| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Weight Loss and Fitness Gadgets
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:03 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Talk about your gadgets, gadgets you want, gadgets you want advice/info on here!

So I thought I might like a fitbit for tracking exercise and calorie burn and my sleep (i sleep a lot and yet i'm still frequently tired). My husband got me a bodymedia fit because he thought it was nicer and thought I'd like that there's an iphone app for it (I do). It tracks calories burned, steps taken, time of moderate exercise, time of vigorous exercise, stuff like that. Downsides - expensive! + $7/month fee for the website (which is mostly for easier calorie tracking, but the calorie tracking software blows - it's not as good even as my fitness pal or spark people or the weight watcher's site). The sleep tracking is kind of vague - here's a screen capture

BodyMediaScreenCap0207 by Sarah_0330, on Flickr

okay so the dark part under sleep says "sleeping" and the gray part says "lying down"

Anyone have experience/advice to share on this or similar gadgets?

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

Post subject: Re: Weight Loss and Fitness Gadgets
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:55 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I cannot offer much help. I too was looking at the fitbit. A friend of mine has it and loves it, but haven't mentioned any issues. I too wan wondering what other people use.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:13 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I've heard good things about the nike fuel band. And this kickstarter project sounds like it would be great (though not only for fitness stuff) - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/597 ... nd-android

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:44 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I'm low-tech(ish), so I just want the chased-by-zombies runnning and walking app.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:31 am 
WRETCHED

I have a fitbit, I hit it against something while wearing it on my hip and the front face plate fell off. I contacted the company, they sent me a replacement which I haven't opened yet. Basically, when you are sleeping, you will move around so generally the grey parts you see are you adjusting/moving around.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:04 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I had a fitbit for awhile and I loved it. I just got tired of wearing it because I knew that on a regular day, if I didn't consciously do something active, there was no way I was hitting 10,000 steps. That being said, I did love it because it made me really competitive with myself, plus I could wear it on my bra, so it was a secret! The bodymedia armband will be more accurate because it uses more technology (fitbit can track your movement, while armband tracks movement, skin temperature and skin conductivity). That being said, it's awkward to wear and, like you said, the calorie tracker thing blows for $7 a month. The fitbit tracker is free and gives you little rewards. I don't know, is that helpful?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:13 pm 
Inflexitarian

I was thinking of getting a fitbit. The gym I go to uses the Body Bugg. I think it's similar (maybe the same?) as the bodymedia one. It's expensive too. I like the positive reviews though!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:43 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I am interested in the Nike Fuel Band. Or maybe Fitbit. I don't know. It's almost like I want to borrow one. I just want to see how many calories I burn. I got a separate sleep app, but I haven't been using it because you have to have the phone awake and on in plugged under you sheet or something. I don't know. I'm similar that I get enough sleep, but always feel tired. I usually chalk it up to depression though.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:48 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I just got my fitbit today and I am really excited. well i was really excited because I thought I could link it with my My Net Diary account, which I have been using for months and have spent a lot of time putting in recipes/adding vegan foods but it looks like I would have to upgrade from the pro version to the maximum version which has subscription fees. So disapointing.

Are there any other food tracking phone apps that are user friendly/vegan friendly and that link to the fitbit?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:56 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

erindisaster wrote:
I just got my fitbit today and I am really excited. well i was really excited because I thought I could link it with my My Net Diary account, which I have been using for months and have spent a lot of time putting in recipes/adding vegan foods but it looks like I would have to upgrade from the pro version to the maximum version which has subscription fees. So disapointing.

Are there any other food tracking phone apps that are user friendly/vegan friendly and that link to the fitbit?

I use MyFitnessPal and they have FitBit listed under apps. It seems like they seamlessly work together.

Now I'm thinking about getting a FitBit!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:29 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I love my fitbit! You can change your goals, set your stride, etc. I also really like the website design for the tracking - it's so pretty and encouraging. I also have the Aria scale that wirelessly syncs to the fitbit tracker. I wouldn't normally pay such an insane amount of money for a scale, but it's totally worth it to have a record of my weight over a year.

Also, the fitbit customer service team is amazing. My first fitbit wouldn't sync, so I emailed them and they mailed me a whole new product. Only the base station was bad, so my SO and I each took a tracker and shared the base station. He moved out and I emailed them asking if I could buy a replacement base station and they sent me a new one for free.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:33 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I am really liking my fitbit too! I tried using MFP to track my foods this week and I liked how much vegan food the database has and that it syncs so well with the fitbit buuut I found the MFP app kind of clunky to add food to.

Anyway I think I'm going to stick with my net diary and manually add my fitbit adjustment. I really like the charts I get so I can see how much I move around and it's very motivating to get me off my butt more often.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:50 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

I've become enthralled with the idea of the Jawbone Up https://jawbone.com/up because I would like to track my sleep as well as my every day activities. It is also supposed to easily interface with MyFitnessPal.

(For hardcore hiking and biking I have my Garmin, but its form factor and battery life doesn't lend itself to all the time wear.)

Everyone I know with a fitbit has lost or broken it and I like the design of the Up, but it has very mixed reviews.

Anyone here with any experience?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:25 am 
WRETCHED

I've read a lot of reviews that said the new fitbit flex is better than both the Jawbone UP and the Nike Fuelband. I've only read online reviews though so no one I know personally but since the fitbit flex is newish, I'd look into that too.

Oh and just after I wrote that, googled and found a review that rates the Jawbone UP slightly better, but you can look at the side by side comparison here:
http://www.businessinsider.com/fitbit-f ... -up-2013-5

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:00 am 

I really wanted a fitbit flex, but they are sold out/back-ordered everywhere! I have a fitbit zip and really like it, but I'm fascinated by the sleep tracking, and the zip doesn't have it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:01 am 
WRETCHED

Nd - check out Best Buy, it appears they have them in stock online and some of their stores have it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:03 am 

~Sz wrote:
I've become enthralled with the idea of the Jawbone Up https://jawbone.com/up because I would like to track my sleep as well as my every day activities. It is also supposed to easily interface with MyFitnessPal.

(For hardcore hiking and biking I have my Garmin, but its form factor and battery life doesn't lend itself to all the time wear.)

Everyone I know with a fitbit has lost or broken it and I like the design of the Up, but it has very mixed reviews.

Anyone here with any experience?

I actually also use the app Endomondo, which I can upload to from my garmin, and Endomondo syncs with MFP. It's an extra step, and might seem silly, but it works for me. I look at my lap times, elevation and whatnot.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:26 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

ndpittman wrote:

I actually also use the app Endomondo, which I can upload to from my garmin, and Endomondo syncs with MFP. It's an extra step, and might seem silly, but it works for me. I look at my lap times, elevation and whatnot.

OK -- this is relevant to my interests! I'll check this out in the meantime while I weigh the other options. Good to know!

I will check out that review -- thank you! Most reviews have the Flex and Up nose to nose; I don't care about bluetooth syncing and the Up supposedly has a better app, which is great, if the device itself works.

The Flex seems super bulky from photos I've seen, but maybe it will be an option.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:05 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Anyone use heart rate monitors? My boyfriend and I are looking at the Polar FT4, for general time/calories is the fitbit better? Why are there so many options? :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:10 pm 
WRETCHED

Well Fitbit is a 24 hour monitor for general movement and sleeping. Heart Rate Monitors are activity based like if you are going to the gym or going for a run, slap a HRM to see how many calories you burn during your workout. The HRM aren't designed to be worn full time and they aren't movement based, they are heart rate based.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:57 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

How funny this thread got revived! My husband just started as the first data scientist at fitbit on Monday. They were going to give us both Flexes but yeah, they're sold out so we were gives Ones. Today's my first day using it and so far I'm digging it! I can't speak to how it compares to any other devices since I've never used one but it is encouragjng me to be a lot more active. I like that it syncs with myfitnesspal. We also got the scale, which totally freaked me out by calculating my % body fat!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:04 am 

Right, couroupita! I find myself more interested in the % body fat than the weight on the scale, but then I'm like, how is it calculating this?! It makes a difference if I drink a glass of water beforehand.

I think the One seems like the better option than the Flex, but I think that now because I want to see how many steps I've climbed (I live on the 4th floor).

What linanil said regarding heart rate moniters, NomiMalone. They are cool when you wear them for a work out though in that you get a more accurate idea of how many calories you've burned. That being said, I've never gotten mine to work. Either that, or I should maybe see a cardiologist. I think it has more to do with the sensor being wet though.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:55 am 

okay, the fitbit one in burgundy was $78 on amazon, so it'll be here tuesday!

apparently i do need a gadget to tell me to get off my butt.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:09 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I didn't realize we had this thread! I'm in love with my flex.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:29 am 

I have a fitbit! I already love it so much more than the BodyFit thing.