| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12791 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89 ... 512  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:51 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I totally thought you were being serious, ACR. I just laughed out loud.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:37 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Oh man haha. It was a bit surprising but yeah I completely believed it!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:03 pm 
Semen Strong

In my mind, acr's scenario was completely David Lynch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:09 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

Tofulish wrote:
In my mind, acr's scenario was completely David Lynch

this is the nicest thing anyone's ever said about me. and i will think that even if you tell me that you hate david lynch.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:52 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

The boyfriend's work got boxes of chocolate....well, everyone but him. Then they want him to bring in vegan treats next week...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:53 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Hah. Yeah, I love that. I pretty much accept it, but if I don't bring things to work potlucks, I'll be considered "not a team player," but nobody brings things I can eat, even when they promise that they will.

I enjoy cooking and sharing yummy vega food, so I don't really mind.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:38 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Ariann wrote:
annak wrote:
My sister was doing some kind of paleo thing (maker's was still ok?) for a while, and she really did walk around with a bag of birdseed-looking trail mix. Harrumph.

Ha! We had a low-carber over for dinner who drank most of a bottle of wine. Methinks they are confused.

One of my closest friends has been doing Paleo on and off for a while, not because he wants to lose weight, but because some damn fool told him that it would cure his insomnia. So he read the Paleo guru book thingy and is now convinced he's "allergic" to all grains, legumes, potatoes, and nightshades. For a while he was eating cassava but now claims he's developed an allergy to that too. His evidence for this is based on how well he sleeps at night after eating any of these items. (It's all such pseudo-science, but he feels it helps him and I feel like it's not my business to burst his placebo bubble if it's working.)

Anyway, we recently had our breaks together at work, and he sat there munching on two packs of Chicken McNuggets because he'd forgotten his lunch at home, and that was the only thing he could get near work that fit his diet requirements. Meanwhile, I sat there eating garlic roasted potato wedges and ratatouille and he told me that because of his "allergies" a vegan diet would probably kill him.

He's truly one of my best friends and I love him, but... OY!

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:10 am 
WRETCHED

lepelaar wrote:
Ariann wrote:
annak wrote:
My sister was doing some kind of paleo thing (maker's was still ok?) for a while, and she really did walk around with a bag of birdseed-looking trail mix. Harrumph.

Ha! We had a low-carber over for dinner who drank most of a bottle of wine. Methinks they are confused.

One of my closest friends has been doing Paleo on and off for a while, not because he wants to lose weight, but because some damn fool told him that it would cure his insomnia. So he read the Paleo guru book thingy and is now convinced he's "allergic" to all grains, legumes, potatoes, and nightshades. For a while he was eating cassava but now claims he's developed an allergy to that too. His evidence for this is based on how well he sleeps at night after eating any of these items. (It's all such pseudo-science, but he feels it helps him and I feel like it's not my business to burst his placebo bubble if it's working.)

Anyway, we recently had our breaks together at work, and he sat there munching on two packs of Chicken McNuggets because he'd forgotten his lunch at home, and that was the only thing he could get near work that fit his diet requirements. Meanwhile, I sat there eating garlic roasted potato wedges and ratatouille and he told me that because of his "allergies" a vegan diet would probably kill him.

The funny thing is that your meal was closer to paleo than his was. I do feel bad for people that fall for the Paleo thing because honestly, no one can stick to it for long term. If they think prehistoric man ate like that, then they are mistaken. That also doesn't mean its the best diet for us now.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:26 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Tofulish wrote:
I had given them a recipe for blackbeans and sweet potato tacos with guac, and it generally takes me under 15 minutes to make and it took them 3 hours. Their lesson - vegan food is really hard to make. Seriously, the recipe is dice and fry sweet potato and onion, fry until soft and then add a can of black beans. Warm corn tortillas, make guac and serve.
ndpittman wrote:
That sounds really good!
It does; I'm totally going to do that, but I'll throw in some chard or kale because I am a freak about always wanting greens with my sweet potatoes!
ndpittman wrote:
Also, people suck. I'm glad that you didn't have to put up with that shiitake, Tofulish.
And this. Why would anyone be all proud of their plan to be a jerk to someone who is doing/sharing something nice? I'm glad that woman was disappointed.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:33 am 
Saggy Butt

lepelaar wrote:
Ariann wrote:
annak wrote:

But aren't McNuggets... breaded?

Did I miss the memo about McDick's reformulating their McNuggies to be coated with Authentic Neanderthal Grit?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:33 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I mentioned the breading to him and he said he didn't think the small amount of breading on there would make a difference. I decided I didn't want to delve further into it. But it's just so... illogical, all of it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:44 pm 
Saggy Butt

I'm sure this has been mentioned 100 times already, but this:

Quote:
I rarely eat meat, but when I do I only eat organic.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:48 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

oh, soy.
it will not give you manboobs, or teh gayz, or make you want to wear high heels if you're a man, not that any of those things have anything in common besides the fact that they are a rather accurate profile of your own prejudices and phobias....
so why do you insist on trying to convince me? i don't even eat that much soy anyway, but even if i did, i still wouldn't believe a single word of your anti-soy tirade.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:55 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Here's a truly vegan pet peeve: You've sniffed the soy milk (smells fine), given it a good shake, and when you pour it, globby little clumps plop out into your coffee/tea/cereal. *shudder*

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:06 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

walrus wrote:
I'm sure this has been mentioned 100 times already, but this:
Quote:
I rarely eat meat, but when I do I only eat organic.
I... eh... different people rationalise things differently, and whilst, for me, being vegan is a way of avoiding things I find unethical, there are people who think that by not only buying organic produce, I'm actively contributing to lowering soil quality and slow erosion on micro-ecosystems. I know my reasons for being vegan are probably different to yours, but this doesn't bother me that much. If it transpired that the person actually ate meat all the time and it was rarely organic, I'd have an issue with their bullshitting... I once had to call my boyfriend out about this. His "I always check that the meat is ethically reared and locally sourced" line was a work of fiction that he seemed to believe himself. Saying you do something isn't the same as doing something.

My current pet peeve, which I have just succumbed to myself, is the way that a mention of veganism is taken as an invitation to opine on the morality of whatever.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:13 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

"carnists"

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:19 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Having to tell people I am a vegetarian with a lactose and egg allergy so I'm not judged as a freak for being a vegan. Granted I do have a pretty harsh lactose intolerance but still.... I wish I could be proud of being a vegan without being unfairly judged.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:31 pm 
Grandfathered In

But in the last 20 years, there hasn't been a single person who actually eats only organic—or local—food.

Yes, not a single one.

And, yes, I've researched this.

And asked everyone.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:05 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

FootFace wrote:
But in the last 20 years, there hasn't been a single person who actually eats only organic—or local—food.

Yes, not a single one.

And, yes, I've researched this.

And asked everyone.

so so true! i've never tried to call anyone out on this, but i always want to say "oh, so you don't eat at restaurants or anyone else's home? you never have one lazy night where you get chinese take out? or if you do eat out, do you always eat vegan?" ok, just checking!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:14 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

But what if they were on a deserted island?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:31 pm 
Grandfathered In

Fee wrote:
But what if they were on a deserted island?

They'd eat the vegan.

Duh.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:35 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

One of my sister's paleo buds posting about his breakfast of bacon and eggs that he knew the names of the chickens who laid them. Good for you, pal. Enjoy that Gertie's menses. What bugs me about it is how forking smarmy he is about it. He's another one of those paleo-locavore holier than the Pope types and it's just like, dude, chill. Have a bowl of rice.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:43 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

GymClassZero wrote:
One of my sister's paleo buds posting about his breakfast of bacon and eggs that he knew the names of the chickens who laid them. Good for you, pal. Enjoy that Gertie's menses. What bugs me about it is how forking smarmy he is about it. He's another one of those paleo-locavore holier than the Pope types and it's just like, dude, chill. Have a bowl of rice.
Well, it's better than getting eggs from a factory farm. We all exist in shades of grey, and you shouldn't criticise someone for taking a few steps in the right direction.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:46 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

That's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is he acts like his eggs make him a better person than someone eating nonlocal eggs. I guess you'd have to talk to the guy to get what I'm saying- I've heard him and my sister discuss their diet and the locavore thing and then they talk about some nonlocal or even nonpaleo thing that they ate, just to blow my mind, I guess.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:47 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Gulliver, this is a thread for complaining about stuff. We all need to just vent once in a while. Better to do it here than to peoplens faces. Gymclasszero is complaining about someone who acts superior, not about someone who is simply taking a few steps in the right direction.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12791 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89 ... 512  Next