| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Yes ANOTHER potluck thread – Holiday Edition
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:05 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

So this one is a little more specific, I’m bringing one or two dishes to a holiday office potluck next week and I want to bring some kind of salad and maybe a casserole. We have a fridge but everything will have to be served cold or at room temp. I’m looking for something hearty/wintery and nothing too out there (most people don’t know what quinoa is). So PPK, what’s your favorite salad or casserole to bring to a potluck?

I should also add that I have many, many cookbooks. So I’ll take any cookbook recipe recommendations.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

Post subject: Re: Yes ANOTHER potluck thread – Holiday Edition
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:38 pm 
Dead by dawn

For the casserole, the Vcon pumpkin baked ziti has been a hit with everyone (including omnis) that I have fed it to. I don't know how it would be room temp, though. That's sort of the kicker for any casserole I can think of.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:45 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

The trattoria pasta salad in AFR is really special. You could do it without the arugula since that could end up just getting sad and wilted. Spinach might stand up better.

I also don't mind stuff like lasagna at room temperature, but some people might.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:58 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Do you have vegan eats world? There is one in there I was thinking about bringing to our office potluck cause it's supposed to be at room temp but I'd have to look it up (which I'll do if you have the book).

I have made the black bean mango salad from Vcon in the past. It's always well liked but not winter holiday-ish.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:39 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

LazySmurf wrote:
Do you have vegan eats world? There is one in there I was thinking about bringing to our office potluck cause it's supposed to be at room temp but I'd have to look it up (which I'll do if you have the book).

I also need a room temp office holiday dish and I currently have Vegan Eats World from the library. Let me know if you figure out what it is!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:46 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

The mango and peanut millet salad from Vegan Eats World is great. Not too out there but still a bit different. Most unknowledgeable people will just think the millet is cous cous.

I took Simply Splendid Kale Salad from Going Raw to a potluck before and it was one of the first things that was finished. Saying that... it was a vegan potluck so not sure how it would go down with non-vegans.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:50 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I looked at the book and I think it was the Pistachio Date Quinoa Salad that struck me for the work potluck. It's served room temp and would be filling enough if it's the only thing there for you to eat.

I also considered the Peruvian Purple Potato Salad. You could just chop up the avocado and the cilantro at the table right before serving. Plus people might be stoked about purple potatoes.

Also the spring rolls!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:38 pm 
WELFARIST!

I'm doing my work potluck this week and planning on making the Bhutan Thai pineapple fried rice. I'll make it the morning of the potluck so it'll be nice and fresh and I think it'll be okay at room temp.

I was actually eying those two dishes from Vegan Eats World LazySmurf and thought they'd be good for potlucks, too. I just really want to bring the fried rice for some unknown but compelling reason. I feel fried rice in my GUT on this one. But yeah, those others from the book would be good choices.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:16 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I just made Isa's macaroni salad from Vcon for an office potluck and it went over well. Since radishes are a bit out of season I used cucumbers and red bell pepper along with scallions in place of the carrots and radishes.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:03 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I do have Vegan Eats World and I haven't even made anything out of it yet, I'll definitely check out that recipe! Thanks!

Now I'm thinking of doing two salads, hmmmm maybe pasta or some kind of root vegetable thing. Originally I wanted to do something with puff pastry or phyllo but I figured if I make it the night before, it would be soggy by the next morning.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:27 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Falafel platter is my go to. Hummus in the middle and surround that with tiny falafel balls, olives, pickles, grape tomatoes, cucumber, wedges of flatbread, pita chips, red pepper strips, whatever you think is yummy with it.

Layered dip with corn chips. Beans, guacamole, salsa, sour cream or cream cheeze mixed with taco seasonings, chopped tomatoe, chopped canned green chilis, black olives.

Taquitos with a dip

My mom always made that layered salad with the mayo topping. You need a giant clear bowl like a trifle bowl. Lettuce, olives, tomato, whatever veggies you like, veggie or tempeh bacon, thawed frozen peas, then a thick layer of dressing. The dressing is mostly mayo with some lemon and maybe sour cream, a little sweetener...like really thick coleslaw dressing. The thick layer seals the salad and keeps it fresh. It looks pretty Midwest. But, people always attack it. I have see it mexican style, as well.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:00 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I'm making sweet potato drop biscuits from AFR because I'm lazy, they're delicious, they keep well, and are somewhat Christmasy.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:13 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i think shepherd's pie is great for potlucks. lentils are pretty cheap, and it's yummy with mushrooms, onions, peas, carrots, tomatoes, etc.

Terry's poblano enchilada casserole from Viva Vegan is also really yummy. since pine nuts are a bit expensive i make the topping with raw cashews & a can of white beans blended together.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:22 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I have to make a dish for a school potluck tomorrow! Stuck at what to make. I want something that's kid friendly since it will be mostly students eating it. But I also want it interesting enough for grown ups. Hmm.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:22 am 
Inflexitarian

I attended a birthday dinner on the weekend & made a big antipasto platter, with grilled vegetables, salsa romesco, & the big hit was the caponata I made, served with a couple of different foccacias. That might be a good option, because it's at its best at room temperature. There's this really amazing salad in 1000 Vegan Recipes I've made a few times now which is really delicious & substantial - broccoli, potato & white beans in a walnut & parsley sauce. It is so delicious & moreish. So if you have 1000VR, I recommend that too!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:14 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I've decided to make the curry carrot dip from VCON and the lentil salad. Both pretty healthy and the carrot dip is always a hit. I think these two things will counteract the double brownie recipe I'm bringing.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:51 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I usually do a broccoli salad with dried cranberries. Super easy to throw together, bursting with nutrition, everybody loves it, and the red and green scream holiday. I have a version on my blog if you're interested.

http://alinaspencil.com