| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Subbing grounds for espresso powder
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:23 am 
Naked Under Apron

I planned on making the espresso brownies from VCTOTW today and bought a jar of espresso grounds at the store. I didn't realize that espresso powder is not just ground espresso beans. Oops. What can I do as a sub? I really want to make these for a potluck tomorrow. Can I just use the grounds or will that be too bitter? Should I brew them and use the liquid in place of a bit of liquid in the rest of the recipe?

Thanks for your help!

PS: Kicking myself for buying the expensive espresso grounds since the most common sub for this is instant coffee. Much cheaper. Oh well...

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Subbing grounds for espresso powder
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:25 am 
Chard Martyr

I'd leave it out. Those brownies are still suuuuper good without the espresso. It might be ok with the powder, but I'd be afraid that it'd be gritty.
Is there any liquid in the recipe? I can't remember, but if there is, maybe you could brew some espresso to use in place of the liquid.

ETA: duh, you already said the brewing thing. yes. do that.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:30 am 
Naked Under Apron

ijustdiedinside wrote:
I'd leave it out. Those brownies are still suuuuper good without the espresso. It might be ok with the powder, but I'd be afraid that it'd be gritty.
Is there any liquid in the recipe? I can't remember, but if there is, maybe you could brew some espresso to use in place of the liquid.

ETA: duh, you already said the brewing thing. yes. do that.

So I just realized I don't actually have a way to brew the espresso. Oh well. Good to know they are good without it! I'm going to go ahead and make them without and just save these fancy illy grounds for the freezer and a rainy day ;)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:38 am 
Not NOT A Furry

pickledtreats wrote:
So I just realized I don't actually have a way to brew the espresso. Oh well. Good to know they are good without it! I'm going to go ahead and make them without and just save these fancy illy grounds for the freezer and a rainy day ;)

You could brew the espresso mocca style: just pour boiling water on top and pour it off after a while. Sure, it won't make authentic espresso but at least something with a strong coffee flavour!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:42 am 
Naked Under Apron

Lily wrote:
pickledtreats wrote:

You could brew the espresso mocca style: just pour boiling water on top and pour it off after a while. Sure, it won't make authentic espresso but at least something with a strong coffee flavour!

I actually bought myself a little bialetti percolator for Christmas it just hasn't been delivered yet. We got rid of our coffee maker when my boyfriend stopped drinking caffeine. It made really shitty coffee anyway. I've been missing a good cup on the weekends, though, so I bought a 3-cup Bialetti. Just waiting for it to dispatch so I can enjoy my coffee!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:10 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I use espresso grounds instead of espresso powder all the time. I don't think it makes it gritty or bitter. Maybe it's not the best solution, but I don't care.

ETA: Okay, maybe it makes it a little gritty. Whatever.

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]