| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12975 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87 ... 519  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:51 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Fee wrote:
Chocolate sorbet > vegan chocolate ice cream

Agree!

Also vanilla sorbet > vanilla ice cream. Water dilutes concentrated flavour, but doesn't mask it like milk (and vegan milk) does.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:59 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Woah, I've never seen vanilla sorbet!

I had chocolate granita in Malta. You'd think what is a kind of chocolate flavoured slush puppy would be terrible, but actually it was ace. I think they must use chocolate syrup, some kind of essence of chocolate, for the flavouring.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:00 pm 
Dead by dawn

Ciao Bella sorbets are delish.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:00 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

My mother won't spend the holidays unless my sister makes a turkey, meaning me and my vegetarian roommate cannot use the stove or have to wait all fricken day to use it. Last time they also weren't shy about boiling all my root vegetables in a pot with salt beef.

I honestly wish I could go away somewhere for the holidays :/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:41 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Shymox, what about a slow cooker? I've found that it's better when I'm coordinating with meateaters anyway, because they say they'll be ready at a certain time and then that time comes and their lump of meat is still raw in the middle, and then they decide it needs like an hour to "rest" afterwards and meanwhile my Field Roast or whatever is getting all sad and cold or overcooked.

I actually have 3 slow cookers now so even when it's just us I set them all up side by side and sit back as everyone else stresses and wait for the awesome to come to me.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:10 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Gordon Ramsay. Everytime.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:09 am 
WRETCHED

So I went to Target and the Ciao Bella Coconut sorbet doesn't have dairy. I don't know what I was looking at last time but I swear it was the same container. Maybe somehow I had picked up coconut ice cream by accident.

And my pet peeve for this morning is soy yogurt that is bad as soon as you open it. My wildwood plain soy yogurt had pink dots all over it, 2 large containers both had them. The sell by date is next week. Boo.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:43 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I bought some Wildwood plain soy yogurt to give to my baby and it was LIQUID. I went back to the store for a new one and that one was liquid too. Now I drive 20 minutes to get him a different brand at a far away store.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:15 am 
Nailed to the V

Why is vegan chocolate so expensive?! I love baking and my style is to put chocolate chips in EVERYTHING, but I'm on a tight budget at the minute and I can't afford the ridiculously dear prices that vegan chocolates put at. I think kinnerton dark chocolate is the cheapest but it's still not cheap and it's dark...I like the taste of milk chocolate!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:28 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

vixki wrote:
Why is vegan chocolate so expensive?! I love baking and my style is to put chocolate chips in EVERYTHING, but I'm on a tight budget at the minute and I can't afford the ridiculously dear prices that vegan chocolates put at. I think kinnerton dark chocolate is the cheapest but it's still not cheap and it's dark...I like the taste of milk chocolate!

I hear you! I just bought all my ingredients yesterday and in addition to lots of vegan chocolate fair trade sugar and vanilla put my bill up so high when the cashier gave the total I said "WHAT?"

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:42 am 
Not NOT A Furry

At least you can buy vegan milk and white chocolates where you live.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:52 am 

LazySmurf wrote:
vixki wrote:

I hear you! I just bought all my ingredients yesterday and in addition to lots of vegan chocolate fair trade sugar and vanilla put my bill up so high when the cashier gave the total I said "WHAT?"
I don't know about where you are, but here a lot of the not-explicitly vegan chocolate has no dairy ingredients. Often, it's made using the same equipment used to make non-vegan chocolate, but is obviously cleaned in-between to avoid contamination between different chocolates.

Edit: Just noticed you're in the Midlands, not Americaland, so I can just name stuff. Cadbury's Bournville has no animal ingredients, and a few of the Sainsbury's chocolates are vegan. I think some of the Dr Oetker (if not, that other brand that does baking stuff... Silver Spoon? One of 'em) chocolate chips are, as well. Cadbury's drinking chocolate is vegan, too, I believe.

Last edited by Gulliver on Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:56 am 
WRETCHED

Yeah in the US, often the cheapest chocolate chips available are vegan. They just aren't labelled as such.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:02 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ive never seen vegan white chocolate....anywhere.
which is fine because i dont like white chocolate but there was a cookie recipe in VCIYCJ that called for white chocolate chips and ive yet to see them anywhere but really expensive from a website

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:05 pm 
WRETCHED

food lion's store brand of white chocolate chips used to be vegan, I think they changed that though and they were cheap, like $1/bag.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:07 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Vegan white chocolates are available in some European countries (the developed ones).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:14 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

LisaPunk wrote:
ive never seen vegan white chocolate....anywhere.
which is fine because i dont like white chocolate but there was a cookie recipe in VCIYCJ that called for white chocolate chips and ive yet to see them anywhere but really expensive from a website

Yeah, I think for a while there vegan white chocolate got the rep of being widely available in the US so it was put into recipes a lot, but then it was like...jk that's not even a thing. I've never seen any in stores!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:18 pm 

rhelune wrote:
Vegan white chocolates are available in some European countries (the developed ones).
From the ones I've tasted in England, you're not missing much. It's like being punched in the mouth by a sugar monster.

If you want to make your own for baking purposes (I wouldn't sit and chomp it down, but for a white chocolate cake or whatever), whisk cocoa butter and ground almonds and a bit of good, flavourful margarine and perhaps a little soya or almond milk and some sugar on a low heat until it emulsifies. It'll form a white chocolate fudge sauce, which you can mix in with whatever. Some soya lecithin would help the emulsion form, and a bit of corn flour/cornstarch might stabilise it so you could use it as a custard.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:31 pm 
Dead by dawn

I can get delicious, creamy white chocolate bars and gritty, sugary white chocolate chips but only because Seattle has a vegan grocery.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:39 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I tried Organica vegan white chocolate and liked it. I buy another brand when I visit Austria (if I can find it, they were out of it the last time).

I have considered making vegan white chocolate, but cocoa butter is extremely expensive here. Coconut oil I buy in Slovenia is 10 times cheaper, but doesn't have any of that cocoa flavour I love.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:52 pm 

rhelune wrote:
I have considered making vegan white chocolate, but cocoa butter is extremely expensive here. Coconut oil I buy in Slovenia is 10 times cheaper, but doesn't have any of that cocoa flavour I love.
You can go half-and-half without much loss in taste.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:02 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Thanks! I might try that.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:26 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

My coworker (who I've had a few conversations with about being vegan) left me a little stocking filled with a bunch of candy I can't eat on my desk. While I really do appreciate the gesture, it just kinda urks me. I don't expect people to cater to me and my choices, and I'm sure he just didn't want me to feel left out, but still. Maybe I'm just PMS-y right now.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:40 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I just got some milk chocolate almonds, which fine, that's what the vendor brought for everyone, but there's a stupid stick on the box that Happy Holidays from (Vendor Name)! I mean, I probably would have told the person it was just a re-gift anyway, but I mean, that should have been my choice.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:54 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

FabulouslyFierce wrote:
My coworker (who I've had a few conversations with about being vegan) left me a little stocking filled with a bunch of candy I can't eat on my desk. While I really do appreciate the gesture, it just kinda urks me. I don't expect people to cater to me and my choices, and I'm sure he just didn't want me to feel left out, but still. Maybe I'm just PMS-y right now.

this is something my brother would do.
for Xmas last year (year before?) they got us one of those big metal tins of different popcorns and snacks and treats. he was like "yeah i assume there's something in there you can eat"

there was not.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12975 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87 ... 519  Next