business.

Its like a year or 2 back I remember reading about the Governor of Washington State activating the National Guard during a huge snowstorm to help ensure that the dairy deliveries were made. The only way that they could justify using government resources to help deliver dairy and not Pepsi, for example, is that people don't make the connection that is a business.

Thats also the reason they are allowed to market in schools to children. The normal rules dont apply to them.


Yes. This exactly. Dairy industry has been lobbying the US government for decades, and it is working. A product, just like any other, has special rules and exemptions. People have been trained to think they NEED dairy, that is is an essential part of their diet.

On the (seldom) occasions I have good discussions with people about using dairy animals for food, I always bring this up. It really surprises people when they find out all the political reasons behind the dairy industry.

Ugh. I hate lobbying. I don't even understand how it is legal.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The dairy industry is worried.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:29 pm 
Offline
Writes Vegan Haiku
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:55 am
Posts: 29
Chicki wrote:
SpiceMiner wrote:
Gulliver wrote:
In any other market area, they'd be told to stop whining and adapt. If your consumers don't want your product, make products they do want. Why isn't that happening?


Because most people think that Dairy is some government regulated health program and dont realize that it is a for profit business.

Its like a year or 2 back I remember reading about the Governor of Washington State activating the National Guard during a huge snowstorm to help ensure that the dairy deliveries were made. The only way that they could justify using government resources to help deliver dairy and not Pepsi, for example, is that people don't make the connection that is a business.

Thats also the reason they are allowed to market in schools to children. The normal rules dont apply to them.


Yes. This exactly. Dairy industry has been lobbying the US government for decades, and it is working. A product, just like any other, has special rules and exemptions. People have been trained to think they NEED dairy, that is is an essential part of their diet.

On the (seldom) occasions I have good discussions with people about using dairy animals for food, I always bring this up. It really surprises people when they find out all the political reasons behind the dairy industry.

Ugh. I hate lobbying. I don't even understand how it is legal.


Because of lobbying.

_________________
photo/video


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The dairy industry is worried.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:02 pm 
Offline
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:46 pm
Posts: 4497
Location: 5 mi east of philly
yeah. at this point it's a catch 22. the only way it'll become illegal is if the government is educated on how much money in healthcare (and subsidies) they'll save if animal food subsidies are cancelled. and i don't see that happening any time soon.

_________________
I solved it for once and for all -- and for everyone -- by intentionally leaving behind some 9-lives burritos... ~Lorelei4mc
supercarrot.com, vegan groupony things, vegan coupons


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The dairy industry is worried.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:17 pm 
Offline
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:17 pm
Posts: 664
can you imagine how much more the industry would be hurting if they didn't have the contracts for public schools, and had their own special spot on the food pyramid?

I love how they try to make cow milk seem so natural, and plant based milks seem so processed and weird, when in reality...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The dairy industry is worried.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:10 pm 
Offline
Dr Bronners, MD
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:58 pm
Posts: 4787
Location: Santa Cruz whoop whoop
Chicki wrote:
Ugh. I hate lobbying. I don't even understand how it is legal.


At its most basic, lobbying can educate legislators about industries with which they might not be familiar. If an industry needs something changed, they can send somebody in to say "here's what is causing us problems; here's what would help," and ideally, a legislator can take that information, balance it against other information (from other lobbyists or whoever) and make an informed decision.

Unfortunately, that's not how it necessarily works in practice, but it's not inherently bad.

_________________
"Trolling an internet message board, The Greatest Activism Of All." - pandacookie
Вы такие сексапильные, когда злитесь


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The dairy industry is worried.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:18 pm 
Offline
Kitchens Planning Manchester
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:28 pm
Posts: 2536
Location: Connecticut
chiveggie wrote:
can you imagine how much more the industry would be hurting if they didn't have the contracts for public schools, and had their own special spot on the food pyramid?

I love how they try to make cow milk seem so natural, and plant based milks seem so processed and weird, when in reality...

Yeah, the whole milk in schools thing is kind of nuts. I remember in high school mentioning that milk wasn't necessarily great for you, and three kids responded with lines word-for-word from milk advertisements.

_________________
"I never do anything you say, Isa. When I cook from VWAV and it says to add one cup of flour, I add three cups of olive oil! Now who wants some forking muffins??"-ExpiredSanity
Tumblr
Cast Iron & Cupcakes
I guess I have a Twitter now


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The dairy industry is worried.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:26 am 
Offline
Huffs Nutritional Yeast
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:57 am
Posts: 115
Location: Kessel, Outer rim
kilgore trout wrote:
I remember in high school mentioning that milk wasn't necessarily great for you, and three kids responded with lines word-for-word from milk advertisements.


Milk Zombies!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The dairy industry is worried.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:58 am 
Offline
Dislikes Rick Santorum
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:51 am
Posts: 5553
Location: United States of New England
My MIL grew up on a farm and seems to be under the impression that drinking either un-pasterized or un-homogenized (im sorry I cant keep those things straight) milk is like the most natural thing in the world and the greatest thing for you. She also seems to think that not drinking milk is somehow anti-farmer. Cause that’s where all the milk comes from is teeny tiny mom and pop dairy farmers who have three cows that all sleep in bed with them at night and not giant factory farms…..
Then someone at work had a baby earlier this year and I guess had some issues for awhile that they finally figured out was a milk based formula allergy so they had to switch him to soy. She was like freaking out. “HES GOING TO BE DEFICIENT IN SOMETHING!!!!” I was like “what? Deficient in cow-ness??”
It’s very interesting how deeply ingrained it in into our psyche’s that we somehow NEED dairy products. I feel like the emphasis on this has shifted from milk to yogurt. A lot of people don’t necessarily like the taste of milk but might like the taste of yogurt and they eat yogurt because YOU HAVE TO. HOW ON EARTH WOULD YOU GET CALCIUM OTHERWISE!!!!!

_________________
Unimpressed Baby Blog


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The dairy industry is worried.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:02 pm 
Offline
The Real Hamburger Helper
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:43 pm
Posts: 2336
Location: Wet and Windy Wiltshire
LisaPunk wrote:
I feel like the emphasis on this has shifted from milk to yogurt.
It is a well-known scientific fact that women need yoghurt to poo.

At least, that's what the adverts have led me to believe...

_________________
Moon - "This is the best recipe in the history of recipes forever."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The dairy industry is worried.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:26 pm 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:26 pm
Posts: 466
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
It's sooooo natural for an adult human to suck a cow.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The dairy industry is worried.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:22 pm 
Offline
Dislikes Rick Santorum
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:51 am
Posts: 5553
Location: United States of New England
Gulliver wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:
I feel like the emphasis on this has shifted from milk to yogurt.
It is a well-known scientific fact that women need yoghurt to poo.

At least, that's what the adverts have led me to believe...



is this why ive been having poo issues lately? i thought it was because im pregnancy b ut maybe it's all the not-eating-yogurt!

_________________
Unimpressed Baby Blog


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The dairy industry is worried.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:52 pm 
Offline
The Real Hamburger Helper
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:43 pm
Posts: 2336
Location: Wet and Windy Wiltshire
rhelune wrote:
It's sooooo natural for an adult human to suck a cow.
Actually, I think it's natural for humans to use whatever is around them for whatever suits them. I don't hold with the "milk is unnatural" thing, personally.

_________________
Moon - "This is the best recipe in the history of recipes forever."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The dairy industry is worried.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:58 pm 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:26 pm
Posts: 466
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
You could look at it that way, too. Humans are natural, so everything humans do is natural.

Personally, I don't care for naturalness (technology can do better), but the argument above sounds ridiculous.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The dairy industry is worried.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:08 am 
Offline
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:55 am
Posts: 4221
Location: Halifax, NS
knowyourtrees wrote:
Did anyone play the "game" over at http://www.gotmilk.com?

I thought it was pretty hilarious just how obviously upset the industry is over this whole thing.

Also, it was pretty nice to notice how it was having opposite the intended effect as I was going through it.

Drinking science is mathematical!!


Hahah that was hilarious. I actually really enjoyed crushing the coconut for it's milk and shaking my "imitation" milk before I could drink it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The dairy industry is worried.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:07 am 
Offline
Nooch of Earl
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:18 pm
Posts: 3750
Location: Bella Napoli
So wait, I just started the got milk game, and hazelnut milk is a thing? Wait, where do I buy it? That sounds amazing.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The dairy industry is worried.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:21 am 
Offline
TOTALLY CRADICAL
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:42 am
Posts: 4360
Location: Smugville, CA
hahaha I made almond milk and sent it to all my FB friends. I get almond milk AND a bunny. Nice ad campaign, jerks!

_________________
Crazy rating: Double plus crazytown bananapants ~Jordanpattern
"It's, you know, your typical Portland restaurant; bowls." ~Kittee
Sews Before Bros


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The dairy industry is worried.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:58 pm 
Offline
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:46 pm
Posts: 4497
Location: 5 mi east of philly
annak wrote:
So wait, I just started the got milk game, and hazelnut milk is a thing? Wait, where do I buy it? That sounds amazing.

pacific makes it. (it's really not as good as you'd expect, but i'm notorious for not liking brown rice sweetened things, so it might be different for you.)

_________________
I solved it for once and for all -- and for everyone -- by intentionally leaving behind some 9-lives burritos... ~Lorelei4mc
supercarrot.com, vegan groupony things, vegan coupons


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: beethecookie, Bing [Bot], brian, Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot] and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer