| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 920 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 37  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Eats World
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:50 pm 
Chip Strong

seitanicverses wrote:
Are Bob's Mills corn flour and masa harina the same thing?

No. Bob's sells a masa harina that's labeled as such, but the corn flour is a lot finer.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:03 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

^thanks! I'm glad I didn't get it then.

Update: The black bean and pumpkin posole is super yum and healthy and fresh tasting!!! I had it with a freshly made homestyle potato roll (from VCON) instead of corn tortillas and that's not a bad compromise, not bad at all <3.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:04 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I just made the laksa and I really loved it, I'm glad I added the creamed coconut.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:45 am 
Naked Under Apron

I made the Chinese stir-fry takeout noodle thing (I can't remember the name) and it was really yummy! I made some subs because stir-frys are awesome like that. I didn't have fresh noodles, but just cooked some flat wheat noodles (they were called "Chinese noodles") and I used cremini mushrooms, baked tofu slices, pak choi, and added extra veggies: sliced carrots and brussel sprouts. The sprouts were awesome! Our store was out of broccoli and I still wanted some hearty green veggies in there and the sprouts did the trick. I quartered them.

The sauce was pretty good. Maybe slightly too salty for my taste, but once all the veggies and noodles were tossed with it, I liked it better. I didn't have shaoxing wine, so I used some dry sherry.

This was a perfect way to break in my new wok. I definitely needed extra oil and water to keep things from sticking because it hasn't developed its non-stickness yet. I went for so long thinking "I don't really need a wok...my skillet is fine," but I take back my words. Woks are the jam.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:22 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

ijustdiedinside wrote:
Does anyone who tested have the flourless chocolate torte recipe on their computer? My friend wants to make it, but i can't scan the recipe because of the way it's laid out on two pages. it's not on amazon preview either!

Not sure if you still need this, but I PM-ed you!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:03 pm 
Chard Martyr

Yay thank you! I do still need it.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:29 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I made the black bean soup with roasted poblanos and pickled red onions and I loved it! I wasn't too excited for the soup because it didn't seem really like anything special but it turned out fabulous and we both gobbled it up. Those roasted poblanos and cooking the beans from scratch really made a difference I think. I also used rotel instead of canned tomatoes because that's what I had and I thought it'd be better. The pickled onions said they would be ready in a half hour and I didn't really believe it, but they were! They weren't completely soft like when you marinate overnight but they were perfect on the soup because they added a bit of crunch. I wish I would have made the cashew yogurt sauce too but I didn't have any yogurt. I highly recommend it.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:43 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Last night I made the spicy drunken noodles.

Had all the ingredients, except for the Golden Mountain Sauce and green onions. I subbed in some vegan worshtishire sauce instead.

it was super good. I bet the Golden Mountain Sauce would be better. Stupid chicki...I had it in my hand and didn't buy it for some reason. Ugh. And the only store that sells is far away and difficult to get to. Next time I will not forget!!

Next time I make this I will add way more veggies and a bit more of the sauces so that I can make sure I have leftovers. More cabbage for sure. Snow peas would be great, and I added baby corn already and it was awesome. Zuchinni would be good too. Local Thai places around here always seem to go heavy on the zuchinni for some reason, and I love it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:22 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

The flying massaman curry was really really really really really good.

I tend to stay away from Thai type curries, since my partner does not like coconut or coconut milk, but he liked this too.

I left out the tomatoes and replaced with frozen peas. Used dry fried tofu I made myself. Used green beans. It was all amazeballs.

Oh, and the book said it was 4 servings I think? More like 6-8 servings! Made a ton.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:36 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

How does one decide where to start?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:49 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

lavawitch wrote:
How does one decide where to start?

I gave this a lot of thought when I got the book. It's kind of a challenge because I want to try it all but it's super tough to organize. First I made a few things that I mostly had the ingredients for (white bean and farro soup, black bean soup). Then I made a list of things I would need to buy at different stores based on the region (So I made a list for the Indian Market, the Asian superstore etc.) I figured I could work through the book one store at a time, I think I still plan to do that. But instead I picked some more recipes where I didn't have to go to any of those stores because I didn't want to drive all over the place and wanted to just go to the big international-friendly grocery store and made some more recipes (the Laksa and Pad See Ew). Now I am making things in the first chapter, spice mixes, seitan, and preserved lemons. I don't know if this is the best way to go about it though.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:52 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I don't have a store convenient for exotic ingredients, so I'm stuck with whatever Wegmans has.

Ideas for pantry friendly? I want to try the pierogies. My dad should eat those too.
I don't like Indian food. I know, I know. But there is a spice in almost every recipe that I hate. Coriander and something else. I'm sure there is something I'd like instead of writing off an entire diverse cuisine, but I haven't found it yet.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:31 pm 
Chard Martyr

the massaman curry is really good and pantry friendly! i think a lot of the stuff isn't super pantry friendly, but once you start collecting ingredients you'll have everything for a while.
the pierogies are delish and if you get one other person to help you in the kitchen, they are a breeze. alone they are kind of a pain.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:36 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I don't mind collecting ingredients when I have a chance to plan a trip. It will be a while though.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:39 pm 
WRETCHED

I just found the freekeh and millet pilaf. I found freekeh on sale a couple weeks ago, go me.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:45 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

LazySmurf wrote:
Now I am making things in the first chapter, spice mixes, seitan, and preserved lemons. I don't know if this is the best way to go about it though.

This is kind of what I'm doing because I probably won't have a chance to get the more international things for a couple of weeks, so I'm making recipes with the stuff I can get at the regular grocery store and then doing the things like coriander seitan from the first chapter, because that seems to go in a lot of stuff I want to make--like the Jamaican patties which I predict I will have made a batch of at some point over the holidays and then there's a stir fry that's piqued my interest that calls for it. While a trip to the international market seems important to really ultimately dive into the book, there's plenty of stuff to make until you can get to one.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:51 pm 
WRETCHED

I think I'm going to make the seitan tibs this weekend as well. I should have everything for the seitan and the tibs.

I basically peruse the book for things with ingredients I mostly have. And see if there is something that wouldn't require too many new items to make.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:16 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I decided to kind of stock up on ingredients based on region and store I could buy stuff in.

First I went Thai/Chinese and stocked up on most stuff I would need for a bunch of recipes at a couple of different stores, that are kind of out of the way.

Next time, I think I will hit up some other ethnic stores and try to get some of the ethiopian/african type spices I don't have, and try those out for a batch of recipes.

I kind of plan on doing the book sort of like this, building up the ingredients I need in a grouping sort of way. Add to my 0380598304953094 spices in my pantry. Cant find Harissa freaking anywhere though. Annoying.

lavawitch, I would think you could start out with more of the european stuff, that is more supermarket friendly. Like the pierogies. Or the eggplant lasanga thing. Mmmm...I really need to make that!

(I really wish the book would have been laid out by region)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:21 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I've seen harissa in regular hot sauce sections. It seems to be trendy now.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:31 pm 
Chard Martyr

oh yeah, the pastichio is REALLY good. you could easily make it in stages over the day or over two days and it'd be easy. It took me about 2 hours to make it all at once, but then we got 4 dinners out of it, so it was worth it.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:39 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

This really is a beautiful book; everything about it is lovely. But, I wish it had a pantry friendly icon (the icon lists at the back of the book are awesome), and a list by country or region. The menus are great, but I really want to find all the Moroccan recipes, and it's kind of hard.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:43 pm 
WRETCHED

Have you looked at the Tagines? I mean I know she has the menus but I don't see a Moroccan menu. The tagines would be a good start though.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:56 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I'm wondering if the phyllo thing (forget the name!) would be good for tomorrow, or too much work for me.

The seitan almond tagine is on my list, but too much to buy for now. Mostly, I'm too lazy to make seitan.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:34 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I made the chickpea parmigana last night which was the best part of my otherwise meh dinner (which was not composed of any foods in this book!--except for the parmigana which was the saving grace).

This week, I'm making the (Bhutan?) Thai fried rice for a potluck (if I can't find the proper soy sauces, I'm just using Kikkoman. I know. Sacrilege!) and the seitan and noodle salad with the five-spice seitan for myself. I expect yumminess to prevail, despite the evil probable blasphemic addition of Kikkoman!!! Hopefully, McEwan wiill have one of the soy sauces I need though. They are a more gourmetish grocery store. I mean, they have speculoos! So I live in hope.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:39 pm 
WRETCHED

I have the coriander seitan cooking. I always forget how easy seitan is to make. I did a double batch. Also, I'm a bit anal and split the pieces of seitan up by weighing them on a kitchen scale.

Later on tonight, I'm making the seitan tibs. I'm excited.

Reply to topic  [ 920 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 37  Next