| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Request for ideas: murder mystery, 80s theme, GF
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:43 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I've been asked to cook for the 12 guests at a dear friend's murder mystery hen party in a couple of weeks. The game has an 80s high school reunion theme, but I've been told I can ignore it if I want. A couple of the guests are totally gluten free, there are a couple of vegetarians, there's me the vegan, and the rest are omnis.

I was thinking it could be fun to do a kitsch 80s-style meal with naff things like potato waffles, alphabeti spaghetti, veggie sausages... I'd really love some more ideas though! Maybe I should just ignore the theme and do a really nice Asian thing?

My question: what would you do?

Post subject: Re: Request for ideas: murder mystery, 80s theme, GF
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:01 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I would do yummy vegan burgers, fries, classic coleslaw, and milkshakes or root beer floats!

Breakfast for dinner could be fun too.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:25 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

My recollections of the 80s as a vegetarian was vegetable stacks, various layered vegetable loaf type things, & timbales. It seems everything was molded!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:58 am 
WRETCHED

Its hard for me to know what was different in the 80s vs the 70s but I found this list:
http://www.foodtimeline.org/fooddecades.html#1980s

I know we ate a lot of chinese takeout in the 80s, my mom experimented with curry chicken and I remember pita pocket sandwiches.

Although those aren't vegan dishes, that website can give you some ideas of 80s food. Some of things I never heard of but I imagine it is also regional.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:13 am 

Ooh, some great ideas here folks - thank you! You're right that there are big regional variations too, lilanil.

I forgot to mention that a butler in the buff will be helping me serve. Oh God...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:56 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

linanil wrote:
Its hard for me to know what was different in the 80s vs the 70s but I found this list:
http://www.foodtimeline.org/fooddecades.html#1980s

I know we ate a lot of chinese takeout in the 80s, my mom experimented with curry chicken and I remember pita pocket sandwiches.

Although those aren't vegan dishes, that website can give you some ideas of 80s food. Some of things I never heard of but I imagine it is also regional.

I was just going to post this link! I looked it up, because even though I grew up (well was a kid) in the 80's, that era did not have a really defined cusine. People were starting to eat healthier, and starting to branch out with more worldly foods, but it was more of a bridge between the 70's (which had a clearly defined cusine) and the 90's where the low-fat, low carb, super healthy and wordly foods really began.

Maybe featuring some products that were well known in the 80's? Scroll down to the 80s section, and I think that the list of products that were around might be a good indication.

Remember pudding pops? You can TOTALLY make those yourself, vegan and GF. They were very very 80's. I also remember some stuff like ring pops, fruit roll ups, and candy neckalces and stuff. QUICHE for some reason was a really popular food. We ate that a lot. Also, it is pretty easy to veganize. You can even do crustless for the GF folks.

Another idea is to play with the social themes of the time. Check This out. It sounds super fun.
http://www.ehow.com/info_8562418_80s-th ... ideas.html

Great ideas there.

I like this 80's theme idea. But if you do nothing else, you MUST MAKE PUDDING POPS.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:34 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Chicken patties. I remember a LOT of chicken patties. I don't know offhand what brands are vegan, but you could do a tartar sauce (vegenaise + pickle relish) on toasted buns? Or Isa's tempeh helper? For appetizers maybe something inspired by lunchables? Or maybe serve dinner in TV dinner trays? I know these were kind of 50s ish but I associate them with the '80s, I guess because of the hungry man connection.

I know the strawberry-kiwi trend was a little later, but kiwis kinda emerged in the '80s, no?

Are corn nuts vegan (probably not GF)? Because there's the "corn...nuts.." death scene in Heathers.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:36 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Also, this is more "murder" themed than '80s themed, but for a recent feminist book club meeting where we were reading "Women Who Kill," I made glass shard cupcakes:

http://www.marthastewart.com/856109/bro ... s-cupcakes

I used VCTOTW recipes incl. basic chocolate cupcakes and cream cheese frosting instead of Martha's. The glass was cooked to halfway between soft and hard crack temperature on my candy thermometer, I say this because the first time I didn't cook it long enough and had to redo! They were fun to make, though.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:48 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Was born in 87, so I missed out. But I do remember a lot of chicken patties in my youth. Every time I eat a Boca chick'n patty I'm reminded of my Elementary school cafeteria. Also, wasn't fondue a big craze back then?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:43 am 

You lot are the best: this is going to be retro heaven. I'll try to get pics, but no promises as... this is a hen.

I really love the glass shard cakes too - hope I get time to make them! Think I'll have to delegate some work to the butler in the buff, although the prospect of stray hairs scares me.