| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 272 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: massive school shooting in CT :-(
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:21 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i dont know if this goes in this room or the foyer but holy fork im going to be physically ill

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/12/14/shooting-reported-at-connecticut-elementary-school/?hpt=hp_t1

this is absolutely horrifying. :-(

Post subject: Re: massive school shooting in CT :-(
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:22 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

We live in a sick sick world. My heart is breaking for those families :(

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:26 pm 
WRETCHED

Holy crepe.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:30 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I can't compute someone shooting an entire kindergarten class.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:34 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

This is horrifying. I can't even begin to understand. And this was just days after the shooting at the mall here.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:55 pm 
Inflexitarian

It made me cry. I really just want to go there and hold all of their parents. How will the survivors ever feel safe at school again?

I want to help them but not sure there's anything we can do? :(

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/GeekKnowledge

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:04 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I am just sick over this.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:07 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

violence on any level against ANYONE is just sick and horrifying but what kind of sick f*cktard opens fire on a classroom full of kindergarten kids.

i really feel like im gonna vomit.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:09 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Shanti wrote:
How will the survivors ever feel safe at school again?

I was discussing this with my co-worker and I told him that this is the real tragedy of shootings like this: what can we do to make it the last one? We can't. Short of creating a tractor beam to suck every gun in existence off of the planet, we can't completely stop gun violence. Even if we had extremely strict gun control laws, unstable people can still get guns through legal channels and illegal channels. Are schools supposed to become armored prisons? Pay for an armed guard to stand watch every day?

These things never make sense and there's never any resolution. I know that's super negative and depressing, but I don't think i'd ever want to try and say that maybe something positive will come out of this.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:10 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I really don't know what to say. I have to go pick up my class of daycare-kids from their school in an hour and I'm really hoping I don't cry in front of them.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:20 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Sadly, Nation Knows Exactly How Colorado Shooting's Aftermath Will Play Out

Sad, and completely applicable. When is it going to stop?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:25 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Grad students and professors at tech had to go back to work in the same building. People are resilient. Kids are resilient. I don't know how they do it, honestly.

Things like this make me realize how scarred I still am by the VT shootings, and I only saw and heard close up. I didn't experience the actual horror, but Im still having a melt down over here. I couldn't stop crying earlier.

I am kind of glad it looks like the kids got out without seeing a massive emergency vehicle response. That was the worst part: lines of dozens of ambulances just sitting and waiting for the dead who couldn't come out. And cell phones ringing on the bodies.

I am sure that the community will come together and help with a lot of resources. I know people directly affected where very grateful and helped by students and parents from Columbine and others who came to help and support. I hope Obama goes and does for them what Bush did for us--it was soothing.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:33 pm 
WRETCHED

I went and read an update, I can't do it anymore. More are being reported dead than earlier.

I don't know how people go on. My mom works at an elementary school and they have drills for incidents like this and they have had to utilize those drills. Basically, they know how to lock down the school, to a certain extent. There is nothing we can do to prevent crazy but there are things that can be done to help mitigate including emergency plans. Even the best emergency plans though can't prevent harm to all.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:34 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

My co-worker just said that the shooter went there to shoot his mom, who is a teacher. Christ.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:40 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

My understanding was that his mother was found shot dead in her home in New Jersey. I think he may have killed her and then went for her classroom.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:42 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

i feel just sick. i don't even know what to say. my sister is a kindergarten teacher and her daughter is in kindergarten and ... i just can't fathom this. :(

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:44 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Nebraskalaska wrote:
My understanding was that his mother was found shot dead in her home in New Jersey. I think he may have killed her and then went for her classroom.

I just heard on the news that he shot and killed his father at home, and then went to the school where his mother was teaching.

It's so horrific. I don't even know how to process it. It seems like the mass shootings are getting more frequent.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:45 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'm furious. Furious that we've ignored this issue for so god damn long it's become a common occurrence in the States. We'll hear a lot of "thoughts and prayers" but no real resolution "because bear arms". fork the right and and the NRA and the gun lobbyists. We need to put forward aggressive gun control legislation once and for all.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:48 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
Nebraskalaska wrote:

I just heard on the news that he shot and killed his father at home, and then went to the school where his mother was teaching.

It's so horrific. I don't even know how to process it. It seems like the mass shootings are getting more frequent.

Interesting. There's always so much confusion and misinformation in the first few hours, so I guess I'll wait and see what they're reporting in a few hours. I'm watching the news live right now, and they just said he didn't kill a parent in New Jersey and only his mom in Connecticut *throws hands in air*

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:58 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

nickvicious wrote:
I'm furious. Furious that we've ignored this issue for so god damn long it's become a common occurrence in the States. We'll hear a lot of "thoughts and prayers" but no real resolution "because bear arms". fork the right and and the NRA and the gun lobbyists. We need to put forward aggressive gun control legislation once and for all.

my SIL just this morning shared some stupid NRA photo on fb about how you cant take away our guns and rifles are awesome and Obama is evil and stupid.

yes let's protect peoples' rights to rifles. great idea......

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:00 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

There is a big difference between guns for hunting, whatever and guns capable of killing 30 people in 2 minutes.

I'm not sure what they will do here, since after every mass shooting event the talking heads yak yak yak on about how if people were armed it would have been stopped, but even they surely cant suggest armed kindergarten children or teachers. I think now in Virginia, students are allowed to have guns on state college campuses, a direct result of the shootings.

Last edited by lavawitch on Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:01 pm 
WRETCHED

I read something somewhere else that the teachers should've had guns so they could've stopped the problem themselves. Really? what world do these people live in? This isn't Die Hard, the teachers aren't Bruce Willis, this is an elementary school.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:05 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

linanil wrote:
I read something somewhere else that the teachers should've had guns so they could've stopped the problem themselves. Really? what world do these people live in? This isn't Die Hard, the teachers aren't Bruce Willis, this is an elementary school.

We heard this all the time at tech, as if the average armed person could successfully defend against a Kevlar protected shooter with automatic weapons in the space of seconds or minutes, a situation that would be challenging for the best trained spec ops people. This is why the legislation allowing guns on campuses was passed. We are all so much safer now.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:07 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

My district just sent out an email addressing the crisis plans and resources. We have less security than 10yrs ago because of budget cuts. This is true many places.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:09 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

linanil wrote:

This incident is horrific, but this comment made me laugh for a second anyway. It's so true, I can't really believe the solution to this is to arm everybody.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 272 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next